Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

Even with a .5 or a 1 rating, which is probably about all they could realistically expect, if even, they can still rake in plenty of political ad dollars in 2020. After that, maybe they cancel. Maybe not. Candidates like to buy into news, primarily. Someone above asked why they aren't doing news on KTXA and WBFS? In both those markets, CBS already has newscasts it can sell into: KTVT and WFOR.

However, I do have a feeling though that once CBSN DFW and CBSN Miami launches, you'll be seeing an hour-long newscast from the service on both KTXA and WBFS, respectively.

2 hours ago, Greggo said:

Even with a .5 or a 1 rating, which is probably about all they could realistically expect, if even, they can still rake in plenty of political ad dollars in 2020. After that, maybe they cancel. Maybe not. Candidates like to buy into news, primarily. Someone above asked why they aren't doing news on KTXA and WBFS? In both those markets, CBS already has newscasts it can sell into: KTVT and WFOR.

KTXA did have a prime time newscast starting when they went back to being an independent in 2006 up until 2011. It started as a 2 hour broadcast before eventually being cut to one hour (it was cancelled soon after).

This has to be purely for political dollars, or Seattle would be in the mix. CBS is probably kicking themselves for tossing WGNT (Virginia/NC) and WTVX (West Palm). Only show I could see surviving after the election is the one in Atlanta. And don't they already HAVE local cut-ins in Detroit? Why not test the waters again with WWJ and maybe increase your returns?

That all aside, If you had asked me the company that would try this first in major markets, my first guess would not have been CBS.

Speaking of the CBSNs, all CBSN Minnesota is right now is reruns of WCCO newscasts. Wonder if they’ll get with the program and produce original newscasts like New York, Los Angeles, Boston, and Bay Area are doing.

Edited by Georgie56

I saw where AJC Radio and TV Talk picked up the story about CBS looking for to do local CW affiliate 10PM newscasts.  https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/the-starting-hybrid-local-cbs-national-news-program-february/9ZyHFtJP9nOeDtCBfsL6YO/

I'd agree with others about Detroit that it wouldn't hurt CBS to restart WWJ news department from scratch.  Stations doing local news is cheaper to produce and more profitable, even if the ratings aren't the absolute best.  I also noticed Seattle being missing.  I have yet to see on-air promos on WUPA promoting new nightly 10PM newscast.

26 minutes ago, ChocoMingo said:

Well then. Looks like I gotta plan on updating WKBD/WWJ & WTOG's compilation. Never would I thought WTOG would bring back their newscast. This is surprising news.

To put it into perspective... its been 7 years since WKBD has aired a newscast, 15 years since WUPA has aired a newscast and yes... 22 years since WTOG has aired a newscast which was their former news department that ended in 1998.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Why couldn't WBBM produce the WKBD newscast? They're the closest O&O to Detroit with a news operation.

The only thing I can think of are WBBM’s ratings woes.

WCBS is a stronger station than WBBM. 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, TSSZNews said:

This has to be purely for political dollars, or Seattle would be in the mix. CBS is probably kicking themselves for tossing WGNT (Virginia/NC) and WTVX (West Palm).

WTVX's only news use was for hurricane purposes and was always an albatross; frankly for as little as we hear about it,  WBFS could sign off without any advanced notice at this point and very few people would even remember WBFS existed. As much as political revenue is something to be chased, it's probably an incredibly low amount on your average MyNetworkTV affiliate, and a little more, but still negligible on a CW affiliate since you have your usual mix of low-wattage advertisers giving loyal year-round revenue on court show/sitcom blocks enjoyed in offices, restaurants and medical facilities marketwide. 

34 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

The only thing I can think of are WBBM’s ratings woes.

WCBS is a stronger station than WBBM. 

The Dallas duopoly is likely very used to doing multiple newscasts for both KTVT/KTXA and have it down to an art, along with WCBS/WLNY; WBBM hasn't done anything outside of traditional timeslots outside of 'at your desk' shows and social. Station strength plays into it easily, but having the ethic/ability to produce multiple newscasts is likely much more of a factor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Why couldn't WBBM produce the WKBD newscast? They're the closest O&O to Detroit with a news operation.

I assume as well that it's a matter of KTVT having the infrastructure in place to do newscasts for other stations.

Years ago, before WGME did a 7PM weekday general purpose newscast, they ran a half-hour politics-themed newscast in the weeks leading up to the election. Not sure what the ratings were, but they sure vacuumed up a boatload of political ad dollars in that time slot. I wonder if that might be more of an ideal focus for this CBS venture if the goal is what everyone thinks it is. What I'm thinking is, have the originating station focus on national politics (the presidential race, balance of power in the Senate etc.) the have the MMJs focus on local and statewide races along with some local color on the presidential. Sure beats doing stand-ups at the scene of structure fires and drive-by shootings.

Edited by newsbot

last time WTVX had a newscast it was being produced by KUTV.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and again what happens after Election Day. I have a feeling these newscasts will get pulled by December 1st. Its also the same with the new news department going in @ WSFL

15 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

To put it into perspective... its been 7 years since WKBD has aired a newscast, 15 years since WUPA has aired a newscast and yes... 22 years since WTOG has aired a newscast which was their former news department that ended in 1998.

WKBD last had a real newscast of their own when their news department was shuttered in 2002... then WXYZ ran it as “UPN Action News” until 2004. Nobody around here really counts “First Forecast Mornings” as much of anything and that was on WWJ as I recall...

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, nickp said:

I'm expecting the CW 10pm news for WKBD will be a backdoor pilot towards reintroduction of traditional news bulletins to WWJ

It’s most likely just a political ad ploy... it’s unlikely they’ll start any kind of news department at all...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

WKBD last had a real newscast of their own when their news department was shuttered in 2002... then WXYZ ran it as “UPN Action News” until 2004. Nobody around here really counts “First Forecast Mornings” as much of anything and that was on WWJ as I recall...

It was on WWJ from 5-7 a.m. but WKBD also had a 2-hour extension from 7-9 a.m.

3 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It was on WWJ from 5-7 a.m. but WKBD also had a 2-hour extension from 7-9 a.m.

Ah Randy Bhirdo and Syma Chowdrey were involved in that if I remember correctly... Syma is now at WXYZ and I think Randy still does traffic at WWJ-AM...

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

It’s most likely just a political ad ploy... it’s unlikely they’ll start any kind of news department at all...

Florida (29 EVs), Georgia (16), Michigan (16) can be in play this cycle as these states can very well decide the election.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:05 PM, ns8401 said:

I'm kind of thinking that too.  Even FTVLive reported that this stunt CBS has opted for is a "money grab".  WCBS 2 NYC producing WUPA 69 Atlanta newscast, KTVT 11 DFW producing WKBD 50 Detroit newscast, and WFOR 4 Miami producing WTOG 44 Tampa Bay newscast.

(1) Better scenario would've been having a competing station produce newscasts.  Atlanta, having WSB 2 do WUPA newscast.  Tampa Bay having WTSP 10 or WFTS 28 do WTOG newscast.  Detroit, having WDIV 4 do WKBD newscast, if WWJ 62 relaunching news department isn't on CBS' agenda.

(2) Another thing worth pointing out, CBS may not be exactly alone.  Scripps is looking to start a WSFL 39 Miami newscast this year.  And I'm kind of thinking that too is another money grab.  It'll be interesting to see whether WSFL newscast will be produced by WPTV 5 WPB or WFTS 28 Tampa Bay.

3 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'm kind of thinking that too.  Even FTVLive reported that this stunt CBS has opted for is a "money grab".  WCBS 2 NYC producing WUPA 69 Atlanta newscast, KTVT 11 DFW producing WKBD 50 Detroit newscast, and WFOR 4 Miami producing WTOG 44 Tampa Bay newscast.

(1) Better scenario would've been having a competing station produce newscasts.  Atlanta, having WSB 2 do WUPA newscast.  Tampa Bay having WTSP 10 or WFTS 28 do WTOG newscast.  Detroit, having WDIV 4 do WKBD newscast, if WWJ 62 relaunching news department isn't on CBS' agenda.

Why would that be a better scenario for CBS? I'm sure using existing resources at the O&Os is cheaper for CBS than outsourcing the newscasts to competing stations in the markets. Outsourcing would also help promote the rival stations. Since this is likely just a quick cash grab for political ad revenue, the best scenario for CBS is the one that costs the company the least. Which is likely what they're doing.

5 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

(2) Another thing worth pointing out, CBS may not be exactly alone.  Scripps is looking to start a WSFL 39 Miami newscast this year.  And I'm kind of thinking that too is another money grab.  It'll be interesting to see whether WSFL newscast will be produced by WPTV 5 WPB or WFTS 28 Tampa Bay.

The WSFL newscasts will be produced in-house. Scripps is already building a team for the new news operation.