Out & About

TexasTVNews

8 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Lets say the reporter does a back to back live shot...from KRON to WIVB. Would Buffalo viewers even notice that the mic flags weren't switched out?

WJW and WGHP are nearly identical logos.  I'm sure the average viewer couldn't tell the difference.  Even the variances both stations use make them virtually identical.

There's also two identical WJBF mic flags, and two ones for KSNT's Fox affiliate (FOX 43) next to each other with one in white plastic, and the other with black plastic.

Unless I'm missing some other FOX 43 somewhere (it's not WVBT and definitely not WPMT)....

And since "The Big Game" has begun, doe's anyone else's over-the-air picture look like garbage?  I'm watching on WALA and WXXV, and both pictures look very compressed.  I'm thinking it's a network thing, having to downconvert from 4K for all of the people streaming on their firesticks....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

9 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

And since "The Big Game" has begun, doe's anyone else's over-the-air picture look like garbage?  I'm watching on WALA and WXXV, and both pictures look very compressed.  I'm thinking it's a network thing, having to downconvert from 4K for all of the people streaming on their firesticks....

I've noticed it too - a lot of ghosting. FOX OTA is still 720p, so I imagine they're trying to cut corners and only do one feed, native 4K for the apps, then downconvert for the stations.

32 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

There's also two identical WJBF mic flags, and two ones for KSNT's Fox affiliate (FOX 43) next to each other with one in white plastic, and the other with black plastic.

Unless I'm missing some other FOX 43 somewhere (it's not WVBT and definitely not WPMT)....

That's KTMJ in Topeka, part of their triopoly in that market where KSNT is the main newsgathering station.

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I've noticed it too - a lot of ghosting. FOX OTA is still 720p, so I imagine they're trying to cut corners and only do one feed, native 4K for the apps, then downconvert for the stations.

I thought the OTA feed looked bad as well.  Fox is producing the “4K feed” by upscaling a 1080p production and for the OTA broadcast downscaling from that 1080p production

1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

I thought the OTA feed looked bad as well.  Fox is producing the “4K feed” by upscaling a 1080p production and for the OTA broadcast downscaling from that 1080p production

Jeez....at least the other two networks are in 1080i that carry the Super Bowl, so there's less "conversion" involved....the interlacing is not as bad as the outright scaling of the picture down to 720 while keeping the same frame rate.

I had two sources to watch the game live on....WALA in Mobile and WXXV in Biloxi/Gulfport.  WALA has 3 other subchannels in SD, and WXXV has two others in 720p.  I used to complain that WXXV had an AWFUL picture quality trying to broadcast two 720p streams and a 480i (FOX & NBC and CW).  They've since made CW HD and the encoding has made all three streams much better.

I just hope we're not getting into a world where Broadcast TV loses the Super Bowl.  It's so prevalent in our daily lives, it's like our tax dollars are paying for it!🤣🤣

Two things of note:

* WDRB anchor Lindsey Allen is leaving the station after 10 years to focus on taking care of her children; she is in her ninth month of pregnancy with her second child, and will depart the station on Valentine's Day (February 14).

* Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Lori Fullbright is being inducted into to the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame for its 50th inductee class.

KSWB sent Heather Lake on a cross country trip to Miami. But also, there were reporters there with their mic flag. That pic probably wasn't all of them.

Edited by Bsean
Forgot quote

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Two things of note:

* WDRB anchor Lindsey Allen is leaving the station after 10 years to focus on taking care of her children; she is in her ninth month of pregnancy with her second child, and will depart the station on Valentine's Day (February 14).

* Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Lori Fullbright is being inducted into to the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame for its 50th inductee class.

I noticed that WJZY’s Diana Alvear has now returned from maternity leave with her second baby. Also today was Brigida Mack’s official debut on Good Day Charlotte.

Edited by Nelson R.
  • Like 1

Its amazing that nothing can happen to you over your career (i.e. various things like buyouts, layoffs, firings, etc.) and yet, its something health-related that can take you off for good.

But its true sadly and here in this case, its the vocal chords that'll take Gayle Guyardo off-the-air for good. February 28th is her last day at WFLA/WTTA after working there for 26 and a half years.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/news-channel-8s-gayle-guyardo-leaves-morning-news-to-rehab-her-vocal-chords/

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I noticed that WJZY’s Diana Alvear has now returned from maternity leave with her second baby. Also today was Brigida Mack’s official debut on Good Day Charlotte.

Yeah, WJZY via Fox is definitely upping their stock in the news product. Good Day Charlotte seems to be more like their sister station WAGA's Good Day Atlanta, where there is aim to have contemporary music played particularly Billboard Hot 100 songs during the newscast bumpers.  Brigida is definitely a relatable personality and seems to bring appeal to the growing number of black professionals that are relocating to Charlotte.  It's going to be interesting how GDC evolves with Brigida there as well as Nick, Paige, and Jason are very relatable to younger viewers (25-45 year olds) in general.  This might be the right mix for the station to accelerate ratings growth for WJZY in the mornings.  This is also giving credence to the second thoughts because Charlotte is a significant growth and very competitive media market with growing household incomes.

Edited by jero23
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

Would be nice to know what their plans are for those stations, including KFWD.

I can't really imagine much else. They'll just put their programming and try to make it an international news hub. They'll also add a few randoms subchannels in the mix to reel some people in...and that's about it 😂

Edited by Yankees4life

On 2/4/2020 at 9:12 AM, jero23 said:

Yeah, WJZY via Fox is definitely upping their stock in the news product. Good Day Charlotte seems to be more like their sister station WAGA's Good Day Atlanta, where there is aim to have contemporary music played particularly Billboard Hot 100 songs during the newscast bumpers.

I wish KTVU was like that in the mornings. They only play music on the 9am newscasts.

However, during the evening newscasts around the :43 mark of the hour, they tease a story and then a toss to the final weather check with a camera shot outside while using a song related to the story. For example if it’s a water skiing squirrel story, they will use like “Surfing USA.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

I wish KTVU was like that in the mornings. They only play music on the 9am newscasts.

However, during the evening newscasts around the :43 mark of the hour, they tease a story and then a toss to the final weather check with a camera shot outside while using a song related to the story. For example if it’s a water skiing squirrel story, they will use like “Surfing USA.”

KTVU's always had a business-oriented, no-BS format when it comes to morning news.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Laura Caso is joining WKYC in Cleveland from WAVY in Norfolk.  She will be joining Russ Mitchell on the 6pm newscast, and might pickup some more anchoring duties once Sara Shookman goes on maternity leave.

Another slap in the face to the more experienced anchors they already have in-house.  Also feels like an obvious demotion for Shookman, since they could’ve simply paired a new coanchor with Jim Donavan at 7.  (Or enlisted Danielle Serino,  but I’ll stop repeating myself.)

And that press release?  How many times do we have to say the 7pm broadcast is a “front row seat” to what’s happening...what’s new or what’s next?! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Kristi Leigh is leaving WTOL after three years - leaving her hometown for the first time in her career for KMPH in Fresno, CA.

https://www.toledoblade.com/a-e/tv-radio/2020/02/10/wtol-anchor-kristi-leigh-headed-to-new-job-in-fresno/stories/20200210092

Now would be the time to hire someone with gravitas for their newscasts, but I fear they'll just go young and cheap (new hire Carla Bayron?).  At least with Leigh, there were local connections - and she certainly improved in the role.

Big loss for WTOL.