Out & About

TexasTVNews

6 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Never understood stations that have paid programming at 12:30 weekdays. WJXT is also a victim of this.

Some stations just need the extra money when they exceed their budgets. BTW, how much does the average paid program pay out to a local station?

2 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

A brand new program is coming to WJAR's airwaves starting September 3rd that'll replace that boring informerical slot at 12:30 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/studio10wjar/

Oh another one of those lifestyle programs with paid product placements and stories... Doesn't RI already have one on WPRI 12 called the Rhode Show?  Can the market sustain both?

On 7/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

Never understood stations that have paid programming at 12:30 weekdays. WJXT is also a victim of this.

IKR? I just wish WJXT would expand their noon news to an hour already. Unfortauntely, Look Local at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesdays prevent that from happening (though it hasn't run on WJXT in sometime, according to TitanTV).

On 7/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

And WKYC and WEWS as well. 12:30 has always been off and on with infomercials for WEWS, but moreso with WKYC as of late. Hell, at one point, WKYC ran E/I in that 12:30 timeslot back 2 or 3 years back.

11 minutes ago, DENDude said:

KUSA Has E/I at 12:30PM on Fridays and that has only been since October.  It's kinda weird.

Given that the network is airing all those live sporting events that would eat up all that time, I'm surprised that KUSA is not airing E/I stuff at 12:30pm every weekday. That would only leave one E/I show to air on the weekend.

Edited by CircleSeven

It was just announced on the 5pm newscast that it will be Double Duties for Darren Peck as he joins the weekend evening crew at KPIX with Brian Hackney and Juliette Goodrich.

He currently does weather for the 6am Sat and Sun weekend newscasts.

Seems like it’s a normality for the weekend weather anchors to do double duties which I’ve seen at other stations and markets.

Dave Scott - KUSI 

Vianey Arana - KNTV (when Rob Mayeda is out)

Terry Burnhans and Brooke Landau when XETV still had a Newscast

Brian Hackney who is also a back up fill in weather anchor has been doing Hybrid Anchoring and Weather at KPIX on and off the past 4 years.....This finally fills in the weekend void when Roberta Gonzalez used to be the weekend weather meteorologist before her final year at KPIX switching to weekday mornings after Lawrence Karnow left for KRON. 

On 7/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, NowBergen said:

Oh another one of those lifestyle programs with paid product placements and stories... Doesn't RI already have one on WPRI 12 called the Rhode Show?  Can the market sustain both?

And it's like the third show with that name.  WALA (the one-time sister station to WPRI under LIN) has Studio 10 and I believe WTSP used that name as well.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, Georgie56 said:

Blame the networks for not having ever provided a strong way to program 12:30. You've got The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise, an hour-long newscast is just repeating the noon all over, or you can go the paid advertorial route and alienate everyone. Someone's going to buy a WORX device and justify the money, and Humana needs to get people to know about Medicare Part D plans at a time they're awake. It's just the way things are and I don't think any lower of a station that does it.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, hmaxhanson said:

Some stations just need the extra money when they exceed their budgets. BTW, how much does the average paid program pay out to a local station?

Anyone on this board could afford to buy a half-hour of time on a mid-market local TV station.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, NowBergen said:

Probably. The Rhode Show isn't as paid as one would think it is, I know people who have paid their way on and people whose organization was approached by the producers. This thing will probably be a lot more paid than that, especially at the outset.

One DMA over, Hartford has two (WTNH's CT Style, WVIT's CT Live) plus the, IIRC, not-paid Better Connecticut on WFSB. Providence can easily do two but what that market really could use is someone doing news at 4:00.

47 minutes ago, TheRob said:

Anyone on this board could afford to buy a half-hour of time on a mid-market local TV station.

Easily explains some of the "local" programming I'd see in OK before I made the move. Oof.

11 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Blame the networks for not having ever provided a strong way to program 12:30. You've got The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise, an hour-long newscast is just repeating the noon all over, or you can go the paid advertorial route and alienate everyone. Someone's going to buy a WORX device and justify the money, and Humana needs to get people to know about Medicare Part D plans at a time they're awake. It's just the way things are and I don't think any lower of a station that does it.

I think you mean, "you've got The Young and the Restless or The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise." Y&R airs at 12:30 on most CBS stations in the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones, B&B airs at that slot in the other time zones and on any CBS stations in the Pacific Time Zone that follow the Central/Mountain scheduling for the daytime lineup (assuming that there are any).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

6 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I think you mean, "you've got The Young and the Restless or The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS just eating everyone's lunch otherwise." Y&R airs at 12:30 on most CBS stations in the Eastern and Pacific Time Zones, B&B airs at that slot in the other time zones and on any CBS stations in the Pacific Time Zone that follow the Central/Mountain scheduling for the daytime lineup (assuming that there are any).

Actually, most Pacific stations I believe air Y&R at 11:30am.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Actually the Pacific Time Zone follows the Central/Mountain daytime pattern so B&B usually airs at 12:30 in that time zone as well.

2 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Actually, most Pacific stations I believe air Y&R at 11:30am.

Or 11, depending on if their news airs at noon.

Programming note/reminder to any TVNT users to have YouTube accounts and video capture devices: KOCO is celebrating its 65th anniversary of broadcasting (nine years as an Enid station [the latter seven of which it had acted as an Enid and Oklahoma City station, outside of licensing and documents] and 56 years as an Oklahoma City station) with the latest edition of its KOCO 5 Chronicle series of specials.

The hour-long special, KOCO 5 Chronicle: Celebrating 65 Years of Service!, airing at 9:00 p.m. tonight (July 30), will take a look at the station's history, including memorable former personalities and programs (such as Ida "Ida B." Blackburn and Ho Ho the Clown aka Ed Birchall), the evolution of its weather technology, and major news stories chronicled by the station over the years.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

WGGB/WSHM Dave Madsen's last day is Friday after 27 years at channel 40, 13 years at WWLP and nearly 50 years of being in Springfield media from WMAS radio to Western Mass News.

https://www.westernmassnews.com/news/looking-back-at-dave-madsen-s-career/article_24858d02-b229-11e9-905c-877a4624e51f.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Here is a cool little story about a guy who worked at QTV in Queensland , and hid a bunch of  news archive film from his bosses so it wouldn't get thrown in the trash...

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/when-a-tv-station-tried-to-discard-40-years-of-film-one-man-fought-back-20190721-p5299z.html

Edited by Eat News
The Honey Badger (Narration By Randell) .. https://youtu.be/4r7wHMg5Yjg
  • Like 1

Because of the deadly massacre in El Paso, David Muir and Lester Holt both anchored a special edition of ABC World News Tonight and NBC Nightly News in El Paso while Norah O'Donnell anchored in the CBS Evening News in NYC, but she'll be in El Paso to anchor special coverage tomorrow for CBS This Morning and CBS Evening News. Muir and Holt continues to anchor live tomorrow in El Paso.

I was watching a little bit of the El Paso local coverage on the Nexstar station there (Channel 9). A prank caller called into the station claiming she was in the movie theater at the mall and her aunt was shopping in the mall and they put her on the air. She was dropping references to 8-chan, white supremacy and how they were ushered out of the movie theater and scared because of the rumors that African migrants were raping people at the mall. She was basically mocking all conventional talking points before she called the reporter a dumb f*** for believing her and hung up the phone.

Edit: I found it but the volume is low:

Edited by DirtyHarry