Out & About

TexasTVNews

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

When I saw the listings, it was on those four plus WATL, WUPA and GPB Radio.

Yeah. It aired live at 8pm on every commercial and public station in the whole state of Georgia, according to WSB. 

I wonder if other states would be willing to copy this format. Apparently according to FTV, Oklahoma had a televised statewide prayer session, but I'm not sure if that counts. I could see New York doing this, considering they have about half the cases in the US. Then again, I don't think the networks are keen on preempting an hour of primetime in the largest market with no ads, but maybe I'm just being cynical.

On 3/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, Samantha said:

There's a surprise in the Univision sale filing: because some of the owners have attributable interests in WAPA, they are divesting third-rated WLII and not ninth-rated WSTE.

I wonder if the sale includes the Uni affiliation, or will they just move it to WSTE.

With some heavy heart to announce that CBS News journalist Maria Mercader passed away Sunday due to COVID-19. Our thoughts are with her family and her colleagues at CBS News during this difficult time. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remembering-maria-mercader-cbs-news-journalist-for-three-decades/

Edited by AaronQ

Circle City Broadcasting has struck an agreement with the Family Broadcasting Corporation (the former LeSEA Broadcasting) to simulcast WISH-TV’s newscasts on religious-secular independent WHME/South Bend starting April 6. Family Broadcasting’s flagship station will carry around 60 hours per week of WISH’s newscasts, though exactly which ones will be carried and which ones will be exempted have not been immediately specified.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

4 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Circle City Broadcasting has struck an agreement with the Family Broadcasting Corporation (the former LeSEA Broadcasting) to simulcast WISH-TV’s newscasts on religious-secular independent WHME/South Bend starting April 6. Family Broadcasting’s flagship station will carry around 60 hours per week of WISH’s newscasts, though exactly which ones will be carried and which ones will be exempted have not been immediately specified.

Thanks for letting me know, T.L. but I'll be waiting for which ones hit the airvwaves before I report anything on it. Its critical to get it right.

32 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Expanding news in KC. WDAF is adding a half hour at 5 p.m. Saturdays because of no sports, and KSHB is adding a 3 p.m. newscast. They recently made their 10 p.m. an hour too.

WDAF already had a Saturday 5:00 p.m. newscast; the more frequent sports preemptions on Saturdays caused by Fox in the past few years effectively placed it on an inconsistent hiatus (I believed it still aired on the few recent occasions when Fox didn’t have a sports event running in early access; previously, it would be delayed to 6:00 if there was no sports scheduled during that hour).

Also, TV listings I looked at for WDAF (including its Zap2It-powered listings on the station’s website) show it as running for one hour, the length its 5:00 p.m. news had been airing on all seven days of the week since the 1994 NBC-to-Fox switch.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

We tacked on a half-hour to the already hour-long 5:00 Saturday news, so it's 90 minutes now.

I think you'll see a lot of stretching of the news with syndication drying up and sports on hiatus and companies looking for every possible point to insert political ads.

We went through furloughs in 2009, and I wouldn't be surprised if the TV companies issued furloughs later this year too.

---------------------------------------

Ginger Zee seems to indicate she has mild symptoms consistent with COVID-19, but can't get a test.

https://twitter.com/Ginger_Zee/status/1244945406599053317

---------------------------------------

Edited by TheRob
separating topics

22 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I give it maybe 6 months to a year and the contract will be terminated because WISH-TV aired content that Family Broadcasting considers objectionable and against their moral fiber. 😂

1 hour ago, TheRob said:

Add Chris Cuomo to the list.

But does he really? Call me skeptical but anytime a big wig at a cable news network is “part of the story,” that is usually the network trying to milk it for ratings. That would be an absolutely sick thing to do, but let’s be real, do we put it past CNN and Jeff Zucker? “I have COVID-19, but I feel fine and I’m going to continue working from home.” 🤨

On 3/30/2020 at 2:44 AM, TheWatcherAtl said:

I have a strong feeling one of the Wgcl employees that tested positive for Covid 19 is Rick Folbaum, he hasn't been on TV in quite some time. 

But are we sure it’s because of COVID-19 or is it because of new management? Let’s be real, WGCL has trouble keeping that male anchor chair filled.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:49 PM, MorningNews said:

FBN has terminated Trish Regan after her comments that the coronavirus was an attempt to impeach the president. What a full from grace for her.

And another one to add to the irrelevant former Trump ass-kisser—-uh I mean FOX Newsers list including Megan Kelly, Bill O’Reilly, Kimberly Guilfoyle, Eric Bolling. Drain the swamp.

