Out & About

TexasTVNews

13 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Hmm...

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

How tied to Graham is WPLG these days?  BH may be exerting some independence.

Never mind. WPLG has the new look too. Despite being owned by BH, WPLG still acts like a Graham-owned station.

• Like 1

If only more management agreements worked like this.   Then again, Berkshire Hathaway is a well regarded public company with solid and stable investments.  Private equity on the other hand loads up a company with lots of debt and the product suffers to keep costs down and profits (ROI) up.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

27 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If only more management agreements worked like this.   Then again, Berkshire Hathaway is a well regarded public company with solid and stable investments.  Private equity on the other hand loads up a company with lots of debt and the product suffers to keep costs down and profits (ROI) up.

Does BH own any stake in Graham Media, or vice versa? 

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Never mind. WPLG has the new look too. Despite being owned by BH, WPLG still acts like a Graham-owned station.

WPLG has an agreement with Graham so that they are able to continue using Graham's graphics and website.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

If anything, BH has allowed WPLG to open up its very own in-house news bureaus in D.C. and Havana because there's no way Graham would commit to anything like that.

Based on this promo, Local 10 has reporters in Venezuela and Haiti, as well.   

On a side note, it seems like they are using the phrase "Local 10 News is everywhere".  If I recall from earlier in the decade, WTVJ heavily promoted themselves by saying "Team (or NBC) 6 is everywhere".  Not sure if that slogan is just for this promo, though.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

On a side note, it seems like they are using the phrase "Local 10 News is everywhere".  If I recall from earlier in the decade, WTVJ heavily promoted themselves by saying "Team (or NBC) 6 is everywhere".  Not sure if that slogan is just for this promo, though.

I forgot about their Venezuelan bureau too. Wow. And I guess the Haiti one is new to me.

9 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Cuba I get, are there sizable Haitian and Venezuelan populations in Miami?

48 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Cuba I get, are there sizable Haitian and Venezuelan populations in Miami?

Venezuela? Yes, especially in Doral.

Haiti? Yes, especially in Little Haiti.

South Florida is really really diverse as there's sprinkles of everyone in each city.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Venezuela? Yes, especially in Doral.

Haiti? Yes, especially in Little Haiti.

South Florida is really really diverse as there's sprinkles of everyone in each city.

The Venezuelans are basically to now what Cubans were to the 60s and the Haitian community is a bit cemented from their first big diaspora in the 80s.

I wonder if WPLG's Havana bureau might be at risk given the current administration's want to undo everything out of spite. 

Edited by scrabbleship

21 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I bet the dollar to peso conversion rate is so favorable, these bureaus are costing them virtually nothing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

At KNWA, a reporter was jailed for making an audio recording as part of her notetaking in court (such recording wasn't aired).  If I was her, I'd appeal that verdict.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/11/21/judge-gives-reporter-jail-time-for-recording-in-court

I didn't know that just using audio recording for a reporter's note taking is considered to be a Contempt of Court charge.

What's going to be so bad for that reporter is that now she now has a criminal record for that contempt charge which means it's going to be difficult to land a future job anywhere (it's obtainable but now it's going to be difficult)

This is something to look out for when I take my News Reporting course for my Mass Communication degree.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

I didn't know that just using audio recording for a reporter's note taking is considered to be a Contempt of Court charge.

What's going to be so bad for that reporter is that now she now has a criminal record for that contempt charge.

This is something to look out for when I take my News Reporting course for my Mass Communication degree.

I agree, the whole thing seems bizarre to me.  The reporter maintains she did that previously in other courts and nothing was wrong.  I think the judge should've been more understanding of that and left it at a warning.  

I hope she appeals that and maybe gets the ruling vacated by a higher court.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

I agree, the whole thing seems bizarre to me.  The reporter maintains she did that previously in other courts and nothing was wrong.  I think the judge should've been more understanding of that and left it at a warning.  

I hope she appeals that and maybe gets the ruling vacated by a higher court.

Some judges are leaniant on the recorded notetaking other judges not so much and the Benton County Judge apparently has an issue with that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Some judges are leaniant on the recorded notetaking other judges not so much and the Benton County Judge apparently has an issue with that.

The question is what the law says in that particular jurisdiction. Is audio recording treated the same way as video recording and neither is permitted? Or did the judge just go rogue and decide that he has special rules? They reference other stations and in those states or jurisdictions there may not be bans on audio and video recordings. I kind of wonder how the judge figured out she was recording.

If it’s the latter explanation I would imagine your odds of appealing and overturning are better. That sounds quite extreme though. If on the other hand he told her to knock it off and she kept going then she’d get what was coming to her though.

In this case it appears both audio and video are not permitted. I think this is one of those things that depends on the state. Here in Michigan for example both are just fine and we get the whole show. At the federal level neither is allowed if I’m not mistaken and that single handedly keeps sketch artists employed. 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The question is what the law says in that particular jurisdiction. Is audio recording treated the same way as video recording and neither is permitted? Or did the judge just go rogue and decide that he has special rules? They reference other stations and in those states or jurisdictions there may not be bans on audio and video recordings. I kind of wonder how the judge figured out she was recording.

If it’s the latter explanation I would imagine your odds of appealing and overturning are better. That sounds quite extreme though. If on the other hand he told her to knock it off and she kept going then she’d get what was coming to her though.

In this case it appears both audio and video are not permitted. I think this is one of those things that depends on the state. Here in Michigan for example both are just fine and we get the whole show. At the federal level neither is allowed if I’m not mistaken and that single handedly keeps sketch artists employed. 

That would probably depend on the judge in this case because see if this is a Freedom of the Press issue then the Judge in this instance went a bit too far within his powers. 

If the Judge told the Reporter to knock it off more than once and she didn't do then yeah I could see why the Judge would do that.

Whatever the case may be, I would appeal the contempt charge if I were in the reporter's shoes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

That would probably depend on the judge in this case because see if this is a Freedom of the Press issue then the Judge in this instance went a bit too far within his powers. 

If the Judge told the Reporter to knock it off more than once and she didn't do then yeah I could see why the Judge would do that.

Whatever the case may be, I would appeal the contempt charge if I were in the reporter's shoes.

In the town in Arkansas I grew up in (just a few counties over), one of the low-powered TV stations there actually has a program whose sole purpose is televising court proceedings.    They even make that local TV show available on YouTube.   So maybe some counties are more uptight than others.

I feel so bad for the reporter.  Given the market KNWA is in, she's probably early in her career.  I hope everything works out well for her, and I have a feeling that everything will work out well for her.  Maybe she can get that overturned and expunged from her legal record.   She wasn't recording for broadcast--just for notetaking.

I have a very hard time imagining that ever happening in the county in Arkansas I grew up in.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

In the town in Arkansas I grew up in (just a few counties over), one of the low-powered TV stations there actually has a program whose sole purpose is televising court proceedings.    They even make that local TV show available on YouTube.   So maybe some counties are more uptight than others.

I feel so bad for the reporter.  Given the market KNWA is in, she's probably early in her career.  I hope everything works out well for her, and I have a feeling that everything will work out well for her.  Maybe she can get that overturned and expunged from her legal record.   She wasn't recording for broadcast--just for notetaking.

I have a very hard time imagining that ever happening in the county in Arkansas I grew up in.

Boone County is probably more lieniant on those types of cases than what Benton County is.

• Like 1