Out & About

TexasTVNews

So let me get this straight. This GM doesn't want add another sub channel for fear of degrading the main channels PQ? And, this GM doesn't want to put any programming of real value on the .2 for fear they may need to discontinue the .2 down road for a bunch of additional mobile TV channels? You can do both subs (even multiple subs) & mobile. There are plenty of examples of this across the country. It's even more ridiculous when you take into account they have figured out how to use variable bitrates. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to understand this GM's logic. It doesn't make any sense to me.

There is another forum/message board full of videophiles that monitors the PQ on the HD stations in town. They were the ones that pushed KPHO to become the first Meredith station to broadcast in HD approximately ten years ago--the last station in town to do so (they had been broadcasting in SD only on their digital channel)--when the company was dead set against upgrading and instead considering buying devices that would "speed up" the commercials so they could run more of them. The AVS crew have the phone number for the "Viewer Relations Director" (basically, the program director) on speed dial. That's one of the reasons they're not budging on the HD bandwidth. Hey, I believe the bandwidth they're currently dedicating for the .2 is enough for a network like Antenna TV. I hope someone at the station is reading this, because there is no good explanation why they haven't switched, and Dyle is flopping (according to the electronics rankings on Amazon for the Audiovox receiver).

Man looking through the data over on Trip's site I can see why you have a frustration with lack of subs and underutilized bandwidth in your market. What's up with that Belo duopoly? Only One subchannel and one mobile channel between those two RF channels?

I don't know what the Belo (soon to be Sander) stations' plans are. The Program Director of the stations told me that they had plans for the KASW bandwidth, but didn't give me any specifics, but maybe they could squeeze in a 3.3. Given that it took them over three years to get cable carriage (which is important to the subchannel networks) for 3.2, it will take them that long to do the same for a proposed 3.3.

Walter Makaula leaves KSWB to anchor mornings at WFOR starting mid Jan 2014

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/miami-cbs-station-has-new-am-news-anchor_b111548

prediction: Walter and Summer Knowles will become the new morning team and when Rhiannon Ally returns from maternity leave they will give her the main spot with Rick Folbaum.

Followup to my replies this week: According to the TitanTV Listings of KNXV, they are dropping LiveWell for Antenna TV on their 15.2 subchannel on Midnight, January 1. And KPHO is still wasting their 5.2 away.

Must be nice. Except for ME-TV on KSAT 12.2 all the digital subchannels here suck. WOAI has LiveWell, KENS has Estrella TV on DT2 and their doppler radar feed on DT3. KPXL has three home shopping channels (ShopTV, QVC and HSN) in addition to ion Life and Qubo. KABB has ZUUS Country and KMYS has MundoFox. All are horrible uses of subchannels. Me-TV, Antenna TV, Movies!, This TV are good subchannels. Hell even Bounce is better than all the subchannels we get here. I was happy when KSAT dumped LATV and WOAI dumped Mexicanal but WOAI replaced it with crap while KSAT put quality programming in its place. Please Sinclair or Gannett or anybody, bring Antenna TV to S.A.

Or possibly team her up with Elliott at noon and 6.

I can see that happening as that would mean Rhiannon and her husband would have at least somewhat the same schedule. Her husband is Mike Marza who currently co-anchors WSVN's 4 & 6:30 PM newscasts and reports for the 5, 6 10 & 11 newscasts.

I came across this today: Brad Mefferd from Buckeye Cable and Barry Faber from Sinclair talked with Toledo radio station WSPD recently about the retrans situation going on with WNWO right now.

http://www.wspd.com/media/podcast-scott-sands-scottsands/1216-brad-mefferd-of-buckeye-cablesystem-24097241/

LOL at some of the things Faber says, including bringing up the Disney Channel and saying he doesn't know what Mefferd meant when he called WNWO "lowly rated" (which they are).

And Buckeye is taking out ads like this one in co-owned newspaper The Blade:

buckeye_sinclair_grinch1.jpg

They even scrubbed all references to WNWO from their channel guide.

(and this should've been in the Sinclair thread but I think it's OK here too).

• Like 2

I came across this today: Brad Mefferd from Buckeye Cable and Barry Faber from Sinclair talked with Toledo radio station WSPD recently about the retrans situation going on with WNWO right now.

http://www.wspd.com/media/podcast-scott-sands-scottsands/1216-brad-mefferd-of-buckeye-cablesystem-24097241/

LOL at some of the things Faber says, including bringing up the Disney Channel and saying he doesn't know what Mefferd meant when he called WNWO "lowly rated" (which they are).

