Out & About

TexasTVNews

An update to this: it's all official. Nichols chose to left after management tried to demote him to the weekend "suicide shift" of mornings and evenings and Teachman simply didn't have her contract renewed. They've hired a pair of "young meteorologists" that will both start later this year. What doesn't make sense though is the sudden speculation that he'll jump ship to KSHB, (where his former KMBC news director Brian Bracco is GM), especially since KSHB now has five meteorologists. They have no need for six.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/popular-kmbc-weather-guy-joel-nichols-departs/

All to save money (younger people are almost always cheaper than the experienced people; stations pay more for the experience and the older people won't work for the amount the younger people do). They'll also be happy once Brian Busby is off their payroll whenever he retires because they can hire somebody younger for much cheaper.

I just read that the first meteorologist won't start until April. Why? Is this person in another market or are they still in college or what? If you already hired them why aren't they are able to start until later this year? Very perplexing...

All to save money (younger people are almost always cheaper than the experienced people; stations pay more for the experience and the older people won't work for the amount the younger people do). They'll also be happy once Brian Busby is off their payroll whenever he retires because they can hire somebody younger for much cheaper.

I just read that the first meteorologist won't start until April. Why? Is this person in another market or are they still in college or what? If you already hired them why aren't they are able to start until later this year? Very perplexing...

Yeah, it's really sad to see stations ridding themselves of all of these old people for young people who are cheaper and less experienced, but I feel like that in a couple decades it will be ironic if it's still happening, because the replacements will be order replacements for the generation of replacements that they were once in. (On a side note, KSHB has gone really young recently, but it seems to be working)

either A) they're at some other TV station somewhere and have a contract they have to live out before they can leave or B] they're still in college. Kansas City has been hiring directly out of local universities recently. What I want to know is that if the first one won't start until April, when the hell will the second one start? These hires were obviously made a long time ago.

Also "24 Salt Lake" is dumb. She basically had her comment in that blog post they link to yet they bother her anyway for another comment. I'm guessing she never wrote/called them back. Good on her.

sanewsguy, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious, though– you wouldn't have wanted to ask her any additional questions?

Alrighty y'all. First full business day of 2014 and we have a slew of paperwork.

First, we have two consummations. Both happened on New Year's Eve.

NBC has completed its acquisition of Rio Grande Valley's Telemundo affiliate KTLM.

Also, Gray has completed the sale of the Frontier's Yellowstone stations.

Also, it appears that Power Television International wants to give up 51% control of Corporate Media Consultants Group to Max Media, which already had the remaining 49% (I think this TOC would lead up to a future sale of Puerto Rican station WMEI (and its satellites)).

And finally the paperwork of KMOV, KTVK & KASW is up. $230.56M for KTVK/KASW, and $176.94M for KMOV, both totalling $407.4M. SagamoreHill will pay $12M to assign KASW.

So my predictions in that other thread were wrong. Glad they closed in today.

EDIT#1: Interesting they are assigning KTVK to "KPHO Broadcasting Corporation" and not Meredith itself like KMOV was.

EDIT#2:

sanewsguy, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious, though– you wouldn't have wanted to ask her any additional questions?

Obviously I struck a raw nerve with this comment:

Also "24 Salt Lake" is dumb. She basically had her comment in that blog post they link to yet they bother her anyway for another comment. I'm guessing she never wrote/called them back. Good on her.

I will be more mindful of who sees this forum in the future with my wording. I apologize for calling your site "dumb". This is the first time in seven months of posting here this has happened. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

However my general opinion of the situation remains the same. I would not have asked any additional questions. I think she covered it all in her blog. If she had anything extra to say, great. But honestly I would have left her alone. Sure she's been going through a lot lately with all the media coverage which I assume she's not used to.

That's my two cents.

Thankfully it wasn't serious. I watch this reporter frequently with her identical twin sister who work at the same station. Both are great personalities and I could see them at the network level one day. If you read the blog post you could definitely see her bubbly side coming out. Good now she knows it's not serious she is laughing it off.

It's a low-rated weekend morning show. Maybe the producer knew the Graham sisters have this problem and so he/she told the director not to switch back. If I was producing the show, I wouldn't have necessarily cut back until I could tell for sure it was going to be serious. I may have done a double box with the anchor on the other side questioning the incident.

Now I'm guessing you usually don't read this thread because I've speculated on this (and Rhiannon's future; it's pretty obvious they want her as main anchor) on at least two occasions here.

GREAT news! While I wish him the best in recovering, it's time for some fresh blood there to run the station, and someone with enough audacity to fire Pero/Baier. They better not promote Pero to GM. IIRC, Grief used to be the ND before becoming GM.

