Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 6/22/2019 at 2:31 PM, TVIntheDesert said:

KSAZ may have the most viewers, but KNXV has become the gold standard for news in Phoenix, despite it being a Scripps station. KSAZ's intent of mixing opinion with hard news kind of bogs them down.

KPHO was never a good news station when they were independent more than 25 years ago. I'm hoping you meant "independent" in the sense when they weren't joined to the knees with KTVK.

I'm a big fan of KNXV which IMO it's the gold standard in Phoenix, and sad part is if Scripps didn't kill Wheel/Jeopardy! Which I thought was good for them to have on the program schedule before sending it back to KTVK.   I've watched KSAZ & KTVK morning program.  Just watching online both definitely do a good job.  I like KTVK alot better under Belo, and they did a great job navigating from their ABC days as an independent station.  KPNX which is good, but just rode NBC's coattails.  From YouTube and reading articles KSAZ was a great CBS affiliate, but does a great job as FOX, but like many former CBS affiliates that are FOX i.e. WAGA/Atlanta, WJBK/Detroit eh they don't nothing for me.  KPHO for me they just seem to be the bottom feeder in the market.  As a CBS affiliate they were times they did a good job in their early years as Arizona 5 CBS & when Diana Sullivan, Katherine Anya years, but other than that.  From the Youtube Clips they were better during their days as an independent station not affiliated with a network which was 25 yrs ago.  

1 hour ago, Breaking News said:

I'm a big fan of KNXV which IMO it's the gold standard in Phoenix, and sad part is if Scripps didn't kill Wheel/Jeopardy! Which I thought was good for them to have on the program schedule before sending it back to KTVK.   I've watched KSAZ & KTVK morning program.  Just watching online both definitely do a good job.  I like KTVK alot better under Belo, and they did a great job navigating from their ABC days as an independent station.  KPNX which is good, but just rode NBC's coattails.  From YouTube and reading articles KSAZ was a great CBS affiliate, but does a great job as FOX, but like many former CBS affiliates that are FOX i.e. WAGA/Atlanta, WJBK/Detroit eh they don't nothing for me.  KPHO for me they just seem to be the bottom feeder in the market.  As a CBS affiliate they were times they did a good job in their early years as Arizona 5 CBS & when Diana Sullivan, Katherine Anya years, but other than that.  From the Youtube Clips they were better during their days as an independent station not affiliated with a network which was 25 yrs ago.  

KPHO had an understaffed news organization during their pre-CBS independent years. Their studio was modular, meaning it was taken apart when the daily kids show "Wallace & Ladmo" used the room in the afternoon to tape their show between the 11:30am and 9:30pm news shows. Sports scores were almost always reversed on their Chyron. I don't think they had a live truck back then either. KNXV was about to come in with a 9pm show as a Fox station so they got a little more serious about their product in '93.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

KPHO had an understaffed news organization during their pre-CBS independent years. Their studio was modular, meaning it was taken apart when the daily kids show "Wallace & Ladmo" used the room in the afternoon to tape their show between the 11:30am and 9:30pm news shows. Sports scores were almost always reversed on their Chyron. I don't think they had a live truck back then either. KNXV was about to come in with a 9pm show as a Fox station so they got a little more serious about their product in '93.

Also, KPHO was using magnetic boards for weather long after the other stations had electronic "green screen" maps.

Edited by TVIntheDesert

4 hours ago, TVIntheDesert said:

When a lot of Phoenix videos started showing up, I really gained an appreciation for how dowdy KPHO's product was as the 80s turned into the 90s. They really did start getting serious with the February '94 refresh (Fresh News and new graphics). They knew KNXV was coming into town — actually, their first show would have aired July 7, 1994, if the affiliation switch had not caused changes (they opted to reset a bit, and the first News 15 aired August 1).

They say KNXV toned down its product to adjust for the fact they'd be an ABC, not a Fox, affiliate. Could you imagine? As it was, the early KNXV product shook the market. I think they would have blown KPHO out of the water within months.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ramona said:

When a lot of Phoenix videos started showing up, I really gained an appreciation for how dowdy KPHO's product was as the 80s turned into the 90s. They really did start getting serious with the February '94 refresh (Fresh News and new graphics). They knew KNXV was coming into town — actually, their first show would have aired July 7, 1994, if the affiliation switch had not caused changes (they opted to reset a bit, and the first News 15 aired August 1).

They say KNXV toned down its product to adjust for the fact they'd be an ABC, not a Fox, affiliate. Could you imagine? As it was, the early KNXV product shook the market. I think they would have blown KPHO out of the water within months.

If Phoenix was Toronto, then KNXV would've been their equivalent to CityPulse -- a shocking, edgy, informal newscast that dedicated itself to deeper stories -- had the New World domino effect not screwed things up. As it was, they went downhill in two years and went through multiple campaigns and logos trying to find something that worked.

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

If I remember correctly, I think that the KNXV newscast was originally going to be based off of then-sister Fox affiliate in Kansas City. This is what those newscasts looked like.

In comparison, the newscasts that KNXV started with are definitely a lot more toned down. 

Go to 1:46 to see the start of the newscast.

