Out & About

TexasTVNews

Here’s a interesting article from the NY Post. They’re alleging that Les Moonves is considering suing CBS about the leaks of information.  The article says that even though the leaks may expose CBS to a lawsuit from Les, CBS (either CBS or the board or a board member or Shari Redstone) they’d risk it to “boost the network’s case in the court of public opinion even as may end up complicating the network’s case of the court of law.”

Also worth noting that one of the law firms handling the case is in the same building where The New York Timesmare headquartered m 

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

The Katz Networks (owned by Scripps) is resurrecting Court TV as a new digital subchannel network. 

The new diginet will launch on May 1.

That'll be interesting, Court TV will have Tribune/Nexstar, Citadel, Entravision, Univision and Scripps as its initial launch groups. Scripps is basically helping Katz with bankrolling the venture since offering hours of live trial coverage each weekday would necessitate resources that Katz would have needed outside capital to raise when it was an independent company. What's not clear, though, is how much of a hand will Scripps' own stations have in the network's coverage.

It appears the OTA multicast version of Court TV may have a better or similar level of distribution compared to the cable version when it launched. Even still, it will still lack some clearance in certain areas for a few years, I would think. Digital multicasting is roughly at a point in its development to where cable was when Court TV launched in the early 1990s (minus the fact that there are no kids' channels akin in format to Nickelodeon or Disney [the ones that do exist are consigned to those that are E/I-compliant until elements of the Children's Television Act that made conventional children's shows unmarketable OTA are repealed], no pay services similar in structure to HBO, Showtime or even ONTV and SelecTV, and very few news and sports networks). Newer networks like Court TV and NewsNet will struggle to maintain clearances reaching more than 80% of the U.S., a la the major networks, PBS and MeTV, until every full-power station in all 210 markets consigns to the ATSC 3.0 standard. That standard would also make it so that certain networks wouldn't have to resort to LPTV outlets just to pad out coverage in large and mid-sized markets.

Edited by T.L. Hughes

2 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

That'll be interesting, Court TV will have Tribune/Nexstar, Citadel, Entravision, Univision and Scripps as its initial launch groups. Scripps is basically helping Katz with bankrolling the venture since offering hours of live trial coverage each weekday would necessitate resources that Katz would have needed outside capital to raise when it was an independent company. What's not clear, though, is how much of a hand will Scripps' own stations have in the network's coverage.

It appears the OTA multicast version of Court TV may have a better or similar level of distribution compared to the cable version when it launched. Even still, it will still lack some clearance in certain areas for a few years, I would think. Digital multicasting is roughly at a point in its development to where cable was when Court TV launched in the early 1990s (minus the fact that there are no kids' channels akin in format to Nickelodeon or Disney [the ones that do exist are consigned to those that are E/I-compliant until elements of the Children's Television Act that made conventional children's shows unmarketable OTA are repealed], no pay services similar in structure to HBO, Showtime or even ONTV and SelecTV, and very few news and sports networks). Newer networks like Court TV and NewsNet will struggle to maintain clearances reaching more than 80% of the U.S., a la the major networks, PBS and MeTV, until every full-power station in all 210 markets consigns to the ATSC 3.0 standard. That standard would also make it so that certain networks wouldn't have to resort to LPTV outlets just to pad out coverage in large and mid-sized markets.

Not only that, they're bringing back this look...

latest?cb=20170810154419

I'm a little shocked Turner was so willing to give up the CourtTV IP. There absolutely is a market for this kind of stuff and it's a bit puzzling Turner didn't try again with the brand through a rebrand of HLN.

Given the demos this type of programming typically attracts, it's also a bit of a surprise Katz partnered with Trib/Nexstar in the top markets, when the ABC O&Os probably would have been a more powerful fit.

15 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I'm a little shocked Turner was so willing to give up the CourtTV IP. There absolutely is a market for this kind of stuff and it's a bit puzzling Turner didn't try again with the brand through a rebrand of HLN.

Given the demos this type of programming typically attracts, it's also a bit of a surprise Katz partnered with Trib/Nexstar in the top markets, when the ABC O&Os probably would have been a more powerful fit.

Actually, yeah.  It would've been a much better replacement for HLN.

But I guess someone's watching Forensic Files 🙄

26 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Since Univision is a launch network this makes how many diginets the average Univision station carries? And is this initially pay for carriage diginet network, retransmission consent or barter deal?

IIRC, the Katz business model is to lease space on the subchannels of stations. That's why you see Grit, Escape, and Laff sometimes on two stations per market. 

Eventually, they're going to make a deal with Nexstar based on the Tribune deal and their existing relationship with them. 

3 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

AT&T is massively in debt, and Katz is a Turner alumnus. It adds up!

5 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

IIRC, the Katz business model is to lease space on the subchannels of stations. That's why you see Grit, Escape, and Laff sometimes on two stations per market. 

Eventually, they're going to make a deal with Nexstar based on the Tribune deal and their existing relationship with them. 

Is it possible Court TV could be added through an amendment to Katz's existing leasing agreement with Nexstar that covers Escape, Grit, Laff and Bounce TV?

