Out & About

TexasTVNews

5 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

Jummy Olabanji has now started at WRC as the Breaking News-Live Desk Anchor as of 7/1. (homecoming of sorts).

Previously at WJLA & WNBC TV has now returned home to DC.

Her bio is still on WNBC-TV.

I know for sure WNBC and CAU don't have Breaking News-Live Desk Anchors (Correct)???  

I could be wrong, but WCAU has Vai before he comes on the air, and then Lucy after Vai takes over in the co-anchor chair. In the 4pm and 5pm Jim usually fills that role (occasionally Keith at 4pm and Jackie at 5pm.

WNBC used to have Karry Barrett handling that in the mornings before she left.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I could be wrong, but WCAU has Vai before he comes on the air, and then Lucy after Vai takes over in the co-anchor chair. In the 4pm and 5pm Jim usually fills that role (occasionally Keith at 4pm and Jackie at 5pm.

WNBC used to have Karry Barrett handling that in the mornings before she left.

You may be right with both WNBC and WCAU

Right now WCAU it's usually with the anchor alternates after each news cast.

WNBC: At times I've seen either Michael G, David Ushery or Jonathan Dienst doing Breaking news-Live Anchor desk. (However, rarely used in New York City)

Whatever happened to Kerry Barrett?

3 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

You may be right with both WNBC and WCAU

Right now WCAU it's usually with the anchor alternates after each news cast.

WNBC: At times I've seen either Michael G, David Ushery or Jonathan Dienst doing Breaking news-Live Anchor desk. (However, rarely used in New York City)

Whatever happened to Kerry Barrett?

In reality, NBC had no clue how to use Kerry Barrett.  The breaking news desk thing didn't last very long and she ended up just being a substitute anchor across all newscasts.  It was like she was the fifth wheel.  I don't think this is unique to WNBC from when I lived in St. Louis and KSDK tried a similar thing.  When there is. breaking news, and it requires a specialized "expert" it usually intelligence or security related and Jonathan Dienst is used.  But it is topic specific.  Otherwise regular anchors will break in.  But that is not part of the regular scheduled broadcasts usually but has been on occasion.  Adam Kuperstein did that Thursday with the LA earthquake from the newsroom, which is not a typical set they use these days.

A lot of stations around the early 2010s decided to add “breaking news anchors”. Here in Baltimore and it sounds like elsewhere it’s a glorified reporter that stays in the studio and is the primary fill in. 

9 hours ago, rkolsen said:

A lot of stations around the early 2010s decided to add “breaking news anchors”. Here in Baltimore and it sounds like elsewhere it’s a glorified reporter that stays in the studio and is the primary fill in. 

This I agree.

• Like 1

KPNX morning Emma Jade has announced she's stepping down from the morning show to spend some more time with her three children (she just had her third child). She said she wasn't leaving the station entirely, so I wonder what her new role (if any) will be. I've enjoyed Emma's work and remember when she started as morning traffic anchor. I wish her best of luck.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I kind of saw the writing on the wall when Rachel McNeil was hired. I thought Rachel would be used as a breaking news anchor/fill in anchor until Emma returned from maternity leave. Looks like the anchor spot goes to Rachel.

This kind of flew under the radar due to the 4th of July weekend, but it's official: Byron Allen's company called Allen Media Broadcasting is now the owner of KADN/KLAF in Lafayette, LA, having purchased it from Bayou City Broadcasting (the consummation notice is at the attached link)...... https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101806732&formid=905&fac_num=33261

Edited by J1975am
Oops, didn't notice CircleSeven's post about it from last Friday (my bad)......

On 4/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, nbc9houston said:

Former KPRC Houston anchor Rachel McNeill has joined KPNX in Phoenix to anchor Today in AZ:

https://www.12news.com/article/about-us/team-bios/rachel-mcneill-anchor/75-cc71f2bd-894c-48d9-89bf-c2ae31618e76

KPRC has named Rachel McNeill's replacement on the morning newscast.  Taniya Wright, a morning anchor for WNCN in Raleigh, will begin on KPRC on August 5th.  Consumer expert Amy Davis and health reporter Haley Hernandez have been alternating as morning co-anchor on a weekly basis since McNeill's departure.

https://www.click2houston.com/community/taniya-wright-joins-kprc-2-morning-team

Edited by nbc9houston

4 minutes ago, nbc9houston said:

KPRC has named Rachel McNeill's replacement on the morning newscast.  Taniya Wright, a morning anchor for WNCN in Raleigh, will begin on KPRC on August 5th.  Consumer expert Amy Davis and health reporter Haley Hernandez have been alternating as morning co-anchor on a weekly basis since McNeill's departure.

https://www.click2houston.com/community/taniya-wright-joins-kprc-2-morning-team

It took them an entire year to find a replacement for Rachel McNeill. Unreal! She gave notice last summer and didn’t leave until the end of December. They had ample time (6 months) to seamlessly transition to someone new and blew it. Instead they’ve been using fill-ins for six months with another month left to go before Taniya starts. 

56 minutes ago, Greggo said:

It took them an entire year to find a replacement for Rachel McNeill. Unreal! She gave notice last summer and didn’t leave until the end of December. They had ample time (6 months) to seamlessly transition to someone new and blew it. Instead they’ve been using fill-ins for six months with another month left to go before Taniya starts. 

Some stations are reaallllly picky with who they want to hire and will keep a search open until they find exactly (or close enough to) what they want. That, or they're just insanely slow at filling positions. Sometimes a spot opens but other things kept taking over priority and it takes forever to fill.

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Some stations are reaallllly picky with who they want to hire and will keep a search open until they find exactly (or close enough to) what they want. That, or they're just insanely slow at filling positions. Sometimes a spot opens but other things kept taking over priority and it takes forever to fill.

I hate to say this, but stations will take forever to fill something to save some money, and more than likely, to fill their own pockets with the saved money.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I hate to say this, but stations will take forever to fill something to save some money, and more than likely, to fill their own pockets with the saved money.

This must be what's happening at KSLA then. They don't even have a weekend sports anchor right now and the weekend morning newscast doesn't have an anchor. Plus a solo anchor currently does the morning and noon newscasts and has been doing so for about a year.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:42 AM, Eat News said:

Maybe it's a good thing...

(From KRON.com)

kronsnub.JPG.a9617680a6aae6f1dc9be30547c64d4a.JPG

When I took a look at the KREX/KGJT website nothing is mentioned about being blacked out by AT&T/DirecTV and even the DirecTV promise website dosn't mention KREX/KGJT.  However the KXRM-FOX21 website has the banner at the top talking about getting blacked out.   Weird. 

1 hour ago, DENDude said:

When I took a look at the KREX/KGJT website nothing is mentioned about being blacked out by AT&T/DirecTV and even the DirecTV promise website dosn't mention KREX/KGJT.  However the KXRM-FOX21 website has the banner at the top talking about getting blacked out.   Weird. 

That's because DirecTV doesn't carry local channels at all in Grand Junction (one of the few markets where that is the case).

WRGT/WKEF in Dayton have rebranded their newscasts as "Dayton 24/7 Now."  Here's the release:

https://dayton247now.com/news/local/introducing-dayton-247-now-bringing-you-the-latest-news-around-the-clock

Cammy Dierking is apparently following Rob Braun out the door at WKRC in Cincinnati:

https://www.wvxu.org/post/cammy-dierking-leaving-wkrc-dec-leaving-station-without-2-main-anchors#stream/0

This opens the door for the station to overhaul all its newscasts - which frankly, is needed.  WKRC is incredibly stale compared to WLWT, which is informative, yet has high production value. 

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Cammy Dierking is apparently following Rob Braun out the door at WKRC in Cincinnati:

https://www.wvxu.org/post/cammy-dierking-leaving-wkrc-dec-leaving-station-without-2-main-anchors#stream/0

This opens the door for the station to overhaul all its newscasts - which frankly, is needed.  WKRC is incredibly stale compared to WLWT, which is informative, yet has high production value. 

Rob Braun is okay, but he's no Nick Clooney. If he were that level of talent, he might have been able to get a gig in one of the cities where The Bob Braun Show used to air. That would create some buzz. He could have been Columbus' next Doug Adair. But like I said, he's no Nick Clooney (or Doug Adair).

Does he end up at one of the other stations in town or is he too old for another gig?

Edited by DirtyHarry

20 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Rob Braun is okay, but he's no Nick Clooney. If he were that level of talent, he might have been able to get a gig in one of the cities where The Bob Braun Show used to air. That would create some buzz. He could have been Columbus's next Doug Adair. But like I said, he's no Nick Clooney (or Doug Adair).

Does he end up at one of the other stations in town or is he too old for another gig?

I think both he and Dierking are like Cincinnati chili or goetta....people outside the area might not see the appeal.  I find both of them very dry and wooden, and such a stark contrast from their morning news team.  Bob Herzog is almost TOO animated and it sometimes appears very jarring when they shift from adlibbing to "real news."  But that could also be the station putting a square peg in a round hole altering the format of Good Morning Cincinnati to a more "hard news" format over the past few years.

I see this is an opportunity to completely overhaul the entire operation.  They really should consider tweaking their morning format to be something akin to the WGN Morning News, building that show around Herzog and a team.   And for the evenings, move someone into those positions with just a little bit of personality? Sheila Gray almost seems too wooden for the mornings, but has just enough personality for the PM.  Brad Johansen never really "left" Cincinnati during his stint at WRAL (his wife and daughter stayed in Ohio).  To me, this seems like a no-brainer.  John Lomax should also have the chance to do whatever he wants...if he wants an afternoon/early evening slot.  Switch Lomax and Kyle Inskeep.  Build mornings around Herzog.  Considering hiring back Tiffany Wilson to the AM show.  Put Gray and Johansen together as the main team...and let Liz Bonis/Paula Toti keep their current roles for consistency's sake.  (As dry at Toti is...)

All of this should be proactive to WLWT - who really shines with married duo Sheree Paolello and Mike Dardis at the helm.

Edited by ttvn2000

5 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

I think both he and Dierking are like Cincinnati chili or goetta....people outside the area might not see the appeal.  I find both of them very dry and wooden, and such a stark contrast from their morning news team.  

I can't say I've watched them all that much, but here is my take on things from somebody who used to be in Cincinnati fairly frequently. Dierking is dry, but she's got the MILF thing going on. You have to be impressed with somebody who is almost 60 and keeps themselves in shape like that.

As much charisma as Rob Braun's dad used to have, I'm surprised he is so dry. Bob Braun was a genuinely funny, funny guy. Rob may be a riot in person, but on TV he is pretty boring. Plus there is that hair. One of his black colleagues at the station need to teach him how to use some hair straightener. I say that as a person with curly hair myself, but it just doesn't look right on the guy!

Okay, enough for the superficiality. Spare me the sanctimony about the Sinclair spot. It was just a locally tailored promotion. Every chain store does that and TV stations are no different than chain stores these days in my opinion. A Sears in Cincinnati has Bengals jerseys they advertise. A Sears in Detroit has Lions jerseys and they probably use the same ad, too. Same difference if Cincinnati anchors and Columbus anchors and Dayton anchors are all cutting a promo reading the same script.

Edited by DirtyHarry

One of the blacks at the station?? Not sure what point you were trying to make. African Americans (the preferred term...not *blacks*), by nature don't have straight hair.

Edited by FiveNews
n/a
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

One of the blacks at the station?? Not sure what point you were trying to make. African Americans (the preferred term...not *blacks*), by nature don't have straight hair.

Yes, many use hair straightener/relaxer depending on the hairstyle. Rob needs gallons and gallons of it and a good tutor.

I'm too old and too sick and tired of the PC police to change my vocabulary anymore. For me it's black, but I changed it to "black colleagues" because it reads better.

Edited by DirtyHarry

I can see WBTV taking advantage of this by extending its Saturday morning news to 9am, pushing CBS This Morning Saturday to 9am-11am, and/or adding Sunday morning news from 7-8am. 

WSOC could expand their Saturday newscast as well and WCNC could add a Saturday newscast. Currently they do not have one at all.

And this would be a good opportunity for WJZY to expand Good Day Charlotte to 9am on Saturdays.

Edited by Nelson R.