Out & About

TexasTVNews

On 12/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, Surplus Engineer said:

This opens up an alternate scenario for the WHDT purchase. They make WHDT a new Court TV affiliate and they instantly get clearance in West Palm Beach, Miami, and Boston in one fell swoop. Or it could be a complete coincidence and they just toss a bunch of syndicated shows on it.

Scripps is only taking the full-power station in Stuart. They're not acquiring the LP repeater in MIami, nor the station in Boston.

Anywho, the FCC just greenlighted the deal.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

KCDO (K3 Sterling - Denver) has just started to repeat some of KMGH's newscasts, most notable the weekday 6:00 (at 9:00 a.m.), 11:00 a.m. (at 1:00 p.m.), one of the weekend morning hours (10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Saturdays and 10:00-11:00 a.m. Sundays), weekend 5:00 p.m. (at 7:00 p.m.) and nightly 10:00 p.m. (at 11:00 p.m.).

Sorry this is a bit late, but they’ve been doing this on and off in recent times (IIRC, they did it about a year ago, the stopped). The also rebroadcast KGWN.2’s Northern Colorado News 5 (from the folks in Little Rock) years ago.

J

On 2/8/2019 at 8:30 PM, 8Viewer said:

There were rumors in 2017 that he was going to be replaced by Mark Rivera, who ended up leaving for WLS. 

As for the situation with the attorney, I don't know what to think. It seems a bit unethical. At any rate, I am sad to see him go. In some of the candid facebook stuff they used to do in the studio, Reggie seemed like a serious news guy. He had a good run. 

While it may have been ethically questionable -- reporters using their connections is something that happens all the time. I can't imagine his friendship with the lawyer is something WTSP didn't know until now. Seems to me like Tegna, which has a notorious distaste for over-50s, was looking for a reason to can him and the newspaper article was it.

Is anyone over 50 even left there anymore?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

While it may have been ethically questionable -- reporters using their connections is something that happens all the time. I can't imagine his friendship with the lawyer is something WTSP didn't know until now. Seems to me like Tegna, which has a notorious distaste for over-50s, was looking for a reason to can him and the newspaper article was it.

Is anyone over 50 even left there anymore?

Kathryn Bursch, probably. But she's more of a community affairs person. 

4 hours ago, JoseRM303 said:

King 5 7, 9 & 10 pm weeknight anchor Amanda Grace posted on Facebook that tonight is her last night at King 5. Says she’s stepping away from local television for a new opportunity.

Sure would be nice to have her back in Boston - Channel 7 is slowly imploding.

Edited by newsbot

54 minutes ago, JoseRM303 said:

King 5 7, 9 & 10 pm weeknight anchor Amanda Grace posted on Facebook that tonight is her last night at King 5. Says she’s stepping away from local television for a new opportunity.

Who?

This is a station that used to have recognizable names. They had that main anchor who replaced Dennis Bounds that lasted like a year and a half. Revolving door. Who's still left there?

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Ed Ansin put some weird thing in the Trust for WHDH/WLVI and WSVN prohibiting their station from ever affiliating with or being purchased by NBC or any form of it in the future.  You know like The 700 Club airing on ABC Family years after numerous ownership changes. 

5 hours ago, rkolsen said:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Ed Ansin put some weird thing in the Trust for WHDH/WLVI and WSVN prohibiting their station from ever affiliating with or being purchased by NBC or any form of it in the future.  You know like The 700 Club airing on ABC Family years after numerous ownership changes. 

The 700 Club thing is just a perpetually valid contract. Disney offered CBN a year's worth of the money they get from airing the show and its semi-annual telethons to buy it out, but Pat declined.

Edited by AmericanErrorist
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JacobC said:

Sorry bad move, their NBC O&O in Boston needs to end local news due to negative reviews. I’ll ask someone to resolve the conflict 

Wow, you’re not the sharpest tool in the tool shed, are you?

NBC is not shuttering NBC Boston’s news department. Period.

Lemme explain to you why NBC is going to continue running newscasts despite “negative reviews.” MONEY!  As long as NBC Boston can sell ad rates at a decent amount and turn a profit, then ratings won't matter as much as you think. This is also why stations have slowly begun to phase out syndicated programming in daytime — they can keep all the revenue in-house rather than sharing it with syndicators. 

You sound like Mardek’s cousin from Philadelphia who seems to think that shuttering a news department fixes its problems. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Let’s remember having news drives viewers.  Look at WWJ in Detroit, they don’t do news and it’s an after thought.  

CBS makes a bit of money with WWJ, seeing as they can run it as a simple pass-through. If they hadn’t been turning some sort of a profit, CBS would have unloaded it long ago and wiped their hands of that mess... :)

Edited by ColDayNews
  • Like 2