Out & About

TexasTVNews

Another DC powerhouse is leaving their post. After 44 years, Bruce Johnson is retiring from WUSA on December 31. Another day, another institution exits. 

I'll be honest, it got me thinking of the recently-departed from WTTG and I'm wondering if they might be asked to fill the void (and thus also increase the # of WTTG --> WUSA moves in recent years).

Edited by Roadrunner

9 minutes ago, ScottSchell said:

I haven't seen this posted but KOLR 10/ Ozarks Fox meteorologist Elisa Raffa has left to join Nexstar station Fox46 in Charlotte.

That's interesting.  She makes the third person I know to join WJZY after leaving KOLR10.

17 minutes ago, ScottSchell said:

I haven't seen this posted but KOLR 10/ Ozarks Fox meteorologist Elisa Raffa has left to join Nexstar station Fox46 in Charlotte.

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

That's interesting.  She makes the third person I know to join WJZY after leaving KOLR10.

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Leaving her former station was difficult for her 

1 hour ago, AaronQ said:

Who were the other 2?

Lindsay Clein -- a news anchor who is still there at last check

Meteorologist John Zeigler -- he was only at WJZY for a short time before going to a different station

Edited by TheRyan

WGCL's morning anchor Karyn Greer is leaving the morning anchor shift for a management role at the station. She's becoming the 'content and community engagement manager,' involving her more in talent mentorship, story development, etc. Note that she is retaining her noon anchor role and will also lead certain key reports. Replacing her at mornings is Rob Hughes from WCNC. Amid Meredith turmoil, at least the station's smart to keep someone as well-known as Karyn around.

13 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Lindsay Clein -- a news anchor who is still there at last check

She is still there, and her family lives in Winston-Salem I believe so hopefully she will stick around a while. The station needs some stability. She took Diana Alvear’s 6 and 10:00 spot when she left in February. 

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dman748 said:

WSYM to launch a full scale news department per TVNewsCheck

No word yet on when they're going to start full scale in house newscasts or which timeslots will it be occupied by local news.

RBR+TVBR suggests it will launch by early 2021. As for timeslots, I'm guessing the existing 5:30 and 10:00 newscasts will stay, which leaves open if they'll add a morning show or expand their early evening news by 30 to 90 minutes.

39 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

RBR+TVBR suggests it will launch by early 2021. As for timeslots, I'm guessing the existing 5:30 and 10:00 newscasts will stay, which leaves open if they'll add a morning show or expand their early evening news by 30 to 90 minutes.

...or both.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:38 AM, Roadrunner said:

WGCL's morning anchor Karyn Greer is leaving the morning anchor shift for a management role at the station. She's becoming the 'content and community engagement manager,' involving her more in talent mentorship, story development, etc. Note that she is retaining her noon anchor role and will also lead certain key reports. Replacing her at mornings is Rob Hughes from WCNC. Amid Meredith turmoil, at least the station's smart to keep someone as well-known as Karyn around.

I'm happy for Karyn she's been in Atlanta for quite some time. She knows the landscape of that market.

2 other tid bits about WGCL

1. They'll be revealing their new, redesigned news set next week

2. I heard that Fred Campagna might be getting moved to the weekend meteorologist anchor spot.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheWatcherAtl said:

Oh I definitely did not know this was happening (admittedly not an avid WGCL watcher). There's no thread for the new set on here either. Do you know how big of a change it will be? The last change debuted in 2014. 

3 hours ago, TheWatcherAtl said:

I'm happy for Karyn she's been in Atlanta for quite some time. She knows the landscape of that market.

2 other tid bits about WGCL

2. I heard that Fred Campagna might be getting moved to the weekend meteorologist anchor spot.

She did a facebook video about it and Karyn in her later 50s and I'm glad she gets to keep anchoring noon news & and doing other things. She started at 46 when it was WGNX as Indy/CBS for 10 years. Jump over to WXIA/11 for another 16 yrs and back at 46.

WGCL/CBS46 has either tied with 11ALIVE or beating them. There alot of things 46 can do to overtake 11 in other time slots. Karyn been in the market since 1988 for over 30 years,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

WFAA 8's Marie Saavedra's final newscast was tonight. She's leaving News 8 to accept a job closer to her family.

From what I know, she's from Chicago. It's encouraging to see her continue in news so we should be keeping eyes on what vacancy she'll be filling (...or person she'll be replacing) in or near the Chicago area.

Edited by Roadrunner

On 10/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, TexasTVNews said:

Spectrum News 1 is coming to Dallas/Ft. Worth, and they're already hiring new and familiar faces.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/2020/10/06/brett-shipp-joins-spectrum-as-it-expands-its-hyperlocal-tv-news-coverage-to-north-texas/

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/10-06-20-spectrum-news-brett-shipp/

Spectrum News 1 DFW is expect to launch next week (Oct. 16th).

This actually soft debuted today and it was atrocious. I’ve never seen a newscast with so many technical errors. During the 6a hour, they repeatedly dumped out in the middle of stories to start playing commercials, they went to black several times, their bug and ticker were up over some of the commercials and worst of all one of the weather segments they played was from a rehearsal from last week when they were waiting for Delta to still make landfall. 

The anchors stood the whole time. The desk was visible pushed into a corner when they did a bump shot at the end of the show, which was short by about 2 minutes. 

On 10/10/2020 at 5:20 AM, Breaking News said:

WGCL/CBS46 has either tied with 11ALIVE or beating them. There alot of things 46 can do to overtake 11 in other time slots. Karyn been in the market since 1988 for over 30 years,

And while we’re sticking with WGCL: Chief Meteorologist Jennifer Valdez announced live on her Facebook Monday that she’s going to be working evenings and nights (4:00, 5:00, 6:00, 9:00 (WPCH), and 11:00) effective immediately rather than days and evenings.

Burns, Chandley, and Holcomb better brace themselves!

Edited by johnnya2k6