And Buckeye is taking out ads like this one in co-owned newspaper The Blade:

buckeye_sinclair_grinch1.jpg

They even scrubbed all references to WNWO from their channel guide.

(and this should've been in the Sinclair thread but I think it's OK here too).

And just as I predicted, Sinclair is using WNWO as leverage to force companies like Buckeye to carry the new cable news channel Sinclair is developing in exchange for carrying WNWO at 10 times the previous cost.

Some interesting musings from the TV world:

• Leslie Draffin has left NBC affiliate KTAL and will be joining KOKH as their new morning co-anchor. You'll recall KOKH has been without a morning co-anchor since Wendy Suares was promoted to main anchor.
  • KTBS got those tired WISH GO graphics, but a red and white variation of them: newgfx.jpg
  • Judy Waggoner is now main co-anchor with Heather Williams at KTVE in Monroe, LA. Rudy Williams the previous anchor left.
  • Carly Flynn Morgan is leaving Fox61 in Chatanooga to become the new morning anchor at KTBS in Shreveport. She replaces Chrissi Coile who is leaving to "spend more time with the family".
  • Milwaukee's WDJT has hired Sachelle Saunders to be the new weekend co-anchor and GA reporter. She comes from WTVO in Rockford where she was the morning co-anchor.
  • Jacqueline Crea joins KHOU as a general assignments reporter from KTSM, where she was an MMJ.
  • WSVN lost their foreclosure lawsuit they filed against property developer Scott Greenwald, and his company Isle of Dreams LLC, for the piece of land right next door that housed former sister radio station WIOD. They are on the same parcel of land which is mostly a parking lot. WSVN staffers had been using that lot but can no longer. They now have to park across the street as there are only 90 parking spots on WSVN's land. WSVN is only allowing females and on-air talent to park on premises. Since the entrance to WSVN is on his land, they evicted the security guard and are going to demolish the guardhouse.
  • Remember that anchor who tweeted to WPEC anchor John Discepolo: "Someone is hiding in your house waiting to kill you … find out where … tonight at 11." in response to a tease the anchor tweeted out. Discepolo decided to file charges. Well those have been dropped fortunately.
  • Jenna Kooi who anchors the 7 and 11pm newscasts at WRTV has decided to call it quits, not returning after being on maternity leave. No replacement has been named yet.
  • And finally (FTVLIVE):

WCPO in Cincinnati ran this story on their newscast a week ago:
    [yt]hmvQ8XMe0Pg[/yt]

WCPO%20KENDALL%20MUG_1387920874381_1701845_ver1.0_640_480.jpg?format=500w
    What the station did not point out in the story was that their Reporter Kendall Herold was involved in the crash and was arrested for DUI.
    This week, WCPO finally got around to posting the story of her arrest on the station's website. Supposedly, they only posted it after Newsblues contacted the station seeking comment.

The station wrote: WCPO Reporter Kendall Herold has been arrested for DUI. The arrest occurred Wednesday night in Covington.

According to police her alcohol level was .08. Kendall Herold was released from jail Thursday morning.
    Since her arrest, viewers have been posting messages of encouragement across social media ( :bang: :bang: :bang: ):

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-26%20at%208.59.17%20AM.png?format=750w

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-26%20at%208.58.55%20AM.png?format=750w

Herold has reached out to viewers on social media as well.

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-26%20at%209.00.13%20AM.png?format=500w

The station is refusing to comment more on her arrest or on her future at WCPO. Kendall must be real popular there or something to still have a job. You can accidentally drop the f-bomb on TV and lose your job, but if you drive drunk and get into a wreck you still have one? :confused: A quick check of their site shows that her bio is still up.
    This is what I (myself, not the website I got this from) think about WCPO and their credibility:
    kloy.png

