Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 1/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

The Live Well Network name is finally going away, years after ending national distribution and mainly being a repeat-focused lifestyle network.

Instead, it'll become ABC's Local-ish starting February 17th.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243676/abc-oos-localish-expands-with-diginet-rebranding/

I know the official launch is the 17th. But I believe they've "soft-launched" this earlier this week.

I say this because I don't see any old Live Well shows on the guides. And the PSIP display name has changed from "LivWell" to "LOCLish".

Also, from this article, it states that some other affiliates are expressing some interest.

Other ABC affiliates are expressing interest in picking up Localish’s linear channel and/or supplying content for it, [Jennifer Mitchell, SVP of content development at ABCOTS] said.  But right now, the focus is on a smooth linear debut among her unit’s stations.  “Once we get this launched, we’ll have conversations with the (full) affiliate body about how we can work together,” she noted.

Edited by CircleSeven

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Wonder if any producers will end up fired or resign like what happened last year at KDKA.

Doubtful. The morning show has been particularly vocal about this, Frank Buckley and others on the station have repeatedly referred to them as the “Cheating Astros” while reading copy of the story.

52 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Doubtful. The morning show has been particularly vocal about this, Frank Buckley and others on the station have repeatedly referred to them as the “Cheating Astros” while reading copy of the story.

I mean, if the glove fits...

• Like 3

Things like this are what make the KTLA Morning News so popular. They keep it real. I may have an issue if it was on the 6pm or 10pm news, but I see no problem here. Southern California baseball fans are upset. Today, GMA, CBSTM...would this be OK? No. We are going to be bitter about this for quite sometime...

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, KRAP-TV said:

I mean, if the glove fits...

Born and raised in Houston and even I admit they cheated bad. My family and everyone else in Houston seem delusional about it haha. It’s crazy

45 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Things like this are what make the KTLA Morning News so popular.

Without a doubt my favorite morning tv program/cast.

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Things like this are what make the KTLA Morning News so popular. They keep it real. I may have an issue if it was on the 6pm or 10pm news, but I see no problem here. Southern California baseball fans are upset. Today, GMA, CBSTM...would this be OK? No. We are going to be bitter about this for quite sometime...

I get it. It is morning TV, and it is supposed to be lighthearted and funny at times. The KDKA Tom Brady incident did happen on an evening newscast, after all.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, channel2 said:

I wonder why there aren't more fans of the Indians or Rays feeling peeved? The Astros beat both of them in the postseason...

(Then again, most MLB teams don't seem to have super-vocal fanbases)

I'm of the belief that teams in general find any kind of advantage to win anytime. that's the culture of pro sports. Teams are usually extra to a point. Certain ones like patriots are at best 'headscratchers' with "deflategate" but has the cache of being a dominating force in their own league + those like Astros are so extra, the way they did it, NOT that they did it at all is what put them in the spotlight for ridicule. It was TOO obvious from not getting caught. Everything is in context. This is from someone who thinks you can't go back + void the 2017 postseason wins + award them to NY Yankees + LA Dodgers because they didn't earn them. Simple. Mind you my team (mets) wasn't involved in playoffs included HOU, so I haven't lost much sleep. Also, the recent comments from its owner + players forced to apologize (hell you can make a case for the recent interview from AJ Hinch) don't help that matter. If you think that quells any 'creative advantage' in the future, I've got a piece of brooklyn bridge to sell. Note that players are protected by the Union + thru an immunity deal, can't be sued as such.

Let's not forget, although isolated, one other incident involving astros' now former GM's inappropriate comment directed at the female reporter with 'Thank god we got Ozuna' after a PS win. The said GM attacked the same reporter for lying in a revelation, only for other sources (who were there) to back up the story. That aforementioned pitcher has a well documented past with domestic violence, so talk about tone deaf there. Thus, for me, troubles for them actually started during last years World Series. Football may have been 'America's sport' for about 2 decades but let's face it, look what put baseball back on the map (fair or unfair) A NEW villain has been created + will be followed thru the new season. Who knew? It many ways Sports have been + always will be the ultimate, original REALITY TV. Survivor can't create this shit up if they're able to, and they've been on air for 20 years.

Edited by justin2kx

CBS All Access Promos has been using Ruelle’s - Where We Come Alive.

Now I just noticed ABC is using the same song for American Idol Promos

i don’t think I’ve ever seen 2 different networks use the same song at the same time even though CBS was first to use it.

1 hour ago, news89 said:

Good move.  Looks like WEWS is trying to leverage the declines at WKYC by putting a recognizable face in the AM.   And, I'm pretty sure she has a young son, so these hours are likely to be more conducive to parenting. 

Admittedly, they should've done this about 8 years ago and put Kimberly Gill in the evenings.  (Still a bit salty that WEWS let Gill go, but it's been good for her at WDIV.)

6 hours ago, news89 said:

Could Mark Johnson end up following Danita to mornings, and switch places with Trent Magill on evenings?  I mean, Frank Wiley, who has been filling in on mornings with Trent and Katie Ussin, is currently on evenings.

31 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Could Mark Johnson end up following Danita to mornings, and switch places with Trent Magill on evenings?  I mean, Frank Wiley, who has been filling in on mornings with Trent and Katie Ussin, is currently on evenings.

I don't see that happening.  Harris is 100% claiming this is a decision that enables her to be a better mom to her school-aged child...which makes a ton of sense.  Unless they throw $$ at him (which is not happening in 2020) it isn't a logical move for Mark Johnson.  I do believe Harris alone will help elevate the profile of GMC again...which is needed since WKYC is a trainwreck and WOIO blew up their somewhat successful morning team (Duffy/Bosley/McLeod) for a revolving door of unknowns in the "Cleveland 19" debacle.  In Cleveland, mornings are a fight for second.

I always delve into Speculatron territory here - but I do wonder who they'll get to replace Danita.   They lost their bench of female anchors over the past few years (Dhominque Ricks, Corinna Pysa) and never technically replaced Lee Jordan. Though there always is Tracy Carloss, who has been on weekends forever. Or Homa Bash, who left and came back to Cleveland.

Edited by ttvn2000

27 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

I don't see that happening.  Harris is 100% claiming this is a decision that enables her to be a better mom to her school-aged child...which makes a ton of sense.  Unless they throw $$ at him (which is not happening in 2020) it isn't a logical move for Mark Johnson.  I do believe Harris alone will help elevate the profile of GMC again...which is needed since WKYC is a trainwreck and WOIO blew up their somewhat successful morning team (Duffy/Bosley/McLeod) for a revolving door of unknowns in the "Cleveland 19" debacle.  In Cleveland, mornings are a fight for second.

I always delve into Speculatron territory here - but I do wonder who they'll get to replace Danita.   They lost their bench of female anchors over the past few years (Dhominque Ricks, Corinna Pysa) and never technically replaced Lee Jordan. Though there always is Tracy Carloss, who has been on weekends forever. Or Homa Bash, who left and came back to Cleveland.

I won't be surprised if WEWS goes outside of the station to replace Danita for evenings.

WKYC is beyond a trainwreck in the mornings (with Dave Chudowsky covering the Indians' spring training, they're having Jay Crawford filling-in on Tuesday morning), but WOIO seems like they are rebounding.  They are stabilizing a bit with their current team, and having Jeff Tanchak back on the AM was a smart move.  Jamie Sullivan also came back to the station a few years ago in the same spot she used to be in.  "19 News" is a HUGE improvement over "Cleveland 19."  

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/116380896454/posts/10156702416376455/?d=n&substory_index=0

Christine Sperow, formerly Nelson, announced this morning on WBTV she is leaving for “a major TV job in Atlanta.” Her last day will be March 4. She announced it at 6:15, I’m not sure if she mentioned the station but I don’t think she did. Best of luck to you Christine, you will be missed.

Yet another anchor leaves WBTV. It has not been the same since the Gray takeover. Don’t even get me started on not replacing Delano Little and Ashley Strohlein and not even having sports in their weekday 6:00 news anymore. (I am actually not sure Ashley would’ve left if her position was going to be filled, given that she went to rival WCNC).

Mary King, who joined the station last year from sister station WIS, will replace her as co-anchor. Congratulations Mary!

Edited by Nelson R.