Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, TexasTVNews said:

Two big 25th anniversaries taken place here in The Lone Star State. 25 years ago today (7/1/95) in Austin, KTBC and KBVO switched network affiliations. KTBC said so long to CBS and said hello to FOX, while KBVO said goodbye to FOX and jump to CBS. And KBVO changed the call letters to K-EYE the next day.

(7/2/95) 25 years ago tomorrow, three TV stations in Dallas/Fort Worth made the switch to new networks. KDFW - CBS to FOX, KTVT - Ind to CBS, and KDAF - FOX to Ind, and later WB.

What a difference 25 years makes for both cities in Texas.

Today though, (7/1/95) marks 25 years since the dawn of a new era for News 4 Texas as the CBS era came to a close that night. Last 2 CBS Programs to have aired on ch. 4 were saturday night staples: Dr. Quinn, Medicine WomanWalker, Texas Ranger

Edited by justin2kx

9 hours ago, BobW said:

Scott Light has left WBNS in Columbus. This leaves Yolanda Harris anchoring solo in the evenings. 

https://www.facebook.com/53828014368/posts/10159207054139369/?d=n

Scott worked at KPNX & WGCL...Seems like a nice guy but was a bore on tv. It be a game changer if BNS go and bring Jeff Hogan back. He wanted that main anchor gig. That would be a game changer. BNS has sunken to the abyss..

Word seems to be that Fox is starting its trimming this month, with developments happening over time instead of like CBS massacre-style.

Not related to July, but I found the ones below who have exited just in the past few days.

• Marcel Clarke, weeknight anchor at KTBC, no longer has any mention of Fox 7 in her bios and her bio's also missing from the website. Her LinkedIn confirms the departure.
  • Paul Wagner, 20-year veteran reporter at WTTG, signed off last night. He made it a point (in the video with Mayor Bowser) that he wasn't actually retiring and was looking at different options. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Brooke Zauner also joined WAGA in early-June. 

Edited by Roadrunner

4 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Scott worked at KPNX & WGCL...Seems like a nice guy but was a bore on tv. It be a game changer if BNS go and bring Jeff Hogan back. He wanted that main anchor gig. That would be a game changer. BNS has sunken to the abyss..

I think WBNS's glory days are long gone, especially with Tegna at the helm.  There have been a lot of people who have since left the station, both on-air and behind the scenes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I think WBNS's glory days are long gone, especially with Tegna at the helm.  There have been a lot of people who have since left the station, both on-air and behind the scenes.

Yep.  I don’t see Hogan leaving WRAL for TEGNA. They should’ve never botched the Revish transition by moving Hogan to weekends and bringing in Scalia. Hogan and Harris would have been a great pairing.

I am speculating here, but I have a feeling we could see Mark Taylor pop up on 10TV. He gained a following at WCMH, and if he was planning a move to WBNS, it puts his weekend demotion and non-renewal into context.  WBNS always poaches talent from the others. Even if Dispatch is no longer in control, this still seems like a possibility.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkTaylor/status/1278013879067586561

• Like 1

17 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Today though, (7/1/95) marks 25 years since the dawn of a new era for News 4 Texas as the CBS era came to a close that night. Last 2 CBS Programs to have aired on ch. 4 were saturday night staples: Dr. Quinn, Medicine WomanWalker, Texas Ranger

Was also 42 years since WSOC went from NBC to ABC, WRET (now WCNC) went from independence to NBC and WCCB went from ABC to independence, and 7 years since WJZY took the Fox affiliation and WCCB switched to the CW after FTS bought WJZY and WMYT from Capitol Broadcasting.

Edited by Nelson R.

16 minutes ago, BobW said:

Veteran reporter Glenn McEntyre is the latest to depart 10TV news(WBNS). 

Scott Light just left. Was it his decision? Sounds like he wasn't chosen to be Jerry's permanent replacement. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, BobW said:

Veteran reporter Glenn McEntyre is the latest to depart 10TV news(WBNS). 

6 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Scott Light just left. Was it his decision? Sounds like he wasn't chosen to be Jerry's permanent replacement. 

Ever since TEGNA moved in on Twin Rivers Dr it been a mad rush of people to leave the former Wolfe facilities.  I heard the GM is a piece of work!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Oh boy. KFSN is about to get "pinned". Wonder where they got that idea from........

They're 35 years late on the draw for that, aren't they? That's about how long its been since they became an O&O through the CapCities/ABC merger, and WABC, KABC, WLS and KGO had been using the "Circle 7" pins even then.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Oh boy. KFSN is about to get "pinned". Wonder where they got that idea from........

Yeah uh, man WABC (New York), KABC (Los Angeles), WLS (Chicago) KGO (San Francisco) and for a time WTVD (Raleigh) and WPVI (Philadelphia) we’re doing it for a time, yeah there new to the game KFSN is. All the stations I mentioned were emulating this since KABC and WLS started this years ago. I think WXYZ (Detroit) when it was a ABC O&O was using there own variation of the pins. KFSN in Fresno sure are late breeders...

Edited by Gavin

22 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Oh boy. KFSN is about to get "pinned".

21 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

WABC, KABC, WLS and KGO had been using the "Circle 7" pins

Man, I wish these pins could be sold online. I would definitely rock one when I go out on the town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Man, I wish these pins could be sold online. I would definitely rock one when I go out on the town.

Dion Lim had to get permission from KGO management to give one to an ABC7 fan who had a medical condition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

Okay... That's sweet of her. Very charitable.

the best part is that she saw and recognized mother who sent in a request with the photo of her and her son at the bus stop while she was on her jog around the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Back in the day when I was a young news junkie, I used to write (yes, this was before email) to talent at stations in my local market (Los Angeles). They were all very gracious and would send autographed head shots and scripts from previous newscasts (I liked to see what exactly their scripts looked like). I wrote to Laura Diaz when she was at KABC if it would be possible to get a Circle 7 pin. She basically insinuated it would take an act of God LOL.

Also, in one of the recent KABC Eyewitness News anniversary videos on YouTube, I believe it was Ellen Leyva who said that the Circle 7 pins are under management's lock and key.

• Like 3

Over and out for GM Mark Strachota after 6 years at WDJT...Anne Brown from crosstown WITI will be his successor.. Will be interesting to see how she will shape the station...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2020/07/13/tv-vet-mark-strachota-retiring-weigel-stations-milwaukee-witi-tvs-anne-brown-named-gm/5428900002/