Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, Nelson R. said:

https://www.facebook.com/116380896454/posts/10156702416376455/?d=n&substory_index=0

Christine Sperow, formerly Nelson, announced this morning on WBTV she is leaving for “a major TV job in Atlanta.” Her last day will be March 4. She announced it at 6:15, I’m not sure if she mentioned the station but I don’t think she did. Best of luck to you Christine, you will be missed.

Yet another anchor leaves WBTV. It has not been the same since the Gray takeover. Don’t even get me started on not replacing Delano Little and Ashley Strohlein and not even having sports in their weekday 6:00 news anymore. (I am actually not sure Ashley would’ve left if her position was going to be filled, given that she went to rival WCNC).

Mary King, who joined the station last year from sister station WIS, will replace her as co-anchor. Congratulations Mary!

Slightly off topic but WBTV isn't the only Graycom station dragging it's feet replacing people. KSLA has only one sports anchor. Furthermore, they now has solo anchored newscasts the whole day. The weekend morning newscast doesn't even have an anchor. It's just Jessica Moore giving weather updates and then prepackaged stories throughout. Somehow, KSLA manages to have the largest weather team though as they have four meteorologists in contrast to the three at KTBS and KTAL.

What is with that?

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Slightly off topic but WBTV isn't the only Graycom station dragging it's feet replacing people. KSLA has only one sports anchor. Furthermore, they now has solo anchored newscasts the whole day. The weekend morning newscast doesn't even have an anchor. It's just Jessica Moore giving weather updates and then prepackaged stories throughout. Somehow, KSLA manages to have the largest weather team though as they have four meteorologists in contrast to the three at KTBS and KTAL.

What is with that?

I cannot put my finger on it.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:23 AM, Nelson R. said:

Christine Sperow, formerly Nelson, announced this morning on WBTV she is leaving for “a major TV job in Atlanta.”

We now know who she’s working for. She’ll be on WAGA’s 11:00 news and their new 4:30pm program. Oddly enough, the show will premiere on March 30, one week after Georgia’s presidential primary on the 24th.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/fox-atlanta-adding-newscast-with-new-anchor-christine-sperow/16XlYK3MohLg0gaf8jS7NK/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, froyo49 said:

We now know who she’s working for. She’ll be on WAGA’s 11:00 news and their new 4:30pm program. Oddly enough, the show will premiere on March 30, one week after Georgia’s presidential primary on the 24th.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/fox-atlanta-adding-newscast-with-new-anchor-christine-sperow/16XlYK3MohLg0gaf8jS7NK/

I remembering saying a few years ago that WAGA would do an afternoon news in the 4pm block even with Judy doing well.  I'm not surprise with FOX O&O stations. I think down the road we will see more of this with FOX O&O.

It also an election year too, and stations want as much money as possible.  I'm surprise WAGA and all FOX O&O not starting their morning news at 4AM.

2 hours ago, froyo49 said:

Wow. I enjoyed watching Christine when I lived in Charlotte as she and John Carter made a great team. Looking forward to seeing her on FOX 5!

Edited by swillh2k2
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I remembering saying a few years ago that WAGA would do an afternoon news in the 4pm block even with Judy doing well.  I'm not surprise with FOX O&O stations. I think down the road we will see more of this with FOX O&O.

It also an election year too, and stations want as much money as possible.  I'm surprise WAGA and all FOX O&O not starting their morning news at 4AM.

I am surprised they are not airing news in the entire 4:00 hour. But I guess they have to air Divorce Court sometime, no sister station to move it to. So much news on WAGA. 

On 2/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, CLETVFan said:

Laura Caso is joining WKYC in Cleveland from WAVY in Norfolk.  She will be joining Russ Mitchell on the 6pm newscast, and might pickup some more anchoring duties once Sara Shookman goes on maternity leave.

Based on this assignment, it sounds like WKYC has big plans for Laura Caso by teaming her with Russ Mitchell. Will miss seeing her locally, but wishing her the best. 

We've seen the occasional station....like WOAY that abandoned their longtime channel number and PSIP mapping in favor of their digital allocation (channel 50).

Well, as of their repack date, they have had to abandon channel 50, and they are once again....branded as channel 4!

image.png.7b96af1416a5ff112fd80e4d08eb63bf.png

A definite improvement over their prior logo!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

We've seen the occasional station....like WOAY that abandoned their longtime channel number and PSIP mapping in favor of their digital allocation (channel 50).

Well, as of their repack date, they have had to abandon channel 50, and they are once again....branded as channel 4!

image.png.7b96af1416a5ff112fd80e4d08eb63bf.png

A definite improvement over their prior logo!

And that definitely looks like a Linear Drift design - that they haven't debuted on air yet.

Just learned of this.  KXNW now has a 7pm newscast produced by KNWA (branded as KNWA News at 7:00 on KXNW).  It would also appear that KXNW has a new logo as well.  Apparently the new 7pm newscast has been running since February 10th.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2020/02/19/some-recent-changes-northwest-arkansas/?fbclid=IwAR33mRASQS7Hp293dtKCp0JGDSjy6Fowsk7RRNNOxr5B2QOyiwLlvagS2kY

Edited by TheRyan

On 2/24/2020 at 10:33 PM, swillh2k2 said:

Wow. I enjoyed watching Christine when I lived in Charlotte as she and John Carter made a great team. Looking forward to seeing her on FOX 5!

This move likely led to Atlanta native,  Marissa Mitchell, who was already anchoring the 11:00PM to announce she is leaving WAGA.

After a 38-year run, Steve Raible is calling it a career at KIRO-TV. Raible announced on the station's 6:00 p.m. newscast Wednesday that he will retire from the station as its main anchor in late Spring (my guess is probably around May sweeps). Raible will continue to appear on the station as a contributor for special event programming and will continue to do play-by-play for Seattle Seahawks radio broadcasts.

New Orleans TV and WWL Radio reports that former WDSU sports anchor Vince Marinello died Feb. 21 at Dixon Correctional Center in Jackson, La., about 45 minutes north-northeast of Baton Rouge. He was 82 and appeared to have died of natural causes. Marinello was serving a life sentence for the 2006 murder of his estranged wife, Mary Elizabeth, in a parking lot in Metairie. He also worked for WWL Radio and WTKL Kool 95.7 FM (now WKBU).

On 2/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, CircleSeven said:

@PelicanGuy, Color me surprised. But I believe this is the first time I've seen WDSU personnel dressing up.

Normally, they would wear station gear during the coverage.

Agreed, @CircleSeven. They normally just wear tuxedos and formal gowns. I guess they got tired of being called prude and lightened up a little.