Out & About

TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Hopefully it's only that and not the other networks they own (CBS Sports, Showtime, Pop, Flix, etc...)

I think we're beginning to see these disputes taken up to a whole new level.  AT&T still will not allow HBO on Dish.  Cinemax is being phased out on Xfinity for their in-house Hitz channel.

The networks had better start making their content a-la-carte when they start demanding too much money for it.  It's the only way in this vertically integrated disaster we're seeing with these mega-mergers.  No one should have to sacrifice a whole service because another channel is ONLY available on a competing bundle.

I think the cable bundle is starting to burst and what's fueling the fire is the fact that AT&T (the same company that's started the whole carriage fiasco) wants to shift current DirecTV satelitte customers to streaming. So clearly that may be part of the reason why we've seen so many carraige disputes involving AT&T.

Looking back, I can clearly see why the Justice Department didn't want to allow the AT&T-Time Warner merger to go through in the first place, it has nothing to do with CNN's politics but rather the kind of stuff that it's playing out now, and it shows.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I think the cable bundle is starting to burst and what's fueling the fire is the fact that AT&T (the same company that's started the whole carriage fiasco) wants to shift current DirecTV satelitte customers to streaming. So clearly that may be part of the reason why we've seen so many carraige disputes involving AT&T.

Looking back, I can clearly see why the Justice Department didn't want to allow the AT&T-Time Warner merger to go through in the first place, it has nothing to do with CNN's politics but rather the kind of stuff that it's playing out now, and it shows.

And before them Dish was the outlier for playing hardball with broadcasters and other content suppliers.

• Like 1

This is why vertical integration back in TV's infancy was illegal.  When the providers sell their own and acquired content (and in AT&T's case bundle the hell out of it and give it away like candy) it stifles competition since the "negotiations" are souring between the mega-companies that own all of the content.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:40 PM, atlnews2 said:

former WGCL meteorologist Paul Ossmann is suing the station for “racially and ethnically discriminatory termination"

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/meteorologist-paul-ossmann-sues-cbs46-for-racially-and-ethnically-discriminatory-termination/r7Hz7bSKoafKhoysC5SZLP/

On that note, I've caught wind that WGCL has been doing significantly better across the board since Ossmann's departure. Their noon newscast was #1 on Tuesday afternoon and mornings are a rival second with WAGA, especially during the 6 AM hour, and only a couple of ticks behind WSB. As meaningless as the July sweeps are, they will certainly be interesting.

KOFY just ended their 9pm LIVE produced newscast from KGO with a short farewell. They announced that they will continue to air their rebroadcasts of ABC 7 News at 7pm and 11:30pm 

Looks like KRON will now dominate the 9pm slot.

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

KOFY just ended their 9pm LIVE produced newscast from KGO with a short farewell. They announced that they will continue to air their rebroadcasts of ABC 7 News at 7pm and 11:30pm 

It was bound to happen when they lost their full-power signal and was sold to Stryker (CNZ). I have a feeling they'll go back to their '70s low-budget roots (the "C" in "CNZ" is for Terry Crosby, the son of former owner Leon Crosby).

11 hours ago, SFTV said:

How many of you remember when KOFY had it's very own news department?

We reach into the great "Vault 'O Newz".....

This is probably the only remaining artifact of that short lived news operation...which is housed at the KBEX-TV Museum of News and other Crap.

575475424_KOFY1990.jpg.ce04cacb444814143b66ab414e04e641.jpg

Edited by Eat News
(WJSN) - Boogie Up (Stage Mix).. https://youtu.be/2mdq3Oes9K8 [Making Film] (WJSN) - 'Boogie Up' .. https://youtu.be/4tLjzQSEaa0
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Chris Nguyen out at weekend mornings at KGO. Bio is still up.

Kumasi Aaron in according to Lisa Argen’s Facebook page.

Did anyone say he's gone, or just demoted? Also, posting a link is always cool.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:10 PM, ATLNewsHawk said:

On that note, I've caught wind that WGCL has been doing significantly better across the board since Ossmann's departure. Their noon newscast was #1 on Tuesday afternoon and mornings are a rival second with WAGA, especially during the 6 AM hour, and only a couple of ticks behind WSB. As meaningless as the July sweeps are, they will certainly be interesting.

And Jennifer Valdez (who succeeded Ossmann) has proved herself to be a break from Burns, Chandley , and Holcomb. My hunch is come November sweeps, WGCL will be battling with WAGA for #2, thanks to a strong CBS primetime.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, johnnya2k6 said:

And Jennifer Valdez (who succeeded Ossmann) has proved herself to be a break from Burns, Chandley , and Holcomb. My hunch is come November sweeps, WGCL will be battling with WAGA for #2, thanks to a strong CBS primetime.

No way, CBS's prime time does not do as well in Atlanta as it used to. If there is any movement in the fall, it would be WAGA taking a more commanding lead in late news with FOX taking over Thursday Night Football. Best 46 could do is solidify a solid third place (as long as they don't fire anyone in the meantime).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLNewsHawk said:

No way, CBS's prime time does not do as well in Atlanta as it used to. If there is any movement in the fall, it would be WAGA taking a more commanding lead in late news with FOX taking over Thursday Night Football. Best 46 could do is solidify a solid third place (as long as they don't fire anyone in the meantime).

Simply because ABC primetime on WSB is getting stale, as next season’s will be Modern Family’s last and Grey’s Anatomy is way past it’s used-by date. But as the host station, Super Bowl LIII definitely helped WGCL, so they could settle for #3 among households with WAGA dominating the 18-49s over WSB.

21 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WKRG has named a new Chief Meteorologist...Ed Bloodsworth from WFLA will be assuming the role vacated by Alan Sealls.

www.wkrg.com/top-stories/wkrg-news-5-names-ed-bloodsworth-as-chief-meteorologist/

Ed will be a really good fit there! I've met him quite a few times. They will be in really good hands!

• Like 1

More morning shakeup at ABC 7 Mornings.

Alexis Smith, Traffic anchor is going on maternity leave and moving back to Seattle since her husband got a new job opportunity. She came from Seattle prior to ABC 7.

this comes months after Jessica Castro, Live news desk anchor left the station not too long ago.

The Lagniappe weekly newspaper had their annual "Nappie Awards", a best-of competition that readers vote on....

Best Meteorologist?   Alan Sealls.

(I'd post a link but the site is behind a paywall now)

I'm hoping Ed can bring some experience back into this market but it may be difficult trying to fill the void with Alan Sealls' departure.   This and the AT&T blackout could be devasting to WKRG's ratings....not to mention the "retirement" of longtime anchor Mel Showers. (He still fills in from time to time...)

Edited by tyrannical bastard

Just now, tyrannical bastard said:

The Lagniappe weekly newspaper had their annual "Nappie Awards", a best-of competition that readers vote on....

Best Meteorologist?   Alan Sealls.

(I'd post a link but the site is behind a paywall now)

I'm hoping Ed can bring some experience back into this market but it may be difficult trying to fill the void with Alan Sealls departure.   This and the AT&T blackout could be devasting to WKRG's ratings....not to mention the retirement of longtime anchor Mel Showers.

Speaking of Alan, maybe WALA will take him on after the non-compete expires?

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Speaking of Alan, maybe WALA will take him on after the non-compete expires?

If Biloxi-Gulfport is not included in the scope, then WLOX could be an option as well.

Over at WPMI, they recently lost Jake Dunne as he will be going to mornings at KWCH in Wichita...sort of a homecoming for him since he's a Kansas native and interned at KWCH early in his career.

And since WPMI is down to 2 (and Chris Dunn is on vacation?), WEAR Chief Allen Strum is appearing on WPMI in a pre-taped forecast.  I'm hoping it doesn't set a precedent for the future.  Kelly Foster, the only other meteorologist is still doing double duty in the mornings (BOTH anchor & weather), and the noon show is her solo.

WKBT La Crosse's Lisa Klein said goodbye to the station last week after nearly 22 years.

https://www.news8000.com/news/wkbt-s-lisa-klein-says-goodbye/1096499307

KXMC Minot's Jim Olson is saying goodbye tomorrow after delivering sports at KX Television for 33 years.

https://www.kxnet.com/good-day-dakota/someone-you-should-know/someone-you-should-know-a-farewell-to-jim-olson/