Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 2/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, CRThell said:

WMYT began delaying its programming to 11pm to 1am in September in favor of Modern Family, Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men reruns. Can’t really blame them even if it is Fox O&O market.

10 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Some of the momentum for WSYX was also lost once WBNS poached their talent (Yolanda Harris and Pete Scalia) and sterilized them.  (You won't see this kind of "personality" when Yolanda is paired with Jerry Revish.)

Hmm. Yolanda Harris, I would say, but Pete I can't co-sign, However,  Yolanda plays second fiddle at BNS where she was the mainstay at WSYX.  I was told many told her (Yolanda) not to go over to BNS. It might be #1

but inside it, a mess and many are still wondering how long the Wolfe family going to keep the station in their hands.  Yolanda was a band-aid to keep the machine pumping, but nothing last forever.  Remember SYX was fighting with

CMH for #2.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Hmm. Yolanda Harris, I would say, but Pete I can't co-sign, However,  Yolanda plays second fiddle at BNS where she was the mainstay at WSYX.  I was told many told her (Yolanda) not to go over to BNS. It might be #1

but inside it, a mess and many are still wondering how long the Wolfe family going to keep the station in their hands.  Yolanda was a band-aid to keep the machine pumping, but nothing last forever.  Remember SYX was fighting with

CMH for #2.

If I recall correctly, BNS was trying to get Yolanda as early as 2012, to replace Andrea Cambern.  Perhaps if she would’ve joined them then, the energy could’ve remained. (Kristyn Hartman simply wasn’t a Cambern clone, and it didn’t work out - but I do feel badly for how she left...given the 10 still dominated with her at the helm.)

BNS is a tough station to watch...because truth be told, any energy and personality that station had left with Andrea Cambern.

(But I digress...Mitch Jacob will have his work cut out fo him at WSMV.  I remember his work at WTOL after his stint in Phoenix.)

Edited by ttvn2000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, d247 said:

KTUL veteran Charles Ely is retiring tonight after 46 years in television, over a quarter-century of that time at channel 8 (starting in Columbus at WBNS, then in Atlanta, and later Dallas at KXAS) 

Officially retired during the 6pm newscast in which Channel 8 renamed the Newscenter (newsroom) after him.

• Like 3

Media General tanking WCMH certainly helped WSYX's cause. 

But under Mitch Jacob, WSYX was Sinclair's golden boy getting all of the tools and expanded resources.  

Then along came the Allbritton buy and WJLA as Sinclair grew and grew and he was bumped up the food chain...

Once the dust settles, WSMV will hopefully find it's groove again.  What some of these managers don't realize is a "back to basics" approach can work wonders.  Look at WVTM.  

And the same can be said with WAPT beating out WJTV in Jackson.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

If I recall correctly, BNS was trying to get Yolanda as early as 2012, to replace Andrea Cambern.  Perhaps if she would’ve joined them then, the energy could’ve remained. (Kristyn Hartman simply wasn’t a Cambern clone, and it didn’t work out - but I do feel badly for how she left...given the 10 still dominated with her at the helm.)

BNS is a tough station to watch...because truth be told, any energy and personality that station had left with Andrea Cambern.

(But I digress...Mitch Jacob will have his work cut out fo him at WSMV.  I remember his work at WTOL after his stint in Phoenix.)

Yes, there was an article in some publication where BNS management wanted Yolanda, but she was under contract with WSYX at the time.   Kristyn was a horrible choice as Andrea's replacement. In some cases it always hard to find the right candidate when replacing someone who been there a long time.  BNS whole contemporary branding/image is not them.  It's the station with the old guard, but what they're not good at is the young demo where WSYX does well in.  I read Mitch wasn't well liked in Phoenix, but did a good job at WTOL, but I guess that because of WTOL's #1 status during his time there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This after-newscast/party was posted online, it includes brief chats with John McCaa, his wife, his father, as well as past WFAA veterans Tracy Rowlett, Troy Dungan, Gloria Campos, and Byron Harris.  Also interviewed were GM Carolyn Mungo, current anchors Cynthia Izaguirre and Dale Hansen (who cleared up a misunderstanding).  Cake and wine were served, and McCaa sliced the cake.  All who spoke were heartfelt about having worked with and known McCaa.

I didn't realize it would be tonight for John McCaa's last newscast.  Best wishes and happy trails, John.  Cheers!

23 hours ago, Breaking News said:

Yes, there was an article in some publication where BNS management wanted Yolanda, but she was under contract with WSYX at the time.   Kristyn was a horrible choice as Andrea's replacement. In some cases it always hard to find the right candidate when replacing someone who been there a long time.  BNS whole contemporary branding/image is not them.  It's the station with the old guard, but what they're not good at is the young demo where WSYX does well in.  I read Mitch wasn't well liked in Phoenix, but did a good job at WTOL, but I guess that because of WTOL's #1 status during his time there.

Just out of curiosity, how does WTHR do with the young demo in its market?

On 3/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, Breaking News said:

Wasn't Yolanda supposed to have been paired with Jeff Hogan once Jerry Ravish retired if that was to happen?  I think Jeff got impatient and bolted for WRAL.

Speaking of WSYX, weren't they #2 when WCMH had Duane Pohlman co-anchoring the 5pm news?  Just curious, because he was there when Cabot Rea retired from the station around the same time. 

33 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Wasn't Yolanda supposed to have been paired with Jeff Hogan once Jerry Ravish retired if that was to happen?  I think Jeff got impatient and bolted for WRAL.

Both stations fight between each other for #2 and #3. Duane Pohlman is at WKRC now. 

IMO, WSYX is unwatchable, and it has nothing to do with Sinclair's must runs, etc. They just do a lot of low-brow/lowest common denominator type stuff that is straight out of 1994. ("What's in your fridge that could kill you and your family...on Fox 28 News at 10...")

Edited by H4UL4U

Anchor changes are happening at LA's FOX 11 (KTTV). Elex Michaelson is being moved off The FOX 11 Morning News (4:30-6am) and bumped up to the evenings pairing with Christine Devine

on FOX 11 News at 5 & 10PM. Dan Cohen has been pushed to the mornings anchoring with Rita Garcia.

1 hour ago, H4UL4U said:

Both stations fight between each other for #2 and #3. Duane Pohlman is at WKRC now. 

IMO, WSYX is unwatchable, and it has nothing to do with Sinclair's must runs, etc. They just do a lot of low-brow/lowest common denominator type stuff that is straight out of 1994. ("What's in your fridge that could kill you and your family...on Fox 28 News at 10...")

Their must runs only add insult to injury.

1 hour ago, mardek1995 said:

Their must runs only add insult to injury.

That’s every stations C block... 2 or 3 stupid stories after a break from weather and before a break for sports...

If somebody wants to be different they’ll run their last 15 minutes a night as an expanded two segment sportscast... but hey... what do I know... 

• Like 1

Here'e your yearly Mardi Gras costumes from the WWL-TV crew.

Caresse Jackman as "Storm".

https://twitter.com/CaresseJ/status/1103031050161262593?s=20

Paul Dudley and Kristen Pierce (Men In Black)

https://twitter.com/DCMonteverde/status/1102986132411858946?s=20

Duke Carter channeling his inner Beyonce?

https://twitter.com/dcarterII/status/1103016158503014402?s=20

Sheba Turk (Queen of Hearts), Eric Paulsen (Alice), Dave Nussbaum, April Dupree (Rabbit), Doug Mouton and Than Troung (chickens).

https://twitter.com/AprilDupre_/status/1103006858447650816?s=20

Chef Kevin Belton (The Mad Hatter)

https://twitter.com/ChefKevinBelton/status/1103001743011528704?s=20

Jade Cunningham, now-retired Carl Arredondo and Richard Lecompte (Black Panther)

https://twitter.com/carl_arredondo/status/1102983823346810880?s=20

Edited by PelicanGuy
  • Like 1