Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, MadMan400096 said:

God, I love that song.

As an animation nut, I myself will mostly remember him as the guy who greenlit Scooby-Doo, which has gone on to become one of the longest-running franchises in the history of television, with new incarnations coming out to this day.

They named Fred after him, which always struck me as odd, because Hanna-Barbera already had a Fred (Flintstone).

He also told them to do a series of shorts starring Moby Dick, the crime-fighting whale. Who had a sidekick, a seal named Scooby...who was also voiced by Don Messick.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, channel2 said:

They named Fred after him, which always struck me as odd, because Hanna-Barbera already had a Fred (Flintstone).

He also told them to do a series of shorts starring Moby Dick, the crime-fighting whale. Who had a sidekick, a seal named Scooby...who was also voiced by Don Messic

Casey Kasem (who also voiced Shaggy) was also the voice of NBC in the late 70s...I wonder if Silverman was responsible for this too?   

• Like 1

Let's not forget that in 1980, Silverman was responsible for pulling the plug on three daytime game shows; Hollywood Squares (Marshall), Chain Reaction (Cullen), and

High Rollers (Trebek) in favor for a 90-minute daytime show which only lasted four months.

15 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Let's not forget that in 1980, Silverman was responsible for pulling the plug on three daytime game shows; Hollywood Squares (Marshall), Chain Reaction (Cullen), and

High Rollers (Trebek) in favor for a 90-minute daytime show which only lasted four months.

NBC kept one game show in its daytime lineup, Wheel of Fortune (Chuck & Susan).

In the annals of history, although Fred Silverman didn't make all of the right moves at the time, some of them led on to bigger and better things.

Flash forward to Jeff Zucker, and as he fell upward, everything he touched turned to 💩.  That followed him to CNN too.

If if wasn't for a certain reality show he helped launch, we may not have a certain orange-haired being in the oval office.

18 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

And before that, Silverman green-lit America Alive!, which killed The Gong Show and daytime Sanford and Son reruns. It was a talk-variety hour that would be considered "infotainment" in today's landscape with multiple hosts, including Jack Linkletter (Art's son) and Bruce Jenner (before he became Caitlin). It was live from New York, with remotes via satellite from Los Angeles and elsewhere on the East Coast, in front of a studio audience, and was a multi-million dollar flop that lasted just over five months on the air.

27 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

John Kucko can't even do his mic flag garland anymore and that speaks a ton.

What would it take to demonize Perry Sook?

43 minutes ago, memnews said:

Interesting how both WATN and WREG are in there.

Can’t believe they’re still doing that. They’ve got around 200 stations now. (Yes, I know not all of them air news.) It’s so small market and amateur. Do custom lives for the big markets and the others can use generic look lives. 

Big retirement in Houston. Bill Balleza left KPRC Friday night after 4 decades. He joined the station in 1980 as an anchor/reporter and had been the primary evening anchor since 1990. Here’s his farewell ...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/02/01/final-farewell-bill-balleza-thanks-all-those-who-helped-throughout-his-40-year-career-at-kprc-2/

Edited by Greggo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

Looking at the pic closely, there's a little sticker where it states that city. It looks like its says "LACROSSE"

Yep. From the "wiproud" website....

First-PM-Update.png

Edited by CircleSeven

15 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why is WATN there? What station represents the First News at 9:00 mic flag? I don't remember that one.

It appears to be LaCrosse, WI (based on the sticker barely visible).

J

Edited by compubit

8 hours ago, Greggo said:

Big retirement in Houston. Bill Balleza left KPRC Friday night after 4 decades. He joined the station in 1980 as an anchor/reporter and had been the primary evening anchor since 1990. Here’s his farewell ...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/02/01/final-farewell-bill-balleza-thanks-all-those-who-helped-throughout-his-40-year-career-at-kprc-2/

I fully expect Keith Garvin to succeed him.

11 hours ago, TheRob said:

Just for fun, here's a bagful of mic flags from Nexstar at the Super Bowl. They will have done more than 1,600 live shots by the end of Sunday. 

Lets say the reporter does a back to back live shot...from KRON to WIVB. Would Buffalo viewers even notice that the mic flags weren't switched out?

13 hours ago, TheRob said:

Also interesting the old and new WTEN logo are there. The old one was used for a live shot yesterday. 

I don't think that's even all of the Nexstar mic flags. I don't see KSWB, KLAS, KXAN, or WNCN.

56 minutes ago, bhratbrat said:

I would assume KRON and WDAF sent there own team down. 

There's a KRON flag in the picture, which surprised me, but it could be there because it was easier to take the entire collection than to try to pull out the ones that won't be used.

Yes, we sent our own team and did our own live shots, as well as a few for the Kansas/Missouri Nexstar stations.

KRON and KTXL both sent their own crews. Nexstar assembled a team for the rest of the group, one set of reporters doing morning lives, and the other doing evening lives. They were doing live shots on three different paths simultaneously.

• Like 2

WKRG's mic flag is old, they replaced it when they changed to the CBS package 2 years ago.

For as penny-pinching a company Nexstar is, you would think that buying a single electronic LED mic flag that you could instantly change the logo on would be more cost effective than shipping and changing out hundreds of mic flags....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheRob said:

Funny thing I noticed: my local Nexstar station (WWLP) is there, but due to how the mic flag was placed, the logo that's most visible is that of the CW subchannel. You can still see the main WWLP logo, but it's a bit hard to make out.

4 hours ago, djlynch said:

I don't think that's even all of the Nexstar mic flags. I don't see KSWB, KLAS, KXAN, or WNCN.

There's a KRON flag in the picture, which surprised me, but it could be there because it was easier to take the entire collection than to try to pull out the ones that won't be used.

No KFOR

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WKRG's mic flag is old, they replaced it when they changed to the CBS package 2 years ago.

For as penny-pinching a company Nexstar is, you would think that buying a single electronic LED mic flag that you could instantly change the logo on would be more cost effective than shipping and changing out hundreds of mic flags....

Fortunately for Nexstar, the next 2 Super Bowls, LV & LVI, will be in Tampa and Los Angeles respectively, so maybe on the following will happen:

Nexstar will ship a box full of flags to WFLA and KTLA

Purchase a croma key flag and let the control rooms handle the rest

Just use a generic flag with the Nexstar logo.