Out & About

TexasTVNews

KDKA's farewell specifically mentions some of the departures being in "engineering" and "master control", which probably means the Master Control Hub is finally fully online. I imagine a lot of the names are from that, and it just so happened their departure lined up with a few other people who decided to leave or retire at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Weeters said:

KDKA's farewell specifically mentions some of the departures being in "engineering" and "master control", which probably means the Master Control Hub is finally fully online. I imagine a lot of the names are from that, and it just so happened their departure lined up with a few other people who decided to leave or retire at the same time.

I wonder if this was just a classy way of CBS announcing layoffs (or buyouts), or if it was mandated as some form of union concession (if these employees were part of one).

• Like 2

CBS hasn’t exactly hidden the fact that they offered buyouts at the network level and at the O&Os. When a company does that, everyone leaves on the same day. Because ... budgets. (I’ve been through this before.) While KDKA wasn’t explicit in mentioning that, that’s what happened. Look at WBBM, where Robert Feder reported multiple buyout takers, as well. It is pretty shocking, I will say, for KDKA to lose that many people. It’s more than 10 percent of their staff. That’s several hundred years of experience leaving to save greedy bean counters a few bucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggo said:

CBS hasn’t exactly hidden the fact that they offered buyouts at the network level and at the O&Os. When a company does that, everyone leaves on the same day. Because ... budgets. (I’ve been through this before.) While KDKA wasn’t explicit in mentioning that, that’s what happened. Look at WBBM, where Robert Feder reported multiple buyout takers, as well. It is pretty shocking, I will say, for KDKA to lose that many people. It’s more than 10 percent of their staff. That’s several hundred years of experience leaving to save greedy bean counters a few bucks. 

No surprise. An article from the NY Post this past March, stated that CBS was going to make $100M in synergies.

CBS’ renewed call for $100 million in cuts has staffers of the broadcast company — which is still reeling from a series of sexual harassment scandals — in a tizzy over who’s in and who’s out, The Post has learned.

“We are reorganizing and thinking about functions that go across multiple divisions,” interim CEO Joe Ianniello told analysts at Deutsche Bank Media and Telecom conference in Palm Beach, Fla., on Tuesday. “We expect to … get $100 million in cost savings,” he said.

Despite this, I don't think the heavy exodus of folks have accumulated to that amount, And before its all over, I believe there's going to be more cuts. .

Same thing going on at KCBS/KCAL Los Angeles. Main Anchor Pat Harvey posted on her Instagram (@patharveynews) that she was out celebrating the retirement of several longtime KCBS/KCAL staffers. One of those is political reporter Dave Bryan. Dave had been with KCAL for 25yrs. I believe his retirement was planned months in advance, but I'm sure the CBS cuts help speed up the process.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:18 AM, rkolsen said:

Okay is this normal for so many people to retire at once? WJZ named 10 people by the anchors and ran a full credits roll with Ocean City, MD scenes.  CBS This Morning had 18 people leaving/retiring and at the Evening News had 30.  I’d assume the two network shows were results of the shows are relaunching and the stations were the buy outs that were occurring. I guess the buyouts had people end on a certain date.  

Nearly all of those folks mentioned by KDKA took buyouts.

Edited by H4UL4U

1 hour ago, Darius22 said:

KQCA Unveiled a new logo Couple days ago. 

Nice way of distancing them selves from MyZombieTV while still maintainging the MyXX name. I'd expected them to bring back the old Q58 name they had during their UPN and early WB days.

1 hour ago, Darius22 said:

KQCA Unveiled a new logo Couple days ago. 

Oh my god what did KCRA 3 do to their sister station’s logo?

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WPLG weekend morning anchor Todd Tongen has died at age 56.

This is so shocked to hear that sad news I watched Todd every weekend mornings on Channel 10 and most recently his 10 Taxi got him famous. So sad for everyone at my ABC station in Miami, saying all our prayers🙏

KUSI evening anchor Anna Laurel returned back from maternity leave about a week ago along with the debut today of KUSI NEWS at 4PM with Laurel and Sandra Maas bringing it to 3 straight hours with the duo anchoring 4-7PM. (Apologies if I put this in the wrong thread) 🤷🏻

6 hours ago, EssDee_media said:

KUSI evening anchor Anna Laurel returned back from maternity leave about a week ago along with the debut today of KUSI NEWS at 4PM with Laurel and Sandra Maas bringing it to 3 straight hours with the duo anchoring 4-7PM. (Apologies if I put this in the wrong thread) 🤷🏻

Wow a 4pm newscast? They might as well bring back the Noon or 7pm news unless they don’t want to mess with KGTV since they are the only 7pm newscast.

5 hours ago, jero23 said:

Why not?  She is very entertaining, young, and relatable to most Millenials in the market.

As a millennial in the market, I don’t find her, or any of the selfie stars Tegna is running through there, relatable. I prefer news to be about the story, not about the person telling it. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

Paywall alert: apparently there is strife at WTVT, according to FTVLive.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/6/5/exclusive-documents-show-problems-at-a-fox-oampo

It doesn't say if its WTVT or not. It could be another station. How do you know its WTVT? Besides, WTVT is probably FOX's strongest O&O they got.

1 minute ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It doesn't say if its WTVT or not. It could be another station. How do you know its WTVT? Besides, WTVT is probably FOX's strongest O&O they got.

It is WTVT,

2 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

It is WTVT,

WOW. 😮

Well, what does it say? I don't have the paywall access so I wouldn't know.

Changing the subject and in a sad way...

Say hello to Paul James for me, Bob Welti. Dick Nourse is all we got left.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46567000/longtime-ksl-weatherman-bob-welti-dead-at-94

According to some confidential documents obtained by FTVLive, there are some big problems at the Fox O&O in Tampa. 

It also appears that everyone seems to be passing the buck as to who is responsible. 

Jonathan Pagliari Production Manager at WTVT and it appears that corporate HR at Fox is trying to put the blame on him for the “toxic and hostile” work environment during the morning newscast. 

FTVLive obtained an internal document that apparently was sent to Pagliari from Regional Director of HR Iris Sierra:

1.png?token-time=1560902400&token-hash=aKstCbUZbK2iQsxMStVp9PD09sfX1rhB6OvjYqj7peI%3D

1.png?token-time=1560902400&token-hash=13e5JiSCqGHCEaYF78B9K7Hm5TKPx63U2L4QZGa2lFM%3D

In another document, obtained by FTVLive,  Production Manager Pagliari responded to the memo from HR and says that some of the incidents happened while he was out on family medical leave. He also pointed out that  the “sexual tone” nature on the morning show is “directly connected to and between news department’s Anchors and talent. 

He also brought up the “alleged affair” between the Executive Producer and an Anchor on the morning show. FTVLive reported on that story last August when the two parted ways with the station.   

Here is the memo that Pagliari sent back to HR in response: 

1.png?token-time=1560902400&token-hash=ewpz5kOvjC1uTK4jfrvT879qCDHR_tVS-AMlO5E1030%3D

1.png?token-time=1560902400&token-hash=eOUxyvhvWs5eU4hWQoZ5EGTFX_w9U4HHEipmw57hjpM%3D

Obviously, there are some ongoing problems in and around the studio during the morning newscasts at WTVT. From looking at the documents, it appears that Fox wants to peg this “toxic” environment on the Production Manager. But, according to the PM, he was not even at the station and was on leave during some of the alleged incidents.  

Is the station looking for a scapegoat? Certainly you can not blame a Production Manager for all the ongoing problems at the station's morning show. But, that appears to be what Fox is doing.  

Is Fox trying to "protect" some news staffers? 

Also, it is never a good thing when all the employees are called in to HR and asked questions. 

FTVLive is digging for more documents and talking to sources. 

You can expect a follow up on this story.