• Leslie Draffin has left NBC affiliate KTAL and will be joining KOKH as their new morning co-anchor. You'll recall KOKH has been without a morning co-anchor since Wendy Suares was promoted to main anchor.
  • KTBS got those tired WISH GO graphics, but a red and white variation of them: newgfx.jpg
  • Judy Waggoner is now main co-anchor with Heather Williams at KTVE in Monroe, LA. Rudy Williams the previous anchor left.
  • Carly Flynn Morgan is leaving Fox61 in Chatanooga to become the new morning anchor at KTBS in Shreveport. She replaces Chrissi Coile who is leaving to "spend more time with the family".
  • Milwaukee's WDJT has hired Sachelle Saunders to be the new weekend co-anchor and GA reporter. She comes from WTVO in Rockford where she was the morning co-anchor.
  • Jacqueline Crea joins KHOU as a general assignments reporter from KTSM, where she was an MMJ.
  • WSVN lost their foreclosure lawsuit they filed against property developer Scott Greenwald, and his company Isle of Dreams LLC, for the piece of land right next door that housed former sister radio station WIOD. They are on the same parcel of land which is mostly a parking lot. WSVN staffers had been using that lot but can no longer. They now have to park across the street as there are only 90 parking spots on WSVN's land. WSVN is only allowing females and on-air talent to park on premises. Since the entrance to WSVN is on his land, they evicted the security guard and are going to demolish the guardhouse.
  • Remember that anchor who tweeted to WPEC anchor John Discepolo: "Someone is hiding in your house waiting to kill you … find out where … tonight at 11." in response to a tease the anchor tweeted out. Discepolo decided to file charges. Well those have been dropped fortunately.
  • Jenna Kooi who anchors the 7 and 11pm newscasts at WRTV has decided to call it quits, not returning after being on maternity leave. No replacement has been named yet.
  • And finally (FTVLIVE):

[yt]hmvQ8XMe0Pg[/yt]

What the station did not point out in the story was that their Reporter Kendall Herold was involved in the crash and was arrested for DUI.
    This week, WCPO finally got around to posting the story of her arrest on the station's website. Supposedly, they only posted it after Newsblues contacted the station seeking comment.

The station wrote: WCPO Reporter Kendall Herold has been arrested for DUI. The arrest occurred Wednesday night in Covington.

According to police her alcohol level was .08. Kendall Herold was released from jail Thursday morning.
    Since her arrest, viewers have been posting messages of encouragement across social media ( :bang: :bang: :bang: ):

The station is refusing to comment more on her arrest or on her future at WCPO. Kendall must be real popular there or something to still have a job. You can accidentally drop the f-bomb on TV and lose your job, but if you drive drunk and get into a wreck you still have one? :confused: A quick check of their site shows that her bio is still up.
    This is what I (myself, not the website I got this from) think about WCPO and their credibility:
    kloy.png

Hey, look! WAVY's graphics show WCPO's credibility.

• And finally (FTVLIVE):
  • WCPO in Cincinnati ran this story on their newscast a week ago:
    [yt]hmvQ8XMe0Pg[/yt]

kloy.png

Quoting a Seth Meyers-Amy Poehler Weekend Update segment: Really?!

If one of your own stations' reporters gets arrested, you'd better report it. Transparency in reporting is key in the news biz, viewers aren't blithering idiots and shouldn't be treated as such. This seems to have happened quite a bit the last couple years with anchors/reporters/weatherpeople ending up on the wrong side of the law, anything from DUI to being accused as a child predator.

On a compleletly separate note: to illustrate sanewsguy's note about Leslie Draffin joining KOKH, the station has been without a morning co-anchor for Bill Young (who rejoined the station not too long ago himself after a short stint as a reporter during the pre-News Central era) since August. That's FIVE MONTHS without a "permanent" anchor.

[snip]

• And finally (FTVLIVE):

[yt]hmvQ8XMe0Pg[/yt]

kloy.png

A few thoughts.

1. Did they actually know that the accident involved one of their reporters when they first reported it? I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't immediately known. But, why they waited a week to update their story is a bit puzzling.

2. It's pretty standard practice not to comment on personal matters. That applies in pretty much any industry. And, just because you are in the public eye doesn't give your employer free license to air out your personal file.

3. Not sure on the local laws. But, I'd be willing to bet the reason she hasn't been terminated is oddly enough because alcohol was involved. If she entered a chemical dependency program it would make it more difficult to terminate her. Her position would be protected under FMLA (or local versions of.) For example, I could show up completely drunk off my ass to my place of employment and not immediately be terminated. I would promptly be sent for drug and alcohol testing. When the results come back my employer would be required to inform me of my right to enter a chemical dependency program (at my cost.) My position would be held under FMLA while seeking treatment. And, upon completion I would be returned to my previous position. So, when drugs/alcohol enter the picture it's not as cut and dry as one might think there are lots of other legalities. Therefore, the comparison to using profanity on air really isn't a fair one.

PS - I'm by no means endorsing drunken driving. In fact I generally believe our laws and attitudes towards it in this country are far too lax. I was attempting to point out that slamming WCPO for not commenting further or immediately terminating her isn't really fair as their hands are most likely tied.

