Out & About

TexasTVNews

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

That is probably the most unique station in America, and I'm sure they have resisted attempts for other companies like Nexstar and Gray to acquire it.

Is there another school in America that owns a commercial network affiliated television station in America? I'd would also wonder whether Mizzou has contemplated selling KOMU whevever the budget scissors come a calling. Moreover, their competition in Central Missouri is Sinclair & NPG.

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

Is there another school in America that owns a commercial network affiliated television station in America? I'd would also wonder whether Mizzou has contemplated selling KOMU whevever the budget scissors come a calling.

Isn't it self funding like the athletic programs?

1 hour ago, nomadcowatbk said:

Isn't it self funding like the athletic programs?

I believe so. It’s a commercial station and I imagine if the university completely subsidized its operation the others would complain to the FCC.

Edited by rkolsen

34 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

I believe so. It’s a commercial station and I imagine if the university completely subsidized its operation the others would complain to the FCC.

They could always have a bake sale...if the budget gets cut.

image.png.d891ddec470fad9acd43922bfca7c9f9.png

Edited by Eat News
(Heize) - She's Fine(Full Album) .. https://youtu.be/lum-aaCW1Tg

I doubt Missouri has ever seriously entertained the idea of selling KOMU. That journalism program attracts students from all over the central U.S., students who are willing to pay out-of-state tuition to be a part of that professional network. Even KBIA expanded to a second radio station (bought from Stephens College). As hostile as Missouri's legislature is to education in general, I think they view the Mizzou journalism program with pride.

---------------

On 4/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, JoseRM303 said:

Married KSHB co-anchors Rhiannon Ally & Mike Marusarz stepping down from anchor desk; Christa Dubill & Kevin Holmes to replace them:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/married-co-anchors-mike-marusarz-and-rhiannon-ally-step-down-from-kshb-replacements-names/213809

At least they got some cake on the way out the door. "Good luck." (I have no idea why my two posts were merged)

Edited by TheRob

Former South Bend mayor and former investigative mentor at WMAQ channel 5 Pete Buttigieg is running for president in 2020. Buttigieg was called by former channel 5 reporter Renee Ferguson as a his mentor and friend. 

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/04/15/nbc-5-mentor-renee-ferguson-boosts-pete-buttigieg-campaign/

Not exactly sure when this started but WSFL is doing morning weather updates and news updates throughout the day at the :59 mark of the hour. I haven't really caught the weather updates but the news updates I have seen so far are branded under "Inside South Florida" (their weekend show) with tech and sports news. Hopefully Scripps will use their WPTV team for some local news content.

Edited by USNewsie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The deal was held up because it was challenged by a petitioner. And then after the FCC approved Weigel's sale in September, the petitioner filed an Application for Review a month later.

The end of this deal finally closes the books on spectrum speculator OTA Broadcasting, the firm that bought several bottom-dwelling stations earlier this decade, hoping to cash-in on the incentive auction.

So, the challenge had absolutely nothing to do with Weigel or the stations themselves, but only OTA?

• Like 1

Speaking of Weigel, we already have a thread about this so go talk about it here but for those who are still living under a rock...

WCIU will soon become The CW's newest network affiliate in Chicago, displacing WPWR which will go back to being the main MyTV affiliate and *possibly* rebrand as either FOX 32 Plus or FOX 32 Xtra.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/04/18/weigel-broadcastings-wciu-become-cw-network-affiliate/

Edited by TheRolyPoly

54 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Speaking of Weigel, we already have a thread about this so go talk about it here but for those who are still living under a rock...

WCIU will soon become The CW's newest network affiliate in Chicago, displacing WPWR which will go back to being the main MyTV affiliate and *possibly* rebrand as either FOX 32 Plus or FOX 32 Xtra.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/04/18/weigel-broadcastings-wciu-become-cw-network-affiliate/

A wee bit surprising to me. With WGN's sports content going exclusive to cable (either on NBC Sports Chicago or Marquee), you'd think that they'd try and get that affiliation back, but I guess the Nexstar merger might have complicated things a bit?

I'm not sure what's happening at KTVI, but KPLR hasn't had any 12:00 newscast rundowns in the system this week. The aircheck recordings are blank. I assume KTVI's 11:00 news is just straight-up re-run on KPLR right now (the two were mostly the same anyway). I don't see evidence of anything else airing in its place.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, JoseRM303 said:

Married KSHB co-anchors Rhiannon Ally & Mike Marusarz stepping down from anchor desk; Christa Dubill & Kevin Holmes to replace them:

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/married-co-anchors-mike-marusarz-and-rhiannon-ally-step-down-from-kshb-replacements-names/213809

On 4/10/2019 at 8:23 PM, Asomrjsurf said:

FTVLive saying the station "decided to part ways" with the two is a stretch at best (but what else is new for him?). They have three kids that are all like, under the age of 5. They both worked primetime in TV news. How they ever had time to be with their kids is a mystery to me. Good for them though focusing on their children. I'm sure it was tough working their schedule with such young children.

10 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Does this mean KCTV's 7pm news is gone?

they probably expect Spectrum Sports KC to go away soon, and most of it's content has been reruns for the past few years, but why launch it during the slower time for sports in KC? why not wait until football season?

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/article213963899.html

Edited by nomadcowatbk

18 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

FTVLive saying the station "decided to part ways" with the two is a stretch at best (but what else is new for him?). They have three kids that are all like, under the age of 5. They both worked primetime in TV news. How they ever had time to be with their kids is a mystery to me. Good for them though focusing on their children. I'm sure it was tough working their schedule with such young children.

I’m pretty sure it was their choice to leave. Doing 3 shows a night and I doubt they had a dinner break with enough time to go home and see their kids probably weighed on them. If they do find another gig I imagine it will be reasonable hours 

And at different times. Looks like just 30 minutes the show. Spectrum Sports could move to second channel of it. The News channel hasen't launched yet.  They need to keep Newscast and add back 7am but go to 9am.also expand Weekends to an hour and add some Co-Anchors on Weekends and Noon/4PM.