Out & About

TexasTVNews

8 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Speaking of the 1994 affiliatiion switches, was WAKC EVER in the running to become a marketwide ABC or CBS affiliate for Cleveland? I'm talking about an alternate timeline where WOIO and WUAB both said NO to CBS.

Very doubtful.  At the time, they were just purchased from their longtime owners, the Berk Family by ValueVision, and by some miracle, they kept their newscasts and ABC affiliation, although they tried to rebrand themselves as "The North Ohio News Station" despite being based out of Akron and a signal that reflected that.  ValueVision is now ShopHQ, after a long string of names and owners....(ShopNBC, Evine, Evine Live, and a first stint as ShopHQ before Evine).  Paxson would have probably bought another station  (or kept WOAC and moved it to where Shop At Home moved it to....Brimfield or somewhere in that area)

WBNX would have probably been far more likely to land CBS. Their signal was more comparable to the Cleveland stations (and that could have gotten REAL interesting given their recent saga!)  They did benefit from the switch by picking up Fox Kids and ramped up their syndication efforts....and they ended up getting the WB several years later.

In the mid 90's CBS's ratings were trending downward even before the switches happened.  It wouldn't be until they stole the AFC from NBC 4 years later when they began to rise again...which may have cast doubt on WEWS/Scripps trying to get CBS (back)...

9 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Am I the only one extremely disappointed she wasn’t reunited with Bob Opsahl for one final time? Also, did they mention him and her together at all? I don’t even see where he said anything.

The only time Bob and Martie got together again was at the very end of last Friday's noon and 6:00 p.m. newscasts.

A few weeks ago, KIII's (Corpus Christi) Chief Meteorologist, Bill Vessey, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke. An interview on last night's 10 PM news showed him up and about with the help of a walker. He seemed to be in good spirits, and his speech was clear. He continues to work on building the strength in his right arm and leg, but he was able to give the reporter a hearty handshake.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I guess Sinclair figured it wasn't even worth producing a South Bend Special...

Wouldn't they need a seperate set to make a South Bend-produced WXLV newscast work, especially if there are any WNWO newscasts live at the same time?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Wouldn't they need a seperate set to make a South Bend-produced WXLV newscast work, especially if there are any WNWO newscasts live at the same time?

Lol they didn't even need that much, because it was Spectrum News on WXLV. WXLV never really had good luck there, you have 3 powerhouses, and the triad just can't support that many news operations. 

On 12/18/2019 at 1:18 AM, TheRyan said:

I was using that as more or less a generic term to describe their farmed out newscasts. You could call it a Fresno or West Palm Beach special, but doesn't have quite the same ring.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

We got another new subchannel debuting and its a Sports one too. Yes, its FREE.

Ladies and gentlemen... welcome, to beIn Sports Xtra.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191219005402/en/beIN-SPORTS-Inks-Deal-HC2-Broadcasting-Launch

Any word on the premiere date?

On 12/16/2019 at 10:31 PM, 8Viewer said:

In the Tampa Bay area, there were rumors circulating that WLCY would lose its ABC affiliation and WFLA was in talks to pick it up. That was about the time Rahall sold the station. 

All of the conditions that led ABC to switch to KSTP, WSB, WSOC, WTLV, WSAV, WBRZ, and KOMU were present in the Tampa Bay market. I wonder what made WFLA decide to stay with NBC; and WIS and WSFA for that matter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

All of the conditions that led ABC to switch to KSTP, WSB, WSOC, WTLV, WSAV, WBRZ, and KOMU were present in the Tampa Bay market. I wonder what made WFLA decide to stay with NBC; and WIS and WSFA for that matter.

Good question. I'll have to see if I can find the article(s) again. I just know that ABC put WLCY "on notice" and that ABC was rumored to be wooing WFLA. There was a later article from '81 I think where the president of ABC said they were much happier after WTSP built a new transmitter. The WLCY-TV situation is pretty unique and a long discussion, but basically they were appealing to the FCC as early as 1967 for a new transmitter location since nearly half the market couldn't receive channel 10. The station was a "dog" and the ratings were proof

In May 1978, these were the 11 o'clock Tampa sweeps numbers:

WTVT  43 share, WFLA 33 share, WLCY 11 share

WTOG got a better share of the market than the ABC affiliate!

Edited by 8Viewer

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

Good question. I'll have to see if I can find the article(s) again. I just know that ABC put WLCY "on notice" and that ABC was rumored to be wooing WFLA. There was a later article from '81 I think where the president of ABC said they were much happier after WTSP built a new transmitter. The WLCY-TV situation is pretty unique and a long discussion, but basically they were appealing to the FCC as early as 1967 for a new transmitter location since nearly half the market couldn't receive channel 10. The station was a "dog" and the ratings were proof

In May 1978, these were the 11 o'clock Tampa sweeps numbers:

WTVT  43 share, WFLA 33 share, WLCY 11 share

WTOG got a better share of the market than the ABC affiliate!

From my readings, I believe that channel 10 in Tampa had to build their stick further north than the others Tampa stations as to protect WPLG in Miami. This is the reason that WLXT (WWSB) went with ABC when they signed on in 1971.

• Like 1

Ever since Bill Green retired from WCSH/WLBZ last month there was some question as to who, if anyone, would pick up the mantle of chronicling the state of Maine on a weekly basis. It appears WMTW may be taking baby steps towards establishing their own franchise. Veteran WMTW anchor/reporter Steve Minich hosts "Total Maine with Steve Minich" on WMTW sister station WPXT on January 4th.  So far it's only a OTO compilation of content that has already appears on weekday newscasts. Despite WMTW and WPXT being Hearst stations, they didn't bother with the Chronicle branding (which WMTW uses infrequently for hour-long "specials" which preempt ABC prime time programming.)

Edit:
Kind of inauspicious start if you ask me (they aired it instead of their usual 7PM newscast that would ordinarily air in the time slot whenever there's a sports overrun on WMTW.) Typical half-hearted Hearst Portland move.

Edited by newsbot