Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, tw-804 said:

Back to Atlanta, another change at WGCL: General Manager Lyle Banks is out. He'll be replaced by Deborah Collura from Charlotte's WCNC.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/more-change-cbs46-lyle-banks-out-deborah-collura/ppNR3M7cvEUGXIL3OVku5M/

There have been too many revolving doors at 'GCL. IMO, that station's a joke with all the anchor changes, news director changes, management changes it's chaos. The station deserves better than this. 

48 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

There have been too many revolving doors at 'GCL. IMO, that station's a joke with all the anchor changes, news director changes, management changes it's chaos. The station deserves better than this. 

Whenever I watch cbs46 (which isn't that often) I have to ask myself: "who are these people"? The turnover at the station is ridiculous. Meredith never gives the station management or talent time to implement a new strategy and let it grow. It's a constant cycle of rebrands and talent/management turnover. After years of Gannett/Tegna mismanaging WXIA, WGCL should be in a place to compete. But instead Meredith's impatience has led to no real significant gains in the ratings.

• Like 4

On 5/27/2020 at 12:19 PM, justin2kx said:

Skimming thru FCC filings + based on reasons bolded above, it appears the Univision affiliation + branding may move to WSTE, leaving WLII without an affiliate. It may signal a return to independent a la Teleonce (previous branding until 2002) Some of Uni/Unimas programming could go thru WAPA, while remain an indy. Similar to '90s + '00s when Telemundo PR had some Televisa novelas while WAPA had Uni-network programs (Primer Impacto, Cristina, Despierta Am.) + some Venevision programs. Cisneros groups had interest on ch. 4 back then. 

https://fcc.report/IBFS/SES-T-C-20200325-00323/2246378.pdf

From another source, translated:

https://www.tvboricuausa.com/2020/03/incierto-futuro-univision-puerto-rico-venta-canales-11-9-y-12.html

"From what is clear from the document, although not textually, Univisión PR would be passing at some point to the WSTE-DT signal (channel 7), while channels 11, 9 and 12 would be operated by another company (once) time the sale is consummated."

Q: What will happen with WAPA Deportes (sports subchannel) in terms of content? Will it rely more on TUDN + less on deals with NBA + MLB? (via ESPN/Turner/MLBN)

Could WAPA launch as a sub-channel on Univision-owned stations on the mainland in markets with a large Puerto Rican population?

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet or that there hasn't been a thread specifically about riots and the press. Lots of violence in Louisville last night. The most extreme was a police officer firing pepper balls at a WAVE crew on live television. WAVE issued a statement.

WAVE also had a car spray painted. Speaking of cars, WLKY had one of their scompletely destroyed.

WLKY also took damage from protestors/rioters themselves.

WHAS took direct damage to their building. Windows to their front entrance were shattered, some parts spray painted, and tear gas even got into the building. In-building personnel were evacuated their stations to take shelter. Crews quickly worked to secure the building. Longtime anchor Doug Proffitt had a brief commentary on the situation at the end of their special report around 1:30 a.m. EDT.

I am not aware of any damage of violence being inflicted toward WDRB or Spectrum Kentucky.

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

Whenever I watch cbs46 (which isn't that often) I have to ask myself: "who are these people"? The turnover at the station is ridiculous. Meredith never gives the station management or talent time to implement a new strategy and let it grow. It's a constant cycle of rebrands and talent/management turnover. After years of Gannett/Tegna mismanaging WXIA, WGCL should be in a place to compete. But instead Meredith's impatience has led to no real significant gains in the ratings.

They had a great opportunity (and seized it) due to Tegna's GRAVE missteps with 11Alive (far beyond their atrocity of a logo, but with talent and format changes), but once again, squandered it to become the perpetual joke of Atlanta TV.  Would some group or person PLEASE buy this station out of its misery?!?!?!?

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

They had a great opportunity (and seized it) due to Tegna's GRAVE missteps with 11Alive (far beyond their atrocity of a logo, but with talent and format changes), but once again, squandered it to become the perpetual joke of Atlanta TV.  Would some group or person PLEASE buy this station out of its misery?!?!?!?

