Out & About

TexasTVNews

2 hours ago, rkolsen said:

At the time WABC may not have been feeding CNN or uplinking the feeds yet to ABC News One. We’re they taking a simulcast or just footage? ABC and CBS subscribe to CNN NewSource so they can take anything they want that isn’t embargoed - even if it’s a competitor station. Say KGO has footage from a car chase from KABC but KCBS has a better angle/PQ they can take that. 

This. CNN Newsource was probably already routed into the switcher and the producers just went with whatever feed would put pictures of the news on-air the fastest.

The last thing on their mind was "Gosh I wonder if WABC is feeding this somewhere. Let's waste time getting that feed routed into the switcher instead of taking the one already available."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Weeters said:

This. CNN Newsource was probably already routed into the switcher and the producers just went with whatever feed would put pictures of the news on-air the fastest.

The last thing on their mind was "Gosh I wonder if WABC is feeding this somewhere. Let's waste time getting that feed routed into the switcher instead of taking the one already available."

All of this is correct. Do the ABC O&Os have an internal bonded cellular grid like pretty much everybody else? Even so, WABC in the heat of the moment may not have been feeding.

5 hours ago, NowBergen said:

WABC also is broadcasting live, why not use their own sister station??????  Note the only NYC station that is not covering this live is WNYW FOX5.  CBS2, NBC4, ABC7 and PIX11 are all live.  I guess Fox values Dish Nation higher than breaking news.

When I tuned in around 3pm, all NYC news stations was on including WNYW, WXTV, NY1, and News 12 BK/BX.

I was impressed with N12 and WXTV with their live coverage usually they rarely show up. On the other hand, NY1 spent way too much tv time on anchors and reporters in the studio instead of showing videos and pictures plus they were bragging about themselves about Gov. Cuomo (who was closer to the area due an event he was attending nearby) talking to them before Mayor DeBlasio (who came back from Iowa early in the morning and was at City Hall when it happened).

Case in point: 

Edited by RGSJenkins

5 hours ago, Weeters said:

But wouldn’t they also likely have the primary NewsOne feeds as sources as well?

23 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

But wouldn’t they also likely have the primary NewsOne feeds as sources as well?

Almost all stations have a switcher that isn't sufficient to have every feed coming into the building available on it. A small market may only have a handful of sources, but probably has a small switcher. A large market station may have a hundred sources but a switcher that only supports 50. Most stations I've seen rely on having a block of switcher inputs (I'd say on average 10) designated for remote sources (which can be satellite feeds, microwave, bonded cellular, and in some cases infrequently used hookups within the building itself) that are fed from the facility's router, and usually these run through framesyncs to ensure they're synchronized with the switcher. Since KGO was in the middle of a show, they would already have had the remote shots they were using routed in. 

It's possible that they already had CNN Newsource routed to the switcher for something else that was being fed on it (Newsource fed a murder trial verdict from Southern California less than an hour prior to the crash, at the time of the crash, Newsource was offering two feeds from a House Judiciary Committee hearing regarding the Mueller report). It's possible NewsOne was feeding something else and couldn't feed WABC immediately, or in a rush to get on-air, WABC wasn't feeding NewsOne. My guess is a producer, either in the booth or in the newsroom, saw the alert come down from CNN first, and at that point their priority was to get Newsource on the air because they knew that this was being covered on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NowBergen said:

You are actually wrong on several counts.  New Yorkers are very sensitive to "flying machines" hitting buildings today, but more importantly, the area is a no fly zone - both because of what happened 9/11 and its close proximity to trump's tower and home.  The helicopters are usually restricted to the rivers and this one was to be headed south to it's home base in Linden NJ, not north.  

Sarcasm is not your strong suit apparently...

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, NowBergen said:

You are actually wrong on several counts.  New Yorkers are very sensitive to "flying machines" hitting buildings today, but more importantly, the area is a no fly zone - both because of what happened 9/11 and its close proximity to trump's tower and home.  The helicopters are usually restricted to the rivers and this one was to be headed south to it's home base in Linden NJ, not north.  

You 1000% missed the sarcasm.

http://www.fox5dc.com/about-us/fox-5-staff/angie-goff-joins-fox-5-dc

In an announcement that surprises no one, Angie Goff is named co-anchor of WTTG's new 4pm newscast slated to launch after the Women's World Cup.  I remember Scott Jones saying shortly after she left WRC that she'd be going there and once the 4pm newscast was announced, along with the hiring of Blake McCoy, it all made sense.

Who says TEGNA’s cheap they sent Mike Valerio and a photog to Tokyo to cover a possible maglev train between Baltimore and Washington. 

Unless of course Valerio was planning a vacation to Tokyo and he got them to cover a few nights in a hotel + a photog.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Who says TEGNA’s cheap they sent Mike Valerio and a photog to Tokyo to cover a possible maglev train between Baltimore and Washington. 

Unless of course Valerio was planning a vacation to Tokyo and he got them to cover a few nights in a hotel + a photog.

Or...

The developer/contractor/ designer of the project paid the freight for the trip.

A paid press Junket if you will.

Stations news departments used to have some pretty solid journalistic rules about such junkets and who paid for them.

However with the erosion of journalistic rules (and skills) , it's easy for stations to accept all kinds of freebies or cross promotions that blurr the lines of objectivity.

"Oh it's newsworthy because our local Congressman/ Mayor etc.. will be touring also."

That's how they (Managing Editors, and ND's ) justify the trip to feel better in their own minds that it's gonna be a total ,"fluff piece".

For Example...

"The Disneyland/ Disney World WX Live Shots Back Home".

Every station falls for this one...

(but the viewers luv 'em)

Your local station sends your weatherman to do a a wx live shot with Mickey, Goofy and friends....live from the Magic Kingdom.

Disney provides the entire set-up....the camera ,sat-time, the photog, the field producer and even Mickey and a few princesses or animated fish.  Disney puts you, and your kids and spouse into a free room and gives the kids free tickets while your local Weather-Schmoo fills 4 minutes in the C and F block of the newscast.

!00% free promotion disguised as your local weathercast.

It's even more fun during ratings when the park is filled with wx dudes and dudettes from all over the country doing shots back to home.

Disney can handle a whole bunch of those shots...and have a million ways to feed all those shots.

All you need to do is... (Insert Your Hometown WX man here)

Edited by Eat News
Shaun,Ovan-She's a Hipster .. https://youtu.be/ZlAz7EuzViA
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 8:52 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

As a millennial in the market, I don’t find her, or any of the selfie stars Tegna is running through there, relatable. I prefer news to be about the story, not about the person telling it. 

I guess you're in the minority on those sentiments.  I know so many black Millenials in the DFW Metroplex that love her and her frankness about this world.  Many of them said she is the reason why they will stream the newscasts in the morning to hear her on the 9 AM show.  She has over a half-million followers on IG which has substantially grown since the time when she was a radio personality on KC heritage urban station KPRS/Hot 103 Jamz.  I believe it has more to do with (like Sharon Reed did in 2016) she took an older white viewer to task over giving a negative comment about her being a plus size black woman and wearing form-fitting dresses.

Edited by jero23
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jero23 said:

I guess you're in the minority on those sentiments.  I know so many black Millenials in the DFW Metroplex that love her and her frankness about this world.  Many of them said she is the reason why they will stream the newscasts in the morning to hear her on the 9 AM show.  She has over a half-million followers on IG which has substantially grown since the time when she was a radio personality on KC heritage urban station KPRS/Hot 103 Jamz.  I believe it has more to do with (like Sharon Reed did in 2016) she took an older white viewer to task over giving a negative comment about her being a plus size black woman and wearing form-fitting dresses.

BTW, Demetria is not on Good Morning Texas.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

BTW, Demetria is not on Good Morning TexasTexas.

Whichever WFAA morning show she is on, She's very popular with the black and Latino Millenials that I know in DFW.  They love her on there

• Like 1

"Scanner Bud" in San Diego reports that Sandra Maas is gone from KUSI-51.

image.png.deb557ffca1e100038dc2b4a1554a1b6.png

Bud also reports that "Assignment Desk Les( Lester)" is gone from KFMB-TV-8 after 20 years on the night side assignment desk.

Edited by Eat News
GIANT PINK - Tuesday is better than Monday (Feat. YERI of Red Velvet) I NEARBY LIVE .. https://youtu.be/QHoED8sRhXk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eat News said:

Bud also reports that "Assignment Desk Les( Lester)" is gone from KFMB-TV-8 after 20 years on the night side assignment desk.

When was she canned? I just saw her on Friday night anchoring. If true, it's all salary dump, like the departures of Allen and Carlos...

I don't know where else she could go in the market. The only station with an opening is KGTV.

9 minutes ago, A3N said:

When was she canned? I just saw her on Friday night anchoring. If true, it's all salary dump, like the departures of Allen and Carlos...

I don't know where else she could go in the market. The only station with an opening is KGTV.

And I wouldn't be surprised. Kimberly Hunt used to work at KGTV and then went to KUSI only to go back to KGTV. In fact, if Sandra goes to KGTV, how bout opening up the 7 p.m. to Kimberly anchoring with Sandra?

Kimberly and Carol LeBeau went 15 years together. Part deux here?

8 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

And I wouldn't be surprised. Kimberly Hunt used to work at KGTV and then went to KUSI only to go back to KGTV. In fact, if Sandra goes to KGTV, how bout opening up the 7 p.m. to Kimberly anchoring with Sandra?

Kimberly and Carol LeBeau went 15 years together. Part deux here?

I highly doubt today's Scripps will want anything to do with a highly-paid, older anchor. Sad but true.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I highly doubt today's Scripps will want anything to do with a highly-paid, older anchor. Sad but true.

Well you don't have to be mean about it.

image.png.114d76f779c5e9f02bae9900083557c5.png

She may be a bit older...but she can still plow a good sized field,  carry 10 sacks of corn flour, and still pull a wagon to the mill.

And the viewers still like her.

Edited by Eat News
GIANT PINK - Tuesday is better than Monday (Feat. YERI of Red Velvet) I NEARBY LIVE .. https://youtu.be/QHoED8sRhXk

6 hours ago, Eat News said:

Well you don't have to be mean about it.

image.png.114d76f779c5e9f02bae9900083557c5.png

She may be a bit older...but she can still plow a good sized field,  carry 10 sacks of corn flour, and still pull a wagon to the mill.

And the viewers still like her.

That wasn't meant to be a negative or poor reflection on her. Instead it was meant to be a negative reflection on an industry that now sees experience as too costly to be worth it.

Edited by AJClementeFan69
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Eat News said:

wow just logged on and seen this. and before i left the station earlier today that was the rumor going on. Also our EP said maybe she'll go to KGTV since supposedly Virginia Cha contract is almost up. but then again what do i know lol lets wait and see what happens in the next few days/weeks 

Edited by EssDee_media
KUSI wikipedia now has Sandra Maas under Previous section instead of Current