Out & About

TexasTVNews

4 hours ago, justin2kx said:

Also, FOX O&Os will be the new home for Weigel's "DECADES" this coming fall.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/fox-television-stations-weigel-broadcasting-decades-television-network-1202644017/

It's a great subnet - but it heavily relied on the CBS library for content, and even though the release indicates they'll still air programming from that library, I do wonder if that'll change--or we'll see more classic 20th Century FOX programming in the mix.  Probably overthinking since Disney owns a lot of that library now though.

7 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

I can see WBTV taking advantage of this by extending its Saturday morning news to 9am, pushing CBS This Morning Saturday to 9am-11am, and/or adding Sunday morning news from 7-8am. 

WSOC could expand their Saturday newscast as well and WCNC could add a Saturday newscast. Currently they do not have one at all.

And this would be a good opportunity for WJZY to expand Good Day Charlotte to 9am on Saturdays.

Well, WSOC is currently 6-8am on Saturdays and Sundays with WCNC's being 6-7 and 9-10am on Saturdays.

5 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

It's a great subnet - but it heavily relied on the CBS library for content, and even though the release indicates they'll still air programming from that library, I do wonder if that'll change--or we'll see more classic 20th Century FOX programming in the mix.  Probably overthinking since Disney owns a lot of that library now though.

I wonder if this means Movies! or Buzzr disappears from Fox O&Os. I think most likely Movies! but Buzzr has the most accessibility of any netlet out there being on video streaming apps Pluto and Sinclair’s Stirr. So if Buzzr goes it’s not a huge loss.

1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

I wonder if this means Movies! or Buzzr disappears from Fox O&Os. I think most likely Movies! but Buzzr has the most accessibility of any netlet out there being on video streaming apps Pluto and Sinclair’s Stirr. So if Buzzr goes it’s not a huge loss.

Weigel owns the other half of Movies!, so you can be sure that the deal with Decades solidifies that carriage (along with H&I). I could see it more being a replacement for Light TV, which pretty much has sunk like a stone to an almost-all Christian station base outside the Fox markets. Buzzer at least has DRTV sales to keep them safe (and since Stirr and Pluto overlay the DRTV ads there, they want to stay on over-the-air whenever possible).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerseyfla said:

They'll likely add the network on a new subchannel, while keeping the other diginets in tack.

Look at Charlotte (where WJZY/WMYT share the same frequency) they carry eight separate channels in one frequency.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Well, WSOC is currently 6-8am on Saturdays and Sundays with WCNC's being 6-7 and 9-10am on Saturdays.

I stand corrected about WCNC. I didn’t look at 6am when I viewed the Titan TV  guide. And I didn’t realize WSOC’s started that early too.

46 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Those squiggly lines on the backdrop are reminiscent of a Media General set. But I thought their set was done in-house. Was it ever upgraded after that? Or is this a new Sinclair set?

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/03/08/providence-station-unveils-new-set/

Three years on this set, after the sale to Sinclair.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, justin2kx said:

Also, FOX O&Os will be the new home for Weigel's "DECADES" this coming fall.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/fox-television-stations-weigel-broadcasting-decades-television-network-1202644017/

KTXH in Houston has had Decades on its third sub-channel (OTXH 20.3) since October 2015; it had replaced MundoFox.  I was surprised that none of the CBS-owned TV stations that were CW or independent stations (KMAX or KCAL as respective examples) picked up Decades when their CBS O&O counterparts added Start TV.

Edited by nbc9houston
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:27 AM, Greggo said:

We’re not talking about Demetria. We’re talking about the ND and GM. In November, the station didn’t win a single news time slot in households and/or 25-54. That’s pretty bad for a once-great station. Fast forward to May and their only win was in households at 6p. Fox 4 now owns the market. 

WFAA’s morning news featuring Demetria has managed to beat longtime front runner Fox 4 Good Day several days in the last few weeks and been in a virtual tie the others. That’s a huge switch from several years ago when the show was in the ratings gutter.

6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

WFAA’s morning news featuring Demetria has managed to beat longtime front runner Fox 4 Good Day several days in the last few weeks and been in a virtual tie the others. That’s a huge switch from several years ago when the show was in the ratings gutter.

But, but, but a novelty name for the process that Tegna puts their stations through to bring them in line with corporate standards. 

EDIT: Why does putting "-itis" on the end of "TEGNA" autocorrect to that definition? I didn't type that.

Edited by H4UL4U

On 7/11/2019 at 4:20 AM, jerseyfla said:

Not necessarily. In DFW, KDFW's digital signal only encompasses its main feed on 4.1, while KDFI programs a main feed and four subchannels (affiliated respectively with Movies!, Buzzr, Heroes & Icons and Light TV); KDFW could feasibly add a 4.2 sub to carry Decades. Same in L.A., where KTTV also doesn't program any subchannels. In Charlotte, WJZY could replace the Sonlife Broadcasting Network with Decades on 46.2. In Orlando, WOFL could add a .3 subchannel to slot the network. BTW, RabbitEars is already noting a few markets where it's been indicated that Decades would be placed on the FTS stations without expending any of the other subchannel networks they carry (namely San Francisco, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Detroit, Gainesville-Ocala and Tampa).

Edited by T.L. Hughes

21 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

But, but, but a novelty name for the process that Tegna puts their stations through to bring them in line with corporate standards. 

EDIT: Why does putting "-itis" on the end of "TEGNA" autocorrect to that definition? I didn't type that.

A couple users were overusing it, unironically.  That and a couple of other "cute" pet names for basically every station group out there.

Since that has basically died down I'm removing the word filters... for now.

16 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

Not necessarily. In DFW, KDFW's digital signal only encompasses its main feed on 4.1, while KDFI programs a main feed and four subchannels (affiliated respectively with Movies!, Buzzr, Heroes & Icons and Light TV); KDFW could feasibly add a 4.2 sub to carry Decades. Same in L.A., where KTTV also doesn't program any subchannels. In Charlotte, WJZY could replace the Sonlife Broadcasting Network with Decades on 46.2. In Orlando, WOFL could add a .3 subchannel to slot the network. BTW, RabbitEars is already noting a few markets where it's been indicated that Decades would be placed on the FTS stations without expending any of the other subchannel networks they carry (namely San Francisco, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Detroit, Gainesville-Ocala and Tampa).

WKMG carries Decades on 6.3 already, so it won’t come to WOFL anytime soon.

47 minutes ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/fox10s-kari-lake-calls-new-times-20-year-old-dopes-11327644

KSAZ's Kari Lake is at it again...dropping F-bombs on FB live directed toward her management and a Phoenix paper.

Yet she won't get fired, given who her employer is and also that it's Phoenix. She's untouchable at KSAZ because her actions aren't enough to hurt her or the station's brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

70 years ago today, WBTV 3 went on the air becoming the first television station in the Carolinas. Right now their special celebrating those years is on.

Edited by AaronQ

3 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/fox10s-kari-lake-calls-new-times-20-year-old-dopes-11327644

KSAZ's Kari Lake is at it again...dropping F-bombs on FB live directed toward her management and a Phoenix paper.

What a f4cking idiot. How do these anchors still not realize that they shouldn’t say things like this when they’re mic’d whether they think they’re live or not?

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 5

On 7/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, AaronQ said:

70 years ago today, WBTV 3 went on the air becoming the first television station in the Carolinas. Right now their special celebrating those years is on.

If you missed it, it's available on demand here:
https://www.wbtv.com/video-gallery/community/
I was thrown by the use of Howdy Doody in the retrospective until I remembered that WBTV was a secondary NBC affiliate for the first several years of its existence.

Edited by newsbot

Happened to see that KOFY is promoting a local Dance Party Show that’s been a staple program filmed at the studios normally seen on weekends. However, starting July 22 at 10pm, it will be seen Nightly which is normally a rerun of the 9pm news produced by KGO.

Im looking at KOFY’s tv schedule on Titan and it shows that Last Man Standing is airing at 9pm on July 22 which is normally ABC 7 News at 9pm on KOFY TV 20. 

Is KOFY is cancelling the 9pm Newscast all together since they stopped doing weekend newscasts not too long ago?  

Also it looks like they are bringing back a full hour of the 7pm news on KOFY to compete with KTVU Plus and KPIX (only :30 min). Unless, its ABC 7 News at 6 rerun?