Out & About

TexasTVNews

3 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Your analogy of World Cup soccer and TV news makes zero sense. Telemundo 39 is  #1 in Dallas because of the growing Hispanic population. It's the same here in LA, KVEA is usually at the top of the heap due to demographics. When you watch soccer in Spanish, you get the gist of the game just by watching the action on the field. That comparison does not happen with TV news. You need context and you need to be able to understand the language to get the true background on what is being reported.

Yes you do because in Soccer if you watch the match in Spanish, you need context and understanding of how they use terms in Spanish and be able to translate it into English, it's just like watching TV News in Spanish so therefore it does make sense

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Yes you do because in Soccer if you watch the match in Spanish, you need context and understanding of how they use terms in Spanish and be able to translate it into English, it's just like watching TV News in Spanish so therefore it does make sense

Or none of the explanations or comparisons bandied about here has any basis in reality. You guys are treating apples and avocados as a fair comparison thus letting some idiot in Spanish language marketing pull a fast one on you... this topic repeatedly gets serious attention around here as if it’s really an oh wow truth for god knows what reason...

One audience (English only) doesn’t have a choice and another does (bi-lingual) and still another can only speak Spanish... regardless of language is a terrible statistic to bandy about and it makes the Spanish language stations look better than they are. The English language stations are at a significant disadvantage in this game. Many of the bi-lingual have English as a second language... if I started off with Spanish and learned broken English and had a choice I would go with what I knew the best and could completely comprehend... so many of these folks are joining the bandwagon out of necessity. 

What good does this stat do for someone who only speaks English? I could watch Telemundo I guess... a majority are evidently... but I’d be watching people appear to me to be uncontrollably babbling... what good is a measurement of success that has a limited reach?

It’s similar to what WABC does with “most watched in America”... by households sure but in the market with the most households... not a hard feat for whoever is number one. However by share it could be a station in Fargo that could claim it or in Fairbanks... one could make a compelling argument that share is a more important number...

Three kinds of lies...

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 3

It's very different when it's a sporting event versus a newscast. A sporting event can still be somewhat understandable in another language. A newscast, not so much.

But putting down Spanish-language television stations who are doing just as much work for their communities in news and public service is being discriminatory to what they do simply because it's not in a language you understand.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Samantha said:

But putting down Spanish-language television stations who are doing just as much work for their communities in news and public service is being discriminatory to what they do simply because it's not in a language you understand.

What makes you think I was putting down Telemundo? Nowhere in my post was I putting down Telemundo or Univision it's good for them that they're winning my issue was what made people in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex perfer to watch a 4pm newscast in Spanish than in English? What did the 4 major DFW Engloish language stations do wrong that propelled Telelmundo to 1st place?

2 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

What makes you think I was putting down Telemundo? Nowhere in my post was I putting down Telemundo or Univision it's good for them that they're winning my issue was what made people in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex perfer to watch a 4pm newscast in Spanish than in English? What did the 4 major DFW Engloish language stations do wrong that propelled Telelmundo to 1st place?

The 4 English stations didn't do anything wrong. Telemundo's #1 status just shows that the demographics in DFW and other markets are shifting. Hispanics are the dominant demographic and it is showing in markets across the country....Miami, NYC, LA, Houston, Dallas, etc etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samantha said:

It's very different when it's a sporting event versus a newscast. A sporting event can still be somewhat understandable in another language. A newscast, not so much.

Who said anybody didn’t do good for the community? I’m simply saying the comparison is a little shady and ham-fisted and is bent to make their results look better. You think the folks in a PR department have Walter Kronkite level honesty or something? All It demonstrates is that the demos are shifting... that’s not an accomplishment by anybody... it’s a byproduct of a change in viewer composition... then it gets played off as if they 100% worked for it against all of the other stations and that nothing changed external to their efforts...

As for being in a language I don’t understand and being discriminatory or whatever you are trying to accuse me of that has nothing to do with it. Don’t bring that kind of crap into the discussion. I’m not here for that kind of “you’re a racist” garbage. You don’t like my criticism that’s fine and we can talk about it. Don’t you dare try to win an argument by putting words in my mouth.

Edited by ns8401

6 hours ago, FiveNews said:

The 4 English stations didn't do anything wrong. Telemundo's #1 status just shows that the demographics in DFW and other markets are shifting. Hispanics are the dominant demographic and it is showing in markets across the country....Miami, NYC, LA, Houston, Dallas, etc etc.

That answers my question, I knew that the other major markets that you mentioned the latino population is growing but DFW? I might call this a HUGE win for Telemundo and it probably wouldn't surprise me if Telemundo wins more markets as the latino population groiws and major Spanish language networks like Telemundo and Univision are going to benefit from this increase

35 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

That answers my question, I knew that the other major markets that you mentioned the latino population is growing but DFW? I might call this a HUGE win for Telemundo and it probably wouldn't surprise me if Telemundo wins more markets as the latino population groiws and major Spanish language networks like Telemundo and Univision are going to benefit from this increase

It’s Texas... why wouldn’t the Latino population be growing? I don’t quite get why DFW would be a surprise?

33 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

It’s Texas... why wouldn’t the Latino population be growing? I don’t quite get why DFW would be a surprise?

When you think of Texas you only think of a few major cities that are close to the Mexican border (i.e. El Paso, San Antonio, etc.) as having the higher latino population whereas places like Dallas it wasn't really until a few years ago if not, a little bit futher back than that, we noticed an uptick in terms of population. Also this is a market where for DECADES it was dominated by WFAA and KDFW, the Spanish language stations in the area didn't really become a factor until DFW experienced the increase in Latinos moving to the area

On 8/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, Samantha said:

I don't think ns8401 intended to put down Spanish-language TV news. S/he wasn't saying Spanish-language news is somehow inferior to English-language stations, just that the numbers aren't particularly profound when you look beyond the surface and the press release...as in it's less about the content the stations are producing and more about the demographics.

In 2015-2016 about 3.6% of Hispanic TV households nationwide lived in DFW vs around 2.3% of overall households nationwide.

https://www.nationalmediaspots.com/media-stats/Nielsen-2016-2017-Hispanic-TV-Homes.pdf

You can see how some markets punch tremendously above or below their weight in this regard. In Hispanic households, the RGV is a top 10 market while barely cracking the top 80 overall. Obviously it's important to not necessarily conflate Hispanic with "Spanish-speaking", since plenty of Latino Americans speak zero Spanish...that is unless language is a factor in Nielsen's rankings.

Edited by AJClementeFan69

On 8/12/2019 at 3:06 AM, oknewsguy said:

When you think of Texas you only think of a few major cities that are close to the Mexican border (i.e. El Paso, San Antonio, etc.) as having the higher latino population whereas places like Dallas it wasn't really until a few years ago if not, a little bit futher back than that, we noticed an uptick in terms of population. Also this is a market where for DECADES it was dominated by WFAA and KDFW, the Spanish language stations in the area didn't really become a factor until DFW experienced the increase in Latinos moving to the area

Ok I’ll bite... what about in Oklahoma? Does the demographic shift peter out as you move north in  Texas to the point that it’s not much of a factor once you cross state lines?

10 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Ok I’ll bite... what about in Oklahoma? Does the demographic shift peter out as you move north in  Texas to the point that it’s not much of a factor once you cross state lines?

Once you cross the Red River it becomes more of a Native American demographic than anything else because Oklahoma before it joined the Union in 1907 as the 46th State it was known as Indian Territory. 

Most of the Hispanic population in our state is on the South side of Oklahoma City along the I-240 corridor otherwise, once you go out of the major cities in Oklahoma, the Hispanic population drops off quite a bit

6 hours ago, Superdude said:

Last month KDKA quitely added a 2hr Sunday Morning newscast from 7-9. Bumping an hour of cbs e/i, joel osteen and a public affairs program.  Both TAE and PXI have had neescasts there since the 90s.

Not only that... KDKA added a third hour on Saturdays starting earlier at 5:00 a.m.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, CircleSeven said:

No. He meant the new LP they lit up last year. KCWH-LD, The CW affiliate in Lincoln (repeated on KNHL (formerly KHAS) 5.3). Gray has that Cornhusker state locked from Omaha to Scottsbluff.

Ah, thanks.

I don't know if anybody know this, but KDFW's Steve Eagar hasn't been on the air for a while is because he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Eagar had his surgery yesterday and resting comfortably.  Almost 175,000 men get diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and about 30,000 die every year. Black men have A 60% increased risk. Getting a PSA test means early discovery. If you are 45+ and haven’t had a PSA test, get one. It’s a blood test. Easy. No pain. Do it!

Please take the time to send Steve wall you well wishes on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/steve.eagar.7/

We wish FOX 4's Steve Eagar the very best of recovery.

Hugs and Prayers, Steve and God Bless.

• Like 2

Rich Lieberman is reporting that Natasha Zouves is leaving KGO-TV for a much smarter place...

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2019/08/415-media-exclusive-zouves-leaving-kgo.html

Edited by Eat News
Red Velvet- (Zimzalabim) .. https://youtu.be/YBnGBb1wg98

Vicki Gardner, the lone survivor of the 2015 shooting that happened live on-air while being interviewed by WDBJ, is suing the station.

The $6 million lawsuit claims the station was negligent in hiring Vester Flanagan, the shooter.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/gardner-shot-and-injured-in-attack-at-bridgewater-plaza-sues/article_959a802e-fe18-57f9-a3e0-c8dcd1240ddb.html

Gray Television was initially named as a defendant, but was nonsuited since they purchased WDBJ several months after the attack.

WBAL-TV is taking the highly rated morning show of their sister radio station WIYY/98 Rock and putting it on TV. It will consist of 30 minute episodes airing after SNL, apparently it will take clips from their show and put it on air.  They said it won’t be just a bunch of random clips but they will be strung together and described similar to pop up video.  They said it was apparently a suggestion from the head of Hearst TV (which oversees the two radio stations). You can get more information here and there’s a YouTube video with their segment with WBAL GM Dan Joerres. 

Apparently its going to be a miniseries but with a possibility of more in the future.