I read the threads but don't normally flip thru 53 pages of posts. I see Rhiannon doing the noon & 6 pm shows so it will at least mean she gets home at a decent time of the night and to at least have somewhat of the same schedule as her husbands. Currently he probably doesn't get home until after midnight and she's probably waking up for work around 2 in the morning. So if she were to do the noon & 6 her schedule would probably be 10 - 6:30, while her husbands is something like 2 - 11:30. This way with a new baby soon to be arriving for them one of them would at least be with the baby during the evening hours, while the other is at work. For the time frame that both are at work I can see them getting a sitter. If Rhiannon was do the noon & 6 her schedule would be something like this:

10a - 12:30p work

12:30p - 4:00p break

4:00p - 6:30p work

so between let's say 1 & 3:30 she can be at home feeding her son relaxing researching other stories etc.

12:30 & 3:30 commute to/from home & work

6:30 commute home

home by 7

If she were take the 5 & 11 PM shows then she would have an almost identical schedule to her husband

3:00p - 6:00p work

6:00p - 9:00p break

9:00p - 11:30p work

between 6:30p & 8:30p at home taking care of her son, relaxing etc.

8:30p commute to work

9:00p - 11:30p work

midnight back home.

Jose, It was stated in the recent Holiday promos that Rhiannon was living in Miami Beach. At best, traffic in between Miami Beach to the WFOR studios in Doral is 30 minutes and that is stating best possibilities. I know that rush hour starts at 3:30 so that first scenario she would have to leave at 3 to make it work and that 6:30 commute home would take an hour or more due to how congested it gets in Doral all the way on the Dolphin over. WSVN is literally a pebble throw away to Miami Beach on N. Bay Village.

EDIT: A couple of Charlotte stories

Dion Lim from WCNC is headed to sister station WTSP per her Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dion-Lim/146674682074805

WBTV is starting a 7-9am news AND an 8pm news on their subchannel

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/charlotte-station-to-expand-news-on-digital-subchannel_b112279

WBTV is starting a 7-9am news AND an 8pm news on their subchannel

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/charlotte-station-to-expand-news-on-digital-subchannel_b112279

I had a feeling that they were going to do that, after the end of the news-share with WJZY-WMYT. But never thought on an earlier hour like 8pm. I assume they don't want to mess with a messy pre-emption, as Bounce shows movies in that 9-10pm time range. Although I did wish they had a 10pm, even though it's a crowded field with 18, 46 & 64, and it looks like 46 will have a tough time getting their format together, and getting viewers flocking.

Looks like WISH-TV is making WNDY's 10pm news a full hour, with a 15-minute sports show at the end of that hour. Starting Monday.

Jose, It was stated in the recent Holiday promos that Rhiannon was living in Miami Beach. At best, traffic in between Miami Beach to the WFOR studios in Doral is 30 minutes and that is stating best possibilities. I know that rush hour starts at 3:30 so that first scenario she would have to leave at 3 to make it work and that 6:30 commute home would take an hour or more due to how congested it gets in Doral all the way on the Dolphin over. WSVN is literally a pebble throw away to Miami Beach on N. Bay Village.

You know I never thought about the evening traffic part, I however was just using examples not considering the actual commute times etc. But if she did take the noon & 6 shift, at least she would be home at a reasonable hour.

You know I never thought about the evening traffic part, I however was just using examples not considering the actual commute times etc. But if she did take the noon & 6 shift, at least she would be home at a reasonable hour.

I think they've learned by now there are some sacrifices to be made for the sake of upward mobility. Rhiannon anchored in nearby Topeka years ago. Mike was a reporter there under his real last name, but he was also reporting in Kansas City simultaneously. Then Rhiannon started doing traffic in Kansas City. They were both working two jobs 60 miles apart. Then both moved to New York where one worked overnights and the other worked in syndication, and then on to Miami on a different timetable. They are a goal-oriented couple, and they have a terrific agent.

I think they've learned by now there are some sacrifices to be made for the sake of upward mobility. Rhiannon anchored in nearby Topeka years ago. Mike was a reporter there under his real last name, but he was also reporting in Kansas City simultaneously. Then Rhiannon started doing traffic in Kansas City. They were both working two jobs 60 miles apart. Then both moved to New York where one worked overnights and the other worked in syndication, and then on to Miami on a different timetable. They are a goal-oriented couple, and they have a terrific agent.

I remember Rhiannon doing that better show and Mike was I believe reporting for World News Now? Or something like that I can't recall. Wherever WFOR decides to put Rhiannon she'll be great no matter what.

Did someone already mention this? I didn't see it anywhere. WPEC's news director Cathy Younkin has been fired. Doesn't sound as if she did anything good for the station at all.

http://gossipextra.com/2014/01/03/cbs12-cans-news-director-kathy-younkin-3280/

You know its pretty bad if WPBF is beating them.

Lots of coming and goings courtesy of TVspy:

• Former KDAF anchor Amanda Salinas will be joining KTBC FOX 7 as anchor of Good Day Austin and FOX 7 news at Noon. Salinas debut at FOX 7 is in two weeks (1/20).
  • Former WCNC NBC Charlotte anchor Dion Lim is heading to Tampa Bay's 10 News (WTSP) as 5:00 & 5:30pm anchor and 11:00pm reporter. Lim first day is in three weeks (1/27).
  • Meteorologist Katy Morgan, formerly at WXIX is now heading to Music City (Nashville) to be Chief Meteorologist at WZTV FOX 17.
  • Longtime WTOL 11 News anchor Chrys Peterson will be leaving the station to spend more time with her family. Peterson's final newscast will be on February 28th.
  • WOOD-TV 8 anchor Susan Shaw will leave the 11pm newscast to spend more time with family; Shaw will continue to anchor 24 News 8 from 5:00-6:30pm and she'll be anchoring the midday news at noon, Marlee Ginter will take the helm as anchor of 24 Hour News 8 at 10pm (WXSP) and 11pm (WOOD).
  • And WISH-TV 8 will be expanding its sister station's 10pm news tonight, 24 Hour News 8 at 10PM will run from 10:00 to 11:00pm on WNDY (MyIndyTV).

Lots of coming and goings courtesy of TVspy:

• Former KDAF anchor Amanda Salinas will be joining KTBC FOX 7 as anchor of Good Day Austin and FOX 7 news at Noon. Salinas debut at FOX 7 is in two weeks (1/20).
  • Former WCNC NBC Charlotte anchor Dion Lim is heading to Tampa Bay's 10 News (WTSP) as 5:00 & 5:30pm anchor and 11:00pm reporter. Lim first day is in three weeks (1/27).
  • Meteorologist Katy Morgan, formerly at WXIX is now heading to Music City (Nashville) to be Chief Meteorologist at WZTV FOX 17.
  • Longtime WTOL 11 News anchor Chrys Peterson will be leaving the station to spend more time with her family. Peterson's final newscast will be on February 28th.
  • WOOD-TV 8 anchor Susan Shaw will leave the 11pm newscast to spend more time with family; Shaw will continue to anchor 24 News 8 from 5:00-6:30pm and she'll be anchoring the midday news at noon, Marlee Ginter will take the helm as anchor of 24 Hour News 8 at 10pm (WXSP) and 11pm (WOOD).
  • And WISH-TV 8 will be expanding its sister station's 10pm news tonight, 24 Hour News 8 at 10PM will run from 10:00 to 11:00pm on WNDY (MyIndyTV).

TVspy doesn't have this story yet but Erika Tarantal joining WCVB in Boston from WNBC in New York. Last newcast at WNBC was last night, no word on what shows she will be anchoring at WCVB or if she will just be doing reporting.

Remember when KUTV reporter Brooke Graham fainted on TV two weeks ago? Well I was watching Entertainment Tonight with Nancy O'Dell earlier and she interviewed Graham exclusively. Nice to see shes' handling it positively and in good spirits. Check it out:

http://bcove.me/2ixhvl7q (fast forward to 16:08 to see the interview)

Edited at 3:20AM CT:

I forgot to mention this and I see it hasn't been mentioned here earlier. This from TVSpy:

KGW Selling Helicopter, Will Share with FOX Affiliate

By Kevin Eck on January 6, 2014 5:36 PM

kgw_chopper.jpg

Portland NBC affiliate KGW is selling its news helicopter.

News director Richard Jacobs confirmed with TVSpy, the station chopper is listed for sale on a site a tipster sent us. Check it out by clicking here.

He said the station had entered into a shared helicopter agreement with FOX affiliate KPTV, but went quiet when we asked for more details about the agreement and wouldn’t say what was going to happen to KGW’s helicopter pilot.

A spokesperson for the company selling the helicopter told TVSpy the chopper was first listed in the Fall and is going for $1,250,000.

TVSpy has asked KGW’s parent company Gannett and KPTV for more info. We will update when we hear back.

I'm betting this was handed down by Gannett corporate. It'd suck to see this happen to KENS' Chopper 5 here (even though they lease it, not own). It's nice seeing the big 3 here having unique helicopter shots.

Remember when KUTV reporter Brooke Graham fainted on TV two weeks ago? Well I was watching Entertainment Tonight with Nancy O'Dell earlier and she interviewed Graham exclusively. Nice to see shes' handling it positively and in good spirits. Check it out:

http://bcove.me/2ixhvl7q (fast forward to 16:08 to see the interview)

Edited at 3:20AM CT:

I forgot to mention this and I see it hasn't been mentioned here earlier. This from TVSpy:

I'm betting this was handed down by Gannett corporate. It'd suck to see this happen to KENS' Chopper 5 here (even though they lease it, not own). It's nice seeing the big 3 here having unique helicopter shots.

It says that the chopper was first listed for sale in the fall, don't know how much of an influence Gannett had in that...

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic