Out & About

TexasTVNews

22 minutes ago, PelicanGuy said:

Here'e your yearly Mardi Gras costumes from the WWL-TV crew.

You forgot a couple:

Meteorologist Chris Franklin as "Where's Waldo" & AM Anchor Leslie Spoon as "Carmen Sandiego".

And Reporter Meghan Kee as "Little Red Riding Hood".

The Times-Picayune have the rest, including the ones from WVUE.

• Like 1

Over in Mobile (where Mardi Gras actually started), they do their fair share of parade coverage as well.  WKRG has always blown out their schedule from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with live coverage, while WALA and WPMI do 4 hours of coverage from 10 to 2.   WEAR doesn't do anything on Fat Tuesday but they do air a parade the Saturday before from Pensacola.

WJTC takes things a step further and actually airs many of the parades in the days leading up to Mardi Gras.... I don't think even any stations in New Orleans do that.

As for costumes, WPMI plays it up the most, but instead of characters it's the traditional Mardi Gras garb with lots of green, purple and gold.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Over in Mobile (where Mardi Gras actually started), they do their fair share of parade coverage as well.  WKRG has always blown out their schedule from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with live coverage, while WALA and WPMI do 4 hours of coverage from 10 to 2.   WEAR doesn't do anything on Fat Tuesday but they do air a parade the Saturday before from Pensacola.

WJTC takes things a step further and actually airs many of the parades in the days leading up to Mardi Gras.... I don't think even any stations in New Orleans do that.

As for costumes, WPMI plays it up the most, but instead of characters it's the traditional Mardi Gras garb with lots of green, purple and gold.

Wow really? They still air coverage? That's interesting and fascinating.

53 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

And we have another expansion from Fox.

WAGA is expanding Good Day Atlanta to the 10am hour, beginning April 15.

Are there any big-market (O/O, or otherwise) Fox stations left that aren't 6 hours for their morning show, or knocking on it?

Edited by east-tx-tv

40 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I don't know if anybody know this, but ABC might considering bring two legendary soaps back from the dead.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-return-abc-news/

I’ve been reading on ABC’s Facebook page that a lot of people want The Chew back. I’m not sure why.

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Wow really? They still air coverage? That's interesting and fascinating.

Interestingly enough, the coverage has ramped up in recent years to keep up with WKRG's day-long coverage.  WALA didn't even do coverage until WPMI and WJTC started ramping up theirs.

And WPMI's remote location is based out of WALA's longtime studios in Downtown Mobile (they moved in 2002 and the building houses an engineering firm).  WALA sets up shop on a hotel balcony across the street and WKRG"s has been based out of the Exploreum museum.....all of which are on the parade routes.

2 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

I’ve been reading on ABC’s Facebook page that a lot of people want The Chew back. I’m not sure why.

Because GMA Day/Strahan and Sara/Why Does This Show Have Tables In The Audience?!! is a complete mess and it's lost a quarter of the viewers with what is the local advertorial hour format taken to a national extreme that plain doesn't work. At least The Chew had some originality and an educational remit to get it by, while its replacement is just plain filler.

The Chew was more popular than a lot of people gave it credit for.  My dad loved the show and was sad when they took it off, to the point of hating Strahan.

I personally wish they’d just do an hour of game shows but that’s just me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, HulkieD said:

The Chew was more popular than a lot of people gave it credit for.  My dad loved the show and was sad when they took it off, to the point of hating Strahan.

I personally wish they’d just do an hour of game shows but that’s just me.

Honestly, The Chew was taken down by the Mario Batali sexual harassment claims. If Mario hadn't been accused, then The Chew would still probably be on the air.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I don't know if anybody know this, but ABC might considering bring two legendary soaps back from the dead.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/all-my-children-one-life-to-live-return-abc-news/

I think this time if they tried streaming them again, it would work. Obviously, Disney would use Hulu to stream them on since they're adult oriented. I can't see them coming back on broadcast television unless they were first-run syndicated (and even when it was common to see scripted content in first run syndication, has there ever been a daily soap that aired in first run syndication?)

49 minutes ago, 24994J said:

As someone that thoroughly enjoyed The Chew, the last months after Mario Batali's firing were rough. The show would've needed a little retooling and additional co-hosts.

I'm in agreement with this as well, but I can't see them coming back unless again, it was either streamed or aired in syndication. The Chew would probably have at least a remote chance of making it if you assembled the right team (although it wouldn't air on ABC O&Os since they're already crowded enough as it is, to the extent that Tamron Hall is going to air on WCIU). 

6 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I read this in the last couple of days on one of the major soap news sites.  Most comments I've seen since are either yeah-right or I'll-know-it-when-I-see-it, or similar.  It's been a while since their broadcast finales (All My Children in 2011, One Life to Live in 2012) so there would be some storyline catching-up to do.  Who from the casts would be available?  Good question.  Is Susan Lucci wanting a regular acting grind again?  Or Erika Slezak?  Would it be on TV, online, or both?  The big *big* question:  production costs.  Will they have to resort to the mass improvising that Guiding Light had to do before it was cancelled (taping shows with small non-studio-traditional cameras, using offices and basement storage space at CBS as sets, taping on location in a small hamlet like Peapack, NJ, etc.)?  It would be nice to see a cancelled soap come back (there are at least 2 I'd like to see again, but, oh well....), but a lot of moving parts would have to come together and Disney (because ABC owns the rights to the 2 soaps) would want to see revenue.  There are many soap fans out there that want those 2 and other cancelled soaps back.  Too bad there aren't some good writers out there that can write AMC or OLTL or soaps in general, past this cliffhanger.

"And now, the continuing story of....."