Out & About

TexasTVNews

52 minutes ago, MikeBucc said:

I saw this too and I have to assume it’s because ratings must’ve been so bad for their 10pm on My4 that they decided to put a newscast on when there’s no other competition? 

Probably a bit of that, and a bit of maneuvering for more political ad bucks. We are getting close to another election cycle. 🙄

I mentioned this in the TEGNA thread, so I'll post this right here: A new show is coming to WGRZ this Wednesday, April 10th at 4pm. It's called Most Buffalo hosted by Kate Welshofer and weathercaster Maria Genero. The Ellen DeGeneres Show will move to 3pm and Dr. Phil will move to 2pm replacing Dateline.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/02/ellen-being-moved-on-wgrz-in-favor-of-4-p-m-local-production/

48 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Probably a bit of that, and a bit of maneuvering for more political ad bucks. We are getting close to another election cycle. 🙄

It seems to me that none of the newscasts added for the last election cycle were dropped as I was expecting a few to do.  

10 hours ago, USNewsie said:

Some changes coming to WTVJ starting tomorrow. Johnny Archer moves to mornings from weekend evenings. No word yet on who he will replace. Angie Lassman goes back to 11 am and 4 pm.

He’s not replacing nobody. He’s an anchor from the alert desk so breaking news, information just coming in type of stories. Roxanne and Sheli are still the Main morning anchors.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Weeters said:

This is Albany. The bigger political bump comes while the State Senate and Assembly are in session and ads targeted towards pushing policy hit the air in the event it reaches both voters and the elected. While a lot of the New York counties in the DMA swung from Obama to Trump, it is still a solid Democratic state thanks to Downstate. If John Faso takes on Antonio Delgado for his old seat or if the Democrats find a viable person to take Elise Stefanik on, this may be a different story though Stefanik's money probably would go more to WPTZ than the Albany stations. Only one of the six Senate seats in the DMA (Markey, MA) is up and Albany stations never run MA/VT political ads.

I think this is one half "we're getting killed at 10:00" and the other half setting up things for the future. If WNYT soon releases some report of an anchor swap between 5:30 and 11:00, then the other half would be "Jim Kambrich wants to get home two hours earlier".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

Well that was sudden and unexpected.  Given WGCL's history it's hard to say whether this is just the typical WGCL revolving door or if he did something bad.

9 minutes ago, atlnews2 said:

Well that was sudden and unexpected.  Given WGCL's history it's hard to say whether this is just the typical WGCL revolving door or if he did something bad.

Theory: Ossmann found out about the secret notes shared between Reed and Roberts and informed management.

Edited by Georgie56

16 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

Paul has literally worked for every news station in Atlanta. It must just be him. 

11 hours ago, TheWatcherAtl said:

Paul has literally worked for every news station in Atlanta. It must just be him. 

Could Karen Minton come out or early retirement and join WGCL, or are we ready for new chief meteorologist Ella Dorsey?

Edited by johnnya2k6

1 hour ago, johnnya2k6 said:

Could Karen Minton come out or early retirement and join WGCL, or are we ready for new chief meteorologist Ella Dorsey?

I'm not much of a fan of Ella Dorsey but it's all but said she'll get that position.

Not as the chief meteorologist but personally me, I would love to see WGCL give a few meteorologist spots to Bobeth Yates she's multi-talented. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

So wait, KJTV is not owned by Ramar? I thought they were. Ramar has owned KJTV since day one.

Ramar still owns them, but (and maybe because I am way out of loop at times) but I like what they have done with the station

Looks like the University of Missouri wants to build a new building for NBC affiliate KOMU. The catch is that the building will also house the local newspaper, the NPR station and other outlets the university owns as well. The journalism school just posted a rendering of the building on its social media accounts. Here’s an older article I found about the plans (you’ll have to scroll down to find the stuff I’m referencing): https://www.abc17news.com/news/mu-reveals-top-priority-projects-in-five-year-capital-plan-hopes-to-build-new-journalism-building/654490385

40 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Looks like the University of Missouri wants to build a new building for NBC affiliate KOMU. The catch is that the building will also house the local newspaper, the NPR station and other outlets the university owns as well. The journalism school just posted a rendering of the building on its social media accounts. Here’s an older article I found about the plans (you’ll have to scroll down to find the stuff I’m referencing): https://www.abc17news.com/news/mu-reveals-top-priority-projects-in-five-year-capital-plan-hopes-to-build-new-journalism-building/654490385

It's amazing to think that the Univ. of Missouri owns both an NBC/CW and an NPR station. It's so HIGHLY unusual. But so is the Univ. of Alabama which has a This TV and an NPR station.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It's amazing to think that the Univ. of Missouri owns both an NBC/CW and an NPR station. It's so HIGHLY unusual. But so is the Univ. of Alabama which has a This TV and an NPR station.

They were just at the right place at the right time. In the early 50s the market need its own tv stations and the University was the only one who stepped up to do it. Certainly paid off for them in the long run.

I can’t imagine today any of the big 4 allowing one of their affiliates to be mostly run by students, in any market for that matter. 

On second thought though... student reporters=free labor. So maybe that will be Nexstar or Tegna’s next move. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

That is probably the most unique station in America, and I'm sure they have resisted attempts for other companies like Nexstar and Gray to acquire it.