Out & About

TexasTVNews

3 hours ago, SFTV said:

Happened to see that KOFY is promoting a local Dance Party Show that’s been a staple program filmed at the studios normally seen on weekends. However, starting July 22 at 10pm, it will be seen Nightly which is normally a rerun of the 9pm news produced by KGO.

Im looking at KOFY’s tv schedule on Titan and it shows that Last Man Standing is airing at 9pm on July 22 which is normally ABC 7 News at 9pm on KOFY TV 20. 

Is KOFY is cancelling the 9pm Newscast all together since they stopped doing weekend newscasts not too long ago?  

Also it looks like they are bringing back a full hour of the 7pm news on KOFY to compete with KTVU Plus and KPIX (only :30 min). Unless, its ABC 7 News at 6 rerun?

Actually, the 10pm news is live on KOFY too, just like the 9pm. How do I know? When you look at KOFY's titantv listings, when it says "ABC7 News 9:00PM (or 10:00PM) on KOFY" that way, it meant the newscasts were live. If it says "ABC7 News on KOFY 11:30PM", it meant a repeat of a recent newscast.

In this instance, the way you're writing this and the way I look at it, it looks like both the 9 and 10pm newscasts will be cancelled to make way for that live Dance Party at 10pm. This means that KGO will no longer have a live newscast on KOFY for the first time since 2007 when the 9pm news first premiered.

And the hour-long 7pm news will just be a repeat of KGO's 6pm news. It already repeats their 11pm news at 11:30pm.

Interesting story: NBC Connecticut Political reporter Max Reiss is leaving to serve in Ned Lamont's administration starting Monday 7/22/19.

I don't know how I feel about political reporters working on the dark side in State politics.

The last reporter that did the transition from reporter to political administration was John Miller from WNBC-TV/CBS News/ABC News.

Edited by Spintech33

14 hours ago, MorningNews said:

What a f4cking idiot. How do these anchors still not realize that they shouldn’t say things like this when they’re mic’d whether they think they’re live or not?

Kari Lake is a pathetic example of journalism.  I refuse to watch Fox 10 here in Phoenix until she's GONE.  I've had the unpleasant task of helping her at a local health food store.  She was rude, pushy, and thought she owned the place.  The temptation to smack her was oh so great.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MorningNews said:

What a f4cking idiot. How do these anchors still not realize that they shouldn’t say things like this when they’re mic’d whether they think they’re live or not?

You don’t seriously believe this sort of thing is only said by your local mechanic do you?

Why people are shocked and outraged by this stuff is beyond me...

Edited by ns8401

35 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

You don’t seriously believe this sort of thing is only said by your local mechanic do you?

I think its the fact that she was dumb enough to say it while mic'd up, on cam, etc.  I don't have a problem with the language, just her lack of judgement.

44 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Did you happen to actually read my comment or no? I'm not at all shocked by what she said, I'm shocked that she didn't realize that her mic was open and the broadcast was potentially going live. That's the equivalent of me sending political views or disparaging remarks via email at the office when I know the company monitors them. Her recklessness is what is shocking, not what she said.

4 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Kari Lake is a pathetic example of journalism.  I refuse to watch Fox 10 here in Phoenix until she's GONE.  I've had the unpleasant task of helping her at a local health food store.  She was rude, pushy, and thought she owned the place.  The temptation to smack her was oh so great.

Yet she's gained a lot of new fans among the MAGA crowd (just look at the comments on the YouTube video).

59 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

That doesn't make sense. WDAY and WDAZ are available to anyone for free if you have an antenna, so why would you move content behind a paywall? It's justifiable for newspapers to do, because that industry is ailing financially and newspapers have always required you to pay to purchase a copy (either via a one-off purchase or a regular subscription).

But anything one can receive legally without paying doesn't merit a paywall, unless it involves more substantive content exclusive to the website, while allowing most other stories to be available for free. I don't see this panning out as well as Forum thinks it will.

1 hour ago, T.L. Hughes said:

That doesn't make sense. WDAY and WDAZ are available to anyone for free if you have an antenna, so why would you move content behind a paywall?

More and more companies are producing web-exclusive content. There are less and less sources of ad revenue online unless you want to become a video portal, which I suspect a market like Fargo can't support.

Forum wants to be paid for the content they create, and I can't totally blame them. I think you'll see a point soon where some of the online-only newscasts become paywall'd--and so many are now used to receiving content for free that it's going to be a PAINFUL adjustment on both ends. The ones that are providing free content are hanging on by a thread. There will need to be a way to directly monetize it all, or you'll soon see no content of value at all on the Internet.

The letter in the FTVLive piece tells me Scott may have jumped the gun on the TV website itself being paywall'd (guessing it'll be INFORUM.com first), but if they indeed go through with it, it'll be a noble, if not necessary experiment to see if some of these small market stations not owned by Sinclair or Nexstar can stay afloat.

Edited by TSSZNews

I would like to remind everybody that Monday of next week, it would be two years ago, July 22... it was the day that Washingtonian's lost WRC NBC 4's Jim Vance. Take the time to remember him, and re-look back at his career next week.

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I would like to remind everybody that Monday of next week, it would be two years ago, July 22... it was the day that Washingtonian's lost WRC NBC 4's Jim Vance. Take the time to remember him, and re-look back at his career next week.

I will say lots of prayers for Jim next Monday. Hard to imagine a leader on News4 Washington is gone two years later.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Did you happen to actually read my comment or no? I'm not at all shocked by what she said, I'm shocked that she didn't realize that her mic was open and the broadcast was potentially going live. That's the equivalent of me sending political views or disparaging remarks via email at the office when I know the company monitors them. Her recklessness is what is shocking, not what she said.

My broader point wasn’t really about you (though originally I misunderstood you to be in that crowd and that’s why it was written that way, actually clearly you are not) rather it was wondering about all those neat people who come out from cracks in the walls when someone says the “F-word”... then they retreat until it is said again... their silly shock never ceases to amaze me...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

It's justifiable for newspapers to do, because that industry is ailing financially and newspapers have always required you to pay to purchase a copy (either via a one-off purchase or a regular subscription).

Your one-time purchase or subscription for a newspaper basically paid the cost of printing it and delivering it. The content? That was funded by the ads inside. Back in the golden age of newspapers, those were expensive ads. Everyone read the newspaper so they could charge a lot of money for the ad space. Now, the same news is available online, in some cases for free. Advertisers don't want to pay to subsidize the cost of the newspaper anymore, because nobody's reading it. So in comes the paywall. Now the subscribers are actually paying for the content itself. 

The same goes for TV. TV ads are decreasing in price. Newspapers somewhat responded to this by cramming more ads into less space. Decrease the size of the paper, increase the number of ads. Costs go down, revenue goes up. Except it's much harder to cram more ads into TV. Local TV has never been "free", you paid for the content you received by suffering through commercials. Viewers tend to notice when video is sped up to fit more ad time in (and yes, this is a thing that has been tried). Newscasts are now littered with sponsorship logos in an attempt to cram as much ad real estate into the day as possible.

TV viewership is falling. Advertisers know this. People have more things to distract themselves with during commercials. Advertisers know this too. They want to pay less for the ad time because of these things. So the stations need to make money from somewhere, and free on the internet doesn't always cut it, especially in small markets like Fargo. So, just like newspapers, it's time to make the people who want the content pay for it.

I've long said the best indicators of where this industry is going will be from the small markets. They're the ones being hit hardest by the changing industry. If it works in Fargo, it's going to start creeping upwards. And if it doesn't work? Well, there are a lot of buildings out there that used to be newspaper offices...

Remember, Scripps/WCPO started experimenting with something like this in 2013, and the service is still active.

• Like 4

On 7/16/2019 at 2:18 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Actually, the 10pm news is live on KOFY too, just like the 9pm. How do I know? When you look at KOFY's titantv listings, when it says "ABC7 News 9:00PM (or 10:00PM) on KOFY" that way, it meant the newscasts were live. If it says "ABC7 News on KOFY 11:30PM", it meant a repeat of a recent newscast.

In this instance, the way you're writing this and the way I look at it, it looks like both the 9 and 10pm newscasts will be cancelled to make way for that live Dance Party at 10pm. This means that KGO will no longer have a live newscast on KOFY for the first time since 2007 when the 9pm news first premiered.

And the hour-long 7pm news will just be a repeat of KGO's 6pm news. It already repeats their 11pm news at 11:30pm.

The 10pm is a repeat of the 9pm. KGO does not do live news at 10pm.

KPIX is running a ticker on the Noon newscast right now saying DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse May drop KPIX. 

Right now KRON is still blacked out on DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse customers. 

This is will be a double whammy.

855-5 KEEP CBS

KEEPCBS.com

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Georgie56 said:

Aaannndddd.... They have lost their viewers for that stupidity. 

Why in the name of Frankfurt would you place your own TV station behind the paywall and yet you can get WDAZ/WDAY for FREE, over the air.

Sounds to me like either they're desperate for traffic on their website because nobody is visting their site or they're trying to drive whatever is left of their viewership elsewhere in the area.

I seriously have a bunch of questions about this.....

9 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Folks, I have a announcement to tell you folks what watch WFAA (8) Weather. Meteorologist Colleen Coyle is leaving the station after nine years.

https://on.wfaa.com/30L5Glt

Always liked Colleen. WFAA just lost another of their few remaining good ones. She probably saw the way things were headed and jumped ship. 

—————-CHANGE OF TOPIC——————

Sad news out of Colorado Springs. 36 Year old KKTV reporter Dustin Cuzick has passed away. https://www.kktv.com/content/news/Memorial-services-for-KKTVs-Dustin-Cuzick--512784901.html

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

4 hours ago, SFTV said:

Looks like it’s only affecting the CBS and CW  O&O’s 

Hopefully it's only that and not the other networks they own (CBS Sports, Showtime, Pop, Flix, etc...)

I think we're beginning to see these disputes taken up to a whole new level.  AT&T still will not allow HBO on Dish.  Cinemax is being phased out on Xfinity for their in-house Hitz channel.

The networks had better start making their content a-la-carte when they start demanding too much money for it.  It's the only way in this vertically integrated disaster we're seeing with these mega-mergers.  No one should have to sacrifice a whole service because another channel is ONLY available on a competing bundle.

• Like 2