And get the Braves back on Peachtree while we're at it? 👍

https://www.facebook.com/1941151582692956/posts/3275958862545548/?d=n

Please keep WSOC anchor Allison Latos and her  husband and family in your thoughts and prayers. On May 13 she lost her baby girl Hannah due to an inoperable brain condition. 

On 5/31/2020 at 1:26 AM, Yankees4life said:

And get the Braves back on Peachtree while we're at it? 👍

On 5/31/2020 at 11:45 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Bonus points if they end up back on the station formerly known as WTBS.....

Either TBS or at least bring back the short lived syndicated Braves Southeast Network. The games were on WAXN in Charlotte.  

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

https://www.facebook.com/1941151582692956/posts/3275958862545548/?d=n

Please keep WSOC anchor Allison Latos and her  husband and family in your thoughts and prayers. On May 13 she lost her baby girl Hannah due to an inoperable brain condition.

Erica Bryant just made the announcement during the 6pm newscast after the weather forecast.

Edited by 24994J
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, TriadMetrolinaNewswatch said:

The man himself (Romines) came from WTEN in Albany, so it could be interesting.

On an unrelated note, it’s stunning that a station in Tennessee doesn’t have those call letters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TriadMetrolinaNewswatch said:

The man himself (Romines) came from WTEN in Albany, so it could be interesting.

Romines came in during the reign of terror of René LaSpina when they tried to become a smaller version of WHDH with Scott Chapin and the dreadful opens of the period. When he got actual power, he took WTEN from a competitive #3 to being #1 in the market by investing in talent and newsgathering which Media General and Nexstar saw as worthy.

He's a good add and I think he'll right the ship. Remember, late 2000s WTEN was a debacle a few rungs ahead of "Hey Hey Carolinas".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WTVD is refusing to air an ad from an anti-Trump PAC.

I wish that political ads didn't exist. But seriously, WTVD shouldn't be forced to air anything they don't want to. I'm a Trump supporter, and if I owned WTVD, I wouldn't air any political ads from either side. They cause too much drama and conflict. Inform yourself. Don't let politicians do it for you.

Edited by 24994J
Improper formatting made it like this user's opinion was coming from the user they quoted.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, hankthetank23 said:

I wish that political ads didn't exist. But seriously, WTVD shouldn't be forced to air anything they don't want to. I'm a Trump supporter, and if I owned WTVD, I wouldn't air any political ads from either side. They cause too much drama and conflict. Inform yourself. Don't let politicians do it for you.

You would also be out of business.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hankthetank23 said:

WTVD should allow the inflammatory president to be outted as such especially when using his very own words.

Not sure why you felt the need to identify yourself as a Trump supporter at all to provide an opinion on this either... oh wait, yes I do.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WTVD is refusing to air an ad from an anti-Trump PAC.

They have every right to do this especially if the ad is inflammatory and spreads information.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

Some movements in Atlanta:

WSB-TV meteorologist Katie Walls is heading to Charlotte to work for Spectrum News, and her husband, reporter Ryan Kruger of WXIA is leaving as well to explore options in the Queen City.

Edit: Katie Walls' last day at WSB-TV is on June 21st.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/exclusive-meteorologist-katie-walls-leaving-wsb-for-spectrum-news-north-carolina/YOTQu3Sc0RSF6MFoeXlHcM/

Edited by AaronQ

3 hours ago, AaronQ said:

Some movements in Atlanta:

WSB-TV meteorologist Katie Walls is heading to Charlotte to work for Spectrum News, and her husband, reporter Ryan Kruger of WXIA is leaving as well to explore options in the Queen City.

Edit: Katie Walls' last day at WSB-TV is on June 21st.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/exclusive-meteorologist-katie-walls-leaving-wsb-for-spectrum-news-north-carolina/YOTQu3Sc0RSF6MFoeXlHcM/

Kinda weird to be leaving a powerhouse like WSB for spectrum news.