Out & About

TexasTVNews

WJET/WFXP in Erie has named longtime weekend anchor David Belmondo as their new morning anchor.  He replaces Traci Teudhope who left a few months ago to work at Erie's PBS affiliate, WQLN.

I've noticed that WJET/WFXP seems to have a recruitment issue compared to locally owned WICU/WSEE. WICU/WSEE seems to have no issues recruiting good reporters. I have a feeling they pay a lot better so that might be why. They have not had any anchor changes in a while, however, over the summer they did move one of their morning anchors to the midday news (had a job posting for new morning anchor) only to move her back in the fall. I don't know if they didn't get anyone good, but they also got a new news director over the summer...

1 minute ago, DirtyHarry said:

Rob Braun shilling for a local bank. maybe he can do what his dad did and take over the commercials for the Craftmatic Adjustable Bed.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/10/22/what-rob-braun-doing-heritage-bank-tv-personality-opens-up-new-role-outside-tv-news/2452071001/

Funny you bring that up (and not just because that happens to be my channel )😉

Not sure if this is a downgrade or lateral move for Rob.

• Haha 1

Many of "Cleveland's Own" have jumped on the gravy train of endorsements ever since they left the anchor desk....Tim Taylor, Wilma Smith, Connie Dieken, Jim Mueller and many others....

Some have been around so long they were allowed to endorse things alongside their news duties.  Don Webster shilled for a bunch of things (since he was a weatherman and hosted Upbeat in the 60s) and even Dick Goddard did some car commercials in the Canton area in the 90s that only aired on WOAC-TV when they were a Canton independent station....

In Don & Dick's case, weather people weren't considered "news talent" back in the day, and got away with stuff like that, and so did many others across the country....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

A change is afoot at WBZ: Morning meteorologist Danielle Niles is leaving the station effective tomorrow (10/31) to be a stay-at-home mom. Having two kids in not even a year and a half and being married to someone with the exact same shift (WBTS/NECN's Matt Noyes) helped drive the decision.

My guess: Sarah Wroblewski, formerly of WFXT and a very good friend of Niles, gets the morning slot. She's been at noon for most of 2019 after Niles shaved that shift away after the birth of her second child last year.

https://www.boston.com/news/media/2019/10/29/wbz-meteorologist-danielle-niles-mom

1 hour ago, Sendir said:

Rumors of a round of layoffs at legacy Nexstar stations and the new Tribune stations.

This may or may not be a coincidence, but Bill Martin did announce his retirement from WJW on last night's 5pm news. His last day is November 26th. 

https://fox8.com/2019/10/31/bill-martin-announces-retirement-after-25-years-at-fox-8/

7 hours ago, Sendir said:

Rumors of a round of layoffs at legacy Nexstar stations and the new Tribune stations.

Can confirm. The axe is swinging at KFOR, so far an anchor position has been eliminated along with various administrative positions.

You truly hate to see it.

IMG_0585.jpg

6 minutes ago, Al-SA-TX said:

Can confirm. The axe is swinging at KFOR, so far an anchor position has been eliminated along with various administrative positions.

IMG_0585.jpg

Dang. Why did they eliminate his position? Are they going to replace him? Don't they need an anchor at 4, 5, and 6:30?

47 minutes ago, Al-SA-TX said:

IMG_0585.jpg

Do non-competes go out the window in such a situation? If KWTV or KOCO had an opening, they could hire him?

On 10/31/2019 at 4:02 PM, JCB4TV said:

Regarding the coverage of this story, while KOCO and KOKH directly disclosed that it was Abigail's home that caught fire, KWTV made no reference to it at all on their evening newscasts, only reporting on it during their early-evening newscasts and omitting it from the 10:00 broadcast (it's possible that this might have been an understanding between uncle Kelly Ogle, who anchored the Thursday night newscasts, and station management, given the sensitive nature of the issue for their family).

KFOR initially went as far as saying that the home belonged to "a daughter of Kevin Ogle" (he has two, KWTV reporter Katelyn Ogle being the youngest), but Kent Ogle openly addressed that it was Abigail's home that caught fire in an addendum to a report on that story during the noon newscast (and presumably, the morning newscast) Friday, thanking viewers for their well wishes to the Ogle family. (Kevin took the night off Thursday, with Eli Roberts filling in for him at 6:00, for what apparently was Eli's last KFOR newscast, and Joleen Chaney anchoring solo at 10:00.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes

49 minutes ago, edladd said:

I noticed Abby Broyles was not listed on the KFOR site. Has she been gone a while or is this new?

She is a lawyer now but I think does the news on the side

Edited by ScottSchell
Added two of the same answer

15 hours ago, tjt24 said:

This may or may not be a coincidence, but Bill Martin did announce his retirement from WJW on last night's 5pm news. His last day is November 26th. 

https://fox8.com/2019/10/31/bill-martin-announces-retirement-after-25-years-at-fox-8/

It's hard to believe that it's been over twenty-five years since Bill Martin worked at WPXI Channel 11 Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jbnews said:

Dang. Why did they eliminate his position? Are they going to replace him? Don't they need an anchor at 4, 5, and 6:30?

More than likely it'd be Kevin Ogle doing the 4 and 5pm newscast. Most likely what Nexstar is doing is they're consolidating the seperate newscasts with seperate anchors into one newscast with one anchor team each now I don't know what that means for the future of anchors like Heather Holeman most likely she could just slide over to the 4pm side with Kevin and let Kevin/Joleen anchor all other newscasts except for 9pm on KAUT (unless Kate Smith gets the axe too).

All I can say is that changes are coming to 444 East Britton Road and this could either be a good thing or it could very much be an epic disaster and before anybody asks about ratings I can't comment about them because no one in the OKC area does local station ratings anymore and the most recent relevant data I can find dates back to 2001 (that's 18 years ago)

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

More than likely it'd be Kevin Ogle doing the 4 and 5pm newscast. Most likely what Nexstar is doing is they're consolidating the seperate newscasts with seperate anchors into one newscast with one anchor team each now I don't know what that means for the future of anchors like Heather Holeman most likely she could just slide over to the 4pm side with Kevin and let Kevin/Joleen anchor all other newscasts except for 9pm on KAUT (unless Kate Smith gets the axe too).

All I can say is that changes are coming to 444 East Britton Road and this could either be a good thing or it could very much be an epic disaster and before anybody asks about ratings I can't comment about them because no one in the OKC area does local station ratings anymore and the most recent relevant data I can find dates back to 2001 (that's 18 years ago)

Sadly, I'm forecasting a bloodbath at KFOR as several of their personalities, Kevin Ogle & Mike Morgan, have been there for nearly the entire KFOR era and have survived all previous owners, Palmer > NYT > Local TV > Tribune. I see Nexstar making KFOR/KAUT younger and cheaper. As for poor Eli, he took over for Lance West after the latter's forced resignation, thus, it was West's old position that was eliminated. Moreover, Scott Hines depated just before the sake was completed.

Current KFOR Personalities Who've Have More then 10 Years Tenure

Tara Blume - 1991

Brian Brinkley - 1990

Joleen Chaney - 2007

Galen Culver - 1991

Ali Meyer - 2000

Mike Morgan - 1993

Kent & Kevin Ogle - 1993

Other Questions:

Does Nexstar keep Chopper 4?

Does Nexstar allow KFOR to staff 5 Meteorologist?

On 11/2/2019 at 6:36 PM, JCB4TV said:

Sadly, I'm forecasting a bloodbath at KFOR as several of their personalities, Kevin Ogle & Mike Morgan, have been there for nearly the entire KFOR era and have survived all previous owners, Palmer > NYT > Local TV > Tribune. I see Nexstar making KFOR/KAUT younger and cheaper. As for poor Eli, he took over for Lance West after the latter's forced resignation, thus, it was West's old position that was eliminated. Moreover, Scott Hines depated just before the sake was completed.

Current KFOR Personalities Who've Have More then 10 Years Tenure

Tara Blume - 1991

Brian Brinkley - 1990

Joleen Chaney - 2007

Galen Culver - 1991

Ali Meyer - 2000

Mike Morgan - 1993

Kent & Kevin Ogle - 1993

Other Questions:

Does Nexstar keep Chopper 4?

Does Nexstar allow KFOR to staff 5 Meteorologist?

Looking at how WFLA, WAVY and WOOD have done since the Nexstar era, I think Nexstar will allow KFOR to keep Air Comfort Solutions Chopper 4 and also Nexstar might eliminate Sarah Libby's position as a freelance meteorologist.

Beyond that the only changes I envision are anchor lineups and merging of newscasts (i.e. 4:30pm newscast merging into the 4pm hour and the 6:30pm newscast merging into the 6pm newscast)

On the latter since as you said Nexstar eliminated what was Lance West's old position most likely I see Kevin and Joleen adding another 30 minutes to their anchoring duties. Also don't forget about Heather Holeman too if you don't include that period from 2007-15 where she was a stay-at-home mother she's been with Oklahoma's News Channel 4 since 2000 as well.

Things are about to get interesting at 444 East Britton Road that's for sure