Just now, T.L. Hughes said:

Is it possible Court TV could be added through an amendment to Katz's existing leasing agreement with Nexstar that covers Escape, Grit, Laff and Bounce TV?

It's quite possible. We've got duplication of Grit and Escape in Phoenix (via Univision and Nexstar), so I can see them substituting Court TV in those duplicate markets. 

7 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

This opens up an alternate scenario for the WHDT purchase. They make WHDT a new Court TV affiliate and they instantly get clearance in West Palm Beach, Miami, and Boston in one fell swoop. Or it could be a complete coincidence and they just toss a bunch of syndicated shows on it.

2 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

I'm thinking CourtTV might end up being a replacement for Grit. They recently lost a lot of their content (mainly action shows and recent movies) and are now stuck airing mostly old westerns shows from the 50's & 60's (and not the biggies like Gunsmoke & Bonanza). Just look at their most recent schedule, looks like something you'd seen on the Luken networks: 

https://www.grittv.com/tv-schedule/

12 minutes ago, hmaxhanson said:

I'm thinking CourtTV might end up being a replacement for Grit. They recently lost a lot of their content (mainly action shows and recent movies) and are now stuck airing mostly old westerns shows from the 50's & 60's (and not the biggies like Gunsmoke & Bonanza). Just look at their most recent schedule, looks like something you'd seen on the Luken networks: 

https://www.grittv.com/tv-schedule/

A lot of older westerns, but not much different than Starz Encore Westerns on cable. I wouldn't say they're in danger of falling like the Decades Network did. I still think Sinclair's TBD will be the next diginet from the large operators (I don't consider Luken to be one anymore, since they cater to low-power stations) to close shop or change format, and that will most likely be because of the Tribune/Court TV deal.

Edited by TVIntheDesert

TBD was a miscalculation by Sinclair. They thought millennials who "cut the cord" were buying antennas and watching over-the-air TV, when they're actually doing most, if not all, their viewing through streaming services. 

I'd like to see some internal ratings information on TBD. They're definitely not selling the network to advertisers based on ratings, but on the concept itself. 

As for Decades, that was an expensive gamble on both Weigel and CBS, and I'm surprised Weigel has kept it around without the CBS stations. 

53 minutes ago, TVIntheDesert said:

TBD was a miscalculation by Sinclair. They thought millennials who "cut the cord" were buying antennas and watching over-the-air TV, when they're actually doing most, if not all, their viewing through streaming services. 

I'd like to see some internal ratings information on TBD. They're definitely not selling the network to advertisers based on ratings, but on the concept itself. 

As for Decades, that was an expensive gamble on both Weigel and CBS, and I'm surprised Weigel has kept it around without the CBS stations. 

A lot of millennials grew up taking cable and satellite for granted and don't even seem aware you can get OTA TV, for free, legally. Though a lot of people don't have antennas either. If diginet operators were serious they'd push the antenna aspect harder or pull a stunt like offering to install one.

Also, please. Anything but a 24-hour Kids Click. I'm sure schlockmeisters like Andy Heyward are just chomping at the bit for that.

Edited by channel2

52 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

I’d laugh if the CourtTV IP deal with Katz includes the exclusive rerun rights to Forensics Files, given that it was CourtTV that commissioned the show in the first place.

The thing is Katz already has rights to shows like Forensic Files through its prior programming agreement with Turner. The IP deal affects Escape and Justice Network since both pool some of their programming from the Court TV intellectual property that Katz/Scripps now owns; that would suggest that Justice Network may lose a lot of that content (with the possible exception of shows such as Most Shocking that continued to air first-run episodes after the cable channel's conversion to TruTV).

As far as the new Court TV being a replacement for Grit, I doubt that. It seemed to me that the removal of their action programming was more the result of a format shift, since its entire entertainment schedule - minus the two hours of overnight infomercials it (as well as Escape) added recently - now consists of westerns (compared to the mixed format of action, adventure and western series and films that existed for about the first three of years of Grit's existence). The only plausible scenarios is that Court TV will be either a format overhaul of Escape (which seems possible, even though they just acquired Law & Order and Boston Legal, since the cable Court TV did air reruns of scripted crime dramas towards the end of the format) or as an entirely new network (in which case, Escape could shift more toward scripted crime dramas and scripted and unscripted mystery programming, and away from true crime shows).

The affiliation deal with Tribune would probably result in duplication being dropped in a few markets, like Oklahoma City, where KAUT and KSBI both now carry Escape on one of their subchannels, as a result of Katz cutting a leasing agreement with Griffin Communications to ensure full-market coverage for all their networks (Bounce TV, Laff and, after KOKH-DT2 dropped it for Charge!, Grit had been relegated to LPTV coverage in the market before October 1). Assuming that the new Court TV is launched as a new network, KAUT would replace Escape with Court TV on its DT3 subchannel. If Court TV ends up being an overhaul of Escape, then the network duplication on KAUT-DT3 and KSBI-DT5 continues.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic