Out & About

TexasTVNews

No I didn't. Two women at 6pm? What's wrong with just having Dennis and Karen (or Natalie) do the 5, 6, and 10? Who does Natalie replace? I can't recall who left.

Oh and Angela Hill should not have retired. She obviously didn't enjoy retirement because now she's with WWL radio.

It was a two female anchor pair with Angela & Karen at 6pm, prior to her departure. Angela also did the 5pm with Dennis; while Karen was on at 10 with Dennis. I do find it very gutsy to move Karen off the 10pm for some new anchor, but I guess they want to keep all three anchoring at least two of the three evening broadcasts. And for me I don't have any problem with that.

It was a two female anchor pair with Angela & Karen at 6pm, prior to her departure. Angela also did the 5pm with Dennis; while Karen was on at 10 with Dennis. I do find it very gutsy to move Karen off the 10pm for some new anchor, but I guess they want to keep all three anchoring at least two of the three evening broadcasts. And for me I don't have any problem with that.

oh okay, I guess it makes sense now

Looks like Janet Zappala is no longer with XETV. She was anchoring the 10pm newscast shortly before November sweeps began and her bio was put up on SD6's website just a few weeks ago. Now it looks like she's gone. Very surprising to say the least, i'm curious to know what led to her departure.

Yeah, very weird. It was almost like they hired her just for sweeps to see if she would work out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/championsleague/story/fox-sports-renews-champions-league-europa-league-rights-through-2017-18-season-121513?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FOXSoccer

FOX renew their contract to broadcast the UEFA champions League and Europa League from 2015-2016 through 2017-2018.

Figured that would happen. Fox really wanted to maintain what was left of their soccer credibility leading up to the FIFA World Cup (which they have the rights to in 2018 and 2022) plus this will help build up Fox Sports 1 and 2.

I would've preferred NBC getting them instead, the hardcore soccer fanatics are upset as well because they wanted NBC to get the rights as well. I don't blame them, Fox always seemed to do a (for lack of a better word) half-assed job with their coverage of UEFA Soccer, plus their lack of streaming.

Figured that would happen. Fox really wanted to maintain what was left of their soccer credibility leading up to the FIFA World Cup (which they have the rights to in 2018 and 2022) plus this will help build up Fox Sports 1 and 2.

I would've preferred NBC getting them instead, the hardcore soccer fanatics are upset as well because they wanted NBC to get the rights as well. I don't blame them, Fox always seemed to do a (for lack of a better word) half-assed job with their coverage of UEFA Soccer, plus their lack of streaming.

I agree. Either NBC and/or ESPN would do a better job covering both competitions than FOX, and plus ESPN's and NBC's streaming service let you log in based on what TV provider you're using and you don't have to pay a dime.

I agree. Either NBC and/or ESPN would do a better job covering both competitions than FOX, and plus ESPN's and NBC's streaming service let you log in based on what TV provider you're using and you don't have to pay a dime.

Fox's streaming service *is* coming...soon. I think it may be working for some but is in the new carriage deals. Unfortunately my cable provider isn't in there yet—the only two large ones they have are Comcast and AT&T.

Fox's streaming service *is* coming...soon. I think it may be working for some but is in the new carriage deals. Unfortunately my cable provider isn't in there yet—the only two large ones they have are Comcast and AT&T.

Actually, they released it a couple months ago for iOS, but not for Android. And it's called FOX Sports GO.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fox-sports-go/id711074743?mt=8

This probably don't mean much but this is somewhat big news relating to a certain group that rarely use subchannels to air another's content.

Back in late October, London Broadcasting's flagship station KTXD decided not to renew carriage of Weigel Broadcasting's Me-TV network on its main channel, in favor of more local programming. This cause a uproar to the viewers in the Metroplex who were fans of the network. Today, the B&C states that Weigel announce their new affiliate will be.....KTXA 21. They will carry the subnet on Monday.

What shocking about this is, except for WCBS, KYW & KCBS which they're testing the CBS Plus service on its point-twos, CBS usually don't typically use any sort of subchannels. The last time KTXA used a subchannel was in 2009 when KTVT went back to VHF 11 and many viewers couldn't receive its VHF signal. That's when CBS had to temporary relay KTVT to 21.2. This would be the very first time that CBS is carry an outsider's subnet on its owned channels.

Resistance to programming sub channels has to end sometime. Even Fox got into the game with Weigel (Movies!) and AccuWeather (in some markets). It's an additional revenue stream and I think it can be pretty well argued that it's a negligible ratings drain on the main channel (especially in large markets where each network and netlet has a full-power affiliate).

If viewers aren't watching the main channel, they're aren't going to watch. But they might stumble onto the sub while searching through the cable listings. Might as well capture the ratings and ad revenue instead of giving it up to the cable company. As long as the sub offers good programming (and ABC I'm looking at you as an example of crappy subchannel programming) the viewers might stick around.

Resistance to programming sub channels has to end sometime. Even Fox got into the game with Weigel (Movies!) and AccuWeather (in some markets). It's an additional revenue stream and I think it can be pretty well argued that it's a negligible ratings drain on the main channel (especially in large markets where each network and netlet has a full-power affiliate).

If viewers aren't watching the main channel, they're aren't going to watch. But they might stumble onto the sub while searching through the cable listings. Might as well capture the ratings and ad revenue instead of giving it up to the cable company. As long as the sub offers good programming (and ABC I'm looking at you as an example of crappy subchannel programming) the viewers might stick around.

Hopefully, the sales of the Dyle TV tuner will be disappointing. In my chat with the GM of one of our local (non-O&O) stations which is underutilizing its subchannel bandwidth, this is what is holding them up from putting a service like Antenna TV on their .2 subchannel which currently runs an automated weather loop (and E/I programming at the worst possible time any station could schedule it).

Hopefully, the sales of the Dyle TV tuner will be disappointing. In my chat with the GM of one of our local (non-O&O) stations which is underutilizing its subchannel bandwidth, this is what is holding them up from putting a service like Antenna TV on their .2 subchannel which currently runs an automated weather loop (and E/I programming at the worst possible time any station could schedule it).

Pardon my ignorance, but does Dyle TV not work with subchannels?

Pardon my ignorance, but does Dyle TV not work with subchannels?

Dyle TV uses a portion of the 19.5 MBps bandwidth of a station's data stream. Many stations have a 1080i primary HD channel, a .2 subchannel, and ATSC M/H DTV (such as the Dyle system). The GM's logic was having enough room for Dyle to grow and add more channels if it became successful, and that would mean dropping the .2 subchannel entirely instead of degrading the PQ of the primary HD channel.

Whether a station has heavy subchannel penetration or not varies depending on the market. Oklahoma City is one of several markets that have no ATSC-M/H stations of any kind, and is heavily represented by subchannel services. Except for KWTV, which carries a news rebroadcast channel on its 9.2 feed, most of the full-power and LPTV stations (except for KOCB, KXOC-LP, and for now, KAUT-TV) have subchannels carrying affiliations with multicast-only networks that require slightly more bandwith than a locally-operated service.

I think I know who you're talking about. :)

With regards to subchannels starting to pop up on holdouts (ie:Fox, CBS). I think its two fold. First, the technology has improved. Newer encoders allow for better compression. Allowing the main channel to less bandwidth with no visible degradation. There by freeing up space for new subchannels. Second, I think with the incentive auction starting to take hold a few years ago there became a "use it or lose it" thought process by some in the industry. Plus there are some broadcasters are now making (a little) money on their subchannels. So, you couple all these things together and some of the holdout are bound to eventually change their strategy.

Dyle TV uses a portion of the 19.5 MBps bandwidth of a station's data stream. Many stations have a 1080i primary HD channel, a .2 subchannel, and ATSC M/H DTV (such as the Dyle system). The GM's logic was having enough room for Dyle to grow and add more channels if it became successful, and that would mean dropping the .2 subchannel entirely instead of degrading the PQ of the primary HD channel.

You are in the Phoenix market, Right?

