Out & About

TexasTVNews

7 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

Jay Crawford of ESPN is coming to WKYC in the fall and will anchor a "interactive" midday newscast and a (FINALLY!) 5pm newscast coming sometime in 2020.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/entertainment/television/former-espn-anchor-jay-crawford-joins-wkyc-this-fall/95-338dbb05-fae6-4d9d-aa9e-cd4b6df59a63

On top of being from NEO, didn't he call Browns pre-season games last year for WEWS? (Not sure if that means he was employed the team, by the station, or both?)

29 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC is planning to launch the new 5pm newscast in January, according to The Plain Dealer.  No word on who will co-anchor with Jay on that new show, but I think with Channel 3 at 5, it will likely leave both WEWS and WOIO in the dust.

Finally a 5pm for WKYC!

Hate to enter speculation territory (but I will...)  - my money is on Betsy Kling having some sort of regular anchor role. They're using her to anchor regularly now, in addition to doing the weather and cleaning out the office refrigerators.  Even with such a deep bench of anchor talent (Jim Donavan, ex-19'ers Lynna Lai and the underrated Danielle Serino, plus folks like Monica Robins, Leon Bibb and Robin Swoboda on standby), they use Kling a lot.  But surprisingly, she's really good at anchoring.  (Better than Sara Shookman, IMO.)

On another note - it's kinda sad they'd drop Chris Tye for Jay Crawford, since Crawford has to be commanding more of a $$ than Tye. 

This is probably going to be WKYC's new afternoon schedule for the 2019-2020 season

September:

2pm     Kelly Clarkson

3pm     Daily Blast Live x2

4pm     Ellen

5pm     Dr Phil

January:

2pm     Kelly Clarkson

3pm     Dr Phil

4pm     Ellen

5pm     Channel 3 News at 5

Edited by NEOMatrix
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

This is probably going to be WKYC's new afternoon schedule for the 2019-2020 season

September:

2pm     Kelly Clarkson

3pm     Daily Blast Live x2

4pm     Ellen

5pm     Dr Phil

January:

2pm     Kelly Clarkson

3pm     Dr Phil

4pm     Ellen

5pm     Channel 3 News at 5

What about Live on Lakeside and Wendy Williams?  Plus, could Daily Blast Live (and even Sister Circle, which WKYC has kept in overnights since its launch) even return in the fall?

7 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Could WKYC bring in Denise Dufala for a role with the new midday and 5pm newscasts to join Jay and possibly Betsy?

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.  With them going 'cheap' with Sara Shookman after Kris Pickel left, they could've had their chance to hire someone with more experience to co-anchor at 6 & 11 pm.  I do think this is the opportunity to rethink their entire newscast team lineup.  (Including mornings...)

Deep speculation - but could this open the door for Russ Mitchell to go back to New York?  I see the Jay Crawford hire as more of a potential Russ Mitchell replacement (a la Rob Powers on WEWS) than a Jim Donavan replacement. I think they're grooming Camino for that role.

Just now, CLETVFan said:

What about Live on Lakeside and Wendy Williams?  Plus, could Daily Blast Live (and even Sister Circle, which WKYC has kept in overnights since its launch) even return in the fall?

My guess is that Wendy Williams is going to WUAB to fill the 9am hour vacated by Steve Harvey while Live on Lakeside is reduced to 60 minutes. AFAIK, Sister Circle may be taken off the schedule and replaced with DBL come January.

• Like 2

I can see WEWS and WOIO possibly tweaking their anchor lineups between now and January to better compete with WKYC. 

Not sure about WJW with new ownership (finally) coming on board, and not sure what will happen to the on-air look regarding talent.  (Speaking of, I have a feeling they're giving away their red couch from their current set because they're going to get a new on-air look.  Just a guess.) 

17 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

WKYC is planning to launch the new 5pm newscast in January, according to The Plain Dealer.  No word on who will co-anchor with Jay on that new show, but I think with Channel 3 at 5, it will likely leave both WEWS and WOIO in the dust.

Hardly WEWS #2 @5PM..As for WOIO of course.., but WEWS needs to step their game up..Sad that Scripps & TEGNA both look like each other.. WJW does well, but let see how long that last with Nexstar...

5 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Hardly WEWS #2 @5PM..As for WOIO of course.., but WEWS needs to step their game up..Sad that Scripps & TEGNA both look like each other.. WJW does well, but let see how long that last with Nexstar...

It won't be long before Cleveland becomes a market that has stations that I'm not sure I'd even watch since basically all the stations in the market are Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, and Scripps stations.

I agree about how similar Scripps and TEGNA are. Scripps and TEGNA (as Gannett) used to be high-quality broadcasters. Now, they are not only shadows of what they once were, but also ruthless driving forces buying anything they can get their hands on. And Belo is rolling in its grave right now.

At this rate, the time might come where other than the networks, we would just have Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, and Scripps for station groups. It is sad just thinking about it, although this is an industry that seems to be dying at this point.

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, ihEARDtHAT said:

KUSI has moved sports anchor Paul Rudy to mornings as co-anchor with Lauren Phinney on Good Morning San Diego.

Based on comments seen on Facebook, many viewers have voiced their dislike of this move and added that they are "changing the channel".

44 minutes ago, ihEARDtHAT said:

KUSI has moved sports anchor Paul Rudy to mornings as co-anchor with Lauren Phinney on Good Morning San Diego.

Based on comments seen on Facebook, many viewers have voiced their dislike of this move and added that they are "changing the channel".

Yeah lol...

After a good 12 years of "Stable KUSI" ...God only knows what the hell has happened inside.

Somebody must be off the meds up in the front office...or else somebody at KUSI caught Tegna Flu and now wants to upend all the "good will" that was earned over the last decade or so.

Go screw up your product...go piss-off those loyal viewers...I'm sure there is a "vision" in there somewhere.

Just what is the"real" status of Paul Rudy?

Is he a temp fill-in?...or was PPR just ripped out of his hands?

Edited by Eat News
Weki Meki - Picky Picky .. https://youtu.be/Ho7y6Dh_LS8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eat News said:

Yeah lol...

After a good 12 years of "Stable KUSI" ...God only knows what the hell has happened inside.

Somebody must be off the meds up in the front office...or else somebody at KUSI caught Tegna Flu and now wants to upend all the "good will" that was earned over the last decade or so.

Go screw up your product...go piss-off those loyal viewers...I'm sure there is a "vision" in there somewhere.

Just what is the"real" status of Paul Rudy?

Is he a temp fill-in?...or was PPR just ripped out of his hands?

Well my guess is that they're tired of having to replace anchors on that morning show. After Stan Miller left, the AM news has gone to shit. They probably wanted a familiar face with Lauren and honestly, I do like the move. The PPR is aired on Friday's in the fall so it's conceivable that he still ends up hosting the show.

Something major must be happening inside that place. They've gone full pro-Trump. People always knew/suspected of their conservative bias, but now its pretty blatant. Also, the fact that Carlos "retired" suddenly, only to pop up hosting a show with former KUSI anchor Lisa Remillard is quite interesting.

Edited by A3N
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, A3N said:

Well my guess is that they're tired of having to replace anchors on that morning show. After Stan Miller left, the AM news has gone to shit. They probably wanted a familiar face with Lauren and honestly, I do like the move. The PPR is aired on Friday's in the fall so it's conceivable that he still ends up hosting the show.

Something major must be happening inside that place. They've gone full pro-Trump inside that place. People always knew/suspected of their conservative bias, but not its pretty blatant. Also, the fact that Carlos "retired" suddenly, only to pop up hosting a show with former KUSI anchor Lisa Remillard is quite interesting.

This pretty much confirms that.

23 hours ago, Conrad said:

It won't be long before Cleveland becomes a market that has stations that I'm not sure I'd even watch since basically all the stations in the market are Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, and Scripps stations.

I agree about how similar Scripps and TEGNA are. Scripps and TEGNA (as Gannett) used to be high-quality broadcasters. Now, they are not only shadows of what they once were, but also ruthless driving forces buying anything they can get their hands on. And Belo is rolling in its grave right now.

At this rate, the time might come where other than the networks, we would just have Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA, and Scripps for station groups. It is sad just thinking about it, although this is an industry that seems to be dying at this point.

Hopefully WJW can remain the dominant station it has become, and it seems that Nexstar is the best suited to maintain it, and possibly improve on it.

The next best hope is WEWS, as much as Scripps has self-destructed their stations, it's still more tolerable than what Tegna has done.

With WOIO, Gray needs to invest, invest, invest in that place (the talent drain of poached talent hadn't helped), and just cover the news without any gimmickry, mmkay?  Then they can have a chance.

With WKYC, you can only hope Tegna doesn't have any more stupid ideas up their sleeve.  But the past year has shown they are not immune.  While WOIO has been a landing pad for local poached talent, WKYC has landed bigger castoffs like Russ Mitchell and now Jay Crawford.  It's too bad it's taken them this long to do a 5pm show, but Ianding Dr. Phil when they did really put them on the map at the time.   Now all we can hope for is that Tegna doesn't WXIA or WTSP the place, or you'll have WOIO putting them solidly in 4th place...

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Hopefully WJW can remain the dominant station it has become, and it seems that Nexstar is the best suited to maintain it, and possibly improve on it.

The next best hope is WEWS, as much as Scripps has self-destructed their stations, it's still more tolerable than what Tegna has done.

With WOIO, Gray needs to invest, invest, invest in that place (the talent drain of poached talent hadn't helped), and just cover the news without any gimmickry, mmkay?  Then they can have a chance.

With WKYC, you can only hope Tegna doesn't have any more stupid ideas up their sleeve.  But the past year has shown they are not immune.  While WOIO has been a landing pad for local poached talent, WKYC has landed bigger castoffs like Russ Mitchell and now Jay Crawford.  It's too bad it's taken them this long to do a 5pm show, but Ianding Dr. Phil when they did really put them on the map at the time.   Now all we can hope for is that Tegna doesn't WXIA or WTSP the place, or you'll have WOIO putting them solidly in 4th place...

So far WOIO has been doing the right things since Gray took over. I know we were wondering how it would work out, but Raycom definitely did not treat them well in its last few years. WKYC in 4th place is definitely not unrealistic...

Not sure if it was anything but on Insta stories KYW’s Jessica Kartalija had a meeting at the Vernick Coffee Bar for a “business meeting”. The coffee bar is located in the Comcast Technology Center and posted a picture of the Universal Sphere (a 4D experience that’s being tested there and will be rolled out at the theme parks). 

Back By Popular Demand!!!

N.B.G....

"The Vegas Residency"

She's Back!

N.B.G. and Gonzo are heading out to Vegas where Nancy will be the ND for KTNV-13.

L.A. can't be too far away now...

Edited by Eat News
KNBC Sweeps Party 1996 (feat.NBG and a Mime) https://youtu.be/nvY7zOliyjQ

6 hours ago, panewswatcher69 said:

KDKA Pittsburgh said farewell on-air to twenty-four staff members on Friday.

Screenshot_20190601-000556.png

Okay is this normal for so many people to retire at once? WJZ named 10 people by the anchors and ran a full credits roll with Ocean City, MD scenes.  CBS This Morning had 18 people leaving/retiring and at the Evening News had 30.  I’d assume the two network shows were results of the shows are relaunching and the stations were the buy outs that were occurring. I guess the buyouts had people end on a certain date.  

Edited by rkolsen

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Okay is this normal for so many people to retire at once? WJZ named 10 people by the anchors and ran a full credits roll with Ocean City, MD scenes.  CBS This Morning had 18 people leaving/retiring and at the Evening News had 30.  I’d assume the two network shows were results of the shows are relaunching and the stations were the buy outs that were occurring. I guess the buyouts had people end on a certain date.  

I've never seen this many people "leave the building" at one time, without it being a takeover/acquisition or an outright closure or folding.  So odd.  The DFW market has lost this many in recent months at different stations, but not all at once and in one place.