Out & About

TexasTVNews

Meanwhile at Buffalo's WKBW, GM Michael Nurse and two members of its station's sales department were released from their duties by a Scripps representative today.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/08/06/wkbw-tv-staff-stunned-as-gm-nurse-and-two-key-members-of-sales-team-are-let-go-by-scripps/

Edited by tw-804

14 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Give kudos to Mike Nurse for staying there that long, five years after the Lighthouse took over.

I strongly don't believe any changes in management is going to change the status quo. Viewership habits are hard to change.

Even though the other two stations aren't exactly doing that well either.

KLKN has announced a new general manager. Kern Dant will replace Roger Moody who has been with the station since 1997 (KLKN signed on in 1996) and is a member of the Nebraska Broadcasters Hall of Famw. Kern Dant's father was the first GM in '96.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/237671/kern-dant-named-general-manager-of-klkn/

The Standard Media sale, by the way, is expected to be completed early September. 

14 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

KLKN has announced a new general manager. Kern Dant will replace Roger Moody who has been with the station since 1997 (KLKN signed on in 1996) and is a member of the Nebraska Broadcasters Hall of Famw. Kern Dant's father was the first GM in '96.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/237671/kern-dant-named-general-manager-of-klkn/

The Standard Media sale, by the way, is expected to be completed early September. 

It looks as if Deb McDermott wants to return KLKN to its roots (which that makes sense considering that McDermott has a history in Lincoln)

I'd be very interested to see what McDermott does with WLNE (which that station out of the 2 stations Standard acquired is in need of some serious work)

6 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

It looks as if Deb McDermott wants to return KLKN to its roots (which that makes sense considering that McDermott has a history in Lincoln)

I'd be very interested to see what McDermott does with WLNE (which that station out of the 2 stations Standard acquired is in need of some serious work)

Both could use some serious work, really.

12 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

Both could use some serious work, really.

Exactly. KLKN needs serious work too (and hiring a new GM is a start, still got a long way to go though) but I think WLNE out of the 2 that are in the bigger need of work done to the station

Going back to KLKN though, I don't think it would matter what Standard does with KLKN because isn't KOLN a 100-lb gorilla in Lincoln? If so then Standard for sure has their work cut out in Lincoln

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Exactly. KLKN needs serious work too (and hiring a new GM is a start, still got a long way to go though) but I think WLNE out of the 2 that are in the bigger need of work done to the station

Going back to KLKN though, I don't think it would matter what Standard does with KLKN because isn't KOLN a 100-lb gorilla in Lincoln? If so then Standard for sure has their work cut out in Lincoln

KOLN and Gray Television are the 100-lb gorillas in Lincoln. It's not just KOLN in the market that Gray has, but seems like a gazillion stations in that area they own, including KSNB, KCWH and god what else they got.

3 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

KOLN and Gray Television are the 100-lb gorillas in Lincoln. It's not just KOLN in the market that Gray has, but seems like a gazillion stations in that area they own, including KSNB, KCWH and god what else they got.

Back in the '70s, KOLN's 10p news had the highest market share of any CBS affil in the nation. KLKN has taken a little dent, but it should be interesting with Deb Mcdermott's (former KOLN PD) company.

KSNB is owned by Gray but has a completely different newscast, focusing on Kearney-Hastings-Grand Island.

If you're referring to KWCH, that's Wichita, a fur piece (as we say in Kansas) away.

10 minutes ago, KS-IL-IA said:

Back in the '70s, KOLN's 10p news had the highest market share of any CBS affil in the nation. KLKN has taken a little dent, but it should be interesting with Deb Mcdermott's (former KOLN PD) company.

KSNB is owned by Gray but has a completely different newscast, focusing on Kearney-Hastings-Grand Island.

If you're referring to KWCH, that's Wichita, a fur piece (as we say in Kansas) away.

No. He meant the new LP they lit up last year. KCWH-LD, The CW affiliate in Lincoln (repeated on KNHL (formerly KHAS) 5.3). Gray has that Cornhusker state locked from Omaha to Scottsbluff.

12 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

I figured this would happen, WTVR will launch a 4pm newscast in September to replace Steve Harvey.  This newscast will compete against WWBT's longtime 4pm newscast, which recently expanded to an hour earlier this year.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/8/9/adding-more-news-in-richmond

4pm news for WTVR? WHAT?!! Wasn't expecting that news!

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

I think out of the 2 markets that Standard got from Citadel I think they will have a MUCH easier time in Providence than they will in Lincoln

8 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

And yet, those three stations you've mentioned as examples are still #1 in their markets and by longshots too.

Even WSAZ has been #1 for many years.  Under Lee Enterprise, Emmis and Gray.

25 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

And yet, those three stations you've mentioned as examples are still #1 in their markets and by longshots too.

And that is also despite the fact that Gray shuttered and merged KSPR's news department into KYTV's

38 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Viewer loyalty isn't easy to break. Most of the bloodbaths happened behind the scenes, and viewers are a lot less likely to notice if the anchors remain the same and most viewers aren't going to really notice lower-quality MMJ content. It's just a shame how Gray operates, that's all.

10 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

In terms of the race at 4:00 p.m. in DFW, between KXAS, WFAA and KTVT, the winner is... NEITHER.

Instead, it goes to KXTX. Winners in July REGARDLESS OF LANGUAGE. Another Telemundo station taking another win.

That's just like peoiple would rather watch the World Cup in Spanish than in English, same thing here in this case 

I guess people don't like KTVT, WFAA, and KXAS so much they'd rather watch Telemundo for news at 4pm

1 minute ago, oknewsguy said:

That's just like peoiple would rather watch the World Cup in Spanish than in English, same thing here in this case 

I guess people don't like KTVT, WFAA, and KXAS so much they'd rather watch Telemundo for news at 4pm

Probably a mix of there being only two Spanish news-producing stations versus four (less ratings dilution) and perhaps more Spanish-speakers watching TV news than anglophones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Your analogy of World Cup soccer and TV news makes zero sense. Telemundo 39 is  #1 in Dallas because of the growing Hispanic population. It's the same here in LA, KVEA is usually at the top of the heap due to demographics. When you watch soccer in Spanish, you get the gist of the game just by watching the action on the field. That comparison does not happen with TV news. You need context and you need to be able to understand the language to get the true background on what is being reported.

• Like 2