Out & About

TexasTVNews

4 hours ago, newsbot said:

I wonder what the degree of disclosure was for the local stations. Some hefty fines could be forthcoming.

From what I read only WTVG made the disclaimer that Walker was an Amazon employee.

I think the stations who are in the biggest trouble is the ones that ran the pkg more than once (WLEX, WTVM, KMIR, WOAY)

Ironically enough a Sinclair station is involved in that (WGXA/Macon)

Meanwhile Sabrina Bates is leaving KFSM for KOCO as the new meteorologist (h/t @ColtFromGulfcoast

https://twitter.com/5NEWSSabrina/status/1265412477933756420?s=20

Edited by oknewsguy

7 hours ago, newsbot said:

Shades of Sinclair? 11 local TV stations aired Amazon-scripted propaganda as news

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ayvwb/local-news-stations-run-propaganda-segments-scripted-and-produced-by-amazon

I love it. Our standards of journalism in this country has dropped so far into the shitter that local news are spreading Amazon's propaganda :D 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, newsbot said:

Shades of Sinclair? 11 local TV stations aired Amazon-scripted propaganda as news

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4ayvwb/local-news-stations-run-propaganda-segments-scripted-and-produced-by-amazon

Why am I not surprised?

I'm pretty sure FedEx has been guilty of using VNR tactics too.

• Haha 1

I knew about the Amazon situation because the copy had been circulating on Twitter last weekend. Funny, though, my station never received the news release or the video. It looks like the stations that ran the story verbatim are mostly in the smallest of markets.

A full VNR package is rare today, especially from the corporate communications world (retailers, banks, tech companies, etc.). When I was a young producer, ABC would send health VNR packages from some company in Florida (Ivanhoe?), from the J.A.M.A., and from the Cleveland Clinic. We still fight those battles with hospitals who want us to use their own video, as opposed to shooting our own video.

Edited by TheRob

NBC 10 Boston (WBTS) main anchor Phil Lipof is signing off. Lipof has been in beantown since 2013. He helped launched the newscast at the NBC O&O station, where he's anchored since. It's unclear what's next for Lipof.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/27/business/anchor-phil-lipof-departs-nbc-10-boston/

39 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

NBC 10 Boston (WBTS) main anchor Phil Lipof is signing off. Lipof has been in beantown since 2013. He helped launched the newscast at the NBC O&O station, where he's anchored since. It's unclear what's next for Lipof.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/27/business/anchor-phil-lipof-departs-nbc-10-boston/

Lipof is strongly hinting at a return to New York. Side note: regarding his stint at WBTS, he said "I did everything I could." Hmm...

Edited by newsbot

Just now, TexasTVNews said:

Both Davis, ex-news anchor Gerry Grant, and ex-meteorologist Bill Kamal are a disgrace in their careers. It's the price they pay for their crimes.

I was expecting a much tougher sentence for Davis....but many of his counts had concurrent sentences. 

His probation goes much longer and if he violates it, it could mean more prison time.

Let's just say that it's been a terrible few years for WBNS.  The death of Chris Bradley, this, and one of America's few family owned stations succumbing to corporate ownership. 

That being said, if the Wolfe Family was aware of ANY doings while Davis was on the clock, there's blood on their hands too.

In advance of News Center Maine's launch of their 4PM newscast on Monday, WGME has changed how it starts its 5PM newscast. Instead of a tease before the last segment of Judge Judy, the tease has become the intro for the newscast itself. (Edit: It was a one-day fluke)

Edited by newsbot