Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, justin2kx said:

The quality of a man is reflected above from comments left from many colleagues from sunbeam such as Kim Khazei.

In memory + rest in paradise to Mr. Robert Leider. I know Roly you'll like this. '88 promo in anticipation of 'SVN going indy, later FOX.

Such inspiration for WSVN. It so worked. RIP Mr. Leider. My all-time favorite station and became so as a result of his leadership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Cleveland comedian Mike Polk, Jr. joins WKYC and will appear on different newscasts.  He's also been featured on WJW and WUAB in the past.

And according to Cleveland.com, he might be anchoring the 11pm news on Fridays??!  Dear lord.

So - they've ditched Chris Tye and Tom Meyer for Jay Crawford and Mike Polk?!   I wouldn't be surprised to see Monica Robins out the door soon as well, as the writing seems to be on the wall for veteran talent at WKYC.  This is prime time for WEWS and WOIO to get competitive with a news-intensive strategy.

For those who are in the DC metro area (like myself). Barbara Harrison has left WRC after 38 years = Retirement of some sorts.

However, she will do specials with WRC. 

One of the best DC anchors alongside Pat Lawson-Muse.

Article Source: Newsweek: https://www.newsweek.com/washington-news4-nbc-barbara-harrison-news-anchor-steps-down-retires-career-beautiful-1446460

Edited by Spintech33
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

And according to Cleveland.com, he might be anchoring the 11pm news on Fridays??!  Dear lord.

So - they've ditched Chris Tye and Tom Meyer for Jay Crawford and Mike Polk?!   I wouldn't be surprised to see Monica Robins out the door soon as well, as the writing seems to be on the wall for veteran talent at WKYC.  This is prime time for WEWS and WOIO to get competitive with a news-intensive strategy.

Scripps & Gray both pinching pennies.. It just seems that they don't value seasoned talent.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Scripps & Gray both pinching pennies.. It just seems that they don't value seasoned talent.  

If said veteran talent is willing to take a pay cut (I know at least one guy was willing to work for $1 per year but to no avail) they should be allowed to continue until they are ready to go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Changes are happening at WWL.

Longtime anchor Eric Paulsen will be leaving the noon show. He will continue to anchor the Eyewitness Morning News.

His replacement at noon will be main anchor Thanh Troung. Because of this, Troung will no longer anchor the 10pm broadcast.

Glad he's not leaving though. He's one of the last of the big ones at the station.

• Like 1

It's the end of the line for The Vindicator, the newspaper of Youngstown, Ohio, after 150 years—but don't expect changes at co-owned WFMJ as a result:

WFMJ is also owned by the same family that owns The Vindicator. In a letter to WFMJ employees dated June 28, [general manager Mark] Brown said the decision to shut down the newspaper will not affect the television station.

"We have no plans, no intentions, no desire, no thoughts and no interest in selling WFMJ. Period," Brown said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Two Words...TRIBUNE CHRONICLE! (even if they're technically a Trumbull County newspaper)

I am shocked Ogden didn't step in to offer to buy or Gatehouse.  Ogden already owns Tribune Chronicle and also all 3 newspapers in Columbiana County.  Gatehouse would have been tited with Canton Repository, Alliance Review and The Dispatch.  Ogden also owns 7 springs, and the pirates. Overall this is truly a sad for the Youngstown and Mahoning Valley to loose the Vindy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, news89 said:

I am shocked Ogden didn't step in to offer to buy or Gatehouse.  Ogden already owns Tribune Chronicle and also all 3 newspapers in Columbiana County.  Gatehouse would have been tited with Canton Repository, Alliance Review and The Dispatch.  Ogden also owns 7 springs, and the pirates. Overall this is truly a sad for the Youngstown and Mahoning Valley to loose the Vindy.

Gatehouse also recently purchased the Akron Beacon Journal, so along with their other Northeast Ohio papers (Canton, Alliance, Wooster, Kent-Ravenna and the associated weeklies) they have a very strong foothold in Ohio when combined with the Dispatch.  They could easily pool all of their resources to cover the Mahoning Valley since they upped their sharing of content.

Most likely, the T-C will expand their distribution to Mahoning County and become a full-market paper, maybe by acquiring the rights to the Vindicator name.

They may have been able to sell the Vindicator if they kept up with the times a little more.  It was my understanding that the presses were only modernized less than a decade ago, while other newspapers had made the same move 10 or so years prior.

Now with WFMJ, the target on their back just grew exponentially, since they will no longer have a daily newspaper tied to them.  I'll bet the Wolfe Family said the same thing when they sold off the Dispatch, only to sell their TV stations to Tegna a few years later...

• Like 2

More changes at WWL in New Orleans.  This evening, the station will unveil new anchor teams for the 5, 6 and 10 PM newscasts.  For the first time in New Orleans history, and maybe nationally too,  all weeknight shows will be anchored by two females. A combination of Karen Swensen, Katie Moore and newcomer Charisse Gibson. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, newsguy22 said:

More changes at WWL in New Orleans.  This evening, the station will unveil new anchor teams for the 5, 6 and 10 PM newscasts.  For the first time in New Orleans history, and maybe nationally too,  all weeknight shows will be anchored by two females. A combination of Karen Swensen, Katie Moore and newcomer Charisse Gibson. 

I think they've had an all-female desk before after Dennis Woltering retired.

Thanh Truong is replacing Eric Paulsen at noon.

Edited by Georgie56

7 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

As a temporary line-up until a male co-anchor was hired, yes. But not as the permanent teams for 5, 6 and 10.

7 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I think they've had an all-female desk before after Dennis Woltering retired.

Thanh Truong is replacing Eric Paulsen at noon.

KTUL will finally get some competition at 4pm.

According to a new station promo, on August 5th, KOTV will launch a new 4pm newscast.

The move pushes Dr. Phil back to his original 3pm timeslot, replacing the ending Millionaire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d247 said:

KTUL will finally get some competition at 4pm.

According to a new station promo, on August 5th, KOTV will launch a new 4pm newscast.

The move pushes Dr. Phil back to his original 3pm timeslot, replacing the ending Millionaire.

Did you send a tip to @TheRolyPoly? If not, I will in a bit

On 5/4/2019 at 1:57 PM, 8Viewer said:

WTSP GM Mike Rodriguez is out the door in Tampa after a short tenure. 

http://www.tampabay.com/business/general-manager-mike-rodriguez-is-latest-to-leave-wtsp-20190503/

His replacement: Kari Jacobs from sister station WVEC in Norfolk.

Edited by KevCor
a word