Out & About

TexasTVNews

KGO beat Rich Lieberman to the punch announcing Phil Matier joins the ABC 7 team. 

Phil comes from around the block and the corner at KPIX where he reports, also does morning radio downstairs at KCBS-AM and posts on SF Chronicle.

https://abc7news.com/society/political-insider-phil-matier-joins-abc7/5623909/

Edited by SFTV

On 10/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, TheRob said:

We had a whimsical marble cake to celebrate.

73528633_1376856269133399_7296947954693177344_n.jpg

Congrats, wow your cake does cover a few bases (and I guess there's a pun in there somewhere 😉), but I'm sorry, what am I missing with the badminton shuttlecock?

1 hour ago, east-tx-tv said:

Congrats, wow your cake does cover a few bases (and I guess there's a pun in there somewhere 😉), but I'm sorry, what am I missing with the badminton shuttlecock?

Our big art museum has giant birdies on the front lawn.

image.png.3b0789a86a9e693ad800a5552e61e2fd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/18/2019 at 12:26 PM, TheRob said:

Our big art museum has giant birdies on the front lawn.

image.png.3b0789a86a9e693ad800a5552e61e2fd.png

Here at the KBEX-TV Museum of News History ..we have an active display of vintage "Lawn Darts".

image.png.f305a31e3755c5890986b4290efdab89.png

Wayyyyyyy more fun!

image.png.d1d8232373a641048278e63217976076.png

But one day the adults ruined it...

image.png.b1b4b39627eac8d8276269d3c6572f8d.png

I miss lawn darts.

Edited by Eat News
Twice-Fake and True .. https://youtu.be/zQELp93xxfo
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

We got severe weather in DFW and KDFW, KXAS & KTVT working overtime because of the severe weather coverage. WFAA finished their coverage and Delkus was a no show.

I was watching WFAA's stream here at work, then they abruptly wrapped. It was very weird. 

KXAS, the NBC O&O for DFW, has issued a rare public apology for delays in breaking into last night’s Cowboys game to report on multiple tornadoes in its coverage area. Will be interesting to see if this does any long-term damage, ratings-wise, to the station. My guess is no. Certainly not a good look for them, though, at least in the short term. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/NBC-5-Dallas-Fort-WorthKXAS-Statement-Regarding-Sunday-Oct-20-2019-Weather-Coverage-563578861.html

19 minutes ago, Greggo said:

KXAS, the NBC O&O for DFW, has issued a rare public apology for delays in breaking into last night’s Cowboys game to report on multiple tornadoes in its coverage area. Will be interesting to see if this does any long-term damage, ratings-wise, to the station. My guess is no. Certainly not a good look for them, though, at least in the short term. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/NBC-5-Dallas-Fort-WorthKXAS-Statement-Regarding-Sunday-Oct-20-2019-Weather-Coverage-563578861.html

The tornado happened during the 4th quarter, the game was not in doubt, KXAS could've cut away and referred unaffected viewers to the NBC Sports, NFL, or Yahoo! apps.

West Coast News: CBS Sacramento reporter Angel Cardenas just got himself on a NO-HIRE-LIST.  FIRED from the CBS O&O for doing a lousy stunt at the Sacramento Auto Show. The segment was for Good Day Sacramento.  Auto show producer called KMAX/KOVR GM and the reporter is now immediately removed from the station.

Sure enough today his profile has been removed from the station's website.. https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/station/cbs13-cw31/

Initial post reported by FTV: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/10/22/cbs-oampo-fired-after-live-shot

15 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

The tornado happened during the 4th quarter, the game was not in doubt, KXAS could've cut away and referred unaffected viewers to the NBC Sports, NFL, or Yahoo! apps.

The problem was you are in the toughest position; they probably thought taking social media heat and putting out a quick apology likely worked better in the end than a number of entitled Cowboys fans making death threats and calling for KXAS's license to be revoked because they dared to move the game to 5.2. Sadly, you know any calls for Ajit to make an example of them will fall on completely deaf ears.

2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

West Coast News: CBS Sacramento reporter Angel Cardenas just got himself on a NO-HIRE-LIST.  FIRED from the CBS O&O for doing a lousy stunt at the Sacramento Auto Show. The segment was for Good Day Sacramento.  Auto show producer called KMAX/KOVR GM and the reporter is now immediately removed from the station.

Sure enough today his profile has been removed from the station's website.. https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/station/cbs13-cw31/

Initial post reported by FTV: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/10/22/cbs-oampo-fired-after-live-shot

Those cars are prized possessions. Firing him was definitely the right move.

Side note: Surprised GDS hasn't updated their graphics to bring it closer to the current CBS O&O pack. 

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Those cars are prized possessions. Firing him was definitely the right move.

Side note: Surprised GDS hasn't updated their graphics to bring it closer to the current CBS O&O pack. 

Absolutely, I agree on the firing part and yes GDS needs to update graphics ASAP to be along with the rest of the O&O's...

When is the next graphics update for all CBS O&O's- 2020, 2021 or 2022?

12 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

That was just pure disrespect on the reporter's front. Glad he is gone.

As an aside, has CBS ever considered airing Good Day Sacramento on both KMAX AND KOVR?

On 10/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, Greggo said:

KXAS should be very fortunate there were no deaths.  I'm sure if there were quite a number injured/killed there might be a different opinion towards them.  I was surprised, before I went to work that night, that it was just the game and a little corner graphic, no cut ins while I had it on.  Meanwhile, KDFW showed a red-by-green possible tornado signature on their radar.  If the late/great Harold Taft were still around, there would have been more than a small corner graphic on KXAS.

Edited by east-tx-tv
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

KXAS should be very fortunate there were no deaths.  I'm sure if there were quite a number injured/killed there might be a different opinion towards them.  I was surprised, before I went to work that night, that it was just the game and a little corner graphic, no cut ins while I had it on.  Meanwhile, KDFW showed a red-by-green possible tornado signature on their radar.  If the late/great Harold Taft were still around, there would have been more than a small corner graphic on KXAS.

They did cut in a few times during the game, but not very often after that.

As I've said on Discord, severe weather events during live sporting events is a lose-lose for stations.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 1:55 AM, TexasTVNews said:

We got severe weather in DFW and KDFW, KXAS & KTVT working overtime because of the severe weather coverage. WFAA finished their coverage and Delkus was a no show.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:30 AM, who?cares said:

I was watching WFAA's stream here at work, then they abruptly wrapped. It was very weird. 

Since I've moved to DFW, I've noticed that WFAA's breaking news coverage is underwhelming at best. KDFW is this town's news leader without a doubt, and KTVT has very solid coverage as well. Just a little weird at how bad WFAA is compared to how strong I've always heard the station was.

Also I wonder would KXAS would have cut away from the game if it had been anyone other than Dallas playing a division rival? I'd like to hope that that's the only reason they stuck with the game despite it being a negligent decision.

18 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Absolutely, I agree on the firing part and yes GDS needs to update graphics ASAP to be along with the rest of the O&O's...

When is the next graphics update for all CBS O&O's- 2020, 2021 or 2022?

Good Day Sacramento uses graphics that don't look like the O&O package on purpose. They don't want it to look like the news graphics because it's not really a news broadcast. It's a morning show with news.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Good Day Sacramento uses graphics that don't look like the O&O package on purpose. They don't want it to look like the news graphics because it's not really a news broadcast. It's a morning show with news.

That is a copy! Appreciate the clarification..

Are the CBS O&O's getting a new graphics package within the next year or two? I believe last update was in 2016.