Out & About

TexasTVNews

Jim Rosenfield, a veteran anchor who made his mark in New York with WNBC and WCBS, is joining WRC in Washington, D.C. The NBC-owned station announced today that Rosenfield is coming on board as a weekend anchor.

“Jim is a talented anchor and reporter, but more importantly, he’s an all-around good guy,” said Camille Edwards, WRC’s vice president of news, announcing the move. “I’ve known him for almost 20 years, and I am so happy to be working with him again. He is a perfect addition to our winning news team.”

Rosenfield spent a decade working as a reporter and anchor in New York, first at WCBS, then at WNBC, then back at WCBS, where he replaced Ernie Anastos on the station’s evening newscasts. He signed off from WCBS for good in May of 2008.

Rosenfield worked at KTRK in Houston and WLS in Chicago before moving to New York.

“I am thrilled to be joining WRC and returning to the NBC family,” Rosenfield said. “This is an exciting time to be in the nation’s capital, and I look forward to working with one of the strongest, most respected television news teams in the country.”

That's a strange place for him to wash up...?

He also is a sideline report for FS Arizona coverage of the University of Arizona telecasts and works very closely with the university Not a bad move at all really

Jim Rosenfield, a veteran anchor who made his mark in New York with WNBC and WCBS, is joining WRC in Washington, D.C. The NBC-owned station announced today that Rosenfield is coming on board as a weekend anchor.

“Jim is a talented anchor and reporter, but more importantly, he’s an all-around good guy,” said Camille Edwards, WRC’s vice president of news, announcing the move. “I’ve known him for almost 20 years, and I am so happy to be working with him again. He is a perfect addition to our winning news team.”

Rosenfield spent a decade working as a reporter and anchor in New York, first at WCBS, then at WNBC, then back at WCBS, where he replaced Ernie Anastos on the station’s evening newscasts. He signed off from WCBS for good in May of 2008.

Rosenfield worked at KTRK in Houston and WLS in Chicago before moving to New York.

“I am thrilled to be joining WRC and returning to the NBC family,” Rosenfield said. “This is an exciting time to be in the nation’s capital, and I look forward to working with one of the strongest, most respected television news teams in the country.”

Big pickup

Leon Bibb is no longer the anchor of the WEWS 6 p.m. newscast, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports.

Bibb joined the Cleveland ABC-affiliate in 1995 and has been co-anchor of the 6 p.m. newscast since 2010. He will continue to anchor the station’s noon newscast, as well as its Sunday morning show, “Kaleidoscope.” He will also take over two new programs, “Leon Bibb’s Ohio” and “Leon Bibb’s Perspective.”

“Leon is still a very vital part of what we have here,” WEWS vice president and general manager Sam Rosenwasser told the Plain-Dealer. “We want to put a spotlight on what he has.”

Bibb’s replacement at 6 p.m. is Chris Flanagan, who also co-anchors the 11 p.m. newscast. He took over alongside Lee Jordan on Monday.

Chad Krispinsky, weekend sports anchor at ABC affiliate WYTV in Youngstown, Ohio, has been arrested for the second time on a DUI complaint. At around 2:25 a.m. ET last Thursday morning (June 1), A police officer in Krispinsky's hometown of Boardman, Ohio, saw Krispinsky’s car drifting partially into the center of the road on Market Street near McClurg Road in the southern part of town, but did not pull over Krispinsky’s car. The officer later noticed Krispinsky a short while later walking on Roche Way (a few miles northwest) and while speaking with him, detected the smell of alcohol on Krispinsky’s breath. Krispinsky refused to take a Breathalyzer test and was arrested, with his license suspended for one year.

34-year-old Krispinsky was scheduled to be arraigned last Friday in Mahoning County Area Court in Boardman, however court records don’t indicate if he attended the hearing. Krispinsky's first run-in with the law occurred In August 2010, when he pleaded guilty in a Canfield court to an amended charge of failure to maintain physical control of his motor vehicle after registering a 0.181 on a Breathalyzer test, more than twice the legal limit of .08.

Now, a few ramblings from the Dallas-Fort Worth DMA...

According to Uncle Barky, KDFW is getting a new nightshift general assignment reporter. Calvert Collins, formerly of KLAS-TV Las Vegas, will begin her first day at 4 on June 18th.

Dallas-based Fox4 will have a new nightside reporter in Calvert Collins, a Dallas native who's arriving from CBS station KLAS-TV in Las Vegas after a four-and-a-half-year stay.

The 2001 Highland Park High School grade, who also has a journalism degree from the University of Missouri, is scheduled to join Fox4 on June 18th.

News director Robin Whitmeyer, who announced the hiring, says in a publicity release that Collins' "tenacity, insightful storytelling and ability to produce a quality news report will be great assets to our station."

Collins describes herself as a "seventh-generation Texan . . . who rarely missed a Fox4 9 o'clock newscast growing up. I am thrilled to begin the next chapter of my life in my hometown."

During an earlier stint at Omaha's KPTM-TV, Collins made some news by posing with a Democratic congressional candidate on her Facebook page and urging friends to vote for him. The Fox station then dropped her in June 2007. KLAS hired Collins in November of that year.

Collins acknowledged, in a story by msnbc.com, that her father had made a $500 donation in her name to candidate Jim Esch, who lost the election. She also said that her father had donated $2,000 in her name to Texas Republican congresswoman Kay Granger in 2004. At the time she was a broadcast journalism student at the University of Missouri.

Collins told msnbc.com she removed the Facebook picture with Esch immediately after her KPTM boss heard about it, and said that establishing a rapport with candidates was part of her job as a reporter.

"In a way, I'm glad this happened to me at age 23, and not 33," she told msnbc.com. "And I will learn from it."

Collins was part of an msnbc.com investigation that identified 143 journalists who had made financial contributions to political candidates. Two prominent MSNC personalities, Joe Scarborough and Keith Olbermann, received suspensions in 2010 for their contributions to candidates.

Also, on the 18th, another familiar face returns to Big D, albeit, not on any of the local stations. Former KDFW morning shift general assignment reporter Casey Stegal, who left Ch 4 to become the Los Angeles newsroom correspondent for the Fox News Channel will now serve in FNC's Dallas bureau.

The lastest news ratings snapshot (June 7th)...

Fox4's news took the 9 p.m. hour in this key demographic while CW33's competing local newser registered "hashmarks" (no measurable audience).

Thursday's four-way local news derbies went like this: WFAA8 and CBS11 tied for the 10 p.m. spot in total viewers but WFAA8 ran first with 25-to-54-year-olds, the main advertiser target audience for news programming.

NBC5 had a doubleheader win at 6 a.m, with WFAA8 likewise sweeping at 5 p.m.

WFAA8 had the most total viewers at 6 p.m. and tied for first with Fox4 in the 25-to-54 demographic.

In management news:

WWL-TV general manager Bud Brown has announced his retirement after seven years of leading the station. Taking his place is native New Orleanian Tod Smith, who comes to station after serving three years as general manager of sister station WVEC. Ironically, Smith got his start in the business at WWL in 1980 in production.

Smith begins his new role next month.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orleans/New-Orleans-native-Tod-Smith-named-WWL-TV-general-manager-158893185.html

Boston Fox O&O WFXT is expanding its local newscasts beginning next month, VP-GM Gregg Kelley announced today.

Beginning in July, WFXT’s morning newscast, anchored by Gene Lavanchy and Shannon Mulaire, will launch a half-hour earlier, at 4 a.m. The station will also launch a weekend newscast at 6 p.m. The weekend newscast will launch July 7, and the 4 a.m. morning newscast will debut on July 9.

“This additional expansion reflects our ongoing commitment to covering news for the viewers wherever and whenever it happens,” Kelley said in a statement.

Popular Indianapolis meteorologist Angela Buchman is leaving WISH to join crosstown rival WTHR.

An Indiana native, Buchman has been with WISH since 2001. According to multiple sources, she is set to depart the LIN Media flagship for a job at WTHR, the market’s #1 station.

As the Indianapolis Business Journal points out, it’s unclear what the move means for WTHR’s primary meteorologist Chris Wright, who has been with the station since 1999.

Popular Indianapolis meteorologist Angela Buchman is leaving WISH to join crosstown rival WTHR.

An Indiana native, Buchman has been with WISH since 2001. According to multiple sources, she is set to depart the LIN Media flagship for a job at WTHR, the market’s #1 station.

As the Indianapolis Business Journal points out, it’s unclear what the move means for WTHR’s primary meteorologist Chris Wright, who has been with the station since 1999.

For some reason, I don't think Angela will replace Chris. I remember Jude Redfield doing weather for noon and 5:30 before he left. Chuck Lofton covered noon and Chris covered 5:30 since then. I'm thinking Angela will do weather for noon and team up with Chris for 5:30.

Well, Dallas-Fort Worth is getting another Spanish-language general entertainment station.

Going back to its Hispanic roots >> Uncle Barky confirms that HIC Broadcasting-owned independant station KFWD Channel 52 will be an affiliate for the new MundoFOX network, launching later this summer. This essentially ends the partnership between KFWD and WFAA, where Channel 8 and Belo basically did everything for KFWD except own them outright. KFWD will discontinue airing the "Wayback Machine" fare it currently has (Twilight Zone, Perry Mason, The Original Star Trek, The Jeffersons), and Channel 52 will also stop the nightly 11pm replaying of The News 8 Update. But MundoFOX will supply a network newscast. No word yet if MundoFOX will have any of its affiliates do local news. KFWD first signed on back in 1988 as the Dallas-Fort Worth/North Texas DMA's Telemundo affiliate.

Tom Leyden has been promoted to sports director at WXYZ, the ABC-affiliate in Detroit.

Leyden replaces Don Shane, who retired in March after 23 years at the station. He has been a sports anchor at WXYZ since 2004. In his new role, Leyden plans to expand the delivery of sports content on web and mobile platforms.

“We need to continue to stay current and relevant,” Leyden said in a statement. “That means finding new ways to deliver sports information to our viewers when and where they want it. We want to be part of their lives.”

Evening anchor Nina Radetich is leaving KTNV next month to pursue new opportunities and spend more time with her family, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“I’m looking forward to the next chapter of my professional life, whatever it may be, and really looking forward to more time with my family,” Radetich said. “My husband and son are the world to me, and being the best wife and mom I can be will always be my top priority.”

Radetich, who joined KNTV in 2007, anchors the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts at the Las Vegas ABC-affiliate. After her departure, weekend anchor Tricia Kean will move into the weekday evening anchor position alongside Steve Wolford.

• 2 weeks later...

In the latest blurbs from the Dallas-Fort Worth market...

>> Legal troubles continue to slowly but surely mount for WFAA-TV's Shon Gables. Gables, who has had a very ugly divorce and legal fight against her second ex-husband, Peter Klamka, has now had a second bench warrant issued for her arrest. This is the second bench warrant issued (this last Wednesday, June 20th) by a State of Michigan judge, and for the exact same charge as the first one, back on March 4th, 2011 - contempt of court for failure to appear.

>> Former WVEC investigative reporter and WFAA general assignment reporter Craig Civale will leave WFAA. His WFAA co-workers are reluctant to see him go - Jonathan Betz is quoted by Uncle Barky as "bummed". Civale has accepted a corporate position with local Dallas-area hospital operator Baylor Health Care System.

>> Local news ratings from the 20th...

In local news derby results, CBS11 topped the 10 p.m. field in total viewers but WFAA8 won among 25-to-54-year-olds, the main advertiser target audience for news programming.

Fox4 swept the 6 a.m. competitions and added 5 and 6 p.m. wins in the 25-to-54 demographic. WFAA8 and NBC5 respectively ran first in total viewers at 5 and 6 p.m.

Radetich, who joined KNTV in 2007, anchors the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts at the Las Vegas ABC-affiliate. After her departure, weekend anchor Tricia Kean will move into the weekday evening anchor position alongside Steve Wolford.

Tricia isn't a weekend anchor, she currently does the weekday 3:30 & 5pm shows alongside Wolford and is also a Contact 13 reporter.

Hubbard Broadcasting is shutting down news operations at KSAX, its ABC-affiliate in Central Minnesota, and 17 employees are being laid off.

“Although this has been a difficult decision for our company, we will be streamlining operations at KSAX-TV beginning today,” Hubbard Broadcasting president Rob Hubbard announced in an email to staff Tuesday morning. Hubbard plans to maintain KSAX’s studio in Alexandria, MN but the station will no longer produce local news. Instead, KSAX viewers will receive all of their news from sister station KSTP in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

In his announcement, Hubbard promised that the 17 employees being laid off would “receive severance pay and benefits, along with outplacement assistance.”

“We’re grateful for the service that KSAX and its employees have provided to west Central Minnesota for the past 25 years,” Hubbard added.

Jennifer Myers is joining KDFW in Dallas as the weekend meteorologist, the Fox O&O announced today. Myers begins on July 24 as the meteorologist on the Saturday

and Sunday morning newscasts. She comes from KVIA in El Paso, where she has been a meteorologist, reporter, fill-in anchor and web producer since 2010.

“I’m very excited about joining the FOX4 team,” Myers said in a statement. “Severe weather has always been my passion, so being in a place where I can do what I love is really something I’m looking forward to.”

• 2 weeks later...

WWL has hired two soon-to-be former Times-Picayune reporters:

* Brendan McCarthy - who was the paper's crime reporter - and David Hammer - one of the paper's former investigative reporters, will join the station's investigative team and contribute to weekday newscasts. Both start work later this summer.

EDIT: McCarthy and Hammer are one of a ton of reporters, columnists and editors given the pink slip by new TP publisher Ricky Matthews and head editor Jim Amoss. If you haven't heard, the TP is cutting its everyday publishing to three-day-a-week publishing this fall to focus more on nola.com.

Also, WVUE freelance reporter Jessica Holly will become the station's weekend anchor, beginning July 14.

• 2 weeks later...

• Anchor Paul Joncich is joining KLAS, the CBS-affiliate in Las Vegas, next month.
    Joncich comes from WOIO in Cleveland, where he has been an anchor for the past six years. At KLAS, he replaces Gary Waddell, who is retiring. Joncich will anchor the noon, 4 and 4:30 p.m. newscasts, as well as reporting for the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts.

• After 18 years as chief meteorologist at KOCO in Oklahoma City, Rick Mitchell is moving to Dallas to join KXAS.
    Mitchell replaces Jennifer Lopez, who left the NBC O&O earlier this year. Prior to joining KOCO in 1993, Mitchell worked as a meteorologist at WOI in Des Moines and at AccuWeather in State College, PA.

• Tampa NBC-affiliate WFLA has announced the launch of a 7 p.m. newscast beginning July 30. The newscast’s debut coincides with the start of the Olympics, which will air on NBC. It will be anchored by Jennifer Leigh, who currently anchors WFLA’s 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts, and one other person who has yet to be hired.

• 2 weeks later...

WGBA is getting....gasp!...a NEW SET!!!!!! And it doesn't look too bad [though it is small!] Teaser pic from their Facebook page.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/614933_10150948255151960_1308690876_o.jpg [not embedding---too huge!]

No word on HD, though I've seen one of their photogs in the field recently with a P2, so they are making some inroads in that direction....

WGBA is getting....gasp!...a NEW SET!!!!!! And it doesn't look too bad [though it is small!] Teaser pic from their Facebook page.

https://sphotos-b.xx...308690876_o.jpg [not embedding---too huge!]

No word on HD, though I've seen one of their photogs in the field recently with a P2, so they are making some inroads in that direction....

If JBG paid a design group any amount of money to come up with that, I would ask for a refund.

WISN news director Lori Waldon has been promoted to the same position at Hearst sister station KCRA in Sacramento.

From Duane Dudek, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

WISN-TV (Channel 12) news director Lori Waldon has been appointed news director at two Hearst stations in Sacramento, Calif.

Waldon will be moving on to KCRA-TV and KQCA-TV.Her last day will be Aug. 10.

According to a release from the station "Waldon's promotion is a result of her outstanding job performance leading the news team during her tenure" at WISN-TV. While here she oversaw the station's news coverage if of some of biggest local stories including the Green Bay Packers Super Bowl run, the budget battle in Madison and the recall election.

WISN-TV is locked in a pitch battle for news ratings supremacy with WTMJ-TV (Channel 4). WISN-TV won the last important ratings period in May, with help from Donald Driver.

His appearance on "Dancing with the Stars" drove ratings for the show through the roof, and enough viewers stayed tuned afterward to help WISN-TV win the 10 p.m. news race, with an 8.5 household rating average. The station ALSO won the 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts.

Waldon is a native of California and had previously worked as assistant news director at KVOR-TV and KMAX-TV in Sacramento, before coming to WISN-TV in 2006.

A national search will be conducted to find her replacement. Whoever they hire could have his or her hands full. The station's 10 p.m. newscasts lost about 50,000 viewers during its week long blackout on Time Warner Cable, and now is facing

Here is the complete press release announcing her departure.

WISN 12'S LORI WALDON APPOINTED NEWS DIRECTOR

AT HEARST TELEVISION'S SACRAMENTO STATION

WISN To Begin Immediate Search for Next Newsroom Leader

MILWAUKEE, (July 30, 2012) -- WISN 12 News Director Lori Waldon has been named news director at KCRA and KQCA-TV, the Hearst Television sister stations in Sacramento, Calif. Waldon's promotion is a result of her outstanding job performance leading the news team during her tenure at WISN 12.

“Lori has done an excellent job in leading the 12 News Team,” says Jan Wade, president and general manager at WISN 12. “Under her leadership we have earned numerous honors, done exceptional journalism, and provided the viewers of southeastern Wisconsin with high quality newscasts and reporting.

“Lori has worked hard, and has earned this promotion to another of Hearst Television’s leading stations,” adds Wade. “My job now is to look for our next newsroom leader, who will be someone who can take our winning product to the next level.”

Under Waldon’s direction, WISN 12 earned several prestigious honors, including a national Edward R. Murrow Award for "Best Newscast" and an Emmy for "Breaking News." The station was named "Best News Operation" by the Wisconsin Broadcaster's Association on two different occasions.

“It has been an honor to lead one of the finest newsrooms in this country. They are outstanding journalists and excellent storytellers, and they truly love the community they serve," says Lori Waldon, news director at WISN 12. "I have enjoyed every moment of my time here at WISN. While I am very excited about my new position at KCRA, I will miss the tremendous people here and the wonderful people I’ve met in Milwaukee. These five years have been an incredible experience for me.”

A native of California, Waldon came to WISN 12 in November 2006 from Sacramento, where she served as assistant news director at the duopoly KOVR-TV and KMAX-TV. She previously spent 13 years in news management roles at KPIX-TV in San Francisco.. Waldon was also a general assignment news reporter at television stations in Charlotte, N.C., Mobile, Ala., and Peoria, Ill.

Waldon holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, and a master’s degree from Northwestern’s prestigious Medill School of Journalism. Waldon has served as a visiting faculty member at the Poynter Institute for journalism and a leadership coach for the Radio and Television News Directors Association and Foundation. She is an active member of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Her last day at WISN 12 is Friday, Aug. 10. WISN 12 will begin an immediate search nationwide and internally for her replacement.

I forgot to post these (sorry!).

From Richmond...

Former longtime WWBT anchor Gene Cox is joining WRIC. He will be anchoring 8 News at 5:30 with Amy Lacey starting August 1st (tomorrow). Cox retired last year after 33 years with WWBT.

http://www.richmondm...0ddc14ced0ef6b1

http://www.mediabist...val-wric_b53650

Meanwhile, across the James River, Julie Bragg (who was Cox's co-anchor at WWBT [NBC12 News First at 4] before she joined WTVR sometime in the mid-2000s) is rejoining WTVR after a two-year hiatus from television. She will anchor CBS 6 News at 5 & 5:30 starting August 6th with Lorenzo Hall, who is currently the weekend anchor and reporter.

http://www.richmag.c...25cb7599ddfe42d

http://www.mediabist...richmond_b53946

EDIT: Forgot the name of WWBT's newscast.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic