Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 1/19/2020 at 3:39 PM, JCB4TV said:

Florida (29 EVs), Georgia (16), Michigan (16) can be in play this cycle as these states can very well decide the election.

Yes and come say December 1st you can give yourself an “I was there to watch the short lived newscast CBS mainly outsourced” pin because most likely it’ll be gone by then. Georgia isn’t looking too in play yet (saw some polls last week that had Trumps smallest lead at 7 I think over Biden there) but Michigan and Florida are. 

Is CBS the only O&O operator with such a patchwork of news departments?

• Like 2

This is getting silly.

WADL is launching a new half-hour 10pm news program entitled News Now with Kevin Dietz, hosted by former WDIV reporter Kevin Dietz.  

But this will not be your typical news program. As explained by station owner Kevin Adell:

WADL CEO Kevin Adell said the newscast will play to Dietz’s investigative strengths. It will typically feature two long reports, and will not focus on house fires and burglaries. It will be produced at WADL. “It’s definitely local--what’s going on at the water cooler,” said Adell, who told Detroit Free Press Dietz will fight for the underdog.

The program premieres tonight, one day before WKBD's new 10pm show (produced out of Fort Worth, TX) premieres.

44 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

This is getting silly.

WADL is launching a new half-hour 10pm news program entitled News Now with Kevin Dietz, hosted by former WDIV reporter Kevin Dietz.  

But this will not be your typical news program. As explained by station owner Kevin Adell:

The program premieres tonight, one day before WKBD's new 10pm show (produced out of Fort Worth, TX) premieres.

It has a public access quality from what I understand... yikes...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Lawd it makes NY's chasing news a 'pro' in production by comparison + even then it says a lot. Looks like it's filmed at some mancave basement, used for podcast rather for some conspiracy theory/right wing talk or some ish. I mean i see small WJR logo placed there. If he wanted to present it as just some radio talk show, it's plausible to go that route but still....Production qualities for some real public access types have advanced since.   

The Live Well Network name is finally going away, years after ending national distribution and mainly being a repeat-focused lifestyle network.

Instead, it'll become ABC's Local-ish starting February 17th.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243676/abc-oos-localish-expands-with-diginet-rebranding/

13 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

The Live Well Network name is finally going away, years after ending national distribution and mainly being a repeat-focused lifestyle network.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/243676/abc-oos-localish-expands-with-diginet-rebranding/

Soon to follow:

News-ish

Truth-ish

Worth Watching-ish

Fish-ish

Boring-ish

And introducing: Ish-ish

I think ABC’s motto must be “an ish in every home and 2 ish’s in every pot!”...

Edited by ns8401
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Certain shows listed (More In Common, Bite Size) are already airing on LWN right now.

This will be in direct competition with NBC's LX diginet launching on their O&Os later this year.

14 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I mean, this move actually makes sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

I think ABC’s motto must be “an ish in every home and and 2 ish’s in every pot!”...

That pales in comparison to the A&P grocery chain's famous motto of yesteryear (no joke), "We watch our P's & Q's!"  (Now that's a motto a certain Scripps-owned station in the Big Apple could adopt LOL...) 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

LWN was well past its prime, a bygone network from the "health TV" craze of the late 2000s. I think being home to Pickler & Ben was the last time ABC breathed some kind of life into it.

5 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Lawd it makes NY's chasing news a 'pro' in production by comparison + even then it says a lot. Looks like it's filmed at some mancave basement, used for podcast rather for some conspiracy theory/right wing talk or some ish. I mean i see small WJR logo placed there.

It feels exactly that; they describe it as such...but in the end it's Yet Another Edited Radio Simulcast Show, with a bit of KDNL's late-and-not-missed Allman Report sprinkled in. I do not understand why even though this format has failed hard over and over again in markets big and small, stations continue to pursue it.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

A new coat of paint won't do much for them; they get rid of the now-irrelevant programming, but now it's replaced with what seems to be a loop of the auto-play pain that's carried between videos on ABC O&O sites.

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

Soon to follow:

News-ish

Truth-ish

Worth Watching-ish

Fish-ish

Boring-ish

And introducing: Ish-ish

I think ABC’s motto must be “an ish in every home and 2 ish’s in every pot!”...

Don't forget... black-ish and grown-ish on The ABC Television Network.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, NewsMaster said:

Little off-beat, but since we're talking about the ABC O&O's, I'll put this out: most of the ABC O&O's meterologists met for a summit in NYC: https://twitter.com/abc7dallas/status/1220061479715721216?s=20

Surprised Cecily was only one from WPVI as it’s only an hour and half trek up the NJ Turnpike. Whose the guy in front of Jeff Smith?

WNYT has found their replacement for Greg Pollak, and has made history in doing so.

Allison Finch, a current senior at UAlbany graduating this May, is the first woman meteorologist that WNYT has ever had, a good 25ish years since WRGB and WTEN did similar.

Edited by scrabbleship

1 hour ago, scrabbleship said:

WNYT has found their replacement for Greg Pollak, and has made history in doing so.

Allison Finch, a current senior at UAlbany graduating this May, is the first woman meteorologist that WNYT has ever had, a good 25ish years since WRGB and WTEN did similar.

Really? I find that hard to believe. It took WNYT until 2020 to finally take that plunge?

Longtime KOTV anchor/reporter Rick Wells is retiring tonight after 30 years with the station. 

A career retrospective. Aired during tonight 6pm news. 

https://www.newson6.com/clip/14991764/rick-wells-stories-through-the-years

And his final piece for the station, one of his trademark "Hey, What's the Deal" segments. 

https://www.newson6.com/story/41605128/rick-wells-final-story-hey-whats-the-deal-with-baby-yoda

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ns8401 said:

They came from the same school of thought as KTVU and the 5 day forecast I guess...

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Really? I find that hard to believe. It took WNYT until 2020 to finally take that plunge?

It's not that hard to believe. WNYT is a station which is still stuck in the 90s in many ways - that they kept their 1995 vintage set until 2018 is probably Exhibit A. They never have had a ticker at any time of the day, their morning newscast still starts at 5:00 versus 4:30, their use of WNYA pales to that of WRGB's of WCWN or WTEN's of WXXA even. Much of this is at the feet of their longtime GM, Steve Baboulis, who has been GM since Hubbard took over at 1996, was ND during their worst-to-dominant period, and has been at the station in some form since 1977. For all of the "when (Benita/Jim/Elaine/Bob/Rodger/et Al.) retires 13 will not be the same" talk,  when Steve calls it a career you know that stuff's going to go down at the hands of Hubbard...or whoever ends up with WNYT down the road.

The "one of the newest members" caption makes me wonder if something else is going to go down. Bob finally calling it a career and someone new doing noon/4:00? Neal Estano re-calling it a career and someone new going on mornings? This could get interesting.

• Like 1