Out & About

TexasTVNews

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Yeah I didn’t like when WNCN went with CBS North Carolina when they first switched to CBS in 2016. That was a slap in the face to all the CBS affiliates all over the state, especially legacy affiliates WBTV and WFMY that have always been a primary affiliate since the late 40s, early 50s.

But WNCN's focus at the time was putting greater emphasis on news from across the state (hence the newscast title "North Carolina News").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tw-804 said:

But WNCN's focus at the time was putting greater emphasis on news from across the state (hence the newscast title "North Carolina News").

WRAL TV has always been number 1. When  it was a CBS affiliate it remained number 1, even after the switch to NBC. CBS dropped WRAL TV and NBC was happy to  affiliate.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, jero23 said:

Uh here's the problem with the market, it's the Birmingham DMA. The degradation of the branding of the local TV news operations is one of the reasons why most don't even respect Birmingham as a major US city now. It's in the top 50 largest metropolitan areas in the US for Christ sake. Nobody should be calling the ABC affiliate for Birmingham "ABC Alabama" .

Not to mention the fringes of the Birmingham DMA were also their own markets...the western side was Tuscaloosa, and the other side was Anniston.  33 was the CBS affiliate for Tuscaloosa, and 40 was the CBS for Anniston.  This was another factor in WBMG's doormat status as their own signal sucked in the Birmingham area at the time, and the fringes could watch these stations more reliably on their side of town.

Well before WBRC got Fox, WDBB put on a 9pm newscast in the 80s, and was the ORIGINAL Fox affiliate for the Birmingham area, while being a Tuscaloosa station.  They later signed on WNAL in Gadsden as a satellite (now WPXH), which almost became the eastern half of Albritton's operation.  Neither station penetrated Birmingham well, so it eventually went to Birmingham-based WTTO, who bought WDBB, moved the license to Bessemer, and made it a satellite of WTTO, as well as relaying on WNAL.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

It was the other way around. WRAL-TV dropped CBS.

Nah, it was the other way around, more CBS dropped WRAL-TV they could’ve still stayed CBS for a long time, it was Les Moonves Greed at the time on affiliation fees. To the CBS North Carolina branding yes it was reflective to WNCN the call letters represented that and yes they had an emphasis on covering news from the whole state. Did it cause confusion yes cause confusion yes because people thought it was the CBS affiliate for the whole state and other NC affiliates felt slapped in the face. And it was just a bogus, whack branding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Nah, it was the other way around, more CBS dropped WRAL-TV they could’ve still stayed CBS for a long time, it was Les Moonves Greed at the time on affiliation fees. To the CBS North Carolina branding yes it was reflective to WNCN the call letters represented that and yes they had an emphasis on covering news from the whole state. Did it cause confusion yes cause confusion yes because people thought it was the CBS affiliate for the whole state and other NC affiliates felt slapped in the face. And it was just a bogus, whack branding.

I thought it was more Media General wanting to even the score after CBS left WISH in the dust. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

I thought it was more Media General wanting to even the score after CBS left WISH in the dust. 

It was LIN that dropped that ball.  It lowered the value of LIN as a whole by over 100 million dollars.

It seems that if the network even has the sense that the affiliate is going to balk, they take their ball and go to who wants to p(l)ay. 

CBC Raleigh likely did the same, and CBS would rather align with a major broadcaster (who was about to be taken over by Nexstar) and scale up.  Plus. NBC was more than willing to finally upgrade their presence after being "cursed" for decades on WRDU/WPTF/WRDC and later WNCN....

According to the banner at the top of their website, KOAA will be launching a 4 p.m. newscast next Monday, September 14th. Can’t tell who will be anchoring from the promos I’ve seen, unless they’re just keeping the same evening anchor team.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

On 8/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, ttvn2000 said:

Melissa Andrews has finally been named evening anchor at WTOL, reuniting with Andrew Kinsey.  She replaces Kristi Leigh, now at KMPH. 

https://www.wtol.com/article/about-us/melissa-andrews-wtol-11-new-evening-anchor-toledo/512-b98c0b45-3585-43b0-955a-fc5808f91790

And now, Andrew Kinsey is leaving to replace Jerry Revish at WBNS.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/local/andrew-kinsey-joins-wbns-10tv-as-evening-news-co-anchor/530-5a9e8a19-7475-4ea5-a898-c55fd4f2a623

Lots of volatility at the WTOL anchor desk this year.  To be expected since WTOL is firmly in second place and Toledo is shrinking from a DMA perspective.  Maybe they’ll pick up Jeff Smith from WTVG?  Doubtful...since he would likely cost $$.

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

And now, Andrew Kinsey is leaving to replace Jerry Revish at WBNS.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/local/andrew-kinsey-joins-wbns-10tv-as-evening-news-co-anchor/530-5a9e8a19-7475-4ea5-a898-c55fd4f2a623

Lots of volatility at the WTOL anchor desk this year.  To be expected since WTOL is firmly in second place and Toledo is shrinking from a DMA perspective.  Maybe they’ll pick up Jeff Smith from WTVG?  Doubtful...since he would likely cost $$.

I thought WBNS would go after Mark Taylor after he left WCMH to replace Revish.  Wouldn't a more familiar face be a better option to join the evening desk as opposed to someone from another market?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

I thought WBNS would go after Mark Taylor after he left WCMH to replace Revish.  Wouldn't a more familiar face be a better option to join the evening desk as opposed to someone from another market?

That’s what I would’ve thought as well, seeing that Mark had a pretty strong following in the market.  Maybe, if they intend on filling the Scott Light slot, they could pursue Taylor for that?  

I am honestly surprised by this move - and think it would’ve went a different direction if Dispatch still owned 10TV.  One thing jd clear -  the days of superstars like Andrea Cambern are looooong gone.  

But, as an aside, I’ve been bewildered by many anchor assignments made in Ohio this year.  (Inskeep over Johansen at WKRC, Johansen displacing Taylor at WCMH, Kerry replacing Mike Jackson at WCMH, Kristi Leigh leaving her home market and WTOL taking 7 months to fill that seat internally, Laura Caso/Sara Shookman swap at WKYC, etc...)

53 minutes ago, evwalker0901 said:

uh wow. Shawn leaving was largely (ish) considered to be the last straw for many of the commenters throughout Fox 5's social media after Allison's departure. I felt like this was probably coming sooner or later, but didn't expect it this soon. And it's also another pretty unceremonious departure for a veteran anchor -- really questioning what kind of gameplay the GM has been going for as of late, and if they're intentionally trying to alienate a core part of their viewing area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evwalker0901 said:

Shawn Yancy’s first story assignment at FOX 5 was covering the 9/11 terrorist attacks from the Pentagon

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

uh wow. Shawn leaving was largely (ish) considered to be the last straw for many of the commenters throughout Fox 5's social media after Allison's departure. I felt like this was probably coming sooner or later, but didn't expect it this soon. And it's also another pretty unceremonious departure for a veteran anchor -- really questioning what kind of gameplay the GM has been going for as of late, and if they're intentionally trying to alienate a core part of their viewing area.

Yes, something is definitely going on. In the market, for our African American community, (specially us Millennials) WTTG was the go-to largely thanks to her and Allison.  WTTG is going to hurt from this definitely! I wonder if we will get more insight soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

Yes, something is definitely going on. In the market, for our African American community, (specially us Millennials) WTTG was the go-to largely thanks to her and Allison.  WTTG is going to hurt from this definitely! I wonder if we will get more insight soon. 

It sucks to have two people who've pretty much become family just leave in such an unpredictable way. I empathize with the pain. WRC is the indisputable ratings leader in the market, but for mornings, do you think people (or anyone channel surfing besides 5) in general have been more drawn to News4 Today or WUSA's Get Up DC! instead? (especially with Annie & Tony jumping ship over there)

-------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: 

If what FTVLive is saying is true, then Gary McGrady (ALSO from Fox 5) will be leaving come next week. He's a 16-year veteran meteorologist currently doing weekend mornings. The team keeps getting decimated over there. 

Edited by Roadrunner

On 9/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, CLETVFan said:

WBNS should be groveling to get Jeff Hogan back which I'm sure he sitting on top of the world at WRAL.  Jeff and Yolanda would of been great together. Marky -Mark ok but nothing to write home about.  For TEGNA it another cheap hire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

WBNS should be groveling to get Jeff Hogan back which I'm sure he sitting on top of the world at WRAL.  Jeff and Yolanda would of been great together. Marky -Mark ok but nothing to write home about.  For TEGNA it another cheap hire.

Taylor is not cheap.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, Roadrunner said:

It sucks to have two people who've pretty much become family just leave in such an unpredictable way. I empathize with the pain. WRC is the indisputable ratings leader in the market, but for mornings, do you think people (or anyone channel surfing besides 5) in general have been more drawn to News4 Today or WUSA's Get Up DC! instead? (especially with Annie & Tony jumping ship over there)

-------------------------------------------------

Edited to add: 

If what FTVLive is saying is true, then Gary McGrady (ALSO from Fox 5) will be leaving come next week. He's a 16-year veteran meteorologist currently doing weekend mornings. The team keeps getting decimated over there. 

This is odd. Departures happen but three long tenured personalities in the matter of weeks is unusual without something else at play.

• Like 1