I understand what the GM you spoke to is saying. But, I think they are feeding you a bit of a line. Using data from Trip Ericson's Rabbit Ears site KPNX's main channel takes up 13.85mbps, the weather subchannel is 2.9mbps and the Mobile (or, Dyle) channel takes up 1.83mbps. So, it's not like the mobile channel is picking up much bandwidth.

Maybe the GM could pick up the phone and call one of his sister stations to figure out how they are able to do it. Again using the same site for data. Their sister station WBIR, in Knoxville runs MEtv on their subchannel forgoing the "weather subchannel" while maintaining a mobile (Dyle) channel. The bandwidth is divided up almost the same way as KPNX between main, sub & mobile channels. But, what if I still want to maintain the "weather subchannel" you ask? Well call your sister station, WUSA in Washington DC. They maintain 2 subchannels plus there mobile (Dyle) channel. The main channel is 11.6mbps, the Bounce subchannel is 2.5mbps, the "weather subchannel" is 1.4mbps and the mobile (Dyle) channel is again 1.83mbps. Heck, I have the KSTP/KSTC duopoly here in my market that is running two main HD feeds, 4 SD subchannels and 4 mobile channels between their 2 RF channels. So, there are ways to do it.

Dyle has it's issues but, preventing subchannels really isn't one of them.

EDIT: I see you were talking about KPHO not KPNX. Either way my point still stands. The "Dyle/Mobile TV" excuse has little leg to stand on in my eyes.

EDIT: I see you were talking about KPHO not KPNX. Either way my point still stands. The "Dyle/Mobile TV" excuse has little leg to stand on in my eyes.

I believe the GM is trying to defend his earlier decisions, how obsolete they are (EDIT: the weather channel was put online by their previous GM, who is now running WBNS, which has--surprise--Antenna TV!). Their sister station in Hartford is running 1080i HD, a weather subchannel, and another SD CBS simulcast, and Meredith's Nashville station has 1080i HD, a widescreen SD subchannel network (Heartland), and ATSC M/H. Me-TV is a bona fide hit in the Phoenix market, and now with Antenna TV now airing more traditional classic shows and not just the Norman Lear "urban" sitcoms (which I do enjoy personally), it would be a winner here too.

KPHO has a pending application to maximize their OTA signal (being held up by government shutdowns and Mexican authorizations--it's been almost two years since they submitted the application), and that's where (I believe) the ATSC M/H signal comes into play. KPHO is already using variable bitrates for their HD channel, there is no excuse for not doing so on the .2 subchannel.

So it sounds like Meredith leaves it up to the individual stations on what to do with subchannels and KPHO's GM just doesn't want to dump the weather channel.

I doubt if anyone at KPHO, whether it be the GM or the News Director (by the way, did they ever hire a new one?), would care if the weather channel went away, the way they don't promote it and hastily program the "three-hour rule" E/I shows. I do believe the GM's word that it's a placeholder until they know if Dyle is a flop or not.

I doubt if anyone at KPHO, whether it be the GM or the News Director (by the way, did they ever hire a new one?), would care if the weather channel went away, the way they don't promote it and hastily program the "three-hour

So let me get this straight. This GM doesn't want add another sub channel for fear of degrading the main channels PQ? And, this GM doesn't want to put any programming of real value on the .2 for fear they may need to discontinue the .2 down road for a bunch of additional mobile TV channels? You can do both subs (even multiple subs) & mobile. There are plenty of examples of this across the country. It's even more ridiculous when you take into account they have figured out how to use variable bitrates. Not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to understand this GM's logic. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Man looking through the data over on Trip's site I can see why you have a frustration with lack of subs and underutilized bandwidth in your market. What's up with that Belo duopoly? Only One subchannel and one mobile channel between those two RF channels?

I doubt if anyone at KPHO, whether it be the GM or the News Director (by the way, did they ever hire a new one?), would care if the weather channel went away, the way they don't promote it and hastily program the "three-hour rule" E/I shows. I do believe the GM's word that it's a placeholder until they know if Dyle is a flop or not.

They just promoted the assistant ND last month.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic