Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 10/3/2019 at 1:33 AM, DirtyHarry said:

Not fair. If you can't sell ads, you can't keep the place running. They can't sell classifieds because of Craig's List, department and appliance stores no longer can advertise in papers, car dealers use mostly digital platforms these days. Most of their profitable clients are gone. Without advertising money, you can't have as much staff. What they are trying to do makes sense in the current environment.

About the only reliable source of income newspapers have these days is public notices. Here in Maine there was a push to eliminate public notice advertising in newspapers, as newspaper circulation has fallen precipitously and government entities can publish public notices for free on their official websites or on Facebook or Twitter, but the newspaper lobby managed to nix that idea.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Conrad said:

When did Advance/Newhouse started to decline?

2012 and 2013, when they ended daily production of many of their newspapers for a digital-first revamp.  Alabama was really hard hit since it was essentially a merger of all their newspapers in Huntsville, Birmingham and Mobile.  The ensuing job cuts resulted in an organization that decimated news coverage across all 3 papers.   Even in New Orleans where these moves spawned a daily New Orleans edition of the Baton Rouge Advocate that later bought out and merged what was left of the Times-Picayune.

Today was Brigida Mack's last day at WBTV...she is leaving the station after 10 years. Her reporting work, involvment in the community, as well as launching their 4pm newscast and (now-defunct) 8pm newscast on their .2 (Bounce TV) were really some key reasons why WBTV has overtaken WSOC for No. 1 in the ratings.

Edited by swillh2k2
  • Like 1

“There’s a lot of choices to get information now and very few involves watching a television. Yet you’ve stuck with us, and keep watching us, and we’re so thankful for that. I’m so thankful for that.” Well said Mr. Deanno. 

8 hours ago, rkolsen said:

WTVJ’s Dan Krauth signed off recently and is heading way up I-95 to WABC-TV. I know a few of TVJ’s producers have done stints and WABC but a few returned “home”. 

Dan was a great reporter down here. Glad he is going to target bigger fish in NYC. Also I really miss Paul deanno when he was at wtvj.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bhratbrat said:

Dan was a great reporter down here. Glad he is going to target bigger fish in NYC. Also I really miss Paul deanno when he was at wtvj.

In addition to losing Dan, Darryl Forges is also moving on up to a bigger market. He is going to Atlanta but no word yet on which station he is joining.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

If not, THE most-watched FOX affiliate in the country. I think WSVN regularly pulls in 300,000+ viewers for their news at 10pm (I saw that number years ago but not sure of 2019 numbers tho).

I guess for now, the CW is stuck with WSFL, even if CBS decides to do something with CW on WBFS or something....

As the revolving door turns.... the DFW market loses yet another, as KXAS reporter Tim Ciesco decides to leave the building.  He's accepted a media position with the police department in Arlington, not too many miles from the KXAS studio/office complex.

16 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Why not?

That is not true.  Department stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Best Buy, PC Richard and Son, and others  continue to advertise in my local paper.  Not as much as they used to.  

2 hours ago, NowBergen said:

That is not true.  Department stores like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdales, Best Buy, PC Richard and Son, and others  continue to advertise in my local paper.  Not as much as they used to.  

I don't think they can afford it anymore. Lazarus used to always keep their stores up to date. Now walk into one of the older Macy's stores. Around here they are nice, but in some other cities, ugh! Not to mention that Lazarus used to have 12 stores around Columbus and Central Ohio. Now there are only three full line Macy's stores, and one of them is in a mall that is down to only two anchors. When you have 12 stores, you can justify an expensive newspaper ad. Harder to justify with three stores.

Same thing in Indianapolis where they had four Lazarus stores, four or five Blocks stores and I think five or six LS Ayres stores. Federated eventually bought everything up and now there are only two Macy's stores in Indianapolis. Everything else they got rid of. From 20 buildings down to two.

Same with grocery stores. Grabbing the Wednesday newspaper so you could see what was on sale at the various grocery chains used to be a big deal. Go look up an old newspaper on newspapers.com and you'll see grocery store ads right and left.

I rarely see one of our most successful car dealer chains in the newspaper or on TV or radio anymore. Most of their marketing is digital. And since they are one of the biggest in town, I'm guessing it works.

The other day I was in Kroger. I walked by a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich in the freezer. That's not the kind of stuff I buy, but it aroused my curiosity so I did a double-take to check the price. Apparently their algorithms are able to pinpoint your behavior right to doing a double-take at the freezer case because I was bombarded with Jimmy Dean ads for about two days afterwards. 

These days advertising isn't paying for news reporters. They seem to be paying people to program these algorithms.

*** Actually, now that I think about it, there is the old Lazarus furniture gallery at Eastland that they are using as a furniture outlet store. Oh my God that place is awful.

Edited by DirtyHarry

Pretty much the benefit of newspaper ads (the percent off coupon) that was a staple of department store ads is online or mobile.  

TV wise, these ads went from local, to regional, and national.  Stores like Belk and other smaller chains just went to the local TV station when they were having a "moonlight madness sale" and they were locally produced ads.  Even Sears and JCPenney marketed down to the local level like this, alongside their national ad campaigns.

As the stores began merging, so did their advertising, and it became more image-like instead of the one-offs for an event or two....

Nowadays, it's on the high regional level.  Macy's is all national ads (even in places that don't have them)  

• Like 1

Apparently KSWB now has a half hour 7pm show. Also, I noticed at 4am there's a show called Fox 5 Behind the Scenes, on right before the 4:30am news... Not sure what that is. Has anyone else seen it?

Screenshot_20191008-182206.png

Screenshot_20191008-182631.png

Screenshot_20191008-183508.png

Edited by Bsean
Additional info
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Pretty much the benefit of newspaper ads (the percent off coupon) that was a staple of department store ads is online or mobile.  

TV wise, these ads went from local, to regional, and national.  Stores like Belk and other smaller chains just went to the local TV station when they were having a "moonlight madness sale" and they were locally produced ads.  Even Sears and JCPenney marketed down to the local level like this, alongside their national ad campaigns.

As the stores began merging, so did their advertising, and it became more image-like instead of the one-offs for an event or two....

Nowadays, it's on the high regional level.  Macy's is all national ads (even in places that don't have them)  

Back when I was a kid, Sears ran a commercial every night where a local TV guy would start up a Sears lawn mower live to prove that it would start up the first time every time. I think they ran the same commercial in other markets using local personalities in those markets. Sears obviously had National advertising, but they also saw the value in having some local faces shilling for Sears.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 10:13 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

In Montgomery, Alabama, the mayor's office is up for grabs after the longtime mayor decided not to run for re-election.   They just had a runoff, and one of the finalists is David Woods, owner of WCOV Fox 20. He is the son of Charles Woods, who also dabbled in politics and owned WTVY in Dothan until 2000.

Being a station owner, that frees him from the conflict of interest that many companies have when someone runs for office, but if he wins, the station may have to be put in a trust or sold.  At least they contract their news out to Bahakel's WAKA/WNCF so that's out of the way (they disclose this in their coverage)

Update...the runoff was yesterday, and Woods lost in a 2 to 1 landslide to Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed, making him Montgomery's first African-American mayor.

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Update...the runoff was yesterday, and Woods lost in a 2 to 1 landslide to Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed, making him Montgomery's first African-American mayor

The last mayor here was our first black mayor so my first instinct is to say "there goes the neighborhood." (Joke.) But our mayor was a good guy and completely down the middle. If this guy approaches his job like a moderate, he will be very popular.