Out & About

TexasTVNews

36 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Her departure is interesting yet it's odd timing, with this virus I wonder if she had waited until we got to the other side of COVID before departing?

It could be a matter of Apollo wanting their own person in the top spot, or Guthrie not wanting to preside over what are likely to be draconian cuts once the full extent of the recession/depression hits the media sector, or some combination of the two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newsbot said:

It could be a matter of Apollo wanting their own person in the top spot, or Guthrie not wanting to preside over what are likely to be draconian cuts once the full extent of the recession/depression hits the media sector, or some combination of the two.

Honestly I say it's a combination of two given the situation were in right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

Hubbard apparently made some pretty nasty cuts on the radio side today - anything being heard about the TV end?

Don't be surprised that this is the beginning of what's to come for a lot of the smaller companies given the situation were in right now.

But to answer your question no but that is not to say it will eventually occur on the TV side as well

Honestly I think Hubbard's future in a post-COVID world looks pretty bleak

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Hubbard apparently made some pretty nasty cuts on the radio side today - anything being heard about the TV end?

Radio doesn't have retrans to cushion the blow of lost ad revenue, so they're bearing the brunt of the broadcast media cuts.

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Don't be surprised that this is the beginning of what's to come for a lot of the smaller companies given the situation were in right now.

But to answer your question no but that is not to say it will eventually occur on the TV side as well

Honestly I think Hubbard's future in a post-COVID world looks pretty bleak

I'm also wondering about Sinclair with their heavy exposure to sports - sure, they're getting fat checks from the MVPDs but they're starting to get pushback with no sports on all those RSNs.

Edited by newsbot

I can’t help but wonder if Scripps and Gray and TEGNA and Nexstar are thankful to have their national assets around right now...

Does Hubbard make a lot of money from Reelz and Ovation?

Edited by channel2

5 minutes ago, newsbot said:

Radio doesn't have retrans to cushion the blow of lost ad revenue, so they're bearing the brunt of the broadcast media cuts.

I'm also wondering about Sinclair with their heavy exposure to sports - sure, they're getting fat checks from the MVPDs but they're starting to get pushback with no sports on all those pricy RSNs.

As @TheRyan mentioned before everybody now is in this situation where they're not a very healthy company so Sinclair isn't the only one unhealthy here (as is everybody else in every industry)

But it's these smaller companies like Hubbard are going to take the biggest hits out of the bunch

57 minutes ago, newsbot said:

I'm also wondering about Sinclair with their heavy exposure to sports - sure, they're getting fat checks from the MVPDs but they're starting to get pushback with no sports on all those RSNs.

Plus there deal a blow because of the suit the FCC has made them pay. $43 million fine for failed Sinclair-Tribune deal. Sinclair might sell some stations cause of this and the post COVID World which seems broadcasting very sleak. Advertising-wise.

14 hours ago, Gavin said:

Plus there deal a blow because of the suit the FCC has made them pay. $43 million fine for failed Sinclair-Tribune deal. Sinclair might sell some stations cause of this and the post COVID World which seems broadcasting very sleak. Advertising-wise.

The fine is a rounding error on their balance sheet compared to the $10B they blew on RSNs with no programming.

Edited by newsbot

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I'll save it for speculation as I don't want to go too far into speculating in things but we'll know a lot more about the impact of the RSNs by the end of the year and clearly states like Oregon want to bankrupt the RSNs by not allowing sporting events to take place with fans in the stands

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I'll save it for speculation as I don't want to go too far into speculating in things but we'll know a lot more about the impact of the RSNs by the end of the year and clearly states like Oregon want to bankrupt the RSNs by not allowing sporting events to take place with fans in the stands

Ah so that’s what it’s all about... bankrupting the RSN’s... 

If the only place to catch a game is on TV then that’s the RSN’s dream come true. They’ll make more in ad revenue due to higher viewership. 

Edited by ns8401

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Ah so that’s what it’s all about... bankrupting the RSN’s... 

If the only place to catch a game is on TV then that’s the RSN’s dream come true. They’ll make more in ad revenue due to higher viewership. 

Let's think about this:

Since the sale of the RSNs by Disney to Sinclair (and even during the approval process of the sale) they've lost contracts with Dish, and several streamming providers (partially with YouTube TV) to carry the RSNs. That coupled with the lack of sports is really exposing and truly showing how much "value" the RSNs are actually worth (and its not much)

Sinclair better hope the contact sports can get back to action by June/July

Edited by oknewsguy

5 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Let's think about this:

Since the sale of the RSNs by Disney to Sinclair (and even during the approval process of the sale) they've lost contracts with Dish, and several streamming providers (partially with YouTube TV) to carry the RSNs. That coupled with the lack of sports is really exposing and truly showing how much "value" the RSNs are actually worth (and its not much)

The whole TV-Sports thing has been bubbling over for some time now.

People are dropping their subscriptions because it's so expensive, and because millions of people don't have jobs anymore.

Do we even need regional sports networks anymore?  Sinclair may have shot themselves in the foot since they own the former FOX RSN's, which will eventually have to drop the FOX branding, or pony up licensing fees....

It's the absolute perfect time to rebrand a network with a name that few would gravitate to, and that companies have dumped or restricted their carriage as well...
Either way, it's going to cost a lot of $$$$$$$ that people are tired of paying for.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Let's think about this:

Well... they kinda depend on the games for their lifeblood... but that’s kind of a given. 

• Like 1

KVUE chief meteorologist Albert Ramon announced on social media that he will be leaving the station next week after 10 years there. His message said that the new opportunity was too good to pass up and he would still be covering Texas weather “extensively,” but coanchor Terri Gruca mentioned that he was headed to Chicago. The combination of those two pieces of information makes me suspect that he may be headed to News Nation.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Any idea on tho would fill Terri's spot as anchor and who will take the helm as chief meteorologist at KVUE 24?

Only Albert is leaving.

13 hours ago, djlynch said:

KVUE chief meteorologist Albert Ramon announced on social media that he will be leaving the station next week after 10 years there. His message said that the new opportunity was too good to pass up and he would still be covering Texas weather “extensively,” but coanchor Terri Gruca mentioned that he was headed to Chicago. The combination of those two pieces of information makes me suspect that he may be headed to News Nation.

Already mentioned where he's going... *cough* NewsNation *cough*

Be on the lookout for WRTV in Indianapolis.  I believe they may be getting ready to rebrand.  A vague ad was airing saying "The future is coming to WRTV soon" with just "WRTV" letters floating in the background, and they changed the title of their Facebook page to just "WRTV" this week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devon said:

Be on the lookout for WRTV in Indianapolis.  I believe they may be getting ready to rebrand.  A vague ad was airing saying "The future is coming to WRTV soon" with just "WRTV" letters floating in the background, and they changed the title of their Facebook page to just "WRTV" this week.

Yeah I did notice that last part. Hopefully they don't get rid of the RTV6 branding. I like it.