Did anyone see this? Most fascinating to me.

http://www.24saltlake.com/media/kutv-reporter-passes-out-live-television/

I wanna know two things:

1) What exactly causes her to faint in high altitudes and very cold temperatures

2) Why they didn't cut away from the live shot the moment they realized she was staying on the ground and the guy was beginning to undo her skiis because it could have been serious.

She handled it well though, trying to recover from it and continuing the interview.

I wanna know two things:

1) What exactly causes her to faint in high altitudes and very cold temperatures

2) Why they didn't cut away from the live shot the moment they realized she was staying on the ground and the guy was beginning to undo her skiis because it could have been serious.

She handled it well though, trying to recover from it and continuing the interview.

The director should have returned to the studio.

At high altitude, there is less oxygen, but being in Salt Lake City, that woman should be used to the mountains, I would think. She may have forgotten to bend her knees. When I was in marching band, the drum majors always told us not to lock our knees for long periods of time, or we would pass out.

With Rhiannon soon to be going out on maternity leave (She's due end of January) WFOR should redo their promo for Walter and do something along the lines of "Catch Walter Makaula with Summer Knowles on CBS 4 News this morning beginning January 20th." Yes Rhiannon is the main morning anchor, but I'm guessing she'll be gone before Walter even makes his on air debut.

Joel Nichols has left KMBC as their morning meteorologist. He's been at the station since 1988. The station says that it was his choice. That's two relatively big losses for KMBC this year, with the first one being Larry Moore. There are also rumors* circulating that KMBC has also shown meteorologist Lisa Teachman the door. If true, that's the ousting of two meteorologists at once.

*the source of this rumor isn't necessarily the most reliable place, but no one has come out and flatly denied it.

• Like 1

I wanna know two things:

Thankfully it wasn't serious. I watch this reporter frequently with her identical twin sister who work at the same station. Both are great personalities and I could see them at the network level one day. If you read the blog post you could definitely see her bubbly side coming out. Good now she knows it's not serious she is laughing it off.

Also "24 Salt Lake" is dumb. She basically had her comment in that blog post they link to yet they bother her anyway for another comment. I'm guessing she never wrote/called them back. Good on her.

The director should have returned to the studio.

At high altitude, there is less oxygen, but being in Salt Lake City, that woman should be used to the mountains, I would think. She may have forgotten to bend her knees. When I was in marching band, the drum majors always told us not to lock our knees for long periods of time, or we would pass out.

It's a low-rated weekend morning show. Maybe the producer knew the Graham sisters have this problem and so he/she told the director not to switch back. If I was producing the show, I wouldn't have necessarily cut back until I could tell for sure it was going to be serious. I may have done a double box with the anchor on the other side questioning the incident.

With Rhiannon soon to be going out on maternity leave (She's due end of January) WFOR should redo their promo for Walter and do something along the lines of "Catch Walter Makaula with Summer Knowles on CBS 4 News this morning beginning January 20th." Yes Rhiannon is the main morning anchor, but I'm guessing she'll be gone before Walter even makes his on air debut.

Now I'm guessing you usually don't read this thread because I've speculated on this (and Rhiannon's future; it's pretty obvious they want her as main anchor) on at least two occasions here.

KRON's GM Brian Grief is stepping down, citing health reasons.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/73011

GREAT news! While I wish him the best in recovering, it's time for some fresh blood there to run the station, and someone with enough audacity to fire Pero/Baier. They better not promote Pero to GM. IIRC, Grief used to be the ND before becoming GM.

Joel Nichols has left KMBC as their morning meteorologist. He's been at the station since 1988. The station says that it was his choice. That's two relatively big losses for KMBC this year, with the first one being Larry Moore. There are also rumors* circulating that KMBC has also shown meteorologist Lisa Teachman the door. If true, that's the ousting of two meteorologists at once.

*the source of this rumor isn't necessarily the most reliable place, but no one has come out and flatly denied it.

An update to this: it's all official. Nichols chose to left after management tried to demote him to the weekend "suicide shift" of mornings and evenings and Teachman simply didn't have her contract renewed. They've hired a pair of "young meteorologists" that will both start later this year. What doesn't make sense though is the sudden speculation that he'll jump ship to KSHB, (where his former KMBC news director Brian Bracco is GM), especially since KSHB now has five meteorologists. They have no need for six.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/popular-kmbc-weather-guy-joel-nichols-departs/

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic