Out & About

TexasTVNews

I was watching KOSA during the shooting coverage today, and the anchors left the set twice because of armed officers running through the shopping mall where they have a studio. Now the anchors are in the parking lot, losing their mics periodically, with an empty set on screen.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, Info Junkie said:

WNYT’s been phasing in Steve Stone for their promos, specifically for TV advertisements. Don’t have any footage of it currently.

Makes you wonder if Ed Hopkins is retiring or if he just passed away. He is still doing promos for the news and the opens, of course.

I noticed this today too in a promo for the sports team and a proof of performance promo. His voice sounds so fresh and new. 

On 8/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, nbc4ne said:

I’ve never been to the Hampton Roads, but I remember reading two years ago about Crystal Harper and her battle with cancer. I must say how proud I am of her for surviving, and her departure is sad because I feel she really captured the hearts of the Hampton Roads. Good Luck with her future endeavors.

Craig's return had nothing to do with her departure. The opportunity he "couldn't pass up" upon return, outside of joining the weather center was being named Director of Audience Engagement for the station. 

image.png.dc795d7dc5b03af3f148fca3846ce08e.png

Instead, Crystal has taken a job with Booz-Allen-Hamilton in PR, an frequent target of media personalities who want a change in scenery (plus, she's military so that probably helped too.)

On 8/28/2019 at 6:28 PM, newsguy22 said:

In New Orleans for a few days, watching WWL.  Not sure when they did this, but they have slightly amended the name of the newscasts. It’s now “The Eyewitness News at (time).” It was Channel 4 Eyewitness News for decades. The just Eyewitness News for the past few years. They added a “THE”. 

Also, they’ve brought back an announcer for the actual newscast intros.  I don’t believe they’ve had one since they switched to the new TEGNA look.  It makes a big difference. I like it.   

Someone there must be an Ohio State fan.....

Or just another way to show how "THE" mighty have fallen!🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, Info Junkie said:

WNYT’s been phasing in Steve Stone for their promos, specifically for TV advertisements. Don’t have any footage of it currently.

Makes you wonder if Ed Hopkins is retiring or if he just passed away. He is still doing promos for the news and the opens, of course.

When I was working in radio Ed Hopkins was our voice guy. That was back in the '80s...

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC/3 is "reassembling" on September 23.  They're teasing on-air changes leading up to that date.

Okay.  Details please! Lol. What on-air changes are they promoting, what all was seen in the promo, etc. I can't find anything online.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Even before that, they weren't exactly like WAGA when it was a CBS station. 

I mean both stations were apple & oranges back when WAGA was CBS.   Despite the numerous ownerships WAGA was solid. It slipped to third a few times, but was able to rebound.

WGNX was an Indy outlet that just got a news department 30 years ago late 88/89, and WGNX got the CBS affiliate at the 11th hour, and as time went on. Tribune was only interested in being independent.  When

WGNO & WGNX started to get a network affiliation.  They didn't do too much investment, but WGNX was solid.  As for Meredith, they bought the station with hopes of making it something big.  However, when numerous

management styles, name branding etc.  It just hasn't done much for WGCL.  Meredith should return the WGNX call letters back to them and sell the station, and start all over like WIAT in Birmingham did in late 90s.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jbnews said:

Okay.  Details please! Lol. What on-air changes are they promoting, what all was seen in the promo, etc. I can't find anything online.

Just simply that and "it's time for change."  That's all they're teasing.  Plus, one promo had their current logo go through a shredder.  It's all supposed to hit on-air on September 23, though the station is likely being coy.

29 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

I mean both stations were apple & oranges back when WAGA was CBS.   Despite the numerous ownerships WAGA was solid. It slipped to third a few times, but was able to rebound.

WGNX was an Indy outlet that just got a news department 30 years ago late 88/89, and WGNX got the CBS affiliate at the 11th hour, and as time went on. Tribune was only interested in being independent.  When

WGNO & WGNX started to get a network affiliation.  They didn't do too much investment, but WGNX was solid.  As for Meredith, they bought the station with hopes of making it something big.  However, when numerous

management styles, name branding etc.  It just hasn't done much for WGCL.  Meredith should return the WGNX call letters back to them and sell the station, and start all over like WIAT in Birmingham did in late 90s.

I'd agree that WGCL 46, back during their WGNX days was very good, especially during the "Georgia's News at Ten" era.  That ended when WAGA 5 took Fox away from WATL 36, upon ending its then 45-year union with CBS.  Had CBS went to WUPA 69 (when it was still WVEU), it'd probably be another WWJ.  We don't know what WATL would've looked like had they affiliated with CBS.  WGCL having news department benefitted CBS greatly.

Since Meredith acquired WGCL from Tribune, I'd agree with back-and-forth name changes between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta, outside the infamous failed "Clear News" concept, as well as management and anchor turnovers, hence the "revolving door" status.  WGCL's ratings may not be the best, despite many opportunities recently to jump into 3rd place, and push WXIA 11 into last place.  At the same time, WGCL is profitable (making tons of money).  My guess would be as good as anyone elses... "status quo".

I couldn't see Meredith doing a WIAT on WGCL, as "Daily News" concept would likely fail.  Not sure whether WGCL could experiment with "Eyewitness News", considering "Action News" is on WSB 2.

Edited by atlnewsfan03

2 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

I'd agree that WGCL 46, back during their WGNX days was very good, especially during the "Georgia's News at Ten" era.  That ended when WAGA 5 took Fox away from WATL 36, upon ending its then 45-year union with CBS.  Had CBS went to WUPA 69 (when it was still WVEU), it'd probably be another WWJ.  We don't know what WATL would've looked like had they affiliated with CBS.  WGCL having news department benefitted CBS greatly.

Since Meredith acquired WGCL from Tribune, I'd agree with back-and-forth name changes between CBS 46 and CBS Atlanta, outside the infamous failed "Clear News" concept, as well as management and anchor turnovers, hence the "revolving door" status.  WGCL's ratings may not be the best, despite many opportunities recently to jump into 3rd place, and push WXIA 11 into last place.  At the same time, WGCL is profitable (making tons of money).  My guess would be as good as anyone elses... "status quo".

I couldn't see Meredith doing a WIAT on WGCL, as "Daily News" concept would likely fail.  Not sure whether WGCL could experiment with "Eyewitness News", considering "Action News" is on WSB 2.

WGCL is still in 4th place it hasn't overtaken 11 Dead as some of the comments the ppl from AJC say.  In one of the last few ratings 11 & 46 both tied in some newscast, but it isn't 3rd place exactly.  Maybe 11pm, but not quite there.  WGCL makes money but it not making the same as the other three stations.  WSB, WAGA & WXIA were all taking in over 100 million and when they listed WGCL it didn't state how much they were raking in.  Yes, that was probably over a decade ago.  WGCL yes it has a solid newscast, but it can beat 11.  WXIA product become too TEGNA and Meredith no better.  I'm not saying they should do a daily news, but just start over.  CBS 46 has become a laughing stock, and ppl are still laughing.

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

On September 23, WKYC is changing their 6pm newscast from "Channel 3 News at 6" to "What Matters Most."  Saw it in another promo.

What happened to Channel 3 News... "See the possible" ?

Edited by Breaking News

18 minutes ago, Greggo said:

FTV is claiming several NBC Boston anchors were let go. Any idea who or why? 

Anchor/reporter Chris Emma and weekend anchor Nick Emmons. They've apparently been wiped from the bio page. With such poor ratings, it sounds like one of the newer bosses is looking for scapegoats, but not without some headbutting in the front office.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

On September 23, WKYC is changing their 6pm newscast from "Channel 3 News at 6" to "What Matters Most."  Saw it in another promo.

And somehow I already see puddles of salivation coming from Dick Goddard Way, E 30th, and especially Reserve Square. This is madness. THIS. IS. TEGNA!!!!!

Edited by NEOMatrix

5 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Interesting i'm all for local TV innvation, but whatever they do, it better be good.  Their new director of news content, Adam Miller, ran the 4th hour of the Today Show before he came to WKYC. So- I think it'll be good. Can you post some of the promos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

And somehow I already see puddles of salivation coming from Dick Goddard Way, E 30th, and especially Reserve Square. This is madness. THIS. IS. TEGNA!!!!!

Tegna alone is making WEWS watchable again.  "The Now" and "lottery-ball" 5 seem like ancient history now.   Sure it's come a long way from the Catch 5 and NewsChannel 5 era, but the dumpster fire on Lakeside Avenue keeps growing.

10 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Tegna alone is making WEWS watchable again.  "The Now" and "lottery-ball" 5 seem like ancient history now.   Sure it's come a long way from the Catch 5 and NewsChannel 5 era, but the dumpster fire on Lakeside Avenue keeps growing.

TEGNA & Scripps are killing their stations with the current crap.  Again, 19 despite it silliness it has more muscle than KYC & EWS... just sayin'-  

3 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

TEGNA & Scripps are killing their stations with the current crap.  Again, 19 despite it silliness it has more muscle than KYC & EWS... just sayin'-  

To be quite frank, speaking of Tegna, I’d rather have them do a ownership swap a la Cox/Fox with WFXT/KTVU with CBS to get WFOR out of its misery.

57 minutes ago, REWRetroSuperstation said:

To be quite frank, speaking of Tegna, I’d rather have them do a ownership swap a la Cox/Fox with WFXT/KTVU with CBS to get WFOR out of its misery.

Miami is an AFC market. Don't think CBS would want to get rid of WFOR because of that.

8 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC is making BOTH WEWS and WOIO look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more watchable by comparison.

Also, I prefer Scripps over TEGNA anyways.

But no matter what, as long as it goes back to FOX (O&O that is)... NOBODY and I mean... NOOOOOOOBODY is ever going to touch WJW again. In fact, I see WJW as the next WTVT within that station group.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Anchor/reporter Chris Emma and weekend anchor Nick Emmons. They've apparently been wiped from the bio page. With such poor ratings, it sounds like one of the newer bosses is looking for scapegoats, but not without some headbutting in the front office.

I mean, let’s be real, they are on anchor overload anyway.

• Like 1