Out & About

TexasTVNews

You can't get much worse than Time Warner. I hope Comcast buys them.

Wow. I so disagree. About the only thing I don't like about Time Warner are their boxes, which are easily avoidable by buying a TiVo. Otherwise, I think they're a great cable company. From what I've heard, *anyone* else would be worse (not including Verizon FiOS, of course).

Sad News in the television world of a different sort.

The NY Times state this morning that founder of the Christian broadcasting network, Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), Paul Crouch passed away yesterday at the age of 79, after a long decade battle of a degenerative heart disease. Crouch founded TBN four decades ago, started by buying an LA TV station, and then with satellites, he would extend his reach to become one of the largest Christian broadcasters in the country.

My condolences go to his wife Jan, and the rest of his family.

I kinda have a feeling, that after all the rememberances, tributes and such, everything would probably be business as usual at TBN in Santa Ana. But let's not forget that these incentive spectrum auctions are next year. I'm not too sure who will take full control of the licenses of the full power stations. This may be premature, but could TBN be the next company to be involved in the auctions next year? The network already have a heavy cable and satellite presence, so I don't think many OTA folks would miss the stations that much. Also in the big cities like NY and Chicago, their owned stations are in the market's extreme far fringes (Ottawa, IL & Poughkeepsie, NY). They might want to at least think about exploring some options if they want to sell their airspace for the auctions.

And for the record, and I've said this many times on here. I'm not for these auctions, whatsoever. I never was when they started talking about this back in 2010. Because I feel that every station should keep their station, and not sell it for more wireless carriers to use. The FCC can find some more spectrum, and not take more of the TV spectrum away in the process.

Now for some news we're familiar with. It's a change of the LMA gaurd of sorts, making a newscast move channels.

KION-TV has announced that their 10pm produced newscast will be aired on the Central Coast CW on its DT2 subchannel, effective tonight. Today is the first day that it's former LMA partner KCBA (owned by Seal Rock Broadcasters) has formed a new LMA with Entravision-owned Univision affiliate, KSMS-TV.

At this time, No word if KSMS is going to produce a 10pm news on KCBA or not. Edit 12/2 at 1:27am/PT: Okay, this article states that KCBA will air KTVU's morning news (5-9am weekdays & 7-10am Sundays) and its 10pm news every night.

KION owner Cowles itself is awaiting FCC approval on their sale of KION, KMUV & KKFX to NPG, to grow their Cali presence. It will keep KCOY's license. Meanwhile, Cowles have completed their Montana acquisition from Max, as of Black Friday. Stations include KTMF & KFBB.

A triple whammy of goodbyes courtesy of TVSpy.

KTTV FOX 11's Carlos Amezcua is no longer the main anchor at the FOX O&O station. Amezcua leaves FOX 11 to start his own media and technology called "Carlos Media Group" in LA. His last day was last Friday. Amezcua's replacement has not yet been announced.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/carlos-amezcua-leaves-kttv-for-his-own-business_b110265

Kai Jackson is leaving Baltimore's WJZ CBS 13 after 20 years as anchor/reporter at 'JZ. Jackson will leave the station at the end of the year. Jackson's replacement on the 4 & 5pm News has not been announced.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/after-20-years-kai-jackson-leaving-wjz_b110216

Sonia Baghdady has left Hartford's WTNH ABC 8, Baghdady is now pursuing other interests and passions. Baghdady's replacement has not yet been announced.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/sonia-baghdady-leaves-wtnh_b110176

Meteorologist Derek Kevra is leaving WWL on Friday to join WJBK Detroit. Not sure when he starts there (edit: looks like he starts December 15th). He interned at WJBK in college and he grew up in Livonia, a suburb of Detroit.

See, a group goes away a couple of weeks ago, and one of the former execs already have a new position.

TVNewsCheck posted today that former president and chief operating officer of Barrington Broadcasting and current chairman of the CBS Affiliates board Chris Cornelius, has taken a new position as director of business development at Morgan Murphy Media.

WSYR Turnover

WSYR in Syracuse is having quite a bit of staff turnover as of late. First reporter Leigh Issacson left for Fox8 New Orleans back in July after her contract expired. Then weatherman Chris Brandolino is leaving to work in New Zealand. Tanja Babich is going to work at a station in the Chicago area. It was reported that Caroline Gable their traffic reporter, is not returning from maternity leave because she enjoys her new role as a mother so much. Finally weekend weathercaster Julia Weiden is leaving to go to a station in the southeast. They finally filled Issacson's position with Rachel Polansky from sister station WUTR. They promoted Stacy-Lyn Honda to take over for Babich when she leaves the station to work in Chicago. Jim Teske who is currently the noon meteorologist (what a waste of money to have a weather guy only for the noon news) will add The Morning News to his duties as well. They recently announced former chief met Dave Eichorn is returning to the station but they haven't found a slot for him yet (he will not be chief again, as Dave Longley will keep those duties). My prediction is he will take the weekend evening duties and they will find a new meteorologist to take weekend morning news, or just cancel the weekend morning news because Nexstar hates weekend morning news. Or they can just go with three meteorologist from now on, but that is doubtful as WSTM has four and the #1 station would obviously want to have four. Now they have to replace Weiden, Gable, Honda. So, hopefully they will back at full staff levels soon. I wonder if Nexstar has anything to do with all these people leaving but I highly doubt it.

source is cnyradio.com, you can find all of the articles there (too many for me to link)

According to her FB page, Tera Blake, the AM meteorologist at WCCB is leaving for another job (up north, but a couple of her recent twitter follows were WEWS personnel, so maybe there)

https://www.facebook.com/TeraBlakeWX/posts/613904455322729

You may be on to something. WEWS is down a meteorologist after Christine Ferriera quit. They have a freelancer filling in Saturday mornings but I would think they want to have their own in-house meteorologist again (Trent Magill got pushed to weekday mornings and I would assume he's staying there).

Now that I'm making the connection, I wonder if Juila Weiden is going to take a position at WCCB, since the article said she was going to a station in the southeast. I doubt it but it's a interesting conclusion if that does happen.

KSMP has hired Kelcey Carlson from WRAL to fill the anchor spot left vacant when Heidi Collins left the station this past August.

Didn't see this posted but...The revolving door continues at KSTP(/KSTC) as both am anchor Brad Sattin and am meteorologist Patrick Hammer have both been told their contracts won't be renewed when they expire in 6 months.

And, just for completeness. Barring anything unforseen KMSP Chief Meteorologist Ian Leonard will return to the air Monday. He has been out since early October suffering from the effects of post-concussion syndrome.

So, I was perusing the web earlier and went to Alvin Williams hard to read Examiner blog. I came across this:

I had noticed by the start of this calendar month that Jordan Early, one of the Internet reporters for WPMI-TV, had stopped appearing live during the station's local morning news program "Local 15 Today" on a daily basis. She usually appeared behind the news desk for the program with its regular news presenters (Pat Greenwood and Kelly Jones) as part of its 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. hours (the program was usually broadcast from 4:30 a.m. until a few minutes before 7:00 a.m. from Monday through Friday).

Personally I believe her departure from appearing live on the program on a daily basis benefits the program since her conversations with the news presenters during her live appearances made the program less professional and irritating. The program could be even better if its news presenters and reporters would not make comments about the news they present and maintain their professionalism and show respect for their selves.

I live streamed their newscast the other day and did not see Early, just Kelly Jones and Deitra Tate. So did they do away with this whole social media reporter thing? I hope so. What does Jordan do now? Just another GA reporter? Or if she is still doing this social media thing, does she pretape her reports now?

They also have two other social media reporters: Taren Reed and I came across another one, Abby Gresham. Do they really need three social media reporters?

Either or, glad they finally came to their senses and took her off the desk. It made no sense to have a social media reporter at the desk with the other three anchors.

So, I was perusing the web earlier and went to Alvin Williams hard to read Examiner blog. I came across this:

I live streamed their newscast the other day and did not see Early, just Kelly Jones and Deitra Tate. So did they do away with this whole social media reporter thing? I hope so. What does Jordan do now? Just another GA reporter? Or if she is still doing this social media thing, does she pretape her reports now?

They also have two other social media reporters: Taren Reed and I came across another one, Abby Gresham. Do they really need three social media reporters?

Either or, glad they finally came to their senses and took her off the desk. It made no sense to have a social media reporter at the desk with the other three anchors.

I think Jordan only does them occasionally during the morning show. Taren Reed still does them live and on a daily basis for the noon show.

Abby Gresham did them for a very short time, but this was short lived last year. Either her facebook page or twitter page must still be active.

Jordan and Abby must have some kind of role behind the scenes at WPMI....either as a producer or some kind of P.A. job....

According to Mediabistro/TVSpy, Paul Dughi to become the next GM of WAAY-TV. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/paul-dughi-named-vp-gm-at-waay_b110548

Checked out his Google+ profile, where he list his occupation as "turning around troubled companies".... he will certainly have his biggest life challenge with that property.

Gaard Swanson is leaving WKMG. Swanson is signing off at Orlando's CBS affiliate and his final newscast is tonight, morning anchor Matt Austin will succeed Swanson as anchor beginning Monday.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/gaard-swanson-signs-off-from-wkmg_b110566

This is why WKMG is last place in almost all time slots, because there's no stability there. Their main male anchors just keep coming and going. As you just start getting used to one he leaves.

Scripps is adding Newsy Videos to its portfolio. I don't think like an entrepreneur, so I never fully understood how Newsy made money. I guess the key is to start it and hope someone buys it.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/09/scripps-buys-newsy-for-35m-to-expand-from-tv-and-newspapers-to-digital-video/

Even more bizarrely, it's based out of Columbia, Missouri. Why? Does it have something to do with Mizzou's journalism school?

Even more bizarrely, it's based out of Columbia, Missouri. Why? Does it have something to do with Mizzou's journalism school?

Yes. Based on what I read, they're partners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsy.com

I'm surprised we don't see more videos from KOMU if that's the case, considering it's owned by Mizzou's journalism school.

Looks like Janet Zappala is no longer with XETV. She was anchoring the 10pm newscast shortly before November sweeps began and her bio was put up on SD6's website just a few weeks ago. Now it looks like she's gone. Very surprising to say the least, i'm curious to know what led to her departure.

Natalie Shepherd made her debut at WWL today. Natalie used to do the news in Tampa with WFLA. She'll anchor the 6 am 10 pm newscasts. Dennis Woltering will continue to do the 5 and 10 pm broadcasts wile Karen Swenson does the 5 and 6 pm report. Ya got all of that? Good.

Natalie Shepherd made her debut at WWL today. Natalie used to do the news in Tampa with WFLA. She'll anchor the 6 am 10 pm newscasts. Dennis Woltering will continue to do the 5 and 10 pm broadcasts wile Karen Swenson does the 5 and 6 pm report. Ya got all of that? Good.

No I didn't. Two women at 6pm? What's wrong with just having Dennis and Karen (or Natalie) do the 5, 6, and 10? Who does Natalie replace? I can't recall who left.

Oh and Angela Hill should not have retired. She obviously didn't enjoy retirement because now she's with WWL radio.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic