Out & About

TexasTVNews

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

After 50 years at WKRG, It looks like the time is coming for Mel Showers.....

Retirement. It's a bad kept secret but that's what it is. Mel Showers will be retiring from WKRG. Not many anchors can claim to have worked for 50 years in just one station. Don Alhart and Dave Ward are the only ones I can think of right now.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Retirement. It's a bad kept secret but that's what it is. Mel Showers will be retiring from WKRG. Not many anchors can claim to have worked for 50 years in just one station. Don Alhart and Dave Ward are the only ones I can think of right now.

If Jim Vance were still with us, I think he would still be doing the 6pm show on WRC.  I know he stepped down from the 11 a year or so before his cancer diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be hearing Vance telling us about the day at 6pm, damn I miss that man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

If Jim Vance were still with us, I think he would still be doing the 6pm show on WRC.  I know he stepped down from the 11 a year or so before his cancer diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be hearing Vance telling us about the day at 6pm, damn I miss that man.

When he stepped away from the 11pm in 2015, he also said he planned on fully retiring towards the end of 2017 (you can find this in articles from that time), so I doubt he would’ve still been anchoring the 6pm if he were alive today.

• Like 1

Estrella TV will launch newscasts in three markets on Monday, but the setup's a bit strange.

The newscasts will air at 5pm and 11pm in Miami and 4pm and 10pm in Houston and Dallas. Rubén Olague will serve as news director and anchor, while Carolina Sulbarán and Carolina Pereira both come to Estrella TV from Venezuela (Pereira moved to the States last year). The Miami and Houston shows will be anchored by Sulbarán and Olague, while Pereira joins Olague to host the Dallas show.

Definitely sounds like only one market is gonna have live shows.

42 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Estrella TV will launch newscasts in three markets on Monday, but the setup's a bit strange.

The newscasts will air at 5pm and 11pm in Miami and 4pm and 10pm in Houston and Dallas. Rubén Olague will serve as news director and anchor, while Carolina Sulbarán and Carolina Pereira both come to Estrella TV from Venezuela (Pereira moved to the States last year). The Miami and Houston shows will be anchored by Sulbarán and Olague, while Pereira joins Olague to host the Dallas show.

Definitely sounds like only one market is gonna have live shows.

The dual newscast in Dallas and Houston kinda seems little a like the setup that Telemundo used with some of its O&Os before the Comcast purchase caused the network to reinvest in its news departments. The reason for the differing airtimes for the early newscasts in all three cities is based on how Estrella structures its prime time lineup (which effectively runs from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. ET/PT, instead of starting it at 7:00). The three O&Os would, respectively, be covering up the entertainment news program En Vivo and reruns of the sketch comedy series LOL with those additions.

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Sharon Reed is leaving WGCL in Atlanta!

FTVLive has the story here.

If they don't give the main anchor job to Tracye Hutchins after years and years of being passed over, then that station is f**ked in the head.

As expected...

https://www.wkrg.com/news/mobile-county/mel-showers-retiring-from-6pm-and-10pm-newscasts/1954122762?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WKRG&fbclid=IwAR2wuqUtQyQC0WGMxNR3seZvN-4LBvb0oJk75HEJ_eYfbQaPO18i8H4nR2A

He will still be an Anchor Emeritus after May....and Peter Albrecht will add 6 and 10pm to his anchoring duties.

And to think that Peter was one of the ones let go from NBC 15 12 years ago.....

More than anything the job will go to Shon Gables.

to me it seems like Tracye Hutchins actually enjoys doing the morning show.

Can't like I got sad a lil bit once Sharon announced shes leaving

I really enjoyed her work shes very passionate.

My guess her next stop is for the big time CNN or NBC Morning Show

I'd be shocked if she stays in Atlanta (WSB or WXIA ect)

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see who'll replace Reed.  If they went with an inside pick, it'd likely be Shon Gables, Tracye Hutchens, Gurvir Dhindsa, or Karyn Greer being considered.  Not sure of the chances Stephany Fisher would be rehired.  Or CBS 46 could go with an outside pick, it'd likely be someone from a competing station, or from a different TV market.  It'll also be interesting to see whether Reed has landed a job at a TV station in a bigger TV market or one of the networks, if she's staying in the TV news business.

13 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

I wonder where Sharon will end up next??

Could a clue be in another post on today's FTV Live?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/26/black-news-channel-to-launch-this-fall

Or...is her ego so large she's headed towards something a bit more....mainstream?  I'm not so sure though since she undoubtedly has a very "urban" style...and was a major component to WOIO's success in the mid-2000's.  (Her sparring with Mike Trivisonno was classic.)  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

It'll be interesting to see who'll replace Reed.  If they went with an inside pick, it'd likely be Shon Gables, Tracye Hutchens, Gurvir Dhindsa, or Karyn Greer being considered.  Not sure of the chances Stephany Fisher would be rehired.  Or CBS 46 could go with an outside pick, it'd likely be someone from a competing station, or from a different TV market.  It'll also be interesting to see whether Reed has landed a job at a TV station in a bigger TV market or one of the networks, if she's staying in the TV news business.

Karyn Greer is a good choice but pretty unlikely. She was, however, a main anchor at WGCL weeknights in the 90s when the station was WGNX alongside Steve Dawson, who later went on to WHBQ in Memphis and then retired.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, ttvn2000 said:

Could a clue be in another post on today's FTV Live?

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/4/26/black-news-channel-to-launch-this-fall

Or...is her ego so large she's headed towards something a bit more....mainstream?  I'm not so sure though since she undoubtedly has a very "urban" style...and was a major component to WOIO's success in the mid-2000's.  (Her sparring with Mike Trivisonno was classic.)  

Maybe she's going back to WOIO? I mean Gray is trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by KentBrockman

On 4/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

FTVlive is saying Shon Gables is likely to get Sharon’s spot and that Tracye Hutchins would remain on mornings.

Meanwhile, just a few miles across town...

WAGA wins a 2018 Peabody Award  -- their third after Paradise Saved (1982) and Singled Out (1999) -- for $2 Tests: Bad Arrests

UPDATE: Fox 5 will air the $2 Tests stories as a half-hour special this Thursday at 7:00 pm; why didn't WWL do the same for their multi-part "Facing Reality" with Bill Elder (which won that very same Peabody in 1993)?

Edited by johnnya2k6

KXAS has found its replacement for the departed Mark Fein on their morning news.  It's Laura Harris, who comes to Fort Worth by way of Atlanta, Charleston (SC), and Tampa.  She will co-anchor with longtime KXASer Deborah Ferguson, making up a rare all-female anchor team in the market.

https://www.guidelive.com/tv/2019/04/29/laura-harris-nbc5-kxas-channel-5-new-anchor-two-woman-morning-show

With the recent shooting at a San Diego area Synagogue, KFMB, CBS-8 San Diego, has decided to not use the name or image of the alleged shooter in stories until the legal proceedings occur.  They state that victims (those injured or just present at the shooting) can be traumatized by the repeated use of the shooter's name or photo.

I have not seen any other San Diego station do the same. 

So MSNBC had on Philip Crowther reporting from Caracas, Venezuela.  He was listed as an Associated Press International Affiliate Reporter.  So how is that different from a regular reporter or is he a reporter that is designated for doing live shots for various media entities?