Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 2/15/2019 at 10:50 PM, rkolsen said:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Ed Ansin put some weird thing in the Trust for WHDH/WLVI and WSVN prohibiting their station from ever affiliating with or being purchased by NBC or any form of it in the future.  You know like The 700 Club airing on ABC Family years after numerous ownership changes. 

After what all Ansin went through with NBC nearly 30 years apart, I actually can't blame him for doing something like that. We'll probably never know what the Ansin's did to the management at NBC that caused the network to turn their backs on the Ansin's in both Miami and Boston but as we've seen with WSVN and now with WHDH they have survived not being affiliated with one of the big three networks and will continue to do so in the years to come

On 2/16/2019 at 5:28 AM, AmericanErrorist said:

The 700 Club thing is just a perpetually valid contract. Disney offered CBN a year's worth of the money they get from airing the show and its semi-annual telethons to buy it out, but Pat declined.

Disney can just wait for Pat to pass away and hope his successor is open to a deal.

• Like 1

Chris Parente, an anchor at Tribune's Denver duopoly, slid his stool back a little too far and shattered one of the monitors on their nine-screen video wall ON LIVE TV. Hopefully the tightwads at Tribune don't make him pay for the repairs ...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Robin Swoboda is returning to Cleveland television and WKYC.  She doing to do a YouTube series for them called "Going Rogue," and will interview celebrities and newsmakers.  She made the announcement on their morning show earlier today.

I dont know if this got mentioned, but KPRC is celebrating 70 years this year: They have added an interactive site on click2houston.com 

https://www.click2houston.com/s/anniversary/2000s/2007.html (there is a menu bar to the left that can go through the different years.)

Also, the crazy part is that Bill is fixing to get to 50 years of broadcasting, with right now 47 years in the city of Houston.

18 minutes ago, JacobC said:

Yeh my CBS station in Miami moved their screen big with time/temp. in 16:9 just a few weeks ago.

Actually I've discovered that all CBS O&Os are doing it. Except KYW and WBBM.

Edited by Darius22
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 10:08 AM, Greggo said:

Chris Parente, an anchor at Tribune's Denver duopoly, slid his stool back a little too far and shattered one of the monitors on their nine-screen video wall ON LIVE TV. Hopefully the tightwads at Tribune don't make him pay for the repairs ...

....and then, no sooner that the rear monitor is impacted, he goes and sits down on his tablet!  Is he really trying for 2-in-a-row?  Glad I don't have to replace that monitor.

• Haha 1

For the second time in over three years, KITV in Hawaii will be airing the 91st Academy Awards live at 3pm Hawaii Time.

They first aired the broadcast live in 2016. But in the last two years, they went back to airing the broadcast tape-delayed at 7pm local time.

Edited by CircleSeven
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, east-tx-tv said:

....and then, no sooner that the rear monitor is impacted, he goes and sits down on his tablet!  Is he really trying for 2-in-a-row?  Glad I don't have to replace that monitor.

From that video and others I’ve seen it looks like they’re just in color customized Otterbox Defender cases.  Those things are pretty tough to break and sitting on the screen directly won’t hurt it. (I had mine do cart wheels down the stairs with no issues and once fall and hit the corner edge of piece of furniture). 

On 2/20/2019 at 9:37 PM, Darius22 said:

Actually I've discovered that all CBS O&Os are doing it. Except KYW and WBBM.

WJZ too...it's bug has been 4:3-safe since the big "refresh" last summer

Tuned in today and well...my original post did not age well. I didn't know the bug moved. Last I saw it, they had it 4:3-safe for the post-Grammy newscast some weeks back.

Edited by TheFizzle21

4 hours ago, SFTV said:

No more Bay Area tidbits. Rich Lieberman suspends account indefinitely.

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2019/02/415-media-suspends-its-account.html?m=1

I will miss Rich...

Poor guy got pretty beat-up emotionally lately with the passing of Van Amburg,  the suicide of Cumulus/ KGO-AM810,  and finally the passing last year of his mother.

It's hard to make money off a local blog.  He gave it a good go and got some juicy exclusives... and he sure pissed off some folks.

I hope he comes over here and joins us at TVNT.

Signed

Frank Somerville

Edited by Eat News
Tom Snyder and Wendy O Williams 5-20-1981 Tomorrow Show..https://youtu.be/cBRAFpfnM9k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

Oh that is sooooo pretty!

It's a  2018 bell 505 Jet Ranger X....here are the flight specs.

https://www.helis.com/database/cn/49947/

Interesting choice with an omni antenna. Looks like the camera and microwave antenna is easily removable for maintenance or change-outs with another airship.

Would love to see more on this bird...hey @rkolsen do you have any details on this beauty?  Any tech specs out there yet???

Edited by Eat News
Sharks can't Google.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:37 AM, C Block said:

For ratings purposes, I'm fairly sure that Fairfield is considered the San Francisco DMA, but Vacaville is in Sacramento's. That means, for example, that KOVR doesn't get credit for anyone in Fairfield who might be watching them.

There are a number of odd overlapping carriage situations in the two markets that mostly date back to older cable deals or some other reason. KCRA is still on the Comcast lineup in Contra Costa County, and I'm 99% sure that's a leftover from the KRON/KNTV/NBC spat. KTVU can also be seen OTA and on cable in the Eureka/Redding and Monterey/Salinas markets, though a lot of that also stems from its superstation era in the 80s.

Fairfield is in the Sacramento DMA, it's Vallejo that's in the San Francisco DMA.