4 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

But does he really? Call me skeptical but anytime a big wig at a cable news network is “part of the story,” that is usually the network trying to milk it for ratings. That would be an absolutely sick thing to do, but let’s be real, do we put it past CNN and Jeff Zucker? “I have COVID-19, but I feel fine and I’m going to continue working from home.” 🤨

I don't see that from him (call me gullible til further notice) but lest we mention his interviews with his fellow governor brother Andrew garner much attention, let alone his 'bromance' transitions with Don Lemon at the top of the hour before Don's show, but one should digress, no? Hell you can make that similar bolded statement for every other (not ALL) 'celebrity' or notables coming out + claiming they've been tested positive. How they got tested sooner than others? Oh wait...but i'll digress this time.

Edited by justin2kx

33 minutes ago, plzstandby said:

Not sure if it was mentioned but I noticed KSHB has started a 3pm newscast. Anchored by Kevin Holmes and Cynthia Newsome. I’m guessing it’s either corona related or just a lack of syndicated programming🤷🏻‍♂️

That's the part I'm trying to figure out because so many stations have been adding newscasts left and right lately and the majority being temporary that I won't know if its permanent until the pandemic is over.

4 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

But does he really? [...] let’s be real, do we put it past CNN and Jeff Zucker? “I have COVID-19, but I feel fine and I’m going to continue working from home.” 🤨

Do we know for sure that Cuomo does not have the virus? No, we don't. Just because he's a famous, well-known cable news host, and that they have easier access to testing (they actually don't), doesn't mean they can't catch the virus as easily as regular people can. The virus doesn't care what you are.

But yeah sure, let's keep it real - if you were in their position and started showing symptoms - or saw someone else showing symptoms - in the workplace, (to take care of yourself and your family) you'd wanna stay away and work from home too.

59 minutes ago, plzstandby said:

Not sure if it was mentioned but I noticed KSHB has started a 3pm newscast. Anchored by Kevin Holmes and Cynthia Newsome. I’m guessing it’s either corona related or just a lack of syndicated programming🤷🏻‍♂️

I just got word from KSHB themselves... its temporary. They'll go back to starting at 4 p.m. once the outbreak is over.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

That's the part I'm trying to figure out because so many stations have been adding newscasts left and right lately and the majority being temporary that I won't know if its permanent until the pandemic is over.

Or stations have been replacing local infotainment shows with newscasts. I know WOIO has dropped Cribbs in the CLE and Sunny Side Up for a traditional 9am newscast. The only brightside to this virus is that it has made WKYC's newscasts more watchable with them focusing on the news.

5 hours ago, KentBrockman said:
6 hours ago, TheRob said:

You are one sick person.  To think someone would fake this is absurd.  I have no clue where you live, but in Metro NY, it is hitting the area hard.  And the stories what it is like for the severe cases are heart breaking.  Our hospitals here are overrun.  There is not enough equipment, or PPE to protect health workers.  Testing sites are overrun since so many have symptoms.  Each O&O has been impacted with someone infected, and several anchors, weather, and sports anchors broadcasting from home.  And any sense of feeling you are immune because you don't live here, is false.  It is spreading and not all states are taking steps to contain it.  This was not a hoax.   Next time, show humanity even if you don't like the guy by just saying hope he gets well soon.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Or stations have been replacing local infotainment shows with newscasts. I know WOIO has dropped Cribbs in the CLE and Sunny Side Up for a traditional 9am newscast. The only brightside to this virus is that it has made WKYC's newscasts more watchable with them focusing on the news.

WCNC temporally shortened Charlotte Today to 30 minutes and started their noon newscast at 11:30 am.

14 minutes ago, NowBergen said:

Next time, show humanity even if you don't like the guy by just saying hope he gets well soon.

Not to stick my head in, but I think it's an important note that was made by the original user's post. First before you or anyone else attacks me for my opinion, my true profound thoughts are with the tri-state area, and our entire country and World as we suffer through this unthinkable disaster. We will overcome and we will become stronger from this as a nation. However, it is very important to note that this is a valid point. CNN and Jeff Zucker love to sensationalize the story. Think about "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." This is exactly what CNN, along with all of the other cable news channels, have been doing for the past few years. Credibility has been thrown out of the window, and now if this is true, some people will be skeptical about it.

Put it into perspective - many local news personalities (WABC, WCBS, etc) have been diagnosed and tragically died from this disease. Nobody would ever think they would make up a false case for their talent, because as we all know, local news is trustworthy and has credibility. The difference is cable vs. local, and the credibility issue is a very valid point. 

Stay safe and stay home! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheRob said:

We tacked on a half-hour to the already hour-long 5:00 Saturday news, so it's 90 minutes now.

I think you'll see a lot of stretching of the news with syndication drying up and sports on hiatus and companies looking for every possible point to insert political ads.

We went through furloughs in 2009, and I wouldn't be surprised if the TV companies issued furloughs later this year too.

I'd bet its only temporary for COVID-19 as it'll go back to just an hour afterwards.