Edited by Mrtraveler01

Former WDSU anchor Scott Walker is running for one of the at-large seats on the Jefferson Parish Council this year, according to The New Orleans Advocate. It is unknown which at-large seat he's running for. He'll join former WVUE reporter Jennifer Van Vrancken - who plans to run for re-election for her District 5 Jefferson Parish Council seat.

Former WDSU anchor Helena Moreno is currently chairwoman of the New Orleans City Council, representing the city as one of the at-large members.

1 hour ago, EssDee_media said:

Now we know why she left. However, I stand up with her because I think she's one of the best female anchors San Diego has ever had. She deserves her full reimbusement for her work.

(Sorry if I sound like I'm on one side over the other, but its true and I would've said the same for others who were in this situation)

• Like 4

I find this kind of odd.

Madison's ABC station WKOW is launching a midday broadcast at 11am, starting this Monday. Here's the odd part, the newscast will be 15 minutes at length. At 11:15am, it will air a 15-minute local lifestyle program called Midday Madison.

Wouldn't it been wise to at least have these both shows a half-hour at length each? We know Millionaire (which is moving from 11 to 11:30am) is going away in the fall. Since it's airing repeats, they could've moved the show to an overnight slot until the end of the run.

Edited by CircleSeven

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I find this kind of odd.

Madison's ABC station WKOW is launching a midday broadcast at 11am, starting this Monday. Here's the odd part, the newscast will be 15 minutes at length. At 11:15am, it will air a 15-minute local lifestyle program called Midday Madison.

Wouldn't it been wise to at least have these both shows a half-hour at length each? We know Millionaire (which is moving from 11 to 11:30am) is going away in the fall. Since it's airing repeats, they could've moved the show to an overnight slot until the end of the run.

So basically the format is kinda similar to how KTHV's noon newscast was once structured, when that station was carrying a newscast during the first half of the noon half-hour and the lifestyle talk show Arkansas Today during the second half, leading into The Bold and the Beautiful.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I find this kind of odd.

They probably want to start out small and see what the reaction is from the local businesses that will be courted for ads, and to sponsor segments.

You can always expand the (lifestyle) show if it takes off....and knock the news back to 5 minutes at the top of the show.

It's all about selling the lifestyle portion of the show.

Edited by Eat News
Boogie Up-(WJSN) [Music Bank] 20190614.. https://youtu.be/1D4loJvDH1o

9 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I find this kind of odd.

Not really that unusual; the small-market midwestern 'noon show' format since the late 80s is pretty much 20 minutes of news/weather, then the last 8-9 minutes being a local non-profit spotlight or a paid spot for home/medical services. It's just solidifying the format in the schedule. And for now the only thing it's replacing is an infomercial, so until September, taking a 'it's not broke don't fix it' direction is for the best right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

After an absence of four years, The Weather Channel is back on Verizon FIOS channel 611. It had been replaced back in 2015 by The AccuWeather Channel, which will remain on channel 119 SD/619 HD

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/wea...ns-1203247279/

I was somewhere locally with The AccuWeather Channel with their L bar - is the feed done locally or are there different feeds. 

So Gray not only likes to bring CW+ affiliations to life, but NBC too.

Just days ago, Gray announced it would bring NBC to Mankato on KMNF-LD Channel 7. Now? Its bringing NBC to Presque Isle on WWPI Channel 16.

https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/WAGM-announces-launch-of-NBC-Affiliation-511731462.html

Edited by TheRolyPoly

10 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I was somewhere locally with The AccuWeather Channel with their L bar - is the feed done locally or are there different feeds. 

We get the local feed here, but I had a free trial of Fubo TV and they had the national version.  My only complaint about the AccuWeather Channel is that they do little to no coverage of hurricanes.  

WMTV's Amy Carlson has decided to retire after a splendid 30 year career with the station, 24 of them doing weekend weather.

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Longtime-NBC15-Weekend-Weather-Anchor-Announces-Final-Sign-Off-510983401.html

Bill Lamb left WDRB Louisville to manage a station in a "top 10 market." That market? L.A. to manage KTTV and KCOP.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/236353/bill-lamb-named-vp-gm-of-foxs-l-a-duopoly/

We lost a man who turned WSVN Miami into a gigantic 800-ton gorilla powerhouse in South Florida.

https://wsvn.com/remembering-bob-leider/?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=WSVN+Miami+Remembers+Bob+Leider&utm_campaign=FCC+Investigating+Sinclair+Over+Tribune+Deal

NECN has decided to cancel The Take with Sue O'Connell, ending a longtime show that has had many variants since the 90s including NewsNight with R.D. Sahl (later with Curtis and Sahl), The Chet Curtis Report and Broadside with Jim Braude.

https://www.boston.com/news/media/2019/06/26/necn-cancels-the-take-sue-oconnell

Edited by TheRolyPoly

58 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

The quality of a man is reflected above from comments left from many colleagues from sunbeam such as Kim Khazei.

In memory + rest in paradise to Mr. Robert Leider. I know Roly you'll like this. '88 promo in anticipation of 'SVN going indy, later FOX.

Edited by justin2kx
  • Like 1