Out & About

TexasTVNews

First of all, my thoughts and prayers to everyone in Nashville killed and impacted by the tornadoes. 

WTVF's Sky 5 chopper (N5TV) is based out of the John Tune Airport (JWN). That airport was severely impacted and took a direct hit by the tornadoes. NC5 was airing live footage from a chopper earlier today, courtesy of handheld video shot from the door of a Chopper. According to FlightAware, this was not N5TV their chopper. N90CL was shuttled from St. Louis to Nashville this afternoon and is now providing live footage for WTVF. Might be safe to say either Sky 5 is damaged, or inaccessible. 

I've been watching the coverage and WKRN had drone footage from "Drone 24", with their logo looking like WATN's.....even though they are no longer co-owned.

Looks like sister stations are starting to send in people from other markets too... WSMV had a reporter from St Louis (KMOV) and Alan Sealls has been sent up from Mobile to help WZTV with coverage.

WMC is losing some talent. Erin Morgan, who was only briefly at the station as weekend morning anchor, returned to WMBB (her immediately prior station) as weekday morning anchor. Jessica Holley has left to be a full-time mom to her newborn. And Allie Herrera is leaving to be a fitness instructor. (It's possible I'm leaving people out too, but I think that's everyone)

Meanwhile, Cassie Carlson has joined the station as weekend sports anchor, replacing Sudu Upadhyay, who left at the end of the year. He'll reappear soon in Atlanta as a producer/MMJ covering the Falcons on Fox 5, the official station of the team.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:34 PM, n925tv said:

First of all, my thoughts and prayers to everyone in Nashville killed and impacted by the tornadoes. 

WTVF's Sky 5 chopper (N5TV) is based out of the John Tune Airport (JWN). That airport was severely impacted and took a direct hit by the tornadoes. NC5 was airing live footage from a chopper earlier today, courtesy of handheld video shot from the door of a Chopper. According to FlightAware, this was not N5TV their chopper. N90CL was shuttled from St. Louis to Nashville this afternoon and is now providing live footage for WTVF. Might be safe to say either Sky 5 is damaged, or inaccessible. 

Sky 5 was severely damaged when the tornado (then at EF2 intensity) hit Tune Airport. When I first heard that the helicopter was parked there while watching a live stream of their 7:00 a.m. newscast Wednesday morning, thought it seemed odd, considering that many news helicopters are housed on their station’s studio grounds, not at general aviation airports like John C. Tune Airport. Considering the airport suffered $93 million in damage and WTVF’s studios escaped damage, putting the helicopter at the WTVF building would have prevented this.

image.jpeg.67d5502743fad494093123579dca9685.jpeg

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Sky 5 was severely damaged when the tornado (then at EF2 intensity) hit Tune Airport. When I first heard that the helicopter was parked there while watching a live stream of their 7:00 a.m. newscast Wednesday morning, thought it seemed odd, considering that many news helicopters are housed on their station’s studio grounds, not at general aviation airports like John C. Tune Airport. Considering the airport suffered $93 million in damage and WTVF’s studios escaped damage, putting the helicopter at the WTVF building would have prevented this.

That may not have been an option for WTVF to consider, especially with their studios being in close proximity to the Tennessee State Capitol and adjacent government buildings. Plus, the station itself is landlocked, and acquiring land to accommodate a helipad would've likely come at a premium for them as opposed to using John C Tune.

9 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

That may not have been an option for WTVF to consider, especially with their studios being in close proximity to the Tennessee State Capitol and adjacent government buildings. Plus, the station itself is landlocked, and acquiring land to accommodate a helipad would've likely come at a premium for them as opposed to using John C Tune.

The station is right downtown. There is no room for a helipad. Tune airport was the best option.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TennTV1983 said:

41 minutes ago, alaskanews said:

The station is right downtown. There is no room for a helipad. Tune airport was the best option.

In that case, the tornado came at a bad time. Had it touched down during the daytime and had there been more lead time ahead of the tornado to do such a thing, WTVF management could have sent somebody to the airport to move Sky 5 out of its hangar to avoid damage. Since the twister touched down just west of Tune Airport at 12:30 a.m., that idea appeared to be a non-starter, hence what happened.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

Michael Estime to leave WKYC around May according to FTVLive.  That same article also touched on the station's ratings problems in February:

As for the Tegna station that rebranded their news shows into shit like, “Go!”, “What’s New” and “Front Row” word is the Feb book was not kind to them.

“Strange what happens when you put someone in charge with zero local news experience,” said one station insider to FTVLive.

The insider added, “The egos of the people in charge are way too big to admit failure.”

• Like 3

14 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I'm curious if Scripps will even bother repairing it. Also, I would think most stations would keep their chopper at an airport. Most TV stations are not favorable locations for a helipad.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

I'm curious if Scripps will even bother repairing it. Also, I would think most stations would keep their chopper at an airport. Most TV stations are not favorable locations for a helipad.

It's probably toast...

14 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

It's owned by Helicopters Inc, and they supposedly already flew in a replacement. They are contractually obligated to provide a helicopter to WTVF, so they will do so until Scripps no longer renews the annual contract. Insurance will pick up whatever Helicopters Inc isn't responsible for, like the camera and transmitter.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:03 AM, T.L. Hughes said:

When I first heard that the helicopter was parked there while watching a live stream of their 7:00 a.m. newscast Wednesday morning, thought it seemed odd, considering that many news helicopters are housed on their station’s studio grounds, not at general aviation airports like John C. Tune Airport. 

The vast majority of, if not all, news helicopters are housed at airports. Most stations don't have the land for a hangar and helipad. Most stations also don't want to deal with the permitting to house jet fuel on-site.

10 hours ago, Weeters said:

It's owned by Helicopters Inc, and they supposedly already flew in a replacement. They are contractually obligated to provide a helicopter to WTVF, so they will do so until Scripps no longer renews the annual contract. Insurance will pick up whatever Helicopters Inc isn't responsible for, like the camera and transmitter.

The vast majority of, if not all, news helicopters are housed at airports. Most stations don't have the land for a hangar and helipad. Most stations also don't want to deal with the permitting to house jet fuel on-site.

They flew in a helicopter from (formerly of WCPO N90CL) from St. Louis within 14 hours of the tornadoes. 

Edited by rkolsen

14 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I don't know if anybody know this, but today marks the 30th anniversary of KCAL 9 News (Prime 9 News).

here's a retrospective narrated by Pat Harvey aired at last night's 8pm news. 

Are you ready for this though, a real treat: CBS LA uploaded thru YT the last ever signoff of KHJ at 12am Dec 2 1989, transition to KCAL with the much clearer, ever catchy 'california 9' jingle promo. It starts at :38 tho (lord, could they have edited out cleanly at start, please) but enjoy...

BTW, here's a report from Dec '89 when KHJ became KCAL after Disney's purchase. 

And a pre-launch of Prime 9 News in 1990. Apparently, music is based off 615 music's production library entitled 'reaching the dream' which you can search thru Warner Chappelle Prod Music's site.

My question tho is what happened between Dec '89 + Mar '90, was there news still at 9 or was it temporary suspended after acquisition was completed?

Edited by justin2kx
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, justin2kx said:

My question tho is what happened between Dec '89 + Mar '90, was there news still at 9 or was it temporary suspended after acquisition was completed?

The two half hour newscasts at 8 and 9 were still there, mostly likely they were still using the old KHJ graphics & logo and It's All Right Here up until Prime9 launched.

9 hours ago, rkolsen said:

They flew in a helicopter from (formerly of WCPO N90CL) from St. Louis within 14 hours of the hurricane

Don't you mean the tornadoes? Last time I checked we're not in Hurricane season yet.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:22 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, now we know where Brad Johansen is ending up....at WCMH in Columbus.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/3/6/what-is-going-on-in-columbus

The question is....what has happened to current anchor Mark Taylor?

More WCMH changes? Looks like weekend anchor Danielle Avitable is no longer listed on their website. They have Danielle Grossman anchoring this weekend. 

Diana Alvear has left WJZY. She has decided to be a stay at home mom. She had just returned from maternity leave with her second child. I had picked up on this and was thinking about posting something. I had not seen her on the news lately. And her Twitter bio had said “former Fox 46 news anchor.” She just put up that Facebook post today. She anchored the South Carolina Presidential Debate Special at 11:00 on February 25 and then disappeared shortly thereafter. I must have missed her on air announcement if there was one. Nexstar has not updated the website (it even still says FTS on the bottom) and her bio remains on there for now but she is gone. I am glad this is not a Nexstar decision. Lindsey Clein has replaced her at 6 and 10. She is also very good. Best of luck Diana, you will be missed.

Edited by Nelson R.