Out & About

TexasTVNews

The San Francisco area stations are tag-teaming their choppers to have constant pooled aerials of the Coronavirus cruise ship docked in the harbor.

Unfortunately, the CBSN Bay Area TD wasn't paying close attention and this was up for about 15 seconds.

image.thumb.png.9f3aeeb7a00d7c844ffe279d5d24344a.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Weeters said:

The San Francisco area stations are tag-teaming their choppers to have constant pooled aerials of the Coronavirus cruise ship docked in the harbor.

Unfortunately, the CBSN Bay Area TD wasn't paying close attention and this was up for about 15 seconds.

image.thumb.png.9f3aeeb7a00d7c844ffe279d5d24344a.png

At least KRON mentions And uses the SKY7 Logo on their newscasts.

“Sky 7 from our media partner ABC7” 

I didn’t know KPIX uses KGO for their chopper feeds. I thought it was KTVU all this time. Makes me also wonder what KNTV uses for “Sky Ranger.”

50 minutes ago, SFTV said:

At least KRON mentions And uses the SKY7 Logo on their newscasts.

“Sky 7 from our media partner ABC7” 

I didn’t know KPIX uses KGO for their chopper feeds. I thought it was KTVU all this time. Makes me also wonder what KNTV uses for “Sky Ranger.”

My contacts say this was a special setup just for this story. All the stations pooled their choppers and shared each others feeds, so there were constant aerials of the cruise ship. One would go to refuel while another took its place. KGO offered to pool their chopper feed if they could use the other pool choppers (N62TV which is the one branded with KTVU livery, and N42SL, a generic news helicopter that seems to have replaced generic shared helicopter N75TV which looks to be in Sacramento right now.) It appears that KGO and KTVU are the only two that have full command of a chopper. The generic one might have some 50/50 shared command between KNTV and KPIX, which explains its lack of branding. I would assume Helicopters Inc knew that KTVU might not want to fly to everything KNTV and KPIX might want aerials of, and offered to let them share a generic chopper in addition to the KTVU share.

@rkolsen's helicopter project has uncovered some interesting sharing going on in the market. During the Garlic Festival incident is when the "generic" N75TV chopper was discovered, which all the stations were using, including KGO. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

My contacts say this was a special setup just for this story. All the stations pooled their choppers and shared each others feeds, so there were constant aerials of the cruise ship. One would go to refuel while another took its place. KGO offered to pool their chopper feed if they could use the other pool choppers (N62TV which is the one branded with KTVU livery, and N42SL, a generic news helicopter that seems to have replaced generic shared helicopter N75TV which looks to be in Sacramento right now.) It appears that KGO and KTVU are the only two that have full command of a chopper. The generic one might have some 50/50 shared command between KNTV and KPIX, which explains its lack of branding. I would assume Helicopters Inc knew that KTVU might not want to fly to everything KNTV and KPIX might want aerials of, and offered to let them share a generic chopper in addition to the KTVU share.

@rkolsen's helicopter project has uncovered some interesting sharing going on in the market. During the Garlic Festival incident is when the "generic" N75TV chopper was discovered, which all the stations were using, including KGO. 

The pooling happens A LOT in SF, for what it’s worth.

NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News shut down its New York City headquarters for cleaning and disinfecting on Wednesday after two of its employees tested positive for coronavirus.

Employees will be asked to work remotely for the next two days and broadcasts moved to accommodate the cleaning, the network said. For instance, "CBS This Morning" will originate out of Washington on Thursday and Friday while the New York offices are cleaned.

People who came in contact with the sick employees will be asked to self-quarantine for the next two weeks, CBS News President Susan Zirinsky said in a memo to staff.

CBS has two separate offices located across 57th Street on the West Side of Manhattan, one primarily housing the staff of "60 Minutes." Complicating the issue for the network is that the two infected workers were stationed in different buildings. The network released no details on how the staff members were infected.

Meanwhile, The Associated Press and NBC News on Wednesday announced work-at-home plans as concerns about the global pandemic grew.

NBC News and MSNBC are asking employees in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to work remotely or stagger working hours is they are able to do so starting on Monday.

“These efforts will help reduce over-crowding on public transportation and do our part to reduce potential coronavirus exposures,” NBC News president Noah Oppenheim and MSNBC president Phil Griffin wrote to employees.

They wrote that because many employees have to work on site because of production needs, “the vast majority of people who work for NBC News shows, MSNBC and NBC News NOW will continue to come to work in the building. Some show teams will experiment with staggered schedules. We will encourage working from home where possible and have already been preparing for that. We do have teams who can work remotely with limited operational impact, for example certain Digital teams and functional teams.”

Per- Deadline

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-cbs-news-staffers-test-positive-susan-zirinsky-new-york-1202880034/

Longtime Tampa Bay news anchor Arch Deal passed away on Friday according to a Facebook post from a close friend. He was 88.

Deal worked at all three Bay Area network affiliates (WTVT, WFLA and WLCY) between 1958 and 1977 and then worked as air traffic reporter for WRBQ radio.

In recent years he had taught college courses and wrote a book. 

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Sad 1

For the first time, KPIX was broadcasting their 6am broadcast from  the Newsroom/CBSN set. Not sure if they were using the main studio for CBS NY Weekend News or set maintenance. 

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

For the first time, KPIX was broadcasting their 6am broadcast from  the Newsroom/CBSN set. Not sure if they were using the main studio for CBS NY Weekend News or set maintenance. 

The main set was used for WCBS's 9am newscast by Elizabeth Cook.

• Thanks 1

Don’t know where else to put this now that the COVID19 thread has been moved to Speculatron, but WCNC has moved at least its sports reports out of the studio and will be working remotely. I wonder if all Tegna stations have done this? https://www.facebook.com/1463114260592588/posts/2591684131068923/?d=n

Edited by Nelson R.

6 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

Don’t know where else to put this now that the COVID19 thread has been moved to Speculatron, but WCNC has moved at least its sports reports out of the studio and will be working remotely. I wonder if all Tegna stations have done this? https://www.facebook.com/1463114260592588/posts/2591684131068923/?d=n

WTOL’s Robert Shiels is doing the same:

Facebook post

5 minutes ago, memnews said:

Camille Connor has joined WMC as a reporter.

Over at WREG, longtime weekend meteorologist Austen Onek departed the station earlier this year. 

Wendy Nations has since replaced Austin Onek on weekends, though I'm not sure if her role is temporary or permanent.

• Like 1

KGO separated their anchors for Social Distancing due to the Corona Virus by sitting in different areas of the studio. 

KPIX some what social distant themselves but are still holding down the desk together.

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

KGO separated their anchors for Social Distancing due to the Corona Virus by sitting in different areas of the studio. 

KPIX some what social distant themselves but are still holding down the desk together.

All stations are doing it in Tulsa.

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

Since yesterday WSOC-TV distance themselves in their studio. Not sure if the other Charlotte stations does that though.