Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 8/8/2020 at 2:46 AM, CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI said:

A friend of Allison's said something about how Allison was pushed out, for younger talent, and how management prefers Holly Morris, and Erin (Don't know the last name), etc. It was a lot in the post. I'm sure there will be more insight on it in the coming days. 

On 8/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, evwalker0901 said:

What did the post say about Allison  @CLT-DCA-ORF-PTI? It’s not avail now. 

Not sure if this is the one (someone else can verify), but I found this --

Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee13ujPWoAE5bN1?format=jpg&name=medium

Twitter 'source'/thread: https://twitter.com/lifeofjaneeee/status/1291820313366405124

Whatever the reasons were, Allison's very abrupt departure is seriously bad optics, especially given how long she had been at the station and resonated with the community.

Not that this is anything related at all, but can't forget how Fox 5 has lost other big DMV names within the last few years, like Tony Perkins and Annie Yu, and has also seen its fair share of controversies in the past.

Anyways, in the case that these accusations of her being forced out are verified as fact, then we'll see if these changes really make the difference Fox 5 wants.

Edited by Roadrunner

8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Twitter 'source'/thread: https://twitter.com/lifeofjaneeee/status/1291820313366405124

Whatever the reasons were, Allison's very abrupt departure is seriously bad optics, especially given how long Allison had been at the station and resonated with the community.

Not that this is anything related at all, but can't forget how Fox 5 has lost other big DMV names within the last few years, like Tony Perkins and Annie Yu, and has also seen its fair share of controversies in the past.

Anyways, in the case that these accusations of her being forced out are verified as fact, then we'll see if these changes really make the difference Fox 5 wants.

This is all such a shame. I was born and raised in the DMV and waking up to her was such a joy! Fox 5 has made some really bad choices the past few years - it’s a shame to see what’s happening there. Hopefully Allison lands on her feet on tv here again in the DMV. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Whatever the reasons were, Allison's very abrupt departure is seriously bad optics, especially given how long she had been at the station and resonated with the community.

Maybe Allison leaving was her plan anyway, she notified management & putting Angie on mornings for the “month of April” was a test drive for Allison’s replacement

Something you don't see every day. Someone base jumped over at an apartment complex over in Cleveland and crashed into the WOIO/WUAB studios hanging for dear life. The person has a broken leg and the incident happened Sunday at 2am. Disclaimer: The video of the incident is pretty graphic. https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/08/09/man-breaks-leg-after-base-jumping-off-apartment-roof-crashing-into-news-station/

Edited by AaronQ

John LaPorte is quitting from his post as KIRO ND after a year to head back to Milwaukee to be WDJT's Assistant ND. LaPorte was the architect of WITI's quiet rise to market leader over the past decade, so this is a huge (much needed) boost.  He will new GM join Anne Brown, another ex WITI-er

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/8/11/breaking-seattle-news-director-up-and-quits-after-barely-a-year-on-the-job

6 hours ago, mposeymil said:

John LaPorte is quitting from his post as KIRO ND after a year to head back to Milwaukee to be WDJT's Assistant ND. LaPorte was the architect of WITI's quiet rise to market leader over the past decade, so this is a huge (much needed) boost.  He will new GM join Anne Brown, another ex WITI-er

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/8/11/breaking-seattle-news-director-up-and-quits-after-barely-a-year-on-the-job

There’s no way he’s #2 for long. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 11:39 PM, CircleSeven said:

A small M&A. But a key one at that.

Aperio Communications is selling its Fresno's MyNetworkTV station KAIL 7 to Christian broadcaster, TCT (Radiant Life Ministries) for $2.2M.

Not only it airs the MyNet programming, but the station airs KFSN's hourly 8pm newscast every weeknight, and a repeat of Action News Midday at 1pm.

The question would be if TCT decides to dump MyNet, which station would take the affiliation along with the syndie shows with it? KAIL also carry many diginets (H&I, Light TV, This & Ion).

I asked this because while TCT would normally replace the secular shows for their own once transaction ends, it recently bought a station in the Mississippi Delta (WFXW) they have kept the Ion stream on a subchannel.

I see either Nexstar or Sinclair taking the MNT affiliation in Fresno. Additionally whoever does will likely assume the production responsibilities of the 8pm newscast from KFSN.

EDIT: Somehow we missed this one. Sonya Heitshusen is leaving WHO 13 after 17 years in Des Moines (h/t @ColtFromGulfcoast

https://who13.com/news/sonya-heitshusen-says-farewell-after-17-years-at-who-13/

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

KTHV will welcome back former morning and chief meteorologist Tom Brannon as their current chief (Ed Buckner) is still on an extended leave since February due to complications of Tourette’s Syndrome.

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/local/ed-buckner-leave-of-absence/91-e3f3695d-293b-44f2-a4d1-88f995d3e6df

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/local/tom-brannon-new-chief-meteorologist-as-ed-goes-on-leave/91-ab93e6a6-c111-4e40-97db-12bc25ee55b5

WJZY just hired a new news director and his first move is now not starting their weekend editions of Good Day Charlotte until 6am

They are adding more infomercials. No biggie at 5am on weekends. Don’t think this is really a big loss. I don’t think that many people could have been watching a weekend newscast that early on a 5th place station. That said, hopefully  it means they are eventually expanding during the week. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, Nelson R. said:

WJZY just hired a new news director and his first move is now not starting their weekend editions of Good Day Charlotte until 6am

They are adding more infomercials. No biggie at 5am on weekends. Don’t think this is really a big loss. I don’t think that many people could have been watching a weekend newscast that early on a 5th place station. That said, hopefully  it means they are eventually expanding during the week. 

His first move should have been extending Good Day Charlotte from 5AM to 10AM Monday through Friday rather than contracting the hours on news broadcasting aired...  The idea as Charlotte getting bigger in this rapid clip as it is poised to do is to make WJZY a more news-intensive major market Fox affiliate, not one that treats news like it's a second thought. I laugh at every move that Nexstar has made from the rush to shift the website to the obtuse usage of searchlights and kitebox when it should have been retired with the subtle over-the-air changes, to these moves of newscast hours reduction. It's going to make things worse rather than better for the station.

Strangely enough, WSOC-TV has adopted a new on-air bug logo with the ABC logo attached to the main 9 logo in the lower right hand corner.  Interesting it is airing during the ABC-Disney Television produced, Tamron Hall Show.   See below in the attachment

WSOC_TV_08_17_2020.png

Edited by jero23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

His first move should have been extending Good Day Charlotte from 5AM to 10AM Monday through Friday rather than contracting the hours on news broadcasting aired...  The idea as Charlotte getting bigger in this rapid clip as it is poised to do is to make WJZY a more news-intensive major market Fox affiliate, not one that treats news like it's a second thought. I laugh at every move that Nexstar has made from the rush to shift the website to the obtuse usage of searchlights and kitebox when it should have been retired with the subtle over-the-air changes, to these moves of newscast hours reduction. It's going to make things worse rather than better for the station.

Strangely enough, WSOC-TV has adopted a new on-air bug logo with the ABC logo attached to the main 9 logo in the lower right hand corner.  Interesting it is airing during the ABC-Disney Television produced, Tamron Hall Show.   See below in the attachment

WSOC_TV_08_17_2020.png

I hope the Good Day Charlotte extension is next. May have to wait for syndication contracts to expire. What I could see is WMYT taking 25 Words or Less when America Says is cancelled in a few weeks. And I’d like to see WJZY’s new schedule be something like this:

9am Good Day Charlotte extension

10am Rachael Ray

11am Kelly Clarkson

Noon Dr. Oz

1pm The Real

The rest stay the same

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nelson R. said:

I hope the Good Day Charlotte extension is next. May have to wait for syndication contracts to expire. 

I've found it somewhat amazing that Charlotte goes from 3 stations at 8:00 to zero at 9:00 and that even WBTV saw it not worth doing a 9:00 by going the lifestyle route instead. 9:00 is very low hanging fruit especially since most of the markets of size surrounding Charlotte are already there.

12 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I've found it somewhat amazing that Charlotte goes from 3 stations at 8:00 to zero at 9:00 and that even WBTV saw it not worth doing a 9:00 by going the lifestyle route instead. 9:00 is very low hanging fruit especially since most of the markets of size surrounding Charlotte are already there.

Especially since they decided to go the lifestyle route again at 3. QC at 3 is basically a clone of QC in the Morning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Yeah Charlotte is the standout market area out of both Carolinas in all aspects except its local news operations. Most of the news operations here scream small to medium size market. WSOC tries to break that mode, but is in the shadow of WBTV and its folksy product.  WCNC is having an identity crisis from Tegna's shifts "NBC Charlotte" branding to "WCNC" with a tiny NBC peacock logo; NBCUNIVERSAL/Comcast might need to buy them to fix that and help them elevate the news op. WCCB is folksy while attempting to be young and hip but no... Fox blew it with its launch of WJZY but gotten better as it went on. However, Nexstar needs to not revert to folksyness because WJZY will wind up remaining dead last permanently.

Mark my words the major networks are looking at Charlotte because of its emergence as a major city and market along with professional sports franchises along with NASCAR.

Yet the Charlotte market area punches well above its weight. It's like the twilight zone one is in understanding why folksyness is still prevalent in the local news operations. It needs to present major market news. The newly arrived transplants like myself love embracing of the local history and culture of "Centralina" as a region. Nevertheless, the local news products must also embrace that Charlotte is a now 3M+ metro and huge transportation (CLT airport) hub of a market trade area of an additional 300-400K more people outside of the metro area counties. 

Edited by jero23

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Not too sure what they're going to use it for, post-build.

But SagamoreHill owns the Lake Charles CBS/MyNet LP combo KSWL/KWWE. They recently bought it from Waypoint Media late last year.

EDIT: I was looking at the contours of K24DX and the two LPs. And 24's contour serves the east-central section of KSWL/KWWE's viewing area. So I'm thinking is SagamoreHill will probably move that 24 signal to KSWL's tower. Because not only they air CBS & MyNet, but they also carry MeTV & Telemundo. I wouldn't be surprised if they move one of those networks on the new signal to relieve bandwidth of the two other channels.

If those are LP's, they don't count towards the national cap. On that thought - Lake Charles is the only market in Louisiana that Nexstar is absent in. Maybe that's something they should look into?

1 hour ago, bhratbrat said:

Really, WRTV should be kicking themselves for letting Ray go when they did.

Yep!  I always thought Ray was underrated when he was paired with Martha Weaver.  They then tried that "Todd and Tricia" thing...and since then, RTV hasn't really had a notable team...

4 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Yep!  I always thought Ray was underrated when he was paired with Martha Weaver.  They then tried that "Todd and Tricia" thing...and since then, RTV hasn't really had a notable team...

The best anchor team at WRTV throughout the 70s, 80, 90s, and 2000s were Caldwell, Lee and Willis.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 2