Out & About

TexasTVNews

Starting next week, KPIX is launching a 7pm newscast right after CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor at 6:30. 

Looks like they ate trying to compete with KTVU since they have a 7pm newscast on KTVU Plus

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

How the hell did John Weston get all his pals on that mic flag?

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

The_San_Francisco_Examiner_Mon__May_13__1968_.thumb.jpg.84817b5d6e913aa3ddab16eeb648d028.jpg

Who was the real John Weston?

That name sounds so '70s ...and SO made up.

I bet his real name was Melvin Schoonable or Jack Weaselface.

You guys can search him if you want...I'm having Vodka Tonics with my new buddy...

John Weston.

Edited by Eat News
Changed John Weston to the slanty letters to look cooler and more dynamic...John Weston...Your Channel 5 NewsBuddy!

20 minutes ago, NateinFLA said:

Looks like KRON — and perhaps more Nexstar stations — are venturing into 24/7 news.

Which reminded the geek in me of their NewsCenter 4 “24 Hour News — Every Day, Every Hour” days.

Sounds more like a revival of BayTV, a joint-venture of KRON and TCI/AT&T (it was shuttered just prior to AT&T Broadband being gobbled up by Comcast).

But no one ever did the 24-Hour News format better than CityPulse.

Edited by Spectrum27

31 minutes ago, Spectrum27 said:

Sounds more like a revival of BayTV, a joint-venture of KRON and TCI/AT&T (it was shuttered just prior to AT&T Broadband being gobbled up by Comcast).

But no one ever did the 24-Hour News format better than CityPulse.

I so agree! Citytv was really ON all the time with their CityPulse Newsflashes.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, newsbot said:

WGME had to evacuate their studios due to flooding; they're doing their newscasts out of a makeshift newsroom set.
DxtO0q6W0AAxk-L.jpg

WGME might want to consider doing what we did at KBEX-TV during our last flood.

We purchased these nice inflatable news sets from Alibaba.com.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-Popular-Inflatable-Bar-Inflatable-Service_60298572502.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.26.edac7ea1J8fThQ

162080904_Inflatablekbexset.jpg.9b24e0b6303096825a600e0d3b3880fc.jpg

Now we can broadcast live when our area floods. We just get a few cameramen on tire innertubes and LIVEU's...and we can drift along and still broadcast...while keeping dry.

The sets also come in festive colors, and you can even order sets with your station branding...order plenty in case a few get punctured or sink.

Edited by Eat News
Crayon Pop-Bing Bing (delinquent version) https://youtu.be/r0yii3pPNKw
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Ramona said:

The "KRON ON" brand is dumb...

They're missing a great chance to tap into California's legal growing pot culture...
...eh, growing pot, that's too much of a pun. Let's call it budding weed culture, yeah...
...anyway, now's their opportunity to rebrand themselves something like KRON-IK instead.  They could even retire that tired, out-dated Golden Gate Bridge-inspired "4" in favor of four joints in the shape of a "4."

"Tired of the fluff on the other stations?  KRON 4 News is BLUNT!"  I'm giving you a license to print money here, Nexstar.  You can thank me later.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brother said:

They're missing a great chance to tap into California's legal growing pot culture...
...eh, growing pot, that's too much of a pun. Let's call it budding weed culture, yeah...
...anyway, now's their opportunity to rebrand themselves something like KRON-IK instead.  They could even retire that tired, out-dated Golden Gate Bridge-inspired "4" in favor of four joints in the shape of a "4."

"Tired of the fluff on the other stations?  KRON 4 News is BLUNT!"  I'm giving you a license to print money here, Nexstar.  You can thank me later.

Can we steal Scott Budman from NBC-BA and have him host? I bet that would create quite a buzz .

Nextstar my want to dabble in this...but expect the whole idea to go up in smoke..

That's my 2 cents...or is it a dime bag?... do they still call'em "lids"???    

Or is "lids" considered some kind of slur now?.

image.png.0760e6eb34cd2f9ac4b1a73e85b6963f.png

Scott Budman wonders "why"?

Edited by Eat News
Unable to use the words bong and roach as puns
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

WJLA has a new ND, Cheryl Carson, who comes from Tegna.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/1/24/sinclair-finally-hires-nd-in-dc

From a group that no longer cares about news to a group that's has a very heavy-Republican view, welcome to D.C. Cheryl.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

From a group that no longer cares about news to a group that's has a very heavy-Republican view, welcome to D.C. Cheryl.

And yet, she came from a TEGNA station that was competing against a Sinclair-owned station in Seattle before getting hired by the Smith Empire to compete against her now-former employer in DC. This should be fun.

3 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

And yet, she came from a TEGNA station that was competing against a Sinclair-owned station in Seattle before getting hired by the Smith Empire to compete against her now-former employer in DC. This should be fun.

I'm guessing KING was generally beating KOMO in the ratings...

On 10/25/2011 at 12:39 AM, PelicanGuy said:

WVUE's noon anchor/reporter Liz Reyes will now co-anchor the New Orleans Fox affiliate's 6-9 am weekday show with morning anchor Rob Masson in addition to doing the noon show. Reyes replaces Jennifer Hale, who is now doing sports for the station.

Didn't they move John Snell & Nancy Parker to the morning news? Are they being ditched since the sale to Gray?

I thought about where I should be posting this, but with James Ingram's recent passing, I finally put 2 and 2 together in his involvement with the "Give Me 5" promo

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/legendary-r-b-singer-james-ingram-sang-in-promotional-video-for-news-5-in-1995

WEWS claims Carly Simon did vocals...but it is definitely NOT her.  I believe it's Andrea McArdle, the then-wife of Edd Kalehoff who was the original Annie in the Broadway musical, and sang lead vocals on Edd's "4 New York" campaign released several years earlier.

This was a great promo that had a limited shelf life due to the Browns' being yanked out of the city that year.  Not to mention, it was probably expensive. 

(WJLA had a campaign with Jeffrey Osborne back in the 80s that wasn't renewed due to $$$)

• Like 1