Out & About

TexasTVNews

55 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Whether it's Saint Patrick's Day, New Year's Eve, or a championship sporting event, reporters hate these live shots.

https://twitter.com/WWLTV/status/1203495337673056256

For the sake of himself and anyone who was on the road that night, let's hope someone else drove him home last night. 

• Like 1

epWtDwn.png

Hartford, CT... Southern New England... WFSB-TV... and Channel 3 Eyewitness News will never be the same without Denise D'Ascenzo.

Thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to her family and to Denise's extended family at Channel 3 Eyewitness News. Denise contributions and dedication throughout

the Hardford and Southern New England area were prospectively and respectfully great. And I know many of her fans and loyal viewers are sad, heartbroken and devastated

of her unexpected death... she'll emotionally will be missed.

Rest in Peace, Denise... God bless you, and Godspeed.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Clearly Deadline forgot a lot, such as her husband of 33 years (which was why she left WJW for WFSB) and their college age daughter.

https://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc-br-wfsb-denise-dascenzo-dies-20191208-2lu3tjuqeve5fmt3cw4cjrasq4-story.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

One question I have about her that I haven't found a clear answer to:   What years did she work at WIXT?

By process of elimination, I would guess 1980-82. If she was 61, that would've put a college graduation of 1980 and her arrival at then-WJKW was in 1982.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Thank you

Denise joined TV8 in late 1983 per this story in the PD. Along with some kind words from Virgil Dominic former ND/GM at TV8.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2019/12/former-channel-8-anchor-denise-dascenzo-dies-at-61.html

This was on Scott Sabol fbook fan page.

Posted in 2017.

FB_IMG_1575861553019.jpg

Edited by news89
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WFSB is reporting in a late update Sunday night...

That stuns me because it looks like she didn't have any massive health problems as of recently.

I took the liberty of rewatching her last newscast on Saturday night after the news broke while NewsOn still had it up. She looked fine at that time which makes this even more shocking especially since if there was a family history she sure, as a health reporter, wasn't vocal about it.

6 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

WFSB is reporting in a late update Sunday night...

That stuns me because it looks like she didn't have any massive health problems as of recently.

I took the liberty of rewatching her last newscast on Saturday night after the news broke while NewsOn still had it up. She looked fine at that time which makes this even more shocking especially since if there was a family history she sure, as a health reporter, wasn't vocal about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I'd be very interested to see how Hemmer does in that hour, I do wonder if he'll lead the Special Reports and Breaking News coverage for Fox or will that go to somebody else?

According to other reports, yes, he'll also assume those roles.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

RNN National (owners of WRNN-TV) is acquiring eight NRJ TV stations for $81.2M.

I don't know what RNN is going to do with these stations other than keeping the "Revenue Frontiers" alive. Their parent station (WRNN) run infomercials most of the day.

What was done to WRNN 20 years ago was just wrong. They had a great reputation in the Hudson Valley and the Frenches decided that being a miniscule fish in a tiny pond was better than being a huge fish in a smaller pond. The Hudson Valley is an odd place and if it had the signals it could easily be larger than the other sub-100 NYS markets while not costing NYC its #1 position.

I'm thinking these are a means to park the cash they got from selling the spectrum of WRNN. The elder French is pushing 80, his sons have spent most if not of all of their adult lives inside the family ecosystem, but who knows what economical or regulatory changes could happen. 

Well, hard to believe it's been 25 years since the big network affiliation switch that took place on September 3rd to December 1994.

September 3, 1994...

Cleveland: WJW (CBS to FOX), WOIO (Fox to CBS)

September 12, 1994...

Phoenix: KPHO (Ind to CBS), KSAZ (CBS to Ind)

Kansas City: WDAF (NBC to FOX), KSHB (Fox to NBC)

December 11, 1994....

Detroit: WJBK (CBS to FOX), WKBD (FOX to Ind to UPN), and WGPR now WWJ (Ind to CBS).

Tampa: WTSP (ABC to CBS), WTVT (CBS to FOX) and WFTS (FOX to ABC).

Atlanta: WAGA (CBS to FOX), WATL (FOX to Ind to WB), and WGNX now WGCL (Ind to CBS).

December 15, 1994...

Phoenix: KTVK (ABC to Ind), KSAZ (Ind to FOX), KNXV (Fox to ABC)

I could be wrong on the date in Phoenix's part of the affiliation change.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, tvtime07 said:

The 11pm news also is back it seems, how many times has it returned in last few years 3 or 4 times now?  I'm curious to know what the 4:30 am show is. The more pressing question is where is Aloha Taylor, she's been gone for too long. 

So what is up with the weather situation at KSWB? They have Justina Myers doing the evening weather, and she’s horrible. Aloha only seems to be on during the afternoon. 

On 12/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, TheRob said:

KSHB'S Christa Dubill is leaving at the end of the year.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/41-action-news-anchor-christa-dubill-to-depart-station

She was one of the longer-tenured ones there. It's unfortunate, but I can't help but wonder if she felt pressured to go. She got a somewhat bad look after the Lisa Benson debacle.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, TexasTVNews said:

Well, hard to believe it's been 25 years since the big network affiliation switch that took place on September 3rd to December 1994.

September 3, 1994...

Cleveland: WJW (CBS to FOX), WOIO (Fox to CBS)

September 12, 1994...

Phoenix: KPHO (Ind to CBS), KSAZ (CBS to Ind)

Kansas City: WDAF (NBC to FOX), KSHB (Fox to NBC)

December 11, 1994....

Detroit: WJBK (CBS to FOX), WKBD (FOX to Ind to UPN), and WGPR now WWJ (Ind to CBS).

Tampa: WTSP (ABC to CBS), WTVT (CBS to FOX) and WFTS (FOX to ABC).

Atlanta: WAGA (CBS to FOX), WATL (FOX to Ind to WB), and WGNX now WGCL (Ind to CBS).

December 15, 1994...

Phoenix: KTVK (ABC to Ind), KSAZ (Ind to FOX), KNXV (Fox to ABC)

I could be wrong on the date in Phoenix's part of the affiliation change.

I remember the big affiliation switches of the mid 90s.  Atlanta being my home market, I remember WAGA 5 ending its then 45-year union with CBS when they took Fox away from WATL 36.  CBS got lucky in a sense in going to then WGNX 46 (now WGCL), despite the dilemma of CBS almost having nowhere to go.  Next year will also be 40th anniversary of WSB 2 and WXIA 11 swapping out ABC and NBC.

• Like 1