Out & About

TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, newsbot said:

WMTW expanded its weekday 12PM newscast to an hour today; WCSH and WGME remain at a half-hour. Previously WMTW aired a rerun of Access Hollywood in the 12:30PM time slot.

For the record:

WCSH airs Daily Blast Live at 12:30 p.m., while WGME airs The Young & The Restless.

• Like 1

KRQE is losing its "Chief"

Chief Meteorologist Mark Ronchetti has decided to leave the station.

In unrelated news, in addition to WMTW expanding its noon newscast to an hour and WSOC adding an hour-long 7:00 p.m. newscast on WAXN (all of which will be reported on my blog soon), the following is also happening or has happened (sorry if I'm creating a list here)...

• WBRC Birmingham has expanded its Sunday morning news by an extra half-hour at 8:00 a.m. which then follows Full Court Press at 8:30 a.m.
  • KHOU Houston has quietly added an hour-long Sunday morning newscast at 7:00 a.m. anchored by Lauren Talarico and Meteorologist Addison Green.
  • WJLA Washington, D.C. has also quietly added a weekend morning newscast but its just a half-hour at 7:30 a.m. on Sundays with Kellye Lynn and Meteorologist Alex Liggitt.
  • Finally, WTAE Pittsburgh is planning to expand its weekday noon newscast to a full hour, following in WMTW's footsteps starting January 13th.

51 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Finally, WTAE Pittsburgh is planning to expand its weekday noon newscast to a full hour, following in WMTW's footsteps starting January 13th.

I was wondering when it was going to start since I seen a promo for it recently, so thanks!

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Ed Bark is retiring from DFW TV coverage. Now who will we get our ratings breakdowns from? 

Well, that sucks. We lost local media coverage in Maine when Al Diamon mothballed his Media Mutt column years ago, so I know firsthand how it feels to lose this vital service. It's not like anyone else is waiting in the wings to take over this beat.

• Like 1

From FTVLive--a fire broke out at the KCRA building.  Thankfully it wasn't widespread and was apparently contained to just an older portion of the building mainly for storage.  Does anyone know how their newscasts were affected during the fire?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/1/7/fire-rips-through-hearst-station

Edit: There is also this article from the Sacramento Bee.  Apparently they was an evacuation at the KCRA studios.  Also, the article clarifies that the fire took place early Sunday morning.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article238981353.html

• Like 1

I don't believe the station was ever off the air, and I think they still had their usual Sunday morning news. The fire did impact its phone system (some numbers and extensions stopped working) as well as some other technical issues.

• Like 1

Digging around online, it looks like the two story building the fire happened in was originally built in the 50's for KCRA radio. It's so disconnected from the "new" part of the building I can see why it's been abandoned. 

https://www.valcomnews.com/kcra-channel-3-first-aired-nearly-six-decades-ago/

A caption below the sketch noted that the completed television studio had formerly been a garage and was undergoing remodeling for its intended television purposes. The structure, which was more precisely an old, Crystal Cream and Butter Co. dairy truck barn, had 16,000 square feet of floor space.
Adjoining that unit would be a new two-story radio studio, which would include 7,600 square feet of floor space.

The biggest loss here is a place I'm sure the engineers and IT people loved to hide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, channel2 said:

Most major media outlets seem to have given up on that beat ages ago. It's noticeably harder to find reliable ratings info than it used to be.

One of the major issues is that Nielsen isn't subscribed to universally any longer...some have that, and some use Comscore/Rentrak instead, and these days, there are so many ways that numbers are 'proprietary information' that no media organization wants the lawsuits that come with printing an xx.x number (Feder basically has to cherry-pick stations in his monthly radio rundowns to avoid the Nielsen lawsuit hammer because there are Nielsen-tracked stations that don't pay the money for that number).

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, MikePulse said:

#MeanwhileInOrlando, another departure from the Big Red 9. 

WSB made it official. Jorge will anchor the 5 and 11 (THE Nightbeat), while Justin Farmer will keep to the 4 and 6. 

In other Cox related news, David and Peggy up in Pittsburgh marked 30 years anchoring together; and here in 9-Ville, Greg and Vanessa are back together for the 4:00. Again. (In addition to Nancy Alvarez joining Vanessa for the noon, and the morning news now starting at 4